• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 14,202 Views, 5,559 Comments

Melody of the Future - Tatsurou



Megaman X raises an infant Octavia Melody in a world of human, Reploid, and Maverick conflict.

  • ...
42
 5,559
 14,202

PreviousChapters Next
CM: Downtime 2

When the group returned to Resistance HQ, it was to find Nana absent from her post. "Where's Nana?" Massimo asked curiously.

Chief R looked wan. "She's...with Aile," he explained simply. He glanced meaningfully towards Spider.

Spider, for his part, swore sulfurously under his breath. "I told that idiot he was pushing himself too hard..." he growled, pulling his hat down over his eyes.

"I don't understand," X demanded. "What's wrong with Aile?"

"He's been living on borrowed time ever since he wound up in that chair," Spider stated bluntly, refusing to meet anyone's eyes. "The only thing that's really kept him going, kept him fighting, has been finding causes to believe in and to put his skills to use for...and a girl he knew only through Net Dives."

"Nana?" Octavia gasped in surprise.

Spider nodded. "When we brought her back here was the first time they met face to face, but the bond's real." He chuckled darkly. "That's one of the good things about being Terran, I guess. Being able to physically dive into the Net means it's far easier to get to know people for their real selves, meaning there's a lot less judgement regarding specs. Probably the large variety plays a part there, too..."

"And if she's with him, his time has run out," Marino concluded. "Damn...that's rough."

"He's still holding on," Chief R explained, "spending his last few minutes with her, in The Sky Room-"

Axl suddenly spun to the teleporter, using it to take him to The Sky Room in question.

"Axl, wait!" X called out as he and Cinnamon rushed after him.


The Sky Room was a large, open, circular chamber with a few computer consoles scattered around. At one corner, a large screen displayed a backdrop of Nana. Next to it, a console played soft, relaxing music. In another corner was a database of various details and information that weren't all that important. A case of videos sat at the opposite end. In the middle of the room, Aile hovered in his chair, one hand clasping Nana's as Gaudile examined him from the other side.

Axl strode purposely up to the group. "Aile...I think I have an idea to help you," he spoke quickly.

Aile turned to glance at Axl. "...I think I might be beyond that," Aile pointed out dryly.

"Can you try?" Nana pleaded hopefully. "Just...one last time?"

"All I need is a sample of your RDNA," Axl told Aile. "That'll tell me if this will work or not."

"I can give you that," Gaudile spoke up, providing the disc. "I was hoping I could use it to accelerate a repair program-"

"Already been done to the best tech can..." Aile spoke up softly.

"Maybe this era's tech," Axl mumbled as he uploaded the disc, scanning through the information as it took shape in his A-Trans circuits. "...yes, I this will work. Cinnamon!"

"Yes, Axl?" Cinnamon gasped out, surprised that he knew she was there.

"Do you have a Hyper Mode that maximizes your FMG's Repair Functions?" he asked hopefully.

"Y-yes," Cinnamon confirmed. "Iron Maiden."

"Wait, what?" Gaudile asked in surprise.

"Assume it," Axl instructed. "Tango, Merge!"

Tango immediately warped in, fusing with Axl to create Schrodinger. At the same time, Cinnamon's body blazed with light. When the light faded, her usual nurse outfit had been replaced with a black maid outfit. Axl blinked in surprise as he saw it. "...meow..." he murmured under his breath before shaking his head. "No time for distractions..." He reached out and took her hand.

Cinnamon blushed rosily, both at being classified 'a distraction' and from him taking her hand. Her eyes then widened as data streamed through the grip. "Oh...I see...yes! Yes we can!"

Axl pulled out his Ancient Arm. "Get ready..." he said softly as the weapon burst open, energy gathering.

Gaudile backed away slowly. "W...what are you doing?"

"Nana, get back!" Cinnamon ordered firmly, startling the Navigator into jumping back.

"37%," the weapon proclaimed.

Axl leveled the weapon at Aile. "Restruct!" he cried out together with Cinnamon.

Energy flowed from the pair into the weapon as it discharged its round. When the blast hit Aile, he became surrounded by the light of A-Trans. When it faded, pieces of the hover chair fell to the floor...and Aile fell back onto his rump, arms and legs flailing. "Ow..." His eyes then widened as he realized his voice came from his mouth, and not from the chair. "I..."

The sound of a cane falling to the ground alerted everyone to Spider's presence. "Aile...you're..." He staggered forward in disbelief.

Aile slowly pushed himself to his feet, his legs flailing a bit as he hadn't had legs to use for a long time. "How...?"

"Your RDNA sample was enough to create a fully functional copy of you," Axl explained as Tango defused and Cinnamon reverted back to normal. "While that would let me turn into you, you don't have a Change Circuit. However, by supercharging my A-Trans ability and channeling it through Cinnamon's FMG Repair programs, I was able to create a Change Field that allowed your body to be completely restructured from the ground up without damaging your psyche."

"But that's against every known law of physics!" Gaudile gasped out in confusion. "There's no way that could have worked!"

Axl handed over the Supra-Force Metal fragment they'd gotten from Botos. "Except that Force Metal's true nature is Ether...an energy source connected to magic, a power that is more defined by will than the laws of reality. It worked...because we wanted it to work, and we didn't listen to anyone saying it was impossible."

Gaudile groaned as he put his head between his hands. "I'm a scientist...how an I supposed to deal with this?"

No one was really listening. Everyone was too busy watching the emotional embrace as Nana and Spider held Aile close, helping him from both sides to stand for the first time in a long, long time.

PreviousChapters Next