• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 5,371 Views, 78 Comments

The Grey In Between - EquinoxLiege



My weapon in my hand I will find out why she betrayed me. And give her what she is owed. Wow Lulu was right, one thousand years of banishment do make you dramatic!

  • ...
11
 78
 5,371

Cadence and Canterlot, or, Intermission

Cadence

Someponies swore by Celestia's sun that Princess Mi Amore Cadenza was the most graceful and kind of the royalty of Equestria. Her aunt, Princess Celestia, they said, was of course graceful and kind. And her aunt Princess Luna was not as kind, but she could easily be as graceful as her sister, if she wished. They did not even speak of her 'cousin' Prince Blueblood in the same sentence as the word kind. But something about the Princess of Love made ponies delighted to even hear her name. She was love, and love encompassed all.

Cadence was not feeling kind or graceful.

Cadence, internally, screamed. It was a very loud internal scream, one she want to be external. Sadly, Cadence was in a library, the Canterlot Royal Archives to be exact, and did not want twenty librarians whisper screaming at her.

She instead, let out a small and quite sigh. Cadence once again took in her surroundings.

She was in one of the older parts of the library, with hundreds of year old bookshelves that were only still in such good condition because of helpful spells. And those old bookshelves held even older books. Ones from before, and during, the fall of the night princess. And surrounded by these priceless books, with pillows and blankets all around her, Cadence was searching the books.

Cadence was searching these books for mentions of her father.

Cadence was not having very much luck. Oh, she was finding mentions of her father, but not the ones she wanted. She found stories of his heroics on the battlefield during The Great Griffon War, with his unbeatable 66th legion behind him. Most of them written by soldiers who watched he and his legion save theirs. She found many of those.

I had never seen the Grand General before this day. And I will never forget him after it.

My legion, the 8th, some of Celestia's finest, had been pinned down by griffon forces for days. We were unsure if we could fight them back. And retreat was out of the question, we would give no ground to the griffons. We heard rumors that our superiors had a plan, and that we would attack soon.

The griffons had heard of this too.

They had brought everything, and had managed to take us completely by surprise. Thousands of griffon's bombarded our main camp, I could see fire and smoke all around me. The griffons targeted our unicorn's first, we had no shields. They were slowly picking our pegasi out of the sky. And they dropped bombs on our artillery. And when all seemed lost,

They appeared.

An entire legion filled with black coated unicorns, pegasi, and earth ponies. And leading them, the Grand General. He was swathed in black robes, bronze and red armor. A black hood covered the majority of his face, and combined with his unnatural height, the unicorn general was an imposing figure.

The griffon's soon realized who had arrived, and turned all of their attention to the 66th legion. It did them no good. They fought like demons. And nothing could stop the Grand General's blades. After the battle I asked around, he calls them 'lightsabers'. A fitting name as they appear to be made of blue light.

With the help of the 66th legion, the battle was over. The griffons had fled and we had taken less casualties then originally thought, it was a victory. We cheered, and set out the help the wounded.

The Grand General helped most of all, I had heard rumors of his strange abilities, but this was beyond rumor. On that day I watched him stabilize the worst injured ponies with a wave of his hoof.

After things had clammed down, our superiors called an assembly. The Grand General would be addressing us.

As he approached us, he lowered his hood, his grey magic flicking it back.

He smiled, "Hello, my faithful soldiers, I have one thing to say to you. Be strong, our war is coming to an end. Of that I promise you, tomorrow I return to the capital, to plan the end. And some of you may ask, 'why would I announce that in a place where the enemy could hear?'." His glazed swept across all of us, "Because I do not fear them. I want them to know we are planning to end them. I do not fear them."

He flipped his hood back on and turn away from us, "Let them fear us."

Two weeks after this speech, he killed the griffon's god king. He became The God Slayer.

Equestria will always be safe with the Grand General by it's side.

She had found hundreds of those. But want she couldn't find was evidence of a fight or a falling out between her father and her aunt Celestia.

She knew that something had happened between the two. The love between them was twisted and threatening to break.

Cadence knew she could fix it, but only if she could find out why.

She sighed again, no luck.

A guard called out to her, Cadence closed her books, placed them neatly back in their place, and walked after the guard.

Cadence knew she could fix it, she had too.

Author's Note:

Aaaayyyyy, I got one out. As some of you know, my laptop committed suicide. So I haven't been able to write, but hopefully this intermission chapter can help even things out. For awhile.

Anyhow, for those wondering what happened after breakfast in Ponyville. Why haven't you read this yet?