• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 14,198 Views, 5,559 Comments

Melody of the Future - Tatsurou



Megaman X raises an infant Octavia Melody in a world of human, Reploid, and Maverick conflict.

  • ...
42
 5,559
 14,198

PreviousChapters Next
5: A New Boss, An Old Threat

It had been rather uneventful at Maverick Hunter HQ since X and Alia made their relationship official. Maverick activity was at an all time low, there had been no sign of Sigma for several years, and the Hunters had put most of their activity towards assisting with various other matters, such as law enforcement and emergency services. X and Octavia's plan regarding the more erratic of Gate's creations was proving effective as well, as they had begun to see the value in others, if only for entertainment in some cases. As a result, the committee members who were against Gate's research had their teeth metaphorically pulled, clearing the way for a new commission for Gate's science.

X and Zero had taken over as pro tem commanders of Maverick Hunter HQ, but neither of them felt qualified for long term leadership, especially when they would more often than not be on the front lines should any major Maverick conflicts arise. As a result, they'd decided to commission Gate to provide a new Commander unit for the Maverick Hunters, a non-combatant who specialized in strategy, tactics, planning, and resource allocation. Gate had leapt at the chance, and produced yet another impressive Reploid as requested...Command Unit Signas. Of course, given the perfectionist Gate was, he wasn't willing to send Signas to start his job until he'd thoroughly tested his abilities and was certain he was up to the task.

As a result, despite Signas being completed over a month ago, he was only just now deployed to HQ for his new role. He was built to the same scale as Sigma's original body, but his specs showed no actual combat capability as requested. His decorative armor was a mix of blue, white, and gold, with six green computing cores lined up on his chest, amplifying his already high processing power and highly accurate CPU. His green eyes were somewhat faded, as lines of data could always be seen flying behind the irises. "Commander Signas, reporting for duty!" he proclaimed as he approached X, saluting.

"Welcome, Commander Signas," X greeted warmly, also saluting. "I admit, it's going to be a relief handing the reigns of command over to you. It's a strain I'm not cut out for. Zero feels much the same way, even if he's not here to say it."

"Looking forward to working with you, X," Signas replied insistently. "It's an honor and a privilege."

X smiled, chuckling. "Well, are you ready to get to work?"

"I hope I'll have a bit of time to familiarize myself with the personnel bios and quartermaster files before anything big happens," Signas admitted ruefully. "I'd hate to mess up due to incomplete information."

X grinned widely. "Well, we've had a few quiet months, so you shouldn't have too much to worry about-"

"Red Alert!" Alia announced as all the alarms started blaring. "Sigma has been sighted downtown, causing devastation and infecting Mechanaloids with an unknown new viral variant! I repeat, this is a Sigma level Maverick Incursion! All hands, respond!"

Signas fell to his knees and lifted his hands dramatically to the heavens in supplication. "But it's my first day on the job!" he wailed despairingly.

X simply stared at him flat eyed. "...are all of Gate's Reploids going to be so quirky?" he demanded, his voice dry.

"He's heavily inspired by the works of your maker, Dr. Light, and the scientists of that era," Signas explained as he stood up. "So probably."

"Good to know," X groaned. "Alia, contact Zero, and send the pair of us to the site along with Piano and Timbre."

"Are you sure you won't need more backup?" Signas asked worriedly. "There could be more danger than you know."

X smirked disarmingly. "It's Sigma," he countered dryly. "What's the worst that could happen?"

"I wish you hadn't said that," Signas whimpered as X headed for the teleporters.


X and Zero both beamed into the location where Sigma was last spotted, bracing for combat. "What's the report, Alia?" X called out.

"Sigma was last seen moving towards the statue that was under construction," Alia told them both. "We've lost the trail since. However, nearly every mechanaloid in the area has gone Maverick, including several abandoned taxis."

Zero stared at the large purple vehicle with buzzsaws on the front. "I still question the logic of that as public transportation...even in New York."

"Other units have been dispatched elsewhere in the city to slow down the spread of Maverick activity," Alia explained. "So you two just need to head straight for the statue to take out Sigma."

"Understood!" X replied. "Let's go, Zero!"

Zero grinned as he drew his beam saber. "This is gonna be fun."

The pair progressed rapidly through the city, more than a little surprised at the amount of damage that had already been done. "Okay, whatever new body Sigma has, we need to take it out fast," X insisted as they made their way over the devastated highway.

"That goes without saying, X," Zero replied as he split a taxi down the middle.

The pair continued onward, through a severely damaged building and on to another area with wide gaps, where they made use of a new adaption to their armor: a magnetic grip that could latch onto various types of cables to gain altitude or cross wide chasms. Beyond, they made their way up a narrow chute of crushing walls, a security system for the under construction statue that was malfunctioning.

Arriving at the top, they were amazed as the statue's head burst open, revealing a massive Sigma head grinning down at them. "Everything's going exactly according to plan!" Sigma cackled wickedly.

"So it's your plan to have us blast you to bits again?" Zero asked as he and X merged with their support units.

"Yes, actually," Sigma countered. "You specifically, Zero."

Zero groaned as he and X got into positions to tear him apart. "Not that whole 'destiny' bull crap again, is it?" he demanded as they proceeded to wail on Sigma, inflicting massive damage.

"Only partially," Sigma replied as he allowed himself to take damage. "See...I met someone who informed me...where my virus truly came from. A Revelation is at hand!"

Zero pulled back as X stopped firing. "Wait, what-"

Sigma self destructed, the giant head going up in a massive virus bomb, the new variation of the virus taking the shape of clouds that covered the globe. The explosion itself sent both X and Zero flying backwards, forcing an emergency evac...both of them and all Hunters in range as the - thankfully already evacuated - city was leveled.

PreviousChapters Next