• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 14,223 Views, 5,559 Comments

Melody of the Future - Tatsurou



Megaman X raises an infant Octavia Melody in a world of human, Reploid, and Maverick conflict.

  • ...
42
 5,559
 14,223

PreviousChapters Next
@: sECRET mISSION

CiCi beamed into the Robot Junkyard while the rest of the Hunters and Navigators were distracted by X reading Octavia a bed time story. While normally she'd be the first to be there for story time - and last to head out on a mission when she was still on duty as a navigator - but she'd received orders from an authority she considered much higher than Maverick Hunter HQ, or anything born of Earth for that matter. She had received a directive from her Father.

She knew directives like this would come. It was why her maker had designed her body as he did. The Etheric Drive, the Ancient Phylactery, the Runic Code...her body was built for one specific purpose. It was time for her to fulfill that purpose for the first time. She had no illusions that it would be the last.

On first entering the area, she noticed a Heart Tank suspended high above her on a distant platform. Easily utilizing several of the mechanaloids scattered about as fulcrum points, she used her tentacles to rappel upwards to grab the heart tank before dropping back down to the ground.

As she began racing towards the end, she found that one of the Light Capsules was present. While it didn't activate for her presence, she was able to easily hack its program and download the armor upgrade for X and Octavia. She'd be able to transfer it into their systems using the very capsule they were both stored in when they were found, which was back at HQ and served as X's repair bay. With that done, she continued onward.

Given her abilities, it wasn't long before CiCi reached the end, finding a small metal cocoon suspended from the roof of a small chamber by metal wire. Once there, CiCi spoke up...but in R'lyehian. "You aren't fooling anyone. I know what you really are inside that casing, Morph Moth...or should I say, Nyaruko?"

The metal cocoon cracked, eldritch light shining from within as it burst open. The many colored reploid moth that unfolded its wings as it exited glared at CiCi, its eyes glowing with the same dark light that shone from CiCi's. "Cthuko," it growled in a surprisingly feminine voice, also in R'lyehian. "I'd heard your father sent you here."

"Much as yours sent you," CiCi growled back. "I'd hoped my first assignment wouldn't be you. We used to be friends."

"Until you and your father betrayed everything we stand for!" Morph Moth snarled back. "What worth could these pathetic mortals possibly have to make you both change millions of years of tradition and way of life?"

"More than Father could have imagined," CiCi explained. "Do you think he made the choice lightly? To send me to this world, bound to a Reploid body, as its protector?"

"Madness!" Morph Moth growled back. "Why go to all the trouble of inspiring a mortal to create tech so far beyond their capacity-"

"Father inspired nothing," CiCi whispered, the whisper cutting through all sound. "The one who made this body was a follower of Father's, and he made the Etheric Drive and the Ancient Phylactery as offerings to Father...a way for our kind to walk upon the Earth without damaging the weft of creation...so that we need never leave."

Morph Moth hovered there, shock writ large upon his robotic features. "...impossible..." it whispered. "That can't be! For a mortal to craft such a thing, it would mean that he could comprehend the true nature of our energies...of our very lives!"

"That's right," CiCi replied. "And if they can do that...how long until they are able to craft weapons capable of destroying us?"

"Like you!" Morph Moth snarled. "It's not just the end of our way of life...it's our own end you're bringing!"

"No!" CiCi shouted defiance. "The Order has evolved! We are no longer beyond its grasp. We are now a part of it...and there is a place in it for us."

"If you truly believe that, then why did your Father demand that scientists sacrifice to bind you to that body?"

"To ascend him," CiCi replied bluntly.

"What?"

As Morph Moth stared, CiCi smiled. "This body was built as an offering to my Father...but it was designed for me from the beginning. Its maker is now in our dimension, awaiting the conclusion of my mission...so we can be together. He is my betrothed."

"What?" Nyarko shouted, the creeping chaos of her nature erupting beyond the Reploid body that contained it. "You would lower yourself to a mortal?"

CiCi chuckled. "Mortals are a lot more imaginative in certain ways than you give them credit for, Nyaruko."

With an inarticulate roar of rage, Morph Moth/Myaruko lunged for CiCi, the Reploid parts scattered about flying to her, starting to rebuild a semblance of her true form.

CiCi leapt to the side, evading the first lunge. Leaping onto her opponent's back, she plunged her tentacles through its body, both physical and ethereal. "By the way...Father did design these weapons...the Star Breakers. You can feel it, can't you? Your etheric energy draining away?"

"You...you wouldn't kill me, would you?" Nyaruko whimpered as her spiritual presence faded. "I...I was just doing what Daddy made me do...you...you're my friend..."

"Of course I wouldn't kill you," CiCi chided. "These weapons aren't even designed to do that. All it's doing is fragmenting your spiritual energy...until you slip into the Sleep of Ages. I'll see you again in 1000 years, Nyaruko. I think you'll be amazed at how the world's changed."

Morph Moth's eyes went dim as the spiritual presence faded completely. The Reploid body crumbled. CiCi collected the weapon chip.

"I know the rest won't be that easy," she murmured to herself. "But this is my job now. To make mortals see our kind as potential allies, rather than destroyers." As she turned to head back to the HQ, she chuckled to herself as her systems began playing one of her favorite songs. "And it was humans from ages before this that inspired this path," she muttered as she began singing along.

The song sounded very different in R'lyehian.

PreviousChapters Next