• Published 28th Apr 2018
  • 5,839 Views, 135 Comments

And if I don't belong... - RejectOwl



Twilight feels defeated. Thanks to dreamwalking, Luna discovers the facade Twilight has built.

  • ...
23
 135
 5,839

Stability

"So, Twilight, how have you been doing lately?" Sparkling Apple asked gently.

"I'm... really good actually!" Twilight smiled happily.

"That is wonderful!" Sparkling Apple smiled. "Have you gotten into any new hobbies? I know last time we discussed you finding something to occupy your time."

"Oh yes! I've been doing crochet! I mean, I'm really bad right now, but I'm getting better!" Twilight answered with her ears perked up happily.

"That's good! My mother likes to crochet, I have so many scarves and socks. They're quite warm." Sparkling Apple said with a smile.

"Aren't they? I made myself a scarf after I gave one to my friend Rainbow. Oh yeah! I actually finally made up with my friend who ditched me!" Twilight said happily.

"Have you? You can never have too many friends, so that is wonderful news!"

"And my old friends from Ponyville, they all like my new friend Pearl Shine. She's a little, well, she has self-esteem issues, but my friends still really like her! I wish she didn't think so badly of herself though, she's so nice." Twilight frowned. "I...I actually made her feel really bad when we first met, she called me Twily, and I didn't even think and I just snapped."

"Why would that be?" Sparkling Apple questioned.

"It... it was what my brother used to call me." Twilight mumbled.

"Ah, I see why that would be triggering. How did you snap on her? What did she do after?"

"I screamed at her to never call me that and she felt so bad, she tried to leave. I decided I was going to take her to Golden Corral to make up for being such a bitch and we just really hit it off from there! I... still haven't told her why I snapped, just that it was family issues." Twilight looked down nervously.

"Do you think you have to tell Pearl Shine about what you've been through?" Sparkling Apple asked.

"Well, I mean if she's my friend, shouldn't I be honest with her?" Twilight asked.

"I'm a therapist, not an adviser unfortunately, you'll have to figure that one out on your own Twilight." Sparkling Apple smiled sadly.

"Oh. That stinks." Twilight sighed. "Do you... do you think I'll ever be totally okay again?"

"I think if you continue your therapy and medication, you will finally have stability Twilight."

"You can't give direct advice or answers, can you?" Twilight asked.

"I cannot." Sparkling Apple smiled.

"Damn." Twilight sighed.


"Hey mom." Twilight smiled as she trotted out of Sparkling Apple's room.

"How did it go today my daughter?" Luna asked giving Twilight a quick nuzzle.

"Good actually. At least, there were no tears or flashbacks!"

"Come on, I'll buy you some cookies for having a good session today." Luna said walking ahead of Twilight.


Twilight munched on her giant cookie, peanut butter cup with caramel drizzle, and gazed around at the bright noon day, ponies bustling along, unaware of any of Twilight's struggles, unaware of any of her progress. It seemed quite strange to her.

Twilight's entire world had changed in just a few short months, but the world went on just as it had before.

"Twilight, are you okay?" Luna questioned.

"Oh, yeah, I was just thinking... a few months ago I was incredibly depressed, tried to kill myself even, and now I'm doing so much better and in therapy and ... look at them Mom, they're just going on like everything is the same. My entire world changed, but the world itself just... didn't. It's kinda weird."

"Indeed." Luna smiled. "The world goes on, just as it always has, and presumably always will."

"Assuming a certain mare doesn't go crazy and try to cause eternal night again." Twilight grinned at her mother.

"Faust, you try to cause enteral night, and subsequently the end of the world, one time and your daughter will never let you live in down."

"Never." Twilight cackled. "Also, technically it was twice."

"You are lucky I love you Twilight." Luna smiled.

"It's nice to have something to you know, ground myself with. The moon and the sun will rise and fall, the seasons will change, the world goes on and on, ponies love and learn and fight and grow. It's always changing, but it's always staying the same." Twilight sighed as she stared at the ponies going about their busy days.

"I am glad you are recovering Twilight. It is good to see you happy."

"I think... everything's going to be just fine." Twilight smiled as she sat with her mother.

Comments ( 36 )

8907035
The song! Shoot, I should have made that clear. Never Too Late by Three Days Grace https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL2ZwXj1tXM if you don't already know it.

Comment posted by LeilaSkies017 deleted May 6th, 2018

8907092
I may or may not be actually working on it right now. :pinkiehappy:

Probably at least the fist chapter will actually be out next week. :D

Provided my apartment application isn't like approved in a day.

Comment posted by LeilaSkies017 deleted May 6th, 2018

Fading Echoes:
Thankyou. 😊

i demand to see shinings broken bloody corps strung up from a lamp post

Comment posted by RejectOwl deleted May 6th, 2018

nicely done, while I may not have experience with abuse, I know depression and what comes with it all to well, and I'm glad you wrote this to deal with those feelings. again, well done, it has even given me hope for myself

Yea, this was spot on. Not to the point of triggering, though that may be because of how long it's been for me, but I can definitely relate to Twilight here.

Solid story, if a bit rushed. The third person perspective made the story lacked the emotional connection it needed for it to be a GREAT story, but it's still remarkably solid. Good Job.

8908943
Hey, no problem! Apparently, I'm an educator now. I've written a bit of such characters myself, but I don't really have a background in anything official that makes me an authority on trauma, just some experience here and there with this and that. I can suggest some pony stories (via PM, I don't want to distract from the story so much here) that explore the concepts much more completely than what I've said. While I do hope you did find my comments helpful, don't treat them as a strict how-to on abuse. It's still a pretty complex subject that doesn't always have an easy answer.

Most importantly, nice Sombra avatar!

8908964
Dude, I've suffered both. Chill the fuck out.

8909177
Whoa there, I'm just talking about how you can improve your story.

I really loved this story. It reminds me of my life. As a person who suffers from major depression, I know the struggles placed in this story. I went through some of my own demons through my life and have tried to kill myself on multiple occasions. Double digits to be accurate and my latest one was 2 years ago.
Its a difficult thing to handle and worst without the right support. Therapy is not a cure but it is the first step in helping. Medication can do more harm than good but the truly best way to help out people with issues like that are friends or family but sometimes even that's a stepping stone too far.

I think I saw that this story had a sequel, or was someone elses writing the sequel? I'm not sure anymore.

i need some way of knowing when the sequel will be out.

any news on new chapter?

8918388
There are patterns for trauma that work and... don’t. It’s why stories of any medium can be criticized for how well they portray the subject. The liberties of the tag don’t really extend that far either.

a sequel needs to exist and I hope without timeskips.

I hated the first chapter, but kind of loved the rest. I think you maybe only need to rewrite the first one (luna moment) and then this is perfect too, or as far as it needs to be for me.

Like I said I hope you consider a sequel. I would like to see Twilight telling her new friend about it and stuff like that.

OH COME ON THE STORY SHOULD HAVE BEEN MUCH LONGER

8920344
please stop spamming the comments area just put all of your thought into 1 or 2 posts ... read the whole thing b4 commenting

8925139
Sorry no, I won't read everything in one go and I make the comments when I read the chapters. It would be even longer when I have to write

this is the comment to chapter 3

this is the comment to chapter 4

1. I don't want to grow tired of the story if I read to much at once.
2. that doesn't makes the biggest difference.

edit: that and your the first one that seems angry about it.

8925250
its just annoying thats all... that i see 1.5 pages of your comments ... one every couple of chapters is ok

8925749
Okay that could be but I think I'm doing nothing wrong with this.

8933057
okay i can understand that and I believe you.
If we just see it as a story right now, this could have been just something that I prefered over what happened, it sounds like you say both can happen but the kick in the ass was what you needed personally right?

I can accept that, I just personally prefer the other option I guess or the carefull approach. (if I know exactly which chapter this is about).
I think you can never know what exactly helps the person that is affected the best, there are probably just guidlines.

when will there be an update?

Okay so I read through this and I have reached a verdict:
It's Okay.

I mean I love the concept and what the author was trying to do, but the whole thing suffered on the storytelling side of things. It lacked substance and felt more like a rough draft.

That being said I'll upvote it for the effort and concept.

update please when ya get the chance

more please!!!!

9220161
There was actually a sequel to this, but I think the author took it down. I know there was once a sequel, because I remember reading it, but I don't remember the name.

9246844
dam was hoping i could more about twilights recovery mommy luna is a nice bonuse too, not many mommy luna fics out there that are finished

8909177
is there a chance for an new chapter ? ... i'm still holding interest in this story and i would like if ya keep up the great work as i enjoy reading it

8909177
awe :raritycry: no more chapters ... i thought this story would be way longer...

can you please make more chapters or a sequel? i really liked the story

Y'know, now that I read this story for the second time, I actually realize how short the story is, and how the ending was a little boring, it seems as if there could be a sequel to this but sadly the Arthur hasn't been online in nearly 6 years.


If anyone ever makes a sequel to this, please let me know, I would love to read it.

Login or register to comment