Tag-a-long's Book Club 510 members · 1,118 stories
Comments ( 76 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 76
arcum42
Group Admin

So you want to promote your own story? Well, no guarantees that we'll look at it, but you can post it here. If you are promoting someone else's story, of course, you can do that here.

You may want to glance at our guidelines first, since if we do stop by, this is what we'd be following. Also, feel free to go through and thumb down everyone else's posts thumb up the posts for any other stories you like here, to draw attention to them.

Only one story per post, please, and use this form, with the title being a link to the story (except in the case of Mature-rated stories):

Title:
Author:
Genre:
Description:
Is there anything on the story you are particularly proud of?
Who do you feel this story is likely to appeal to?
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story?

I will be the first! Not because I think I am worthy, but because I have had a lot of bourbon! Perhaps you should take that into consideration.

Oh, and I also think that I am worthy.

Title: The conquering of Love

Author: Littlecolt

Genre: Adventure / Dark

Description: The changelings won after A canterlot Wedding. Twilight awakens to find herself in a dream world, crafted to make her pour out love and happiness for the changelings to feed upon. However, she soon meets Princess Celestia, who has found a way to traverse dream worlds. It is now up to them to awaken their friends and save Equestria. Along the way, they will find that not all dreams are so happy, and some secrets locked in the subconscious are perhaps best left to sleep.

Is there anything on the story you are particularly proud of? Well, my readers completely approved my my OC to canon character ship. Emphatically! To the point where readers were calling for it before it even happened! :rainbowlaugh: I try to keep the characters as close to canon as possible, but still interesting to read as a new work. I am really proud of the past for Celestia and Luna that I crafted, winding the changelings into the story. Overall I am really happy with this story, although it is still not complete. So come along for the ride!

Who do you feel this story is likely to appeal to? Fans of darker alternate universe stories. Those who are looking for new and interesting headcanons and theories about things. Those who don't want to read the same changeling lore a billion others have spewed forth.

Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? This is the pouring out of my very soul, my creative core. I don't release chapters until I am pleased with them, which is probably beyond the point when anyone else would be happy to see an update, but I must please myself before you all. Selfish? I think maybe, but the readers of the story seem to love it, and I can't argue with that.

H͉̭̭͈͗̔́̇ͨ̽͋̐͘e̴͈̖͈̲͎͓̹̩̓̈́͒͛̀͂͘l̼̣̻͈͙̠͍̜̄͑ͦ́́ͅl͖̎̾̚o̼͓̤̳͚̙̖̫ͣ͛̀̏̎̎ͭ̂̕͞͡,͕͔͎̯͕̒̇ ̟̻͚̙̀̎͒̌͛ͦ̀̚͜P̃̒̔̓҉̩̣̪̀́o͍̜̖̱̟̿ͦ̅͌̏̽ͨn̞̩͉̱͓̘̥̗͙̍͠ĭͤ̉͊̔͏̦̯̭͓͇̖e̢͇͖̜̥̰͎̫ͧ̇̿́ͥ͒̀̎͘͠s̱̦͎͍̃ͯ͘͜!̺̖͍͚͈̙̣̀͊̈ͨ
author; super trampoline
genre; lovecraftian feghoot
description; the mighty ̀Ẑͣ͗ḁ͇̝̘̠ͬ̽̏̎͝l̦̻̠̹̗͇̾̔g̜̬̥͇ͬͭ͗̎ò͏̖̲ oozes from across the void to bring you an important message!
what i'm proud of; i'm proud of the descriptive language i use
who would like this; people who are down for an odd detached short dark comedy should like this
other comments; this story basically grew out of the ending punchline. there are two versions because the mods don't like zalgo tet. my keyboard is falling apart or something which is why my shift key isn't working so everything is lowercase and nothing is capitalized. also my key before z but after y and colon key and enter key are broken. probably zalgo's fault.

Well why the heck not?

Title: Doing His Duty

Author: Wolfram and Hart

Genre: [Comedy] [Adventure]

Description:
A thousand years is a long time to be cooped up in a city full of crystals.

Two years after the return of the Crystal Empire to the realm of Equestria, Flash Sentry was itching to board the next train to anywhere the first chance that he got. That chance came in the form of a reassignment when Equestria and the Empire merged their royal guard corps. He was shipped off to Canterlot to become one of Prince Blueblood's personal guard, a position of great honor and prestige. Flash was determined to perform his duties to the best of his abilities.

Of course, his best may not be enough seeing as how almost every mare on the planet wants to murder the good prince.

The general silliness of the dialogue between characters. This is the first time I've ever tried to write a non-serious story and I think I found it to be my little niche among the seas of grimdark horse fics. I'm having a tremendous amount of fun writing it.

Anyone who likes a long-running blend of worldbuilding adventure and comedy with a story that moves forward at a steady pace.

While the main plot points revolve around Prince Blueblood's, uhh..."romantic escapades", please remember that they are all in good fun. SJWs need not apply.

Also, inb4 Flash Sentry hate

Seems like other people are doing it, so why the heck not?
Title: Lost With Friends: A New World

Author: TheBronyMatrixFilms

Genre: [Human] [Romance] [Adventure] [Alternate Universe]

Description: What was suppose to be a simple camping trip for four friends has an unexpected turn into a colorful new world. Will they adapt to this new world that is filled with mythical monsters and creature and talking... ponies?

Other than the fact that some people love it? I guess the characters themselves and how they are adapting to the world that they've been dumped into. And of the future ships. People are already guessed one of them and they want it. This makes me go all *SQUEE!*

HiE lovers in general and for anyone looking for a HiE story with something that I rarely see (Although that doesn't make it a bad thing): A small group of human friends in Equestria

I guess like most authors, I put a lot of work in this story not everything is going to come out perfect. And please excuse the long waits between chapters, real life sometimes likes to drag me away from things I like to do:twilightsheepish:
Although I have most of the story planned-out I always welcome suggestions and constructive-criticism! I can't always learn from mistakes or improve if I don't know what I've done wrong. :twilightsmile:

Title: Night Rose
Author: Grand Moff Pony
Genre: Romance, SOL
Description:
The sun has set, the moon has risen, and crowds fill the ancient streets of Marecelona to celebrate the night away.
Among them walks a solitary mare in a long, red coat. Few notice her, but those that do know exactly why she is there. She is there to dance.
This is my second attempt at developing an imagery driven story (the first being 'Unbound'). In other words, draw the scene for the reader and let that, rather than tons of dialogue, move the story along. This time around, I feel I did a much better job of painting the scene with enough detail to make it seem real to the reader while also keeping the pacing and flow from being obviously repetitive.

I'm also a bit happy about my success in portraying two characters that (should) be easy to picture, but yet are never specifically named in the story.
I think this will appeal to folks who are looking for a quick read that will take their mind to warmer places while we wait out the Winter. This would definitely appeal to folks who like to explore background characters, especially when those characters get to cut loose a bit and defy their on-screen portrayals. Also, this features Roseluck, and who doesn't like Roseluck? :)
This was musically inspired, so be sure to check the story description for a link to the aforementioned song. No need to listen to it while you read, but a quick listen might help get your mind 'in the groove', per se. ;)

Title: Confession of a soul mage
Author: SoothingCoffee
Genre: Human, Dark, Adventure
Description:

There's a time, when or where I would sit, and asks the same question over and over, "Where did I go wrong?" The answers would vary. Probably it was went I burned my father's workshop, or when I was sent into the Frontline, or maybe when I asked for Mr. Richard's help.

Whatever the cases were, I am now forcefully plunged into a world of colorful ponies... and other new races.
Still, with my trusty familiar, a new ghastly companion, and a favors, mayhap I would survive these odd conspiracies, a sadistic goddess, a certain spirit of chaos, and my sex addiction.

I won't probably survive this without missing a limb or two.

This is my second attempt at writing long length fic. To be honest, as OCs and Human characters go, I think I did a good job at writing the characters and the story. There's some uncomfortable dialogue, and few grammar errors, but I'm trying to fix those as well. Self editing and that jazz.

Personally, it's for those that likes adventure, with no-kind of leash over it. Meaning everything could happen. Heck, I just upped the risk by changing it from T into M. Not that the M part is a major part of the story. It's just there because it would fit with the whole premise of the story. Also, Black Comedy. It's my favorite kind of coffee.

This is inspired by a few fics out there. One of them being Jericho and Diaries of a Madman. I just love the idea of having my main character having an adventure that could've resulted in so many wrong things. One of them being torturing my character.

Title: A World Without Kindness

Author: Billymorph

Genre: [Sad][Dark][Adventure][AU]

Description:

The war between Nightmare Moon and Princess Celestia has destroyed Equestria, leaving the few survivors to struggle to survive in a dying world of eternal twilight. Fluttershy, twisted by the war, now ekes out an existence in Everfree forest but even that life is under threat. Twilight Sparkle is coming, leading the last army of Dawn, and she will let nothing stop her from retrieving the Elements of Harmony and saving the world; not even old friends.

This is by far and away my best story, but it's my favourite because it is very tightly written. It's a very dense piece, as it was written to a word limmit, so there is no waffle and the only scenes in are those absoultely necessary for the plot.

Anyone who likes Fluttershy standing up for herself. Anyone who likes their stories to be darkest just before the dawn. Anyone who wants to see the Mane Six pushed to their absolute limmits and anyone who likes it when the line between good and evil begins to blur.

Just give it a shot. I promise you won't be disapointed.

4025865 Well, I do have one story.

Title: Most Faithful Mirror

Author: Just A Fabulous Cat

Genre: [sad] [alternate universe]

Description: It's a story about Celestia feeling so guilty about Sunset leaving that she goes to the point where, long story short, switches places with her counterpart. The story then focuses on Celestia going through with the choices she's made. Nothing special.

Eh, guess it's well written.

Not many people. Maybe someone who likes the occasional story about an alternate universe.

No, not really.

Title
The Light that Ignites in the Dark

Author
Loganberry (given this is a self-promotion thread, anything else would have been a surprise! :rainbowwild:)

Genre
Slice of Life

Description
Rainbow Dash and Rarity have a chalk-and-cheese relationship at the best of times, but when Dash makes a mess of a special effect for a fashion show in front of some of Canterlot's most influential ponies, the unicorn is furious. Embarrassed and miserable, Rainbow believes she deserves to be alone for a while. Her friends may have other ideas.

The characterisation and interaction between the main characters, especially that involving Rarity and Rainbow Dash. Also, the restrained, at times somewhat understated atmosphere, especially certain things left unspoken.

Readers who aren't necessarily looking for wild adventure or screaming comedy, but are in the mood for a character-based piece with a heartwarming element that leaves them feeling happy to "know" these ponies. Those who like reading about friction between Rarity and Rainbow Dash should also like it.

The title and one or two incidental plot elements were inspired by the song "Shine Like Rainbows" from Rainbow Rocks, but this is not an Equestria Girls fic and does not require any familiarity with that universe.

Title: Three from the Forest
Author: Zodiacspear
Genre: Adventure
Description:

Wanderer, a colt living in a small town of Equestria, has dreams of being a grand adventurer like his heroine Daring Do. It was not until he met two other foals who had moved to Greensborough from the big city, did he find the companions that he had sought after. Together, they would trample through the town and forest in the pursuit of their purpose in life. This is their story, the story of the three ponies who would become the precursors of the rise of Order.

Is there anything on the story you are particularly proud of? The characters and the story. The three original characters who star in this story have been an absolute joy to write for. The characterization I am particularly proud of. Each one of them has unique desires, dreams, flaws, quirks, hopes, fears and more that makes them believable and relatable. This story is my answer to the negative stereotype that original characters have. All told with light-hearted comedic adventure story that not only sets up my characters, but also begins to build the world they and established characters will interact with as the Harmony Undone series unfolds.

Who do you feel this story is likely to appeal to? Readers of high adventure, deeper world building, and stories featuring original characters.

Is there anything else you would like to say about this story? While many are not fans of original characters, I hope that readers will find mine enjoyable compared to the many that often give original characters a bad name. It is my hope that my readers will smile at their triumphs and jokes and frown at the rough points in my character's lives.

Title: Equestria's New Nightmare
Author: Well, this is the SELF-Promotion thread, so that would be me, Voldine
Genre: Slasher. Tags include: Crossover, Dark, Tragedy, Gore, Mature
Description: Pardon the quote being broken up, but I find that many miss the hidden message.

Open the door to an unknown world. Never think about what may happen. Enjoy your peaceful nights.

One

Think about your friends. Will they be able to help you? Only time will tell.

Two

Find yourself in the shadows. Reach for the stars for their light. Even in dreams there are consequences. Don't lose sight of your goals. Dream in peace; secured by your sovereign. Youth is fleeting, So enjoy the time you have.

Freddy's

Close your eyes and sleep. Open your mind and dream. Mend your aches in slumber. Indulge in fantasies fleeting. Never mind the shades of doubt. Gleefully laugh at impossible antics.

Coming

Find your center. Observe your balance. Refine your mentality.

For

Youth is wasted on the young. Onwards unto death's embrace. Until you wake, if you ever do again, you're in my world!

You!

Is there anything on the story you are particularly proud of? Proper use of Early Modern English grammar and vocabulary during a scene where Luna is shaken by something she just saw.
Who do you feel this story is likely to appeal to? Fans of Luna, fans of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, people who enjoy a good thrill in general. Also, people who want to see ponies die in imaginative ways.
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? Expect sunshine and rainbows as well as blood and gore. Just because the story focuses on dark things happening doesn't mean that the generally lighter world vanishes.

Title: Sleepless

Author: Samey90

Genre: horror. Tags include tragedy, sad, dark, and slice of life.

Description:

Strange things happen in Ponyville. Foals start to disappear; their parents and siblings, struck by grief, will resort to every mean to find the cause. Some of them blame timberwolves; some blame the zebra living in the forest. Some of them even blame their fellow ponies. None of them, however, suspects a little filly suffering from insomnia...

The mood and the depiction of Diamond Tiara's descent into insanity. Also, the whole sideplot depicting other ponies' reactions.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon's fans, and readers who enjoy psychological grimdark with plot. Also, people who like continuity nods will surely enjoy the sequels/side stories.

It was inspired by Bootsy Slickmane's Insomnia and I recommend reading it before reading Sleepless.

Hmm, can I, an unknown in the world of FiMfiction, justify such shameless self-promotion? I'll let you, dear readers, be the judges of that.

Let's start with something short and simple! I'd love to recommend my long fic (my Trek cross), but we'll save that for another time. So, for your consideration, I humbly present...

Title: Fleur de Scratch

Author: metroid_freak, Proud Citizen of the Upper Echelon of Mediocrity

Genre: Romance, Comedy (maybe a little)

Description: There are few situations more frustrating than when a carefully-laid plan doesn't go the way one expects or wants it to. But just because a plan goes wrong doesn't mean that everything won't turn out right.

Well, it was my first attempt at shipping characters from the actual show itself, and was met with very positive responses. I particularly enjoyed the scene in which Fleur reveals that she's part "Scoltish", and goes on to say a couple lines in a hilariously bad Scottish impression. I wanted her to be unafraid to show a quirky, silly side. Oh, and Vinyl's always fun.

People who enjoy unusual pairings, crack shipping, feels in general, etc. I like to think outside the box as much as I can (or at least try to).

Well, not a heck of a lot, besides the fact that, for reasons I cannot explain, Fleur has become one of my favorite characters to work with. Not really sure why but I really like writing her in a different light than what everyone expects. I didn't really do that here but in my future ones, I certainly will.

Well, I've shamelessly self-promoted this fic in other places, so I might as well do it here too.
Title: Twilight's Strange New Illness

Author: keulan742

Genre: Romance

Description: Twilight Sparkle is experiencing some strange new symptoms when she's around one of her friends. She's worried that it might be a new illness. Perhaps Twilight is wrong and the feelings she's dealing with are something else entirely.

Is there anything on the story you are particularly proud of? I'm proud of the fact that, for my first (and so far only) story, I managed to get the characterization pretty good, and more readers seemed to like it than dislike it. Also, it was apparently good enough to get into Twilight's Library, back when that group was still taking story submissions.

Who do you feel this story is likely to appeal to? People who like fluffy romance one-shots, I guess. I don't know. :unsuresweetie:

Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? Not really. I don't want to spoil it for people who haven't already read it. Hope you enjoy it! :twilightsmile:

4030789 I gave your story a downvote because IMO it was just a bit on the messy side for me, too many OC's to keep track of and I couldn't really get into it. (i meant a downvote in this thread, not on the story itself)

Title: Camp Twilight

Author: Follow Focus

Genre: Romance, Slice of Life

Description: Twilight has finally got her summer camp up and running, and she and Spike are ready for anything... With the exception of the usual summer camp drama.

Is there anything on the story you are particularly proud of? It was written for an "Unusual Spike-Ship" contest, and I think it could of had a good chance of winning (the winner was never decided), in the end it doesn't matter, I just had a lot of fun writing it! And I hope that you would have a fun time reading it :D

Who do you feel this story is likely to appeal to? Anyone who is a fan of an unusual shipping pair! (This means Spike and Twist :D)

Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? No not really, I hope that you enjoy :D

I suppose I'll give this a shot!

Title: A&E: The Case of the Obsessive-Compulsive Disorderer

Author: TGM and Doccular42

Genre: Comedy/Mystery/Adventure

Description: Amethyst Breeze and Ember are two detective mares who recently established a Private Investigator's office in Ponyville. Low on funds, the two mares take almost any job, so long as it pays. However, when things in Ponyville start getting turned upside down, literally, the two mares discover that they may have bitten off more than they can chew...

This story has been featured on Seattle's Angels, Equestria Daily, and has received a flawless Rage Review. It has good grammar, great humor, and some very memorable OCs. It's also the first in a series of mystery fanfictions that are akin to great buddy-cop sitcoms such as Psych, Brooklyn-99, or Moonlighting. It is my best work, and people seem to like it!

Those who like fun OCs, a mystery theme, and comedy will enjoy this story!

Not really. Thank you for stariting this book club, and I hope you enjoy the story!

Title:My Special Somepony

Author: Gumball2 (me)

Genre: Slice of Life

Description: Pinkie has never heard of Hearts and Hooves Day, and certainly not the idea of a "Special Somepony". But the idea of having a "super best friend" is enough for her to find one.

It has not been accepted into any prestigious group yet (however it is pending in the Royal Guard). But I believe I have truly captured how Pinkie and Fluttershy would act as fillies. I also think I have an all-around well-written, feel-good story. Of course, that's just my opinion.

-- Anyone that likes Fluttershy and Pinkie (especially as fillies)

-- Anyone who believes that two ponies can just be friends.

-- Anyone that prefers light-hearted, cute stories

Let the story speak for itself.

Title: In Somepony's Shadow

Author: Whammy

Genre: Slice of Life

Description:
It's been several months since the Alicorn Amulet incident, and much has changed for the Great and Powerful Trixie. Her reputation damaged once again, she continues on with her magic act, determined to try and turn over a new leaf. With Twilight Sparkle now an alicorn princess, however, Trixie finds herself plagued with nightmares and a renewed sense of jealousy. Sympathetic to the mare's feelings, which mirror ones she once held long ago, Princess Luna decides to intervene.

So far the main thing people have said in terms of positive comments is I've had some good characterization of Trixie and Luna . Part of what helps with that is that I play Trixie on my RP site, and the whole story is inspired by events going on the site with Trixie and Luna so I have someone I can bounce ideas off of and get a sense of how to write her. I also got some praise for cleverly using the dream world for a magic duel between them so they could be on par in the duel (obviously in the real world Luna would have the easy advantage).

Trixie and Luna fans who are interested in seeing a student/mentor relationship between them.

I had originally planned on it being a ship fic, but decided against after a chapter or two went up. Nothing in those chapters are ship-fic oriented though so it shouldn't make them seem odd in the long run. Just an interesting bit of trivia I guess.

Title: Guilt of a Phantom
Author: Powerdrainer
Genre: Crossover, Adventure, Human.
Description: It's a crossover with the show Danny Phantom.

Danny Fenton, just your average teenage boy.

He goes to school, has to deal with bullies, homework, fight ghosts, and keep his other half a secret from his family. After an accident with his parents ghost portal his D.N.A. became infused with ectoplasm, turning him into a half ghost.

Now Danny Phantom, he took it onto him to fight ghost while struggling to learn to control his new found powers. Luckily he has his two best friends, Sam and Tucker, with him to help him deal with the everyday ghost life.

Together they went through all kinds of supernatural adventures. Together they stood in the way of many ghost attacks. Together they kept their city, Amity Park, safe. Together. Always together.

Until that one fateful day. The day that everything changed. The day that three became two and Danny's life changed forever. Struggling with his guilt for his failings and letting down the one meaning most to him he runs away, desperately trying to get away from the nightmares that haunt his memories. But, as the saying goes: ''You can run, but you can't hide.''

Is there anything on the story you are particularly proud of?: It's my longest fic, which continues to grow to this day. Both by new ideas from my self as well as my fans. In particular a comment of one of my readers which sparked a whole new idea which led to the creation of a side story closely intertwined with the main fic.

Who do you feel this story is likely to appeal to?: People who like the show Danny Phantom,

Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story?: Updates might not be all that fast, but when it does, there is a whole lot of new stuff to read.

Title: Silver Spirit, Ghost of Equestria
Genre: Crossover, Adventure, Human.
Description: Side story to Guilt of a Phantom.

In their quest to earn their cutie marks, and possibly find some answers for the strange events that have occurred, Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo find that they have taken on more than they can handle. How will they deal with this? And what will Sweetie Belle do now?

Is there anything on the story you are particularly proud of?: It got featured once.

Who do you feel this story is likely to appeal to?: People who like the show Danny Phantom, or who like to read a fic with the Crusaders going ghost hunting, while Sweetie Belle herself has ghost powers as well.

Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story?: As mentioned, this is a side story to an even bigger fic which overlap from time to time. The events happening in one fic are important to the other, and vice versa. Also, updates might not be fast, but when it does there is a lot of new stuff to read.

Title: The Baltimare Incident
Genre: Crossover, Adventure. Human.
Description: Side story to Guilt of a Phantom and Silver Spirit, Ghost of Equestria.

It happened several years ago, this one event that changed the lives of many. An event of which not many know what happened, except those who were there. They speak of it in hushed whispers, not daring to talk about it at all. They do not understand how the humans can live like that, the constant fear. But after what had happened, they know all too well why they fight. The threat of the ghosts now fully apparent to them, and a change that affected many.

They speak of it in hushed whispers, that one event. The Baltimare incident.

Is there anything on the story you are particularly proud of?: Coming up with all these characters and their personalities. Whether they are the parents of Applejack, Scootaloo, or the father of Rainbow Dash. Other character creation as well, but with the canon characters like Maud and Pinkie Pie. Or Soarin and Spitfire.

Who do you feel this story is likely to appeal to?: People who like the show Danny Phantom.

Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story?: This story shows what happened before the fics Guilt of a Phantom and Silver Spirit. How their worlds met,. What happened when they did. And how this affected some of the ponies.

Title: A Game of Kings and Pretty Pony Princesses

Author: Lost Marbles

Genre: Comedy, Action/Adventure

Description: THauteclaire and the Court of the Mouse King have come to Ponyville to play a game. Will Celestia, Luna, Twilight, Discord, the Elements, and Spike be able to survive 'the game'?

Follow Hauteclaire, the Mouse King's bard and punching bag, as he puts up with his sadistic, powerful, and dimunitive King; Porthos, a drunk the size of a carriage; Marcus, his know-it-all brother and hack poet; Godiva, a violent pony-fanatic; Knebryter, a pony head on a stick; nosy ponies, friendship, immortality, bad jokes, and pretty much everything else that pisses him off.

The comedy and character development.

Those who enjoy a good laugh, good characters, a bit of mystery, and fun. Lots and lots of fun!:pinkiehappy:

You see those seven down votes? Those were from my first attempt at the story before I got the wonderful AlicornPriest to be my editor. The story was scrapped and rewritten. Now I feel the story is much better and more deserving of a look. I feel that those seven down votes warn away potential readers who would really enjoy the story.

I am new to FiM:Fiction but I am hoping people might look at my piece

Title: And Then There Was One (http://www.fimfiction.net/story/245281/and-then-there-was-one)

Author: ElementalPony

Genre: Dark, Tragic

Description: After being relieved of the elements of harmony, Discord once again rises up against Equestria with his chaos magic. Twilight's friends, one by one, fall into despair, eventually leaving only twilight to deal with Discord. Will she have the strength to stand up, or will she succumb to his chaotic control?

Is there anything on the story you are particularly proud of? The conclusion which I worked really hard on. I wanted it to feel as skin prickling as possible.

Who do you feel this story is likely to appeal to? People who enjoy reading dark/horror stories. It's really more of a psychological horror.

Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? I worked really hard on it, but I don't know if it's any good. Again, I'm fairly new to FiM:Fic so I don't know if there have been similar stories or ideas already out there. I just want to share my thoughts with everyone, and hopefully get some fair feedback. I totally understand if it's not so good, but I'm never gonna improve if I don't know how to get better :)

4036090 While i think you have potential as a writer i don't think this story is up to par just yet, I would suggest to hone your skills as a writer and try again later.

4034513 I tried reading this story but i really couldn't get into it, was not enjoyable for me so i have to give this story a pass.

4032415 I really liked this story! have my thumbs up

Oh my.:fluttercry: I'm sorry to hear that.

Could you tell me what you didn't like about it?:unsuresweetie:

4039384 Thanks for the response! However your comment isn't overly helpful. Can you elaborate on which elements you thought needed improvement? For example: Is it too boring? Is it too confusing? Are there not enough/too much description? Any specific elements would be helpful in making improvements. Thank you.

4039587 It was partly because the main characters were unrelatable to me so it wasn't really immersive for me. the way you wrote the dialog for the characters also didn't really work well for me.

but it is nothing personal though.

Thank you very much for your input. I'm sure it will help me in the future. :pinkiehappy:

4039604 yeah sorry about that, being descriptive isn't one of my strong suits.

the pacing of the story wasn't as good as it could have been,
the story doesn't really flow, sentence wise i meant.
and the ending could have been better IMHO.

4039662 I guess that's fair, I did write it quickly (It was kind of a spur of the moment thing.) The only part I will disagree with is the ending. Maybe it could have been written better, but that was what I wanted (storywise). It was meant to end with despair. I think in the future I would do more of a lead-up instead of a quick one shot story. I actually considered expanding on the story, but decided against it. I think maybe it suffered because of that aspect too.

Anyways... thanks again!

Title: The Tree of Life
Author: Crash 10
Genre: Dark, Crossover, Alternate Universe
Description: Celestia has been secretly going to the Everfree forest on her own lately. She has been quiet about it, and Luna, unable to enter her dreams to find out what is going on , follows her sister. When Celestia tells Luna of a threat that will attack Equestria, Luna agrees to help her sister.
With the help Discord, the two sisters will find something hidden in the Everfree forest that will change their lives as well as Equestria 's future forever.
Is there anything on the story you are particularly proud of? For my first story I am really proud of the fact that with a story is filled with no OC characters, I feel like I portrayed the characters very well.
Who do you feel this story is likely to appeal to? People who enjoy dark stories and Pokemon.
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? Too any Pokemon fics in this site involves a trainer or a Pokemon being magically transported into Equestria and save it. I wanted to do something different with a MLP/ Pokemon crossover.

JMac #36 · Feb 4th, 2015 · · 1 ·

Title:Quizzical
Author:JMac
Genre:Slice of Life, Comedy (with a bit of a side track into Adventure)
Description:Quizzical Greystone comes to Ponyville to study friendship. She subsequently makes a few friends.
Is there anything on the story you are particularly proud of?The creation of a compelling OC, who readers want to read more of. There are nine sequels (and counting).
Who do you feel this story is likely to appeal to?Fans of FIM. This story is very much in the FIM universe, with the inclusion of Quiz being the only divergence.
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story?It's a silly and at times tender little bit of fluff, and an easy read.

Title: First Steps

Authors: Steel Resolve and xjuggernaughtx

Genre: Romance, Comedy, Slice-of-Life

Description: Rarity has had a horrible summer. She was invited to Baltimare to make costumes for a local play, inadvertently caused a citywide riot, and that was only the start of her problems. Now she is coming home, intent on seeing the one pony who might be able to bring a smile back to her face.

Is there anything in the story that I'm particularly proud of? This is absolutely the Pinkie Pie that I've always wanted to write, and I know Steel Resolve loves his Rarity in this story. It has given me a chance to really stretch Pinkie in directions that I think she isn't allowed to go in very often. I wanted to show her as a fully functioning adult with lots of facets.

Who do you think this story is likely to appeal to? Fans of deeper characterization and readers who are looking for more meat in their story than a quick and jokey crackfic.

Is there anything else you'd like to say about this story? This is a sequel, but no knowledge of the source material is really necessary. We've outlined anything the reader really needs in the story itself. This is one of my favorite things I've work on here at Fimfiction, so I'd love to share it with you. If you decide to take a look, I'd like to say thank you in advance.

Title: A Dream of Sunny Days

Author: Roranicus

Genre: Dark, Sad, Adventure.

Description: When Princess Celestia is found dead, a new ruler must take the throne. Without the Princess' leadership, many opportunist factions find themselves free to act as they see fit. Until now, Equestrian politics had often been overlooked, thanks to the benevolent Princess of the Sun wisely presiding over them. Now, betrayal and secret plots run rampant in Canterlot's court. Five ponies are sent to the different corners of Equestria in an attempt to save their broken nation.

What I'm most proud of is the mystery. Many readers have told me that they feel drawn by the various questions the story raises and can't wait for the next chapter. I'm also very proud of how I present the characters. I try to stay true to what we know of them from the show and have them evolve into the story's darker themes rather then change their maturity level to fit the tone.

I wrote this for people who enjoy long stories with a certain level of complexity. It's also inspired by A Song of Ice and Fire, so fans of this series might find interest here. Overall, anyone who enjoys political turmoil should be interested in A Dream of Sunny Days.

While this is inspired by A Song of Ice and Fire, it is not, in any sense, a crossover. It does follow a similar POV character structure, where chapters follow different characters, each having their own storyline and challenges.

I guess I'll take a crack at it:

Title: The Rock Farmer's Daughters

Author: Sketcha-Holic

Genre: Alternate Universe, Romance

Description: Pinkie Pie went inside the house before she could witness the Sonic Rainboom. Thus, she never became a party pony and the Element of Laughter. And because of this, the party that inspired Cheese Sandwich was never thrown, and he became a simple traveler just trying to survive.

One day, Cheese takes a job at the Pie Family Rock Farm, and ends up working alongside the grumpy Pinkamena and her sisters. Soon, multiple issues come to the surface, including gossip in the neighboring town, thugs, an annoying stallion trying to court Pinkamena, and issues from Cheese's past.

Is there anything on the story you are particularly proud of? Well, I'm proud of having come up with a unique CheesePie story, seeing if it was possible for them to work without the party pony thing. It was also fun creating the town of Nickerlite and the multiple characters that reside there--some people have even adopted the town into their headcanon! And the Pies were such a joy to write, especially Igneous Rock, who I'll admit has become my favorite of the Pies.

Who do you feel this story is likely to appeal to? CheesePie shippers, fans of the Pie family, fans of Westerns, AU fans, fans of stories with a theme of family in it

Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? I only wrote this because it was a story I wanted to read. I finished it back in December, but boy was it a ride. Despite being a story about boring rock farmers, I put it my best effort to make it fun and succeeded.

Title: A Dangerous Sparkle
Author: David Silver (that's me!)
Genre: Crossover Adventure
Description: Twilight ends up in a D&D esq world of adventure known as Everglow. Lessons are learned, battles are waged, and maybe she can come back with a little something extra? Spike gets treated with respect, and Pinkie Pie is adorable, energetic, and even useful!
I'm pleased with the characterization of the show characters, the ongoing narrative with no plan at all, and the general flow of things despite being almost 150k words with still no clue what I'm doing.
Anyone who likes adventure! There are also bouts of romance and shipping, but it's clearly an adventure fic.
Um, nothing comes to mind...

Title: If Memory Serves
Author: Pascoite
Genre: Sad / Slice of Life
Description:
Odd how some things stick in one's memory—certain places, personalities, sounds, even smells. Touching on one of these elements can cause a lifetime of experiences to come flooding back.

And just as quickly, they're gone.
Realistic treatment of a tough situation that may people actually encounter.
Fans of sadfics or Rarity, readers who hate seeing emotionally manipulative takes on tragic situations.
Won a /fic/ write-off, featured on Equestria Daily and The Royal Guard, given a "highly recommended" by PresentPerfect and a very positive review by Chris.

Title: The End

Author: Shalrath

Genre: Science Fiction

Description:
Two idiot humans go to Equestria.

No, that's not quite right..

Two mutually exclusive humans arrive in Equestria a few minutes apart, coinciding with the banishment and return of Nightmare Moon, the disappearance of the sun, and a lonely millennium for an Alicorn princess.

Shortly thereafter, the Mane 6 each go on a little adventure with their new-found visitor, who helps them find and achieve that which they truly desire. Until it breaks them.

The sheer amount of world-building it has inspired me to do, along with the attention to technical details that would not go amiss within the pages of Niven or Banks. There's space ships, space bees, SPACE DRUGS, a jerkass Carl Sagan type protagonist, a subterranean cyberpunk incarnation of alt.sysadmin.recovery (aka the Operator's school for gifted programmers), sexually frustrated alien sand dragons, a clever approximate solution to the Travelling Mailmare Problem, Celestia pretending to be a motorcycle, carbon encapsulated metallic hydrogen rocket fuel, Fluttershy becoming a Big Damn Hero, and some deeply disturbing choices to be repeatedly made.

Fans of science fiction who enjoy dark humor, comedy, and weapons grade innuendo.

I am the slowest writer ever. However, I have not stopped thinking about this story in the time since I've started. I will keep working as I find the time to do so, otherwise this story will never leave me in peace. I hope you enjoy it.

Title: Fallen Angels [Mature]
Author: Flutterpony
Genre: Drama/Romance
Description:

Fluttershy's dubious history with sexual distraction and a penchant for the young leaves her feeling at risk and disconnected from the lifestyle she tries to keep and the ponies who supposedly know her. Will she endure emotional isolation, or will the kind pony's lonely desperation drive her to hell and back for a chance at finding happiness with somepony society says she must never pursue?

Join Fluttershy and her friends on a journey of social, psychological, and emotional exploration in a harrowing tale of self discovery and clandestine relationships. You may never feel the same way about illicit love.

Recently fully revised, and looks a lot better for it. The narrative is carefully and lovingly crafted. I'm pleased that, despite the controversial nature of the topics dealt with in the fic, many have admitted that they greatly appreciate the story for the emotional depth and thought provoking angle of the writing.

Anyone interested in sensitive and intelligent discourse on the topic of sexual attraction who can tolerate or appreciate the taboo of an unconventional sexual relationship. There are about 1000 words of explicit content (less than 1%), including an erotic scene, clearly labeled at the appropriate place in case readers wish to skip it--in case they might find themselves triggered or otherwise uncomfortable by that scene. Even without that scene, the story is written to appeal to readers willing to delve into an uncomfortable issue, pedophilia, from the point of view of a minor-attracted individual and her friends and love interest. While some may find the controversy itself appealing, the emotional depth of the characters--their joy and sorrow--is what I feel makes the story enjoyable and have spent countless hours to ensure.

I adhere to the typical paragraph style found in printed novels because I feel that's superior when reading lengthy narrative on any device, but especially on phones and tablets where added white space means constant scrolling. If you want to annoy me by saying it would look better with the added white space, then I can't stop you, but I won't be changing the format.

Comment posted by Lost_Marbles deleted Feb 25th, 2015

Title: Schrödinger's Pony

Author: DemonBrightSpirit

Genre: Random

Description:

I reckon Pinkie Pie has to be in that barrel. I saw her go in myself. But I just can't shake the feeling that if I go and open that lid, she won't be in there.

Well, I wrote it in under three hours. For me that's fast work. Hmm? What's that? Oh! You meant about the plot and the ponies. Well, it was just a fun little idea I had, and I like how it turned out. Using cartoon physics as an analogue for actual quantum physics seems to have worked out pretty well. I guess I'm proud of the fact that this story is applicable to the real world. Or, at least its particles.

Who doesn't love Pinkie Pie being random? But I suppose this time it's her history of being random that really drives Applejack bonkers. It's good for those who like to see Applejack as a main character not in a shipfic, too.

Pinkie Pie is in the barrel. Pinkie Pie is not in the barrel. Both of these statements are true.

Title: All The Bitter Remains

Author: Arcelia

Genre: Sad, Slice of Life

Description: Years have passed since the discontinuation of the apple farm that resided south-west of Ponyville, yet even after the long, slow decay of the once vibrant orchard; one pony still lingers in the wheat grass and reminiscences in the sunlight.

Is there anything on the story you are particularly proud of?:

I wrote most of it one sitting and it only took me two days to write. I think its an example of how much I've grown as a writer and how I can take complex, abstract ideas and make them central theme of a story while upholding a sense of continuity.

This would probably appeal to people with a sudden spur of nostalgia or someone who wants a short, little read that they might enjoy.

This may or may not have anything to do with I may have experienced in real life.

Title: Apples and Honesty

Author: ExOttoyuhr

Genre: Slice-of-life, maybe comedy, definitely horse-noise linguistics if we had a tag for that

Description: After Applejack bluffs spectacularly in a game of Dodge City Hold 'Em, Rarity makes a sour remark that escalates into a revelation for the thickly-accented farmpony.

Actually finishing something, for one thing -- I tend not to do that very successfully. Other than that, I really enjoyed how Rarijack interactions sort of write themselves; it's not as hard as I'd feared to get a handle on their personalities and just let them bounce off each other.

Fans of Rarity and Applejack, and fans of the jarring experience of thinking that all the dialogue in the show is a translation of horse noises.

[Deliberate blink][second-long whicker][tail swish][two stamps of the right hoof].

Title: My Little Pony: Days of Future Past

Author: Charles Xavier

Genre: Adventure/AU/Crossover/Dark

Description: In a desperate attempt to alter the course of history and save Equestria from extinction, the Alicorns send Twilight Sparkle far back in time to a magical world that once existed, where she, with the help of Megan Williams, must prevent the wake of an unstoppable enemy. G1/FiM crossover.

Nothing special really. I'm not one who loves to brag,

Fans of Generation 1, especially those who'd love to see Megan and Tirek again. FiM fans as well of course.

Read and enjoy. And if you could, please kindly rate and review! :twilightsmile:

Thornwing
Group Contributor

Congratulations on the win!

This is an amazing story and a perfect example of doing "dark" writing in a believable and character driven way. On the first read-through I noted some typos and missed words, but they didn't detract from the overall piece. I've been waiting over a month to post this response, and now I can without sporting any bias. (I also withheld any editing work seeing as it was a contest entry.)

For anyone interested in the darker side of pony fanfiction, I highly recommend this story. Also, Billymorph has a great HiE fic that is almost complete: The Humans in Equestria Club. I recommend you all read that one as well. It's a great example of how to approach the often scary genre of HiE fics and come out with a winner.

Title:The Main Attraction
Author: Dimentio
Genre: Comedy Crossover (more tags eventually)
Description: Dimentio returns to Equestria after a long banishment. Freed by a misguided performer, he must regain his power before attempting to reclaim his throne...even if it means being forced to hang around Trixie.
Is there anything on the story you are particularly proud of? Well the Trixie-Dimentio banter has been fun.
Who do you feel this story is likely to appeal to? I suppose fans of Super Paper Mario for the most part.
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? Not really.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 76