• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 14,198 Views, 5,559 Comments

Melody of the Future - Tatsurou



Megaman X raises an infant Octavia Melody in a world of human, Reploid, and Maverick conflict.

  • ...
42
 5,559
 14,198

PreviousChapters Next
7: Aftermath

Axl sighed to himself as he leaned back behind his desk - his desk - in Maverick Hunter HQ. Less than a week ago, this would have been the sort of thing that had him jumping for joy, as he'd finally achieved his dream. Not only was he now a full fledged Maverick Hunter, but the head of an entire division! He supposed that it was true what they said...be careful what you wish for.

He was a Maverick Hunter, everything he'd dreamed of when he was under Red's tutelage...but Red had died to make it possible. The scythe hung on the wall behind his chair, a reminder of everything that had happened. He was head of a division, but that division was the rescued members of Red Alert who were now being integrated into the Hunters under his command, since they still saw him as the leader of Red Alert...a position he'd never wanted, but stepped up to for the sake of the leader he'd had to kill to become the leader. And any frictions or problems with integrating former Mavericks into the discipline of the Maverick Hunters were now on his head.

He also had a family now. It was still odd to think of such a tiny pony as his Mom, but it meant X was his grandpa and Zero was his uncle. Those two had always been his heroes and idols, and there was no way he'd turn down anything that meant they treated him as family, especially with the respect he'd unwittingly earned from them with his performance in the most recent crisis. He'd even received a commendation from Signas, as well as confirmation as the fourth S Rank Hunter in the entire history of the Maverick Hunters, and was serving along the other three...who just happened to be his new family.

But all this good came with its own questions, doubts, and mysteries. He still had no idea about his true origins. What little the Light Hologram said also implied that finding the answers would be incredibly difficult. For all he knew, his origins might be as antiquated as X and Zero's. But unlike them, the Light Hologram refused to speak of him, leaving him with only questions.

And then there was Sigma and Vile. Driving Sigma out of the Crimson Palace and saving his men - most of them, anyway - had been fine in the moment, but he still remained at large...and was still ultimately responsible for the deaths of Red and Wind Crowrang. In Axl's eyes, that meant he couldn't truly rest so long as Sigma was alive and at large. But Vile was on Sigma's side, and would definitely prove problematic. He may have been nearly a century outdated as far as when he was built, but there was no doubt he'd been upgraded immensely. The war had begun right where it had left off, and it was all Axl's fault. Sigma would have never caused so much damage or gotten so powerful if not for his DNA copy ability.

As he leaned back lost in his thoughts, he felt a soft pat on his head. "Hey Mom," he muttered without looking up.

"You shouldn't be thinking so hard," Octavia chided gently. "It's not good for you."

Axl rolled his eyes. "I'm not about to burn out my CPU or anything like that..."

"I meant emotionally," Octavia corrected. "If you stew too long in your own thoughts, you'll take on more responsibility than you should, blame yourself for things you couldn't have prevented or in truth had nothing to do with, and become convinced you have to fix everything with your own hands, probably leading to some sort of reckless suicide charge with your men at your back trying to take down Sigma and Vile single handedly."

Axl blinked, stunned anew at how well Octavia could read him, as though she knew his thoughts. "Would that be so bad?" Axl asked wistfully.

"You mean other than the fact you have no idea where Sigma or Vile are or what capabilities they've added since our last encounter, meaning you'd be wandering around at random while they could pick off your men one by one until they've destroyed you all since Sigma does know all the capabilities of you and your men now?" Octavia opined dramatically. "No, I don't see what's so bad other than that."

Axl chuckled softly. "You've done that before, haven't you?" he asked carefully. "Pointed out when people are being idiots and keeping them from making stupid mistakes?"

"I'm surprisingly good at it," Octavia confirmed. "Normally, I'm a bit more dramatic about it, but you're my little pony. I don't have to be dramatic with you, just firm."

"Why do you do that, anyway?" Axl demanded, feeling a little perturbed.

"Keep people from acting like idiots?" Octavia asked curiously. "Well, someone has to."

"No, I mean...call me your little pony and tell me to giddy-up or mush?" Axl clarified. "And treating me like that?"

"Because I'm a pony," Octavia explained simply.

"Eh?"

"I'm a pony, you're humanoid," Octavia continued. "We couldn't be more different, and the only familial bond we have is the one we've chosen. So when I took you under my metaphorical wing - and eventually adopted you - I pretended like you were a little lost colt I was helping, and treated you thusly. Then it just became something I did because you were my colt." She gently patted his forehead crystal. "It's not a problem...is it?"

Axl shrugged. "Not a problem, really...just confusing at first. But then again...I've never experienced parental affection. Just because it wasn't what I expected doesn't mean it's unpleasant...or unwelcome."

"So it's alright?" Octavia clarified.

"Yes Mom," Axl responded warmly.

"Good, because I'm over a century old so it's about time I had some grandkids-"

"Mom!" Axl yelled out, blushing. "I don't even have a girlfriend yet!"

"I'm sure I can find you a nice girl somewhere, or commission a custom one for you from Gate. I'm sure he'd love to build you the perfect girlfriend-"

"I'm not listening! La la la la la~!"

Octavia clicked her tongue in disappointment. "Then again, maybe you're still a bit too immature for romance..."

PreviousChapters Next