• Published 1st Apr 2013
  • 1,995 Views, 53 Comments

Being Chaos Malcontent - Digodragon



Have you ever wanted to be some pony else? When you're ruler of Equestria, sometimes you want to be some pony without responsibility.

  • ...
1
 53
 1,995

Epilogue – Guess She'll See Chaos Around

The night was calm and the clear sky above displayed a beautiful view full of stars and a half moon. Celestia sat alone in her throne room, although under a tarp-covered cage beside the tall throne was her sleeping pet phoenix. The ceiling chandelier only had two lit candles, leaving the room dimly lit. There was no eerie feeling to the large shadows that sat quietly in the corners of the grand hall.

In fact, the shadows appeared almost serene and happy.

Celestia sighed with fatigue as she sorted the large stack of paperwork that contained Equestria’s economic information. She couldn’t see the last few written lines of the final page, but before she brought up a magical light, a small Discord-shaped candle lip up beside her and illuminated the words clearly.

“Discord?” Celestia asked as she looked up. She saw the draconequus standing before her holding the candle. He seemed to be in a good mood, all things considering with what happened to him in the past two days, but there was an odd lingering scent of soap coming from his hands.

“Evening, Celestia,” Discord said. “My, my, aren’t we up late? Are you unable to sleep, or did Luna and Twilight finally overthrow your reign and start that democracy idea I gave them?”

Celestia cracked a little smile from her weary face. “No, I volunteered to raise the moon so that Luna could get a few extra hours of sleep after today’s adventure. I was just filing these papers for the archives.”

Discord looked at the writing on the pages. He noticed several pages had been stamped with a large, red ‘rejected’ sign. “I take it the griffons didn’t stay for tea after the incident in the basement?”

“No, and I don’t blame them,” Celestia remarked. “There were about forty-two errors in this report, most of them mine, and the trade agreements were poorly worded. To round out my day, Manny resigned from his position. He cited irreconciable differences with a draconequus insubordinate that lives here.” The princess put the report down and sighed heavily.

"You want I go rough up this insubordinate?" Discord asked as he made several boxing jabs in the air.

Celestia hummed out an incoherent answer. “Discord," she then asked, "Are you mad that I had lied to you?”

The draconequus sat down in the air, floating over the ground. He snapped his fingers and summoned two cups of tea to share with the princess as he pondered her question. After a few seconds, Discord shrugged.

“I suppose I am,” he finally said. “I’m sure I’ll think up of a brilliant plan to punish you later next week for all the pain you caused me. However…”

Celestia watched him intently, resigned to accept whatever fate he had planned for her. Discord took a sip of his tea before finishing his thought.

“However, I don’t know if I’ll feel like going through with it by then,” Discord concluded. “While you should have told me about that trap door when you first found it, I find it fascinating that you created a web of lies to protect me as well as how you skirted your royal duties for your own self-interest. That was a beautiful series of chaotic decisions that you did there. It was so out of character that I’m very proud of you.”

Celestia felt a little pink blush coming onto her cheeks. She sipped the tea, but then promptly spat out as the drink was actually a watered down chocolate malt. She put the cup down carefully.

“Thank you for your approval,” Celestia said politely. “Perhaps you are rubbing off on me.”

“As I always say,” Discord stated, “Chaos is a wonderful, wonderful thing.” He stood up on the ground and began to walk away, but stopped as another thought came to his mind.

“One last thing,” he said. “What happened when you last crawled into that trap door? I know you ended up in the lake out back, but you didn’t enter my head that time. Any idea why that is?”

Celestia stroked her chin with a hoof. “I must confess that I don’t know. Perhaps we’ll never even know where that doorway came from or what those shadows were.”

“Well no, now that you’re having that section of the basement sealed behind a big wall of sand, stone blocks and mortar,” Discord pointed out.

“It’s for the best that we seal it,” Celestia said thoughtfully, “But I have a little theory on what the darkness was down there."

Discord leaned against what looked like an invisible table. "Do tell."

"I think that the basement was dark for so long that it became lonely," Celestia explained. "It wanted desperately to see the sun again, but who is a better representation of the sun than I am? When I had hid down there yesterday for the first time, I might have awoken the shadows and it sense that I was lonely too. Perhaps it created that trap door as a gift to let me escape every now and then just so I would continue to return and bring the shadows company.”

Discord leaned his head to the right. “And…?”

“And well, that’s it,” Celestia replied. "The shadows attacked the griffons in order to lure me back down there."

“That’s it? That’s your theory?” Discord questioned. "Well, I see why you took up politics and not science."

“Hey now,” Celestia said defensively, “I didn’t say it was correct, or even a very good theory.”

“Oh, I'm sure it would be the bestselling thriller of the year if you wrote it,” Discord said sarcastically.

Celestia smirked. “Well, do you have a better theory?”

Discord stretched his back lazily. “Of course I do, chaos theory. There are a lot of strange spirits and relics forgotten throughout history. They still move about unseen from place to place. Sometimes they want to remind us that they still exist, and they do so in the strangest of ways.”

“You do that on a daily basis,” Celestia teased.

“That is because I’m a consummate professional,” Discord stated with a monocle that appeared in his hand from nothing.

Celestia yawned as she stood up. “Well, I think I shall retire now. Thank you for this little talk, Discord. I look forward to my punishment next week.” Celestia reached around her throne and pulled out a small wooden bucket.

“Oh, if you could do me two favors? If you see Luna before the morning, remind her I would like my purple socks back.” Celestia magically floated the wooden bucket to Discord’s hands.

“I suppose this is to protect my head from any Sofa attacks?” Discord asked. He plopped the bucket upside-down on his head like a helmet. A sudden slosh of sunflower shells rained down over his face.

Celestia held back a giggle. “No, that was Philomena’s trash bucket. I was going to ask you to empty it on the way out.”

Discord stood there with a deadpan expression of embarrassment.

“Dun dun dun!!” cooed Philomena from under her tarp.

Author's Note:

Never a dull day in Canterlot.

Comments ( 11 )

:moustache: I was expecting some sorta cerebral midf**k or something.
Nonetheless, fairly well written; held my attention to the end.

Clearly the shadows were Sombra. A lonely, form-less Sombra trapped in the basement of Canterlot Castle just wants to be loved and forgiven by the radiant Celestia ... d'aww :twilightsmile:

Great story

2433731

When I began writing the story I thought to work in a mind***k ending, but I couldn't do it justice. Maybe when my writing skills get better I can give a better attempt.

2437651
Well, regardless, that was a good story. Too bad the site no longer wants to send me e-mails reminding me that stories that I've favorited have new updates! I'm gonna have to check on that and see if somehow my settings changed to something vastly dumber or something. :derpyderp2:
Regardless, that was an excellent ending to an excellent story! This is why you have the best table-top role-plays, and why I constantly miss being in a game that you're running now. Eventually, though, I will move back up and we'll get to play on Saturdays once again! :yay:

2492676

Thanks! I do miss you from the group. I hope you'll come back to us soon and share more fun at the games. I'll try not to be totally evil next time. :twilightsheepish:

2495179
What? No, do try to remain evil. In the end, that's what makes your games the most fun. Imagine how bland it would have been if I decided to just be nice and make everything easy for you guys when I ran OPRI; you all would still be, at best, level 2? Of course, I would have likely ran out of steam well before I did when I did, because you would've cleared those four cases in a matter of weeks, and then we would've been playing Shadowrun way earlier than we actually did.

So, what I'm saying is, stay evil, my friend enemy. :ajsmug:

I reviewed your fic tonight you can find it here

This story is extremely underrated.

But I just want to know; what exactly happened with the ending?

“Evening, Celestia,” Discord said. “My, my, aren’t we up late? Are you unable to sleep, or did Luna and Twilight finally overthrow your reign and start that democracy idea I gave them?”

Heh. Discord would probably come up with democracy just to mess with Celestia. :rainbowlaugh:

An enjoyable story. I expected more antics of Celestia as Discord, but this still made for a good read in my opinion.:moustache:

Login or register to comment