• Published 13th Feb 2012
  • 4,503 Views, 42 Comments

The Assistant - gamemaster36



1000 years is a long time to find inner peace

  • ...
6
 42
 4,503

PreviousChapters Next
The Assistant: Meeting Applejack

(WARNING: Not Proofread! If you want to proofread my story then leave a comment. Thank you.)

I asked Twilight to head over to Applejack's house. I could have became invisible and followed her, but I needed some time to think. All the questioning from the Unicorn made me think of when I started to do this and how I had questions. Questions that received little answer. The only thing the boss told me was that I wasn't supposed to die so early. I was only 34 when the incident occurred.

It was a cold winter night in New York. The kinda night that made you wish you were indoors. I was beyond that, for I was on my way to help the underprivileged kids at the church have a happy holiday. I was walking along the old, cracked sidewalks of the once great and beautiful city. The city was in a dire state of disrepair. There was a depression that caused many in New York to lose their jobs and have to live on the streets. When this happened, crime skyrocketed in the city. People bought guns and drugs with the last of their money in desperation to make some. Nice neighborhoods turned moss ridden, covered in tall grass and drug dealers on every corner. This was not the city I grew up in.

I was on my way to the church to donate some money for the orphans in the middle of winter. It was a cold day, so I decided it would be best if I put on my trench coat for the walk there. I saw no need to own a car in such a city like New York. It was much easier for me to walk there. As I walked, a man crept out of a dark alleyway. At first I didn't notice the man walking towards me. Then I heard a gun click and immediately looked over at him. He had dark brown hair that looks to have not been washed in weeks. Dirty clothes covered by a thick black coat. Pants that had more mud on them than his winter boots.
“Give me your money! All of it!”, He said to me with a bitter taste of anger and violence.


My arm started to twitch as I realize I have been doing it again. I have been thinking about the past once more.
“I have to stop doing that.”
The arm twitch also meant another thing. It meant the Unicorn had done as I asked and made it to Applejack's house. Quickly I teleport to her side as she is shocked by my sudden presence. Lucky for me, no other ponies were around when I appeared.
“H-h-how did you do that?!”, Twilight said, stunned by me knowing she has made it to the farm without me even watching her.
“It is one of my many senses I learned to do this job.”, I said knowing that she would ask.
“What senses?”
“I will answer that question after we find the one you call Applejack.”
“OK...”, She said slowly turning her head away from me.
“I think she might be in the orchard apple-bucking.”
“Then let's go check.”


We walk toward large rows of apple trees. This must be their main product of the farm since it is the largest part and the talent of the farmer is apples and I guess other apple products. Me and Twilight just walk through the rows of trees looking for the orange pony. I see no sign as we look through the well spaced trees. Finally Twilight spots her doing what she said she was. Bucking trees till the apples fell off.
“She must be really strong to do that, or trees aren’t made here like the ones I come from”, I think to myself a little impressed by the little pony.
“I don't think I should talk to her.”, Twilight said a little scared.
“Well then let me do all the talking.”, I say as I get ready to turn invisible.
Within a couple of seconds, I blend into my surrounding once again so I can approach the pony.
“You have to tell me how you do that later.”
“I will gladly explain after I talk to the orange one.”


I approach the apple farmer doing what she probably does best, farm apples. As I look at her, I can't help but notice her expression. It was one of sadness and anger, and every time she bucked a tree, it would change slightly. She was upset from Twilight's action earlier. I hope I don't have to comfort her.
“Hello.”, I simply spoke.
She looked around to find the source of the greeting.
“Who's their?”, Applejack questioned looking in all directions.
“I sense you are upset from Twilight's actions earlier.”
“How would you know about that?”
“It was in a public area.”
“Oh.”, she said, looking down digging at the ground nervously.
“I guess it was.”
“I understand it was over a book. Did you have something to do with it?”
Her head lifted up lighting quick with an angry expression across her face.
“No! I would never lie! I'm the element of honesty anyway!”
“Element of honesty? What could that mean? I will have to inquire about that later.”
“So you didn't take it or see who did?”
“No. Now who are ya and where are ya.”
“I am The Assistant, and I am here to help Twilight find her book. I am not a pony, so please do not be shocked by my appearance.”
This seemed to make her nervous as to what I looked like. She could only nod as she still was looking around to find me.


She was standing under a tree directly in front of me. The leaves around where I was standing started to blow up as I began to become visible. The same symbol appeared at my feet from earlier to signify where I was standing. Again, it slowly went all the way up my body until it disappeared over my head. The look on Applejack's face was one of surprise and fear of the tall bipedal creature in front of her. She quickly recovered with a shake of her head and realizing it wasn't polite to stare. Even though I am immortal, I still respected good manners. This Applejack was a well mannered work horse.
“Sorry I stared at ya, just never seen anything like that before.”
“Not a problem. I expect that to happen a lot today.”
“So I don't think we have had a proper greeting. My names Applejack.”
She held out a hoof to give me the pony equivalent of a hand shake. I respected her and returned the favor.
“Assistant.”
“That don't sound like any name to me! What's your real name?”
I just looked at her, shocked as I realized I might at some point have to give my actual name. I just calmed down and responded.
“Just call me Assistant for now. I don't want to give all my personal information away.”
“Since when in the hay was a name personal info?”, She questioned tipping her head to the left.
“Since it started to hurt others.”, I said a little worried about her response to that.
She looked a little scared again. That must have put a whole load of questions in her head.
“Well we better go. Twilight is waiting for us over their beyond those apple trees.”
She looked over to see Twilight with a look on her face that said she was sorry.
Quickly me and Applejack walked over to Twilight.
“Applejack.... I'm sorry I yelled at you guys earlier. It's just that that was my favorite book and I can't go a day without reading some of it.”
“Aw Twilight. You getting all saddle-sore over that book musta meant it was a special book. I just wished you coulda asked one of us to help instead of blaming everypony.”
With that, the two hugged and looked over to me to ask who to talk to next.
“Alright. Twilight. Make a list of ponies you would least suspect to the most suspected and we will go from there.”
“OK. Hmm... Fluttershy.... Rainbow Dash.... Rarity and then Pinkie Pie.”, She said with a delay in between most of the names.
“OK then. Lets go visit this Fluttershy.”
“Wait!”, Twilight yelled.
“Didn't you say you would answer my questions?”
I sighed.
“I will answer them on the way to Fluttershy's house.”

PreviousChapters Next