• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 14,198 Views, 5,559 Comments

Melody of the Future - Tatsurou



Megaman X raises an infant Octavia Melody in a world of human, Reploid, and Maverick conflict.

  • ...
42
 5,559
 14,198

PreviousChapters Next
It's Apparent...

X smiled softly as he glanced around the main hub of Maverick Hunter HQ. It was a quiet day today, with no emergency calls coming in. Even so, a good portion of the Navigator staff was on call, just in case emergency deployment was necessary. At least, that was the official explanation most of them gave for coming in when they didn't need to. X privately suspected most of them had come in to watch Octavia entertain herself.

As he thought of her, his equine daughter came racing into the hub, a training laser pistol clutched in her forehooves as target spheres flew around the hub. Octavia leapt from chair to desk to lap, finding any vantage point by which she could zap the target spheres without getting tagged herself, as she was wearing a vest that would register tags as points against her score. Many of the navigators on staff squealed happily at the sight, those whose laps she landed in reaching out to pet her as she moved.

X rolled his eyes at Octavia's idea of 'variable terrain combat training'. He'd told her that the training sims could be used for that, but she'd replied that the holographic terrain had a different feel to her than real terrain, and it threw her off. Since it was entirely possible her senses weren't entirely physical given her magical energy, he'd let it slide. As he glanced around at everyone enjoying Octavia's 'show', his eyes caught Alia's as she looked up from her console. He smiled at her, and she smiled back, brushing her hair away from her face.

Pushing off from the wall, X left Octavia to her own devices for a time as he headed for his room. Not long after, Alia decided to go on break, pointedly heading in a different direction from X.

CiCi chuckled. Aww...isn't that cute? she thought silently as she arranged the tentacles she wasn't currently using to man her console to give Octavia more varied terrain to dodge around. They think they're being subtle...


A couple hours later, X and Alia lay back on X's bed, cuddled up to each other, both feeling very relaxed and content. After a time, Alia looked up into his eyes. "So," she murmured, "when do you think Octavia will be ready to know about us?"

X sighed sadly. "You've seen how she's been since Zero and Iris started dating," he whispered back. "I think she might be just a bit jealous that Zero's attention isn't exclusively hers anymore. I know she's passed her majority in terms of years...but in a lot of ways, she's still a kid. I...don't want her thinking that she's being sidelined on my part, too." He leaned in close. "I'm sorry."

"It's alright," Alia replied warmly. "When you're a parent, the child always comes first. That's only right." She snuggled in close. "You wouldn't be you if she didn't."

"I still wish I could make it up to you, somehow," X whispered as he pulled her close.

"Well...there's something you might be able to do for me..." she mumbled thoughtfully.

"Name it," X replied eagerly.

"Well...there's this friend of mine from my off duty hours," she began. "I've been...helping him on a few of his projects-" She paused as X chuckled. "What?"

X smirked at her. "Well...with how we're both apparently such workaholics, I'm amazed we managed to get past coffee in the office."

Alia rolled her eyes, a bit amused herself. "Anyway, he's been developing new Reploid science, and...it's totally amazing!" Her eyes lit up, the excitement from those projects remembered fondly. "Like you and Zero, not everything about his creations can be fully analyzed as data!"

"That's amazing," X murmured softly. Though also concerning, he added silently in his own mind. While he welcomed the idea of someone with the same skills as Dr. Light and whoever built Zero, he knew from the 'Red Maverick' scenario just how dangerous such a Reploid could be if it weren't on the Hunter's side. After all, no one actually took Zero down in that fight.

"I know what you're thinking," Alia chided. "And I have the same concerns. But...he only wants to build towards a brighter future. And some of his planned future projects..." She turned her eyes towards the sky. "It's...mind boggling even to consider them. Especially with his eventual goal..."

"What goal is that?" X whispered.

"He...he wants to find a way to...erase the line that divides humans and Reploids," she whispered, almost afraid to speak it for fear it would dispel the magic of it possibly coming true.

"...is that even possible?"

"If anyone can pull it off, it's him," Alia murmured. Then her expression turned sour. "If the committee overseeing his work weren't such backwards idiots terrified of anything else like you or Zero being built. He's getting stonewalled when he tries to get new funding, despite everything he's built achieving above and beyond what it was supposed to in budget. He's...getting frustrated, and finding other ways to continue his research...and the committee is looking for any way at all to discredit him."

X frowned. People much like that didn't even like the existence of himself and Zero. It was only popular opinion on their side and their near flawless record as Hunters that pulled such individuals teeth against them. "So, what do you want me to do about it?" he asked.

"Well..." Alia began sweetly. "I was thinking...if you and Zero and Octavia stopped by his lab, looked over his work, maybe penned an official endorsement or two..."

X groaned softly. "And if we support his research, he'll have an easier time getting funding?" X asked. Alia nodded in response. He sighed softly. "Tell you what. I'll talk Zero and Octavia into going and checking out his research. After reviewing his work, we'll give our honest opinions of it in an official statement, good or bad. Is that alright?"

Alia smiled up at him. "I knew I could count on you, X," she whispered, taking the time to show just how grateful she was.


X sat back in the front passenger seat of the car Zero had decided the three of them would use as they went out to check out this 'genius scientist's work. "So who's this scientist we're checking out, anyway?" Zero asked.

"His name's Gate," X replied easily. "There's been a bit of controversy over his research and results, so we're giving his work an official Maverick Hunter review. Thus, the armor."

"Hope we won't need to tear the place apart," Zero admitted. "If it takes too long, I'm going to be late to the opera."

"You're going to the opera?" Octavia gasped out, her tone torn between shocked and eager.

"Iris thinks I'll like it," Zero admitted, shrugging her shoulders.

Noticing Octavia's frown, X decided to change the subject. "So, Octavia, any questions before we get there?" he asked, taking a sip of a soda.

"When are you and Alia going to start dating?" Octavia asked bluntly.

X proceeded to expectorate over an entire park they were in the midst of driving by. "What?"

"Well, it's obvious to everyone in HQ that she likes you," Octavia replied reasonably. "And I've noticed the way you look at her, too. Just because you can conceivably live forever doesn't make it any less rude to make her or me wait that long."

"Or you?" X asked, confused.

"Well, don't you think it's about time I had a mother?" she asked, her tone even more sweetly reasonable than before.

X stared at his equine daughter for a time, and then groaned, burying his face in his hands.

Zero didn't bother to conceal his laughter. "How long have you been dating in secret for fear of her getting jealous?" he asked jokingly.

"...since you were put back together," X grumbled.

"That long?" Octavia gasped, shocked. "Then forget dating, put a ring on that already!"

Zero quickly locked the car doors as X vainly attempted to open them up so he could jump out over the Hudson.

PreviousChapters Next