• Published 13th Feb 2012
  • 4,502 Views, 42 Comments

The Assistant - gamemaster36



1000 years is a long time to find inner peace

  • ...
6
 42
 4,502

PreviousChapters Next
The Assistant: Meeting Twilight

As I approached the tree house, being sure not to be detected by the ponies I pass, I can't help but remember my first time assisting someone who needed my help. It was back when I wasn't hired to keep things from going wrong...
...Back when I was human.

It was just an ordinary day in New York City. The sky was clear, the people were busy, and I was happy. It was another day that I took advantage of because of the beautiful weather. I decided I would go to the park and fly my homemade kite. It was a bulky object that was a multitude of colors ranging from red to violet to yellow. I had entered a competition to see who could build the best kite in a week and fly it for the longest time. I was an expert at planning and designing, so naturally I won. I was walking into the main road of the park when out of the corner of my eye, I saw a kid. He was sitting on a bench crying. I assumed it had something to do with the broken kite next to him. I then walked over to see if that was why he was crying.
“What's the matter?”, I said looking sympathetic.
“M-my k-k-kite broke!”, he said with tears in his eyes.
I look over at the kite. It was broken, but not irreparable.
“Don't worry. I can fix it for ya!”, I said as a smile began to cross my face.
“R-really?”
“Sure!”
I then picked the kite to examine the damage. The wings on both side had holes in them and the mast was split in two. The only parts I had available to me were the ones on my kite. This kid’s kite was a pretty good one and I dare even said it was better than mine. I decided I should put my parts onto his kite so he would cheer up. I reached into my pocket to pull out a knife, some spare string, glue, and extra fabric I keep on me when I go kite flying and began to work. It wasn't easy, but I fixed that kids kite real good. He was so joyful when he saw his kite that I couldn't even understand what he said when he started talking. I just nodded and said, “Your welcome”, as he ran off to let the kite's glue dry in a nice sunny area. Later that week, I saw him win the competition in the park. I couldn't help but smile at the fact that my help made him win that competition.

That was a long time ago, and I have faced much darker and dangerous challenges since then.

I finally arrive at my destination. I stand outside the front door of the Unicorns house. I have to think of how to get her to talk to me.
“Hmm... I can't knock on the door since I am still invisible and don't want to attract attention.”
I look around for another way in. Luckily, I see a balcony on the right side of the tree with a glass door.
“Perfect”, I think to myself as I walk over.
Without hesitation, I leap up and grab the railing of the balcony. It was about ten feet off the ground, but I made it easily up. I then silently picked myself up and over, making a slight thump on the floor as I landed.

I decide I should look in to see what the Unicorn was doing. I take a peek inside to see a giant room full of all kinds of books.
“This must be some sort of library”, I think to myself.
“Is that what her mark means? Books?”
I then see a small green and purple reptilian creature looking around the room.
“What is that? Some sort of reptile. Maybe dragon?”
I then start to hear Twilight from down stairs.
“SPIKE!”, she hollered in an annoyed, frustrated tone.
“What!?”, replied the small reptile.
“So its name is Spike, and seems to be able to talk”
“HAVE YOU FOUND THAT BOOK YET?!”
“No, I haven't Twilight!”
“THEN KEEP LOOKING?!”
The reptilian creature then proceeded to a book shelf and began to scan the sides.
“Have to get Twilight to come up here and talk to me, but how?”
Just then I had the idea. I then knocked on the glass to get the attention of Spike. He looked up and over towards the balcony. He just shrugged and continued searching. I then tapped on the glass a little harder this time and faster. This caused Spike to walk over and look out. Still seeing nothing, he began to walk away, so I tapped again. This time he turned and marched towards the door. I quickly backed away, for I knew he was going to open the door. Spike then, as predicted, opened the door to look around. He still saw nothing, so I had to begin to speak.
“May I speak to Twilight?”, I inferred as calmly as possible
The little reptile quickly looked shocked at the sudden voice out of nowhere.
“WHA- WHOS THERE!?”, he said with a little fear in his eyes.
“Don't be alarmed. I am here to help this Twilight find her book.”
“O-okay.”, Spike said still a little shocked.
“Twilight, somepony want's you!”, he yelled to Twilight.
“Somepony?! Oh no.”, I thought as of course, I knew where this was going.
“WHAT?! WHO IS IT!? IS IT ONE OF MY EX-FRIENDS!?”
This made me realize what this was all about. Those other five were her friends and she suspects that one of them has taken her book.
“No! It's... somepony else!”
“WHO!?”, she questioned, even more annoyed.
Quickly, Spike turned around, still trying to find me.
“Who are you exactly?”
“I am The Assistant.”, I said without hesitation.

I have been asked many times who I am and where I came from. I figured if I never gave personal information like that away, others wouldn't get to close to me.

“He calls himself The Assistant!”, spike yelled back to Twilight.
“He says he is here to help you find your book!”
With that, I could hear her coming up the stairs that are almost right across the glass doors. She seemed tired, almost dehydrated from the energy she used to try and find this book. It must be really important.
“Where is he?”, She asked, looking less agitated.
“Out here.”, Spike said pointing out to the balcony.
She ran over to see an empty balcony of which I was standing in.
“Is this some kinda joke Spike?”, she asked, her frustration clearly rising.
“No.”, I said to keep her from getting mad at Spike.
She looked around, a little less shocked then Spike at the sudden voice.
“Who's there?”
“The Assistant”, I said to reassure her.
“Where are you?”
“In front of you.”
Twilight looked ahead to see nothing but an empty space where I was standing.
“Don't play jokes on me!”, she said as her anger was slowly coming back.
“I'm sorry I am hiding my form, but it is much to shocking for you at the moment.”
“W-what?”, Spike said with a little more fear in his eyes.
“Really?”, Twilight said with curiosity in her face.
“Yes. I am not here to hurt you, but to help you. My species isn't found anywhere near your planet, so my appearance will seem alien to you.”
“Show Me!”, Twilight challenged me.
“Are you sure you want to do that Twilight?”, Spike questioning her actions.
“Really?”, I asked
“Yes. I am sure I can handle it.”
“OK.”
I then decided I should do this slowly so I don't scare them. A round circle with loads of mystical symbols on it formed around the base of my feet slowly going up. Revealing me at a rate of about an inch per second. After about a minute, I was fully visible.

The look on both of their faces was one of shock. I must have been a terrible sight for them. I stand a little over six feet or double their height, wearing my long black trench coat that reached down to my brown boots. My grey t-shirt was tucked into my black pants with a brown belt and weird looking buckle. My face heavily scarred as testament to my many years of getting cut. My face was of course too much for them to comprehend, my flat mouth under my bulging out nose. My eyes colored a shade that is mix of yellow and red. My hands, semingly familiar to Spikes, but with longer and more fingers. My hair was a mess that spiked up a little and in some parts just lay flat. That sight alone seemed to make Spike pass out.

Her face still in shock, Twilight began to speak.
“What are you?”
“I cannot say at the moment. Right now we have to find that book for you.”
“Why?”, she questioned as some of her shock went away.
“There will be plenty of time for questions later. Right now we have to talk to the others you were talking to earlier.”
“How do you know about that?”
“I was watching from a distance.”
“You were eavesdropping!?”
“It's hard not to eavesdrop when you can hear it from a different dimension!”, I snapped as I was getting frustrated with the constant questioning.
“O-oh...”, she looked a little disappointed. Probably realizing her outburst was in public.
“Sorry. You just ask too many questions and provide little answers.”
“So what do you want to know?”, she perked up a little. About to answer questions seemed to be the same for her as asking them.
“Why are you looking for a certain book?”
“It was the first book I ever red. I need it to remind me of my parents since I don't see them that often anymore.”
“Who do you suspect out of all five of your friends?”
“I can't really say. We were having a party in here and it was gone when they all left.”
“Which one should be the easiest to cancel out?”
“Probably Applejack.”
“OK then. Let’s go pay her a visit.”
“How do you know our names?”
“I read your minds while you were arguing, just so I could get your names without asking. And there is another thing I want to ask you.”
“OK, what?”
“What is that mark on you back side?”
“Oh this?”, She says as she points to it with her hoof. “It's a cutie mark! You get one on your flank when you find your special talent! Mine is magic!”
The name “Cutie Mark” sends shivers down my spine about how cute and fluffy this simple adventure is going to be. I just sigh as I ask her to go to where Applejack is.
“Are you going with?”
“Yes, I will. It's just you need to go first so I can get there without causing a stir between all the other ponies in town.”
“OK.”, she said as she seemed to understand fully on the consequences of that.
With that, she headed down the stairs and out the front door of the library.
“I hope this doesn't take too long and I hope the boss isn't watching.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note:
Thanks to Gytrash for proofreading the first three and future chapters for me :)

PreviousChapters Next