• Published 4th Nov 2014
  • 532 Views, 15 Comments

Coco Pommel and the Supernatural: New Beginnings - Taranasauruso_o



Coco Pommel is plunged suddenly into the world of monsters and mares. Her life is changed forever, and now she must make a choice. Does she fight, or run? This is just the first of many adventures!

  • ...
0
 15
 532

Chapter 2


Chapter 2

- In which our heroine explains her situation, we learn of Canterlot's predicament, and explore our new companion's personality.


The emptiness of one’s mind is quite enticing. The void almost calls out to a lonely passerby, as if persuading them to come to the edge and see what lies beyond. The darkness of thought is the only vision, and yet it hypnotizes all. A pony could get lost in her own thoughtscape for what seemed like hours, exploring her subconscious to the full extent. And, while entering was completed with ease, leaving your own mind is taxing on even the strongest of ponies.

Even as she stood, her back to the edge, she could feel its pull on her. Reality seemed to slip and slide out of focus, and she felt her thoughts shift wildly through her memories. She spun, the void tugging on her weakened mind, and began her walk towards the nothingness. The ending approached, and she could feel her will slip with each passing hoof fall. As she teetered on the edge, her eyes peered into the emptiness. Something peered back.

A flash of light, and then darkness.


The first part of Coco to wake was her head. A dull throb pushed its way through the veil of her dreams, and wrenched her silently screaming back to reality. A soft whirring resounded around her, and while she dared not open her eyes for fear of blinding light, she did allow her ears to wander. The pain in her head seemed to slowly dissipate as she left her mind, and slowly, she opened her eyes. From beside her she could hear the soft sounds of somepony's breathing, however, her memory was currently failing her as to the source. A wave of cool air washed over her, and she smiled in content, her eyelids drooping once more.

She peered up at the dull ceiling above her, her eyes tracing the slow patterns of the fan. The whirring seemed to originate from there, as well as the cold air. Coco let her eyes follow the lazy swirling, her mind drifting back to her last memory. The empty streets; the cold moonlight; the strange pony-

Instantly her eyes shot open, and she lifted herself from the bed, using her forelegs to prop herself into a sitting position. Her companion gave a start, her snores stopping abruptly as she lifted her head from the pillow with a snort.

“Whazzah…?” The mare seemed momentarily dazed, her eyes blinking around the room. Eventually they rested on Coco, and she gave a sleepy smile, before her forehoof slipped out from underneath her, and she dropped to the floor with a thud. She groaned, lifting herself onto her hooves with a heavy sigh. “Mornin’.” She stated, irritation ringing clear in her voice.

Coco said nothing, instead she gave the mare a quizzical look. After a few moments of silent staring, the other mare grumbled something before she made her way to the counter on the opposite side of the room. As the mare walked, Coco began to examine her surroundings more carefully.

The pair seemed to have taken residence in a small suite, complete with a bathroom and kitchenette. The dull grey linoleum gave way to a small, beige section of carpeting. Dark stains spotted the floor, and the faded rug did nothing to hide the obvious unkemptness of the room. The walls were a slightly darker cream than the carpet, and while they were much cleaner, they still did not pass the ‘Coco quality test’. A small television sat atop the fridge opposite the beds, the picture running but the sound evidently muted. Finally, her eyes returned to the mare from the night before… ‘Red’.

‘Red’ turned to face her, the dopey smile from before having been replaced by an almost solemn expression. The bloodshot eyes seemed to convey a lack of sleep, while her messy mane indicated that she had slept too long. Overall, her exposition seemed to match her current mood, as she slowly stretched her mouth into a wide yawn. “... Ya hungry?” she asked, after a few moments of sleepy silence.

Coco nodded, and Red returned the gesture, before she slowly made her way towards the dark oak door. She reached out and dragged open the door, using her free hoof to motion for Coco to follow.

The two of them stepped out into the early dawn, the soft light easing Coco’s transition from darkness to the outside. After a few moments of blinking, she managed to clear the blurriness from her eyes. She turned to face Red, but found the mare had already began to make her way down the row of doors, rubbing at her eyes. Coco pushed herself to catch up, and after a few seconds of running she matched Red’s speed. The pair walked slowly, side by side, toward the mostly empty street. Aside from Coco and Red, the only other inhabitants of the road were a small filly, who was hurrying in the opposite direction, and a local street vendor, who was absent-mindedly flicking through a newspaper. No cars were, as yet, making their way toward the centre of town.

After a few minutes of walking down this nameless, mostly empty street, Red stopped. Coco glanced up as the mare pushed her way through the door on her left. A large, heavy sign swung back and forth in the low wind.

The Leaking Brain

Coco shuddered at the imagery, before she followed her companion into the diner.

The diner was slightly more busy than the street, as a few patrons had already seated themselves along the far wall, their tired faces glancing up as the pair entered. A quiet tinkle sounded from the bell above the door, and the mare behind the counter turned to face them. A soft smile lit across her face, and she motioned toward the stools in front.

"Well, good mornin' darlin's," she started, her heavy southern drawl slow and measured. She placed down the rag she had been sweeping down the length of the table and gave them another radiant smile. "What can ah do for two young lasses this early in the morn?"

Red waved her off with a hoof, her half-lidded eyes wearily scanning the menu. After a few seconds, she shrugged, before hoofing toward the lowest menu. "Jus'... Gimme the hayfries. Lot's of 'em." And then. "And coffee, strong. Really strong." She turned toward the closest booth and dropped down into the seat with a heavy thud.

"Just coffee, thanks," Coco supplied, her eyes shifting uneasily between the menu and the waitress. After a few moments of silence, Coco turned away towards the table, daintily placing herself down on the vinyl chair. She fixed Red with a cold stare, her gaze passing over the mare's features.

Red returned the look, albeit with less effort. "What?" Coco remained silent, and Red let out a sigh. "Look. Ah'm guessin' y'all're wonderin' 'bout last night, yeah?" Coco nodded. "Well, how much do ya remember?"

"Not much, really," Coco started, scratching at her chin with a hoof. "I remember..." She paused, casting her mind back to the previous night. The empty streets; the darkness of the alley; the bright flash of teeth. Coco shuddered. "That- that stallion had... Teeth." She eyed Red nervously, her expression hesitant. After a few moments, she added, "Really sharp teeth."

Red laughed at that, her golden mane framing her face. "Aye, that he did." Her smile slowly faded as she glanced around her, her eyes shifting between the waitress and the patrons. "Look, do ya really want ta know what that... Thing, was?" Her gaze fell on Coco, and her eyes seemed to harden under the soft glow of the morning sun.

Coco nodded.

"Ya sure?"

She nodded again.

"Ya reall-"

"-Look Red," Coco said, cutting off her companion with a hoof. "Whatever you tell me, I'm more than willing to believe." She shrugged. "I just had a pony try to eat me, and then spent a night in a stranger's hotel room. At this point, I'm just hoping for any kind of explanation."

Red slumped a little, her eyes dropping to the table. "Alright, but you asked for this." She raised her sight once again and fixed Coco with another cold look. "That pony last night... Wasn't a pony. Well, ain't a pony no more. He was a-" she gulped audibly and leaned forward, her next word coming out in a hoarse whisper. "Vampony."

Red had been hoping for any kind of reaction at this point. She'd been working her way up to this moment in her mind, thinking through every possible scenario in her head and counting through endless possible outcomes. She'd been prepared for shock, or fear, or even disbeliefe. But she wasn't ready for this.

Coco burst out laughing. In an instant, she let out a peal of giggles and squeezed her eyes shut. She could feel the eyes of the other patrons turn toward her, but she couldn't stop herself. She clutched at her belly with a hoof, the laughter making her sides ache. "Y-you-" She started, each word separated with another giggle. "You... can't... be... Serious!" She slowly came down from her high, her laughter slowly wearing off. "Wait... You actually are... Serious?"

Red's serious expression was all the convincing Coco needed. "Of course Ah'm serious. Y'all think I would lie 'bout somethin' like this?" Her lips quivered slightly, but she leaned forward, her voice strong and commanding. "One thing ya need ta understand 'bout me Coco, is if Ah'm gonna lie, it better be for a damn good reason." She sat back, a proud look upon her face. "We Apples never have been good at lyin'."

Coco made a mental note to ask Red about her heritage later, as she had more important things to focus on. For instance, the sanity of the pony across from her. "So, hold on-" She paused, shaking her head. "You're telling me that all those stories... Those TV shows, they've been telling the truth?" Coco gave her counterpart a question glare. "That... 'vamponies'-" She shuddered involuntarily at the name. "Are real?"

"As real as anything." Red glanced between Coco and the table, a guilty look crossing her face. "Well, almost anything, Ah mean, angels ain't real." She laughed. "Can ya imagine what-"

"What about ghosts?" Coco asked, cutting Red off mid sentence.

"What about 'em?"

Coco gave her a deadpan stare. "Are they real?"

"'Course," Red said, her voice laced with apprehension. She was hesitant to begin to answer Coco's questions. The mare seemed to be taking the news well, despite her original fright. In fact, Coco seemed to be almost eager, her newfound curiosity overtaking her general cautiousness. "Ya seem awful interested in this..."

Coco paused, the smile dying on her lips. She sat back, running a hoof through her mane. "Well... It's certainly, interesting, to say the least." She looked away from Red's glare of disbelief. "Well, okay," she started, her cheeks flushing. "I may have been rather interested in the... Occult, in my earlier years." She shied away from Red's accusing gaze. "University wasn't exactly the most engaging of places for a fashion major, okay?!"

Red gave a light chuckled. "Relax, relax. Ah was jus' teasin'." She let out another giggle, before glancing up from the table.

"Your orders," the waitress spoke as she neared the pair, a tray balanced upon her back. She leaned to the side, and the mugs slid onto the table. A small basket of Hayfries followed them, and Red's eyes lit up. "If'n there's anythin' you two need, you know where I am." She gave them another smile, before she turned back and made her way toward the counter.

Red wasted no time as she reached and lifted a large hoof-full of fries to her mouth, crunching down with gusto. Coco reached down and lifted her coffee up, feeling the steam wash against her snout as she wafted the smell over her. The deep rich of coffee beans filled her nostrils, and, for a moment, she felt the tension in her shoulder's slip away. Warmth spread through her once again, and she let her mind wander, the sounds of Red's eating slowly washing away into inky nothingness.

Darkness, and then, a flash.

With a start, Coco's eyes shot open, and she inhaled sharply, her ears popping. Red glanced up from her food, her eyes filled with worry.

"Coco, y'all okay?" She swallowed, before pushing her almost empty basket away. "Ya don't look too good."

Coco waved at her with a hoof, her other holding the cup aloft. "I'm... Alright. Just a bad memory."

Red, gave her a quizzical look, before her eyes lit up. "Hay, that reminds me." As she spoke she lifted herself up, placing a hoof under her chin and resting the crook against the table. "What were y'all doin' out there last night?"

"Well, apparently I was being eaten by a 'Vampony."

Red rolled her eyes in response. "No, Ah mean before that." She waved a hoof. "Why were ya out so late ta begin wit'?"

Coco shifted uncomfortably. "Well, to be honest," she started, her cheeks flushing a light pink. "I was kind of... Lost." She glanced away from Red's gaze.

"Lost? In Canterlot?" Red gave a small chuckle. "If Ah had a bit fo' every time Ah've heard that before..." She muttered to herself. "Anyway, how'd ya end up lost. Ah mean, ya gotta have started from somewhere ya knew, right?"

Coco shook her head. "No, I woke up in Canterlot's morgue, and started to-"

"Woah woah woah, back up there missy," Red started, accenting her words with waves of her hooves. "Ya woke up in the morgue? How'd ya end up there?"

"I... I don't know," Coco answered honestly, her eyes slowly rising up to meet Red's. "Last thing I remember is..." She trailed off, her eyes glazing for a moment.

"... Y'all remember is?"

Coco slowly shifted her sight back into focus. "Dying."

Red had, unfortunately, taken this moment to sip her coffee. In an instant, she sprayed the brown liquid out through her nose and all over the waiting table. "Ya what?!"

"I think I died." Coco gave a worried look. "Is that normal?" She shook her head. "Look, it's really confusing, but I'm fairly certain that's what happened. I remember a bank, there were some masked stallions and-"

Red stopped her with another hoof wave. "Which bank?" she asked, her eyes darting toward the counter.

"I... Don't remember."

Red darted up from her chair, and then returned in an instant, a newspaper clutched in her mouth. "Ith it thithmm mmonth?" she mumbled through the paper.

"Pardon?"

Red spat out her mouthful, her hooves jumping to the table and pointing toward the front cover image. "Is it this one?" she asked again.

Coco glanced down at the cover, and gasped.

[centre]Robbery at Canterlot Bank, One Presumed Dead[/centre]

Below was printed a huge and slightly familiar entrance. Huge, ivory pillars lifted from the ground, and they met at a large, almost ancient apex. Grooves ran down around each pole, and they met at an expanded base. At the top read, in large, cursive letters: Canterlot Central Bank. Coco gave a gasp, and she glanced up at Red, her eyes large. "Y-yes, that's the one." She paused, deciding on her next words carefully. "Red... If I died, then how am I here now?"

"Ah have no idea," Red answered honestly, shaking her head in confusion. "Even after all Ah've seen, I ain't never heard o' nopony just gettin' up after dyin'." After a few moments, her look changed, and she gave Coco a hopeful smile. "But Ah think Ah know somepony who might be able ta help ya."

Coco cocked her head. "You do?"

"Aye, but Ah don't think I can take ya to him right now." Red smiled apologetically. "Ah'm in the middle of a case, after all."

"A case?" Coco asked, taking another sip from her mug.

Red nodded. "In fact," she started. "Ah'm huntin' down them fangs you got yerself in trouble wit' last night." She smiled proudly, nodding with each word.

"Wait," Coco lifted a hoof, her eyes searching Red's features. "Hunting? You mean you go out looking for these... These- monsters?"

Red nodded sagely, drinking deeply before slamming her coffee down on the table. "Aye, that Ah do." She gave Coco a sidelong glance. "That scare ya?"

"A little. But it's more... Shocking." Coco rubbed at her neck with a hoof. "Knowing that there've been all of these creatures and... 'monsters', outside my window every night, and I've just slept through it all." She shook her head slowly. "I just can't believe I've never noticed before."

Red rose from her seat, placing a hoof on Coco's shoulder. "If you've never seen them, then Ah know Ah've been doin' mah job right." She offered a small smile, before motioning for Coco to stand. "C'mon now, We've got places to be."

Coco shot her a look as she stood. "We? Who ever said I wanted to follow you into this crazy world?"

Red glanced over her shoulder as they approached the waitress. "Listen sister, like it or not, those fangs marked ya as a target. As soon as one wants ya, they all do." She placed a hoof-full of bits on the counter, shooting a wink toward the waitress as she turned out of the diner. "And, let's face it, they're ain't many mare's like me in this town. IF one finds ya, Ah'm not sure you could survive this time 'round. So, y'all need me, and Ah could certainly use tha help." She pushed open the door and stepped out onto the now busy street. "Now c'mon, we gotta get goin' 'fore it gets too busy round there."

"Round where? Wait, where are we going?" Coco asked, hurrying behind Red as they made their way down the path.

Red spun as she walked, flashing Coco with a wink. "We're goin' ta tha' morgue."

Author's Note:

Next time:

Coco visits the land of the dead, and learns of some unexpected skills along the way.


Ta da!

Man what a great chapter that totally wasn't filler and really explained a lot, huh? Man, I bet you enjoyed it, did't you?

Man everyone loves filler.

On a serious note, I really do hope you stick through this. It might take a bit to catch up to the more 'action' side of Supernatural, but pretty soon we'll be into the 'detective' side of the show.

Comments and criticism are always welcome!

See you next time! :twilightsheepish:

Comments ( 3 )

just a general curiosity by out of all the ponies you pick coco not saying the story is bad but i'm wondering

Akuma:why n t enough pinkie

me:shut it you

5563042
Originally It was b/c Coco is one of the better ponies in the current 'canon'. But after a few brainstorming ideas, her personality and look kinda 'fits' into the ideas that i ahd for the story.

She kinda juxtaposes against Red, and seems to be timid, and a little outspoken. But at the same time, she has that passion and determination that is absent in the other options I had for characters.

Overall, Coco fit best for me.

Thanks for the question!

I really hope you will write some more.

Login or register to comment