• Published 8th Sep 2012
  • 3,744 Views, 70 Comments

Prince of Zebras - RandomBlank



With weight of millenia and nations upon your neck, can you still find love?

  • ...
23
 70
 3,744
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
Comments ( 33 )

Whoa, there is a copy of it! Word for word, the chapter I got to read matches!

I see what you did there. :pinkiecrazy:

1529541
Ask Red Eye prides itself in *never* getting out of character. So if the author's gonna pimp his story, gotta do that in character too.

Not to mention this was inspired by Fallout:Equestria, a story which I hate to love, which I tried to avert twice already (once with an unfinished story about Littlepip finding a Stable that was not fucked up, which fell flat on its face, and once with Ask Red Eye, a sympathy for the devil approach, which was fine for an original story but fell a bit short of its goal.) This one averts FoE thoroughly enough for my liking.

So this be the end, then?

Of course my playlist pulled this up when I got within sentences of the end. I'm keeping an eye on you for future stories.

You sif, are a proper writer.
I laughed, i cried. I loved it.
In a way it saddens me to see "Completed". A great thing is over...

Lol nadir is now a lich-king

1529595 I read the first chapter quite a few months ago (I think following a link to you on the PHCC), but didn't track it or realize that you would write anything beyond that—reading it as a one-shot is certainly possible. I pulled up the link again several weeks ago and kept it in my rather large list of tabs, and finally got around to reading it the day before yesterday, before finishing it just now. I had forgotten you had written it until chapter 7, when I finally looked at the header, and had forgotten how I got here until I read that comment, but I did definitely notice the Fo:E subversion around the coal/clean power discussion. I'd say this was successful. I still prefer Ask Red Eye (there were a few places where this seemed like it could possibly use a(nother) pass or two by a pre-reader), but I really like what you've done; the plot-to-clop ratio was really balanced nicely (as much as I say I read these things for the plot, there's two meanings to that), and the story itself was quite fun as well.

1587264
Well, thank you :)
*sigh* getting proofreaders is hard. The last chapters could definitely use some.
As for subversion, it reaches beyond that. Relationships with Zebras reaching way beyond friendly. Luna actively fighting Celestia's blunders concerning relationships with other races. Celestia and Luna fortifying their position of power against corrupt elites. Implied Celestia and Nadir's tour resolving long-overdue mystical problems (EoS!). Removing all incentives for war.
Well, Gryphons are still a problem and who knows what happens to Minotaurs, not to mention Thistle was only the first of quite a few, and who knows, if he was recovering sentience, what about others? - but the FoE as we know it was averted.

This is horribly under appreciated.
My hats off to you, sir.

Oh gosh. This is the best Celestia story I have ever read.

2476887

wait... "Upon the Stars" had some computer science. In "Prince..." it's almost all made up - spellductors, transmogrifiers? :) (oh, yes, the piece with Light discovering a hardware bug was quite technical but that's like one paragraph long!) Anyway, past 2nd chapter most of it is gone.

As for princesses overcoming the problems of daily lives - Just who are the princesses personally is not defined by canon, and I took a lot of artistic liberties here.

I choose to make them very much the same as mortals, except never aging. They do forget, they do make mistakes, they have their phobias and their dislikes. And despite gathering immense experience and enormous knowledge over their long lives, versatility, and learning how to deal with great most situations, they are not the best at everything: at any given point of time there will exist a pony who can best a princess in one single domain - and there will be at least one such pony for each domain there is. Maybe except raw magical power. Lifting the Sun requires lots of it.

Oh, and there is always something they don't know. World changes faster than any entity within it can observe. New books are written faster than fastest reader could read them. The princesses simply can't know everything. And they do have their own hang-ups. Luna is very introverted and quite socially awkward, and Celestia is deadly scared of failing. She goes to extra lengths to avoid risks, and will avoid acting unless trouble find her or her inaction would lead to even worse consequences - when she dares to act, she rocks, but she only rarely does - and if she makes a mistake, she's feeling obsessively guilty about it.

Now, seeing your preferences, you may not like my upcoming story, where Luna is acting almost like a spoiled filly, but if I ever get to finish the next one... Let's say this kind of relationship I explore there is not common on Fimfiction: Goddess Luna and her most faithful believer.

Also, thanks for the long comment. Did I say I love long comments? I love long comments!

Wow, that was a story. It did explain the human life with moon. This was a long long story. just the way I like it. are you going to rite more? Now that they will have new body's? It has been fun reading this hole story in one sitting. Thar is steal more that can be written on the story. there is family and friends and new dangers you can add to the mix. I hate to see the story end. (':raritydespair:');

Like Dragonfox, I had to read this in one sitting, more or less... I actually didn't go to sleep last night because of this story! First FIMFiction story to ever cause that! So I hope yer happy for yerself, cause I won't forgive you unless you write a sequel about Light and Nadir in their new bodies. :pinkiehappy:

2945113
Thanks for the kind words and yay for being addictive.

No, considering Prince of Zebras was a sequel to Upon the Stars (and as result fans of the 7k words story got 117k words extra) there is no way in hell I'm writing a direct sequel to this one. But there are others in the works that may see the daylight if I get through... objective difficulties.

2953176 Aww :pinkiesad2: Oh well, hope some of them happen in this same universe then, to find out what's happening with the couples! :pinkiehappy:

3197596
Most of it made up.
Although Half-NOT is a nerd humor of purest water.

And you liked it in the end, didn't you?

I find it sad that you did not write a sequel to this story. :twilightangry2: It wood have been a good story. :twilightsheepish:

Dragonfox


3888823
Thanks for the praise. I hope you don't mind me deleting the spoiler comment?

3947038
Some poisons are more devious than others. Plain stunning sedative is simple enough. Now, the Crown Venom...
Oh, Zephyr, jealousy is such an ugly thing.

SEQUEL NOWWWWWW!!!!!!
best story ive read plz sequel

This story has been quite a wonderful ride...I can hardly believe it started off with a single, short story of calculus, everyone's favorite Lunar Princess, and auroras...but simply...wow. Thank you for the dedication to your writing. :twilightsmile:

Comment posted by RandomBlank deleted Oct 16th, 2014

5146402
Do you mean real physics, or how the talismans work?

Essentially, they cover a certain area in a field, where time flows much faster or much slower. Pre-charged to last specific time (e,g, three months outside = 1000 years inside), they modify the time flow on quite fundamental levels. There's some fancy magic around the edges, e.g. so that if you exit the field and your heart is outside your legs won't rot off without blood circulation as it works 4000 times slower than normal - so, if you touch the field, it expands and encompasses you whole, and if you leave it, it lets go only when you're whole outside.

Conclusion after finishing it:
Best Celestia fic I've read. Period. Can't say best mlp fic ever, because I mostly read Celestia and/or Luna fics, don't really know a lot of the others. Deserves many more upvotes. Lots of laughs, lots of feels, enthralling storyline, world built with a lot of imagination, depth of the characters, and the clop was never out of place, purposeless, off-putting or disgusting. Really best so far. And I'm not sure anything would beat it soon.

5937302
Thanks :)
Hey, don't diss my other stories ;) C&L BSFF get a lot more love, cloppy or not!
(though I guess the sheer amount of worldbuilding would be hard to beat...)

5938062
I'll certainly not ignore them. You'll be responsible for a lot of sleep deprivation in the next week or so :)

6637169

I see someone's on a reading spree of my stories

Heh ;)
Well, I only got four instead of eight hours of sleep tonight, thanks to that darn prince.
Anyway, I'll be happy to give criticism, as long as you want any for three year old stories.

6637802
Certainly pointing out single mistakes won't do much good, but disadvantages, trends, notorious problems, bad habits - that's something I can work with. And I improve slowly, so I surely still have most bad traits from three years ago.

Heh ;)
Now I'm thoroughly confused as to where this story actually wanted to go, how it wanted to get there and also if it ever reached its goal.
And perfectly entertained and overtired.
And I'm not going to write anymore boring criticism, one has to be enough.
All in all: well done :trollestia:

6639529
Remember the scene with the great oak near Zecora's place?
That's pretty much what the story was about. In my headcanon alicorns need a periodic "maintenance", or their immortality will drive them crazy. And I just wanted to show one such maintenance period with all the trials and tribulations :) Despite the adventurey segments that was a "slice of life" story, not really going anywhere, just starting at one point and leaving us at another, changed.
Did I get it through? *shrug*.

6642574 Not sure if you 'got it through', but I wouldn't have noticed since it fits nicely with my own headcanon. It was really just the last chapter that threw me. The epilogue was fun.

Anyway.... highly entertaining and often comedy with meaning and character development. Haven't seen that well executed very often, but you got it down perfectly. Even some of the clop contained character development, and on top of that not one of the scenes contained anything cringeworthy. A rare gem.

I love slice of live and you delivered. If the characters, like yours, are deep enough I can read about them for a looong time before it gets boring. As I said, highly entertaining.
I'll pick up 'A White Mare' again now, left that a while ago for whatever reason. See how your writing has progressed ;)

Cheers, keep up the good work!

This was, bar none, the best Fim work I've discovered to date... Dare I say, masterpiece..? Please never stop writing! Your mastery of language, plot, character development, etc, are mind-boggling to me...

Login or register to comment