• Published 28th Apr 2018
  • 5,839 Views, 135 Comments

And if I don't belong... - RejectOwl



Twilight feels defeated. Thanks to dreamwalking, Luna discovers the facade Twilight has built.

  • ...
23
 135
 5,839

Twilight's Therapy Time - Counseling Begins

Twilight twisted and turned the small puzzle cube in her hooves, she found working with her hooves allowed the puzzle to actually be a bit of a challenge, rather than just magically put it all back to the right colors matching up.

Suddenly the puzzle was lifted away from her in a blue aura.

"Hey!" Twilight pouted at Luna.

"Twilight, the therapist has said your name three times now." Luna smiled.

"Oh jeez! I'm so sorry!" Twilight exclaimed and leapt from her seat.

"It's not a problem Twilight, come with me." The red mare laughed.


"Sooooooo.... therapy?" Twilight asked.

"Yes, this is for therapy. My name is Sparkling Apple." The mare informed her and opened a door.

"Apple... Are you related to the Apple's who own the farm in Ponyville?"

"I am. Do you enjoy their products?" Sparkling Apple asked.

"Oh, very much." Twilight nodded. "Applejack is one of my best friends."

"I see! Well, you needn't be concerned about any of this getting back to Applejack, I promise. Therapist/patient confidentiality and all that. My work ceases when I step out the door, should I ever see you at a family gathering, you understand, I will have to pretend I do not know you." Sparkling Apple assured her.

"Thank you." Twilight muttered with her head down, embarrassed at the thought of her secrets being spilled to Applejack. Applejack was a great friend, no doubt about it, but sometimes you just had to talk to a professional, Twilight reasoned.

"So, Twilight, do you want to explain why you're here?" Sparkling Apple asked.

"Uh... isn't it already on the papers?" Twilight asked.

"I'd prefer if you tell me. That way we can get it out and it will be easier for you to talk to me."

"Okay. Well....I was abused growing up. I was kinda the black sheep in my family. They always pushed me to do the best I could, but.... I think it was because they were all worried how a failure would look on them. Which lead me to be really really terrified of failure. I even... well once I even created a problem with friendship to send a letter to Princess Celestia and she had to come to Ponyville herself to sort it out and, god I felt so stupid, but all my friends reassured me then and...." Twilight suddenly felt sad when she thought of that, Rainbow Dash still wasn't speaking to her. "I actually lost a friend because of all this."

"Oh dear, that's never good. But you said you had other friends yes? How are they at helping you?" Sparkling Apple questioned.

"Oh great actually. Fluttershy, I'm sure you know Fluttershy, she's like the resident veterinarian in Ponyville."

Sparkling Apple nodded. "I've heard of her yes, never needed her assistance myself though, I lack any animals, allergies you know."

"Yes, well, I've actually been living with Fluttershy, until Luna gave me my room in the castle, but I think she wants me to still live with Fluttershy for now, so I can always have someone monitoring me to make sure I don't try to off myself again."

"Yes, the suicide attempt. Twilight, I want you to do something that is going to be painful. I want you to tell me exactly what you were feeling when you attempted that, exactly what drove you to it."

"I... I don't want to talk about it." Twilight muttered.

"I understand that Twilight, but sometimes we do need to talk about things we'd rather not, especially in therapy, if you do not face all that has caused you to make an attempt on your life, it will simply fester, no matter how good you think you are doing now, it will very likely come back later on down the road. So please, Twilight, tell me why you felt suicide was the only way out." Sparkling Apple said this all very gently and softly, but Twilight still felt like she was under attack.

"I...was sick of the nightmares, I just kept having them, they weren't usually anything concrete, just, you know, all encompassing nothingness, feelings of despair, and I was sick of lying to everypony about how much I loved my family, it's why I was so happy to be sent to Ponyville, no one knew my family there, I didn't have to talk about them. I could pretty well pretend they just didn't exist." Twilight took in a deep breath and continued. "It was easy to pretend the nightmares were just about bad stuff that happened back in Canterlot. You know, failing a test in front of everyone, falling off a cliff, that sort of thing. It was easy to lie. And then they started coming back more and more, and eventually it was every night, and I was just so so so tired of it, so I went into the Everfree Forest, found some ragwort, and I ate it at home, hoping to just die in my sleep and nopony would be any the wiser. No guilt for my friends, or the princesses or Spike." Twilight began to sob.

"Spike?"

"He's the baby dragon I hatched for my entry test to Celestia's School For Gifted Unicorns, she let me keep and care for him once he was a bit bigger, and he's kinda like my little brother slash son. I love him so much."

"Ah, you went to the gifted school! I take it you enjoy studying?"

"Yeah, it let me get away from my family for awhile, which was good."

"Not exactly what I meant, I mean do you enjoy reading and studying things?"

"Oh! Yeah I love to study and read complex things." Twilight nodded.

"Alright, I'm going to ask you to read something, if you do not have the money to buy it, I'm sure arrangements can be made, but it is called Healing from Hidden Abuse, by Shannon Stable. I think maybe doing something you love, that is also tied to therapy and healing, may be very beneficial to you."

"Okay!" Twilight lit up. She could read and help herself, it sounded too good to be true.

"I warn you, the book may be triggering, but without confrontation of your problems, you will not manage to heal."

"Are you sure?" Twilight asked.

"Positive. You need to get it out." Sparkling Apple said firmly. "And now, I'm sorry Twilight, but I must end our session, the hour is up and I have another patient to see."

"Thank you Sparkling Apple, thank you so much." Twilight said as she left. "Goodbye, I'll see you next week?"

"Yes, talk to the receptionist and they'll get your next appointment set up. I hope you have a wonderful rest of the day Twilight."

"You too Miss Apple. Thank you again."

Author's Note:

Yay! Official therapy! Poor Twilight.

The book actually exists, same name only the author is Shannon Thomas.