• Published 31st Aug 2015
  • 1,107 Views, 3 Comments

Tirek's Last Chance - DrewCarriker6231993



King Sombra has given Lord Tirek a chance to be good and made him Colonel. Will Tirek learn the meaning of friendship, family, and love?

  • ...
4
 3
 1,107

Chapter Four: Night at the Daycare

Chapter Four: Night at the Daycare
Lunar Eclipse Daycare

Scorpan was helping Eclipse hand out flyers for 'The Lunar Eclipse Daycare Sleepover!'. "This sleepover sounds fun!" Scorpan told his girlfriend.

"You bet it does!" Eclipse replied.

"Took us a while to get the daycare ready, but it was worth it. Not to mention this would bring smiles to the kids' faces." Scorpan told her, "Don't forget your sleeping bags!" Scorpan told some kids who trotted away after taking some flyers.

Twilight arrives and approaches Eclipse and Scorpan. "Princess Twilight?" Eclipse bowed.

"Please, just Twilight. How have you been?"

Eclipse got up, "I've been doing great! We're going to be having a sleepover here at the daycare. There's going to be stories, snacks, and all kinds of fun."

Twilight smiled, "Good for you, Eclipse. Do you need some help?"

"No thank you. Scorpan and I got this. By the way, have you seen Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, Rapper Mouth, Wild Forrest, and Polkey Dots?" as soon as she asked the question those six arrived.

"Did you call us?" Forrest asked.

Eclipse was surprised at first, then she said, "Yes, I was wondering if you six would like to come to the sleepover tomorrow night? It's for kids of all ages."

Wild Forrest took a flyer, "See you there!".

Rapper Mouth took a flyer, "This will be fun sleeping on a floor, stories, snacks, and so much more!".

Polkey Dots took a flyer, "Do we get to clown around?" he asked with a laugh, "That's a joke!" Eclipse chuckled.

Sweetie Belle took a flyer, "Count me in!"

Scootaloo took a flyer next, "Me too!"

Apple Bloom took a flyer last, "Me three!" then all three skipped away with the other three following them. Rapper Mouth did the moonwalk, Wild Forrest outran them, and Polkey Dots balanced on a ball and walked backwards to make the ball go forward and follow his friends. Silver Spoon, Diamond Tiara, and Guitar Emo watched the whole thing.

"That Alicorn kinda gives me the creeps." Emo told them.

"You and me both." Silver replied.

"She's very nice, got to give her that." Diamond told them. Eclipse spotted them, smiled, and waved at them. They waved back at her smiling shyly.

"Hi Silver, hi Diamond, hi Emo!" Umbra greeted them while walking with his father. Silver now had hearts in her eyes.

Umbra ran up to Eclipse and they hugged. "Hi Umbra! Hello Sombra! Have you heard about the sleepover too?"

Sombra nodded, "Yes, and I thought it would be a good idea for my son to spend some time with other kids and have fun."

Eclipse smiled, "Umbra is welcomed to join!" she said handing Sombra a flyer.

"Thank you, my dear. And where can I find Cheerilee? I would like to discuss something with her."

Eclipse put a hoof on her chin, "Welllll, last I saw those two lovebirds..... they were having lunch at the Hayburger, and will be taking a walk down at the park. That's all I know."

Sombra nodded, "Thank you. Umbra, it's time to go."

"Okay. See you tomorrow night!" Umbra said waving goodbye to the two Alicorns as he followed his father.
The Park

Windy was sitting on her knees in the grass watching everything around her; children playing; couples going out; clouds passing by and taking shape; birds flying, squirrels climbing tree, rabbits running; and the flowers were pretty. Windy sighed happily then she spotted Big Mac and Cheerilee taking a walk. The couple spotted her too and walked up to her. "Hello, I don't think we've met. My name is Cheerilee and this is my fiance, Big MacIntosh."

"Eeyup!"

Windy smiled, "Nice to meet you. My name is Wind-In-The-Mane, but you may call me Windy. I come from the Thunder Horse Tribe."

"The Thunder Horse Tribe?" Cheerilee asked.

"Yes. My tribe are distant neighbors of Appaloosa." Windy told the teacher while straightening her feather, "I like to travel. What do you do?"

"I'm a teacher." Cheerilee replied.

"And I'm a farmer." Big Mac added. Before they can continue their conversation, they spotted King Sombra and Prince Umbra coming towards them.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Was I interrupting anything?" Sombra asked.

Big Mac and Cheerilee bowed and stood back up as Sombra stood in front of them. "No, what can I do for you you're highness?" Cheerilee asked.

"You may call me Sombra. My son has been wanting to attend to your school, Cheerilee. How soon can I sign him up?"

Cheerilee, looking delighted said, "You can sign up today! Follow us."

Cheerilee and MacIntosh led the King and Prince to the schoolhouse. Windy, out of curiosity, followed them. Sombra told Umbra that he can play on the playground while Sombra signs Umbra up. Umbra sat on a swing and noticed Windy sitting on the other. "Who are you?" he asked.

The mare looked at him and smiled, "My name is Wind-In-The-Mane, but you may call me Windy. What's your name?"

"My name is Umbra. I'm the Prince in Seleneville."

"A prince?" Windy asked as she got off the swing and bowed.

"You don't have to do that, but thank you." Umbra told her.

Windy got up, "Everypony should bow to a prince; it shows respect, Umbra. Who is your father?"

"His name is Sombra."

"Sombra? King Sombra?" Windy asked in a bewildered tone of voice.

"Yes. Have you heard of him?"

"Why, yes. He is a legend where I come from." this colt doesn't seem to know about his father's past, but it's not my place to tell him. she thought as she notice Umbra looking puzzled. "Your father is pretty famous, young prince. Almost everypony knows him."

"Really?"

"Yes. He must be a good king."

"You bet he is! He gives to others, keeps us safe, loves us, and his magic is powerful. By the way, where did you come from?"

"I come from the Thunder Horse Tribe."

"Where is your tribe?"

"We live in the mountains close to Appaloosa; we're neighbors. And did you say Seleneville?"

"Yes, you've been there?"

"No, but it sounds like a pretty place."

"Yes, it is." Umbra took a map out from under his cape and unrolled it. He puts his right hoof on a picture of Ponyville, "We're right here...." then he puts his hoof on the picture of Seleneville, "And this is Seleneville right here. I have two maps, but you can have one." he hands her the map.

"Why thank you, young prince. This will help me a lot while traveling. Oh, I almost forgot! Who is your mother?"

"My mother is Luna. She was the Princess of the Night, but since she married dad she has been called Queen of the Night."

King Sombra walked out of the schoolhouse with MacIntosh and Cheerilee, "Thank you kindly for your time, ma'am." Sombra said to Cheerilee who smiled.

"You're welcome, and I look forward to having your son in my class."

Sombra nodded and went over to his son, who was still talking to Windy. As Windy got a better look at Sombra, she was breathless. "So handsome...." she whispered.

"Wind-In-The-Mane, I presume?" Sombra asked.

Windy bowed, "Yes, you're majesty. How did you know my name?"

"Thanks to my magic Crystal Ball I've learned the names of many ponies, where they came from, and where they are right now."

"You know everypony?" Windy asked while getting up.

Sombra chuckled, "Wouldn't that be something? No, I don't know everypony. And since I didn't check my Crystal Ball today, I had to ask for directions to where Cheerilee might be. But it was alright with me."

Back at the Daycare Eclipse was talking to Rainbow Dash. "So there's going to be a rainstorm tomorrow night?" Eclipse asked getting a little concerned.

"That's right. And the sky should be clear during the day." Rainbow replied.

"Thank you. I just hope the thunder doesn't scare the kids that much."

"Ah, if anypony can handle kids so well it's you! Besides, you sing for them when their upset or scared do you?"

"Yes, even when I'm foalsitting. I even sing them lullabies when I put them to bed. Why do you ask?"

"It's just I heard rumors that your singing voice puts children and adults to sleep."

Eclipse blushed and put a hoof to her chin, "Welllllll, coming to think of it I have noticed the last few times I foalsit that when I sing to them they start to get a little drowsy and before I finish the song they go to sleep."

"Awesome! Why don't you talk to Twilight about it? I bet she'll love to hear about it, knowing her." Rainbow suggested.
Friendship Rainbow Kingdom

Eclipse explained everything. "Interesting...." Twilight said. "This ability seems similar to Fluttershy's stare, only she can do it at will. And to Pinkie Pie's Pinkie Sense, but it comes and go. Do you use your magic while you are singing?"

"No, I don't think so."

"Has there been any complaints?"

"No. The kids' parents do tell me the next morning after foalsitting that their kid slept well and they felt very soothed. There is no side effects." Twilight wrote it all down as Eclipse spoke. "And I have noticed that when I sing to myself around adults or animals it has the same effect."

"This is so fascinating! Hey, Eclipse? Can you sing to me? I would like to experience this for myself." said Twilight.

Eclipse was a bit hesitant, "Are you sure? Because when I put others to sleep they might remain asleep for a few hours or maybe more."

They went to Twilight's bed. Twilight sat her alarm clock and a recorder on her night table, got into bed and pulled up the covers. "Let's hear it." she said.

Eclipse took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and sung: "How I love to sing after dark my friend Twilight, looking up at the stars as I lie in the grass like this every night, I listen to the sounds of the nocturnal creatures as I look at the light. The light given by the stars and the moon, it's such a beautiful sight...." Twilight yawned and motioned her to continue singing. Flash Sentry was walking through the hallway and he heard Eclipse sing: "Let the sounds of the night help you relax and sleep, or imagine sheep and count them as they leap, think anything positive as you drift into sleep, and you'll have many sweet dreams and your worries will seep...."

Twilight and Flash, who was watching, were getting very drowsy. "What's happening?" he yawned, "I'm getting sleepy...." he rubbed his eyes and continued watching Eclipse singing to his girlfriend:

"How I love to sing after dark my friend Twilight, looking up at the stars as I lie in the grass like this every night, I listen to the sounds of the nocturnal creatures as I look at the light. The light given by the stars and the moon, it's such a beautiful sight....
It's such a beautiful sight...." She opened her eyes and Twilight was sound asleep. Eclipse spoke through the recorder: "What you just heard was my lullaby. I have recently learned that I have an ability to put others to sleep with my singing voice. Twilight asked me to sing to her so she can experience this for herself, and she has fallen asleep so I'll leave her alone. This is Eclipse the Alicorn, thank you." with that she turned off the recorder. Eclipse pulled up the blanket up to Twilight's chin and left the room. Eclipse was surprised when she found Flash Sentry, who fell asleep still standing on his hooves, right next to Twilight's door. "Oh my...." She lifted the Pegasus up with her magic and sat him on a couch next to the fireplace that was out. She took the blanket that was on the couch and put it over the Royal Guard. She nodded and left the room.
An hour later....

Twilight's alarm clock went off. She slammed it with a hoof, got up and stretched. "Don't I feel good?"

At the same time Flash Sentry woke up and yawned, "That was a good nap...." he looked around and recognized the room he was in.

Twilight left her room and found Flash Sentry leaving the room he slept in. "Flash?"

"Twilight? You have a good nap?"

"Yeah, I think it was the best nap I've ever taken. What are you doing here?"

"I came to check on you and I heard Eclipse's song. I guess it must have put me to sleep." Flash replied with a chuckle. "And to think I haven't taken a nap for a long time...." he added. They walked to the throne room.

"Eclipse has this ability to put others to sleep with her singing so I asked her to try it on me, as an experiment." Twilight told her boyfriend.

"What do you make of it?" Flash asked.

"In theory, her ability seems to only occur whenever she sings by herself and maybe when she's singing with others her ability doesn't work. I've seen her sing with children, and they didn't show any signs of being sleepy. Strange, huh?" Twilight asked.

"Yeah, but in a good way." Flash replied.

Twilight gasped, "I have to write all this down!" with that she left the room.

Flash chuckled again, "Oh, Twilight...."
The next night....

After a long day of playing, and after a pillow fight, all the kids gathered around with their snacks and juice as Scorpan told them stories about a thousand years ago and what things were like in those days. "When my brother refused to give up his plans I warned Princess Celestia and Princess Luna and they locked him into Tartarus. I've been friends with them ever since."

"Wow!" a colt said.

"But how did you meet King Sombra and Miss Eclipse?" a filly asked.

"I was flying through a thunderstorm on my way to visit the Royal Sisters until I got struck by lightning." all the kids gasped.

"Did it hurt?" another colt asked.

"Oh yes. It hurt very much. It felt so bad that I lost consciousness and fell into the sea below me. I washed up on the island of King Sombra and his guards found me. They took care of me and I was grateful. So grateful that I swore loyalty to him. Do you all remember Starlight Glimmer and the trial?" Many of the kids said yes, yeah, or nodded. "It was before the trial started that I met Eclipse. Do you remember, my dear?"

Eclipse smiled and blushed. "Oh yes. I was love at first sight when I first met him. Since that day we started going out and we eventually became a couple."

"Love comes in all forms." Scorpan added putting an arm across Eclipse's shoulders and took a hoof in his other claw, "Since we're telling stories, why don't we tell them how much we love each other?" Scorpan suggested.

"Good idea." Eclipse said as they made kissy faces.

"Ew!"

"Yuck!"

"Mushy!" some of the kids said.

The couple laughed. "We're just kidding!" Scorpan assured them.

"Is your brother still in Tartarus?" a colt asked.

The couple let go and they sat back down. "Not that long ago, King Sombra decided that Tirek deserved a second chance; If King Sombra and Discord could change their ways after a thousand years, so can Tirek." Scorpan took out a picture of Tirek, Saphira, Midknight Ruby, Sir Stonehorn, and the General together from behind him and showed it to the kids. Some of the kids looked scared of Tirek in his armor. "Because of Tirek's skills, King Sombra made him his Colonel and was given responsibilities. And not to worry; King Sombra made sure Tirek won't do anything bad. Sadly, my brother has not forgiven me yet. But I'll never give up on him; eventually he will turn good."

"Who's the pretty lady?" another filly asked.

"Oh, her name is Saphira. King Sombra ordered her to help Tirek change his ways in any way she can." Scorpan replied.

"Do they love each other?" another colt asked.

Scorpan shook his head, "I truly do not know, but I've seen them spend a lot of time together the past several weeks so it's quite possible that the two might have feelings for each other."

"Have they kissed?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"No. I've never seen them kiss. Love and friendship is just what my brother needs, though."

"Love and friendship can change a creature with a black heart." Wild Forrest said.

Scorpan nodded, "You're quite right young colt. Without those two you'll be lost." he told the kids who all appeared moved.

"Say, can you tell us a scary story?" Polkey Dots asked.

All the other kids agreed and begged him to tell them. Scorpan scratched his chin and thought for a moment. Then he said, "Have any of you ever heard heard the legend of the Golden Hoof?" They all looked at each other and shook their heads or said no. "Well, it was a long time ago. Long before you kids were born. There lived a stallion with a wife who went by the name of Goldy because her coat and mane were gold colored. She was born with only one hoof so a solid gold hoof was made for her. She was so proud of her golden hoof that she never went anywhere without it and she never removed it even when she went to bed. She and her husband lived happily for many years until they reached a great age. Before Goldy died, she begged her husband to bury her with her golden hoof. He loved his wife so much and he wanted the golden hoof to remember her for the rest of his days so after she died he took the golden hoof and put it in a place in the house so nopony could find it. Not long after her funeral something very strange happened. This might be scary, but do you want me to go on?" the kids begged him too. "Okay, I'll go on. It was a few days after her funeral on a cold winter night. The wind was howling like somepony was groaning. The stallion was awakened by the sound and he heard: 'Where is my golden hoof?'. Just imagination, he thought, but he was scared. To make sure he went to his window and looked outside. It was so dark out, but he thought he saw a gold colored light and again he heard: 'Where is my golden hoof?'. He thought his mind was playing tricks on him so he closed the curtain. Again the voice said: 'Where is my golden hoof?'. Panic-stricken he rushed down stairs and went to the door. Before he could lock it the voice called out to him: 'Where is my golden hoof?'. He quickly locked the door and went back to his bed. His head barely touched the pillow when the voice called louder than before: 'WHERE IS MY GOLDEN HOOF!?'." Some of the kids huddled together and some hugged their pillows, stuffed animals, or blankets. "The stallion hid under his blanket. Then came the sound of the door slamming open and hoovesteps. He got out of bed and locked his bedroom door. He turned around and the voice said again: 'Where is my golden hoof?'. He ran to his bed and hid under the blanket again and shivered, 'It's a nightmare; I'll wake up soon....' he told himself, but it was all real. The hoofsteps got louder and closer until he heard someone or something trying to open the door! Then the door, the door he knew that he had locked good and tight, unlocked and opened by itself making a creaking sound." Scorpan moved his claw forward like he was pushing something and made the creaking sound as the kids shivered. "Then he saw it! The ghost of Goldy. She floated to her husband and groaned: 'Where is my golden hoof?!'." Then Scorpan jumped up and shouted, "YOU GOT IT!!!!" making the kids scream or hide under their blankets, pillows, or stuffed animals. Eclipse had a hoof on her chest and a surprised look on her face.

Eclipse recovered and comforted some of the kids who were so frightened they didn't want to come out of hiding. "It was just a story; it's not real." she assured them.

"I'm going to have nightmares for weeks!" one of the colts said as Eclipse hugged him with her arms and wings.

"That was a good story!" another colt said to Scorpan.

"There's a lesson to learn from that story." Wild Forrest said to his friends.

"What's that?" Polkey Dots asked.

"You should always respect others' wishes." Forrest said to them.

"Good point." Apple Bloom agreed.

"Alright, children! It's time for bed." Eclipse told them.

"But Miss Eclipse, we want to stay up longer." a filly replied.

"Yeah, maybe all night!" a colt yelled making the others cheer and play.

"Children! Settle down." Eclipse ordered then sighed, "Okay, maybe just a little while longer." suddenly there was the sound of thunder. Most of the kids got scared and hugged Eclipse and Scorpan shivering. Eclipse rubbed one of the kids backs, "It's okay, it's just thunder...." then came the sound of rain. "And a little bit of rain...." then the lights went out.

"Uh-oh!" Scorpan said before the kids started to scream.

Eclipse lit up her horn, looked around, and used her magic to get the lantern and turn it on. "I'm scared, Miss Eclipse!" a filly said.

Wild Forrest found Apple Bloom and said, "This kinda reminds me the time when I walked into a bear's cave during a storm. Wasn't he mad?!" he said laughing at the last part.

"Did he hurt you?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Nah, I picked up his scent and then he chased me through the Forrest until I fell into a pit. I was lucky my bear friend, Beary, was there to get me out. I truly don't know what I would have done If he have not been there. Then he invited me to stay in his cave until the storm ended." Wild Forrest told her.

"Wow!"

Then the thunder came again making Apple Bloom grab Wild Forrest, "There's nothing to be afraid of." he assured the filly.

The thunder started getting louder and all the kids gathered around Eclipse for protection. Wild Forrest was not afraid, but he and Apple Bloom joined them. "I'm afraid...." a filly said.

"It's alright. You're all safe here...." Eclipse assured the filly putting her hoof under the filly's chin.

"Can you sing to us?" a colt asked sweetly.

"Why, of course. If it'll make you feel better...." all the kids who were scared nodded. Eclipse thought for a moment, closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and sung in a sweet voice: "How I love to sing dear sweet children after the twilight, looking up at the stars as I lie in the grass every night, I listen to the sounds of the nocturnal creatures as I look at the light. The light given by the stars and the moon, it's such a beautiful sight...." Scorpan sat down and leaned against the wall while the children were starting to feel better and smile. "Let the sounds of the night help you relax and sleep, or imagine sheep and count them as they leap, think anything positive as you drift into sleep, and you'll have many sweet dreams and your worries will seep...." The children and Scorpan, who was fighting it, were all getting a little drowsy. "Don't let darkness, confuse or frighten you, look at it another way, without the beautiful night, there can be no beautiful day, trust me and I promise you will not go astray, yes my children that's what I say...." The children and Scorpan were drifting off to sleep as Eclipse finished her song: "How I love to sing dear sweet children after the twilight, looking up at the stars as I lie in the grass every night, I listen to the sounds of the nocturnal creatures as I look at the light. The light given by the stars and the moon, it's such a beautiful sight...." Eclipse opened her eyes and she saw that Scorpan and the children were fast asleep. She smiled and used her magic to pull the blankets over the children and Scorpan then she turned off the lamp. "Night night...." she said before laying down and falling asleep as well.

By morning the storm ended. It was about 9:00 in the morning when the parents and guardians came to pick up the children. All the kids have woken up and felt really good, even Scorpan. All the kids said goodbye to Eclipse one by one, or few by few.

"You're great Miss Eclipse!"

"I feel good Miss Eclipse!"

"I don't feel scared of thunder anymore, Miss Eclipse!"

Eclipse waved at the children, "Goodbye kids! I'm glad you had fun!" Scorpan put an arm across Eclipse's shoulders and waved as well.

When all the kids left Scorpan said, "You know, I haven't slept this good in a long time. I also enjoyed myself, did you?"

Eclipse smiled at her boyfriend, "You know it. We should do this every once in a while."

Scorpan smiled back at her, "That sounds like fun." he and Eclipse looked back in the Daycare.

"We have to clean up this mess before we do, though." Eclipse told him using her magic to hand him a broom.

Songs: Eclipse's lullaby part 1 and part 2