• Published 14th Apr 2013
  • 2,775 Views, 276 Comments

Living Mark of Courage - Moowell



Part 2: Epona has obtained the Element of Honesty, but the other Elements of Harmony are still hidden across the world. With the nations on guard, her greatest trials are still to come.

  • ...
7
 276
 2,775

Cause and Effect

A small tapping on her study door alerted the Empress to the coming intruder. She looked up from her scrolls to see her courier standing in the entrance. "Come in."

"Thank you, your majesty." As the mare entered, she pulled a small scrolls from her satchel. "Report from our agent in Ponyville."

"Ah, yes. I was beginning to wonder when this would arrive. Thank you, Courier. You are dismissed." The courier bowed and left the room in silence. "...You aren't usually the late-comer, Trixie. After last month's report, let's hope you have better news."

The last set of reports had contained a mixed blessing. On the one hoof, the Empress knew that Epona had vanished. That had left a bitter taste in her mouth, as it meant she no longer had the pony responsible for the destruction of the ADDC's base. It also meant she no longer had access to the Element of Honesty. If Epona wasn't found soon, she would find herself at war with the Diamond Dogs.

On the other hoof, the changelings hadn't followed up similarly on the following destruction of their base in the Everfree. That may have been thanks to Pinkie Pie's appearance at the site. The energetic mare had left her a gift-wrapped Element of Kindness, complete with a little red ribbon for a bow with last month's report. Still, it wouldn't have been possible without Epona. If she hadn't stirred up the changelings, Pinkie never would have been able to find the Element.

Still, that was just Epona's situation. It didn't even take into account all the other reports coming in. According to her agents abroad, the other nations had begun to mobilize and fortify their bases. She had no doubt they knew what was going on and were making their Elements more secure. Several of them had already fallen under attack to enemy agents, though all had proven unsuccessful thus far. And every failed attempt made them even harder to overcome.

Only the filly had proven capable of a successful attack, which made finding her ever more important. The Empress looked down at the latest report and read silently.

It was not good news.

A light tapping signaled the courier's return. "Pardon my intrusion, your majesty, but there is an Emissary from the Badlands to speak with you."

"Thank you. You are dismissed." As soon as the courier was gone, she sighed. "Trixie, you damned fool..."

*****

"Your majesty, I... Yes, yes I did, but... I thought they would... No, it was a local... I asked, but they placed a geas on him... No, she isn't. She's stable, but I don't have the skill for... I tried, but it didn't work. She needs an antidote... Your majesty, somepony has to stay and keep an eye on... You want me to what?!.. With all due respect, your majesty, I don't think that's wise... I understand. As you wish, your majesty." Trixie re-entered Mirror Child's bedroom.

"Miss Trixie?" Trixie looked down to Epona, then to her sleeping student.

Then she sighed deeply.

"Epona, why don't we go and visit the Apples?"

Epona shrank back a little. "What about Mirrors? Somepony should stay behind and keep an eye on her. You know, in case she wakes up and needs something?"

"That's a good idea," Trixie replied with a nod. "I'll stay behind and keep an eye on her while you go and say your goodbyes."

"Wait, goodbyes? What do you mean?"

"The Empress has... asked, me to re-unite you with your family."

Epona's brows furrowed in confusion. "If Ah'm going back to them, why do Ah have to tell them goodbye?"

Trixie shook her head. "Not the Apples, Epona. Your other family."

"Mah other..." Epona's eyes flew open as understanding came. "You mean...?"

Trixie nodded. "Mhmm."

"But... What about the Apples? What about Mirrors? What about going to magic school?"

The mare knelt down and looked her in the eyes with a small smile. "It's okay, Epona. The Apples will understand, as will Mirror Child when she's strong enough to stay awake. And don't worry about school just yet, alright? There's still some time before the next semester starts, and even if you can't make it this year, there's always next year. Or the year after that. Who knows? You may find that you don't even need it with how fast your magic has been growing."

"Yea, but..." After a short pause, her head fell. "...What if they still don't want me?"

Trixie's eyes widened slightly. "How could you think that? They do want you. I know they do."

"How? How do you know?" The filly's eyes began to water as she sniffed. "They left me behind. They didn't even say goodbye..."

"Oh, Epona..."

"And now you're trying to get rid of me too..."

The mare reached out and pulled Epona into a hug, much to the surprise of them both. "Don't you dare think that. Do you think I want to do this? Do you think Mirror Child will be okay, losing her friend like this? When she heard you were converted, she thought she lost you and it nearly broke her."

Epona pulled back and looked up at Trixie. "Then why?" Her eyes pleaded with Trixie not to go through with what the mare knew she had to. The events that were coming were not meant for this little one, no matter how much she thought she could be of use.

"Because it's the right thing to do," she finally replied. "We will miss you too, but they are your family. You should be with them."

Epona leaned back into Trixie's hug before she nodded. "Okay."

Saying goodbye to the Apples was hard for Epona. Baldwin stood strong for them, made easier as he had the least contact with her. Raritan offered an apology for everything she said and for chasing her when she was turned into a changeling, which she gladly accepted. Alkmene and Crabby tried to use the sad puppy eyes on her to make her stay, but the magic didn't work because she was still a filly. Then there was Applejack. There were no words between them, just a look of understanding in each others' eyes followed by a hug; one of those hugs that only comes through experience.

She didn't say goodbye to Belmont, as he would be guiding her to her new home. Instead, she waved a tearful goodbye to the Apple Family and followed the large stallion to the train station. A part of her hoped that she would find Mirrors and Trixie waiting there for her, but she didn't let their absence get to her too much.

*****

To Whom It May Concern,

You are already aware that the Badland's base in Equestria was recently destroyed, its Element taken, and that two ponies were involved in the attack. One was Pinkamena Pie, of whom I previously warned, but the second was an unknown filly. While Pinkamena's whereabouts are currently unknown, it has come to my attention that the filly had been tracked and captured by the Badland Hive.

She has escaped. Mirror Child, whom you may remember as another rogue agent from my previous message, infiltrated the Badland Hive and escaped with her in tow and is currently at large. I have attached the other filly's description, as provided by the Hive, to this message.

Ruler of the Equestrian Empire,
Empress Moon.

*****

Apple Bloom: Earth Pony Filly
Age: 10-13
Last Known Location: Badland Hive
Area of Expertise: Unknown
Physical Description: Yellow fur, Red mane/tail, Orange eyes
Cutie Mark: None
Alternate Form: None
Physical Description: N/A

According to patrols stationed at the Badland's base, she uses various items in combat, including a sword and shield, boomerang, slingshot with various ammunition, and bombs. She is reported to be strong enough to lift and throw a manticore, and she has the ability to create thunderstorms using music. She seems to be important enough to the rogues to warrant a rescue mission from the Hive capitol. Little else is known about her. Investigations are in progress to determine who she is and her connection to the rogues.

Author's Note:

Finally.

Finally life lets up enough to let me get the creative juices flowing. I know the chapter isn't much, especially after 5 months of inactivity, but hopefully I'll get more out sooner. And faster.

Comments ( 18 )

it's been a while, because i don't remember her having another family. she's an Apple for fucks sake! is this another trick?

6013431
No, it's not a trick. And yes, Apple Bloom is an Apple. But before Epona tried to join the Apples, before she moved in with Trixie and Mirrors, there was a family that accepted her into their home. Does that help?

6013470 Right! now i remember! still, i wish that she would be recognized as AB and returned to the Apple family. poor AJ.....

6013965
Perhaps at some point, they'll be re-united :twilightsmile:

Just not yet.

Sweet, this's finally updated, and it is very nice to see this again. I'm a little concern, though. Won't this magic school subplot slow down the pacing of this story a bit? Or, do you have a plan with it?

C&Cs:
"Thank you. You are dismissed. As soon as the courier was gone, she sighed. "Trixie, you damned fool..."
> Missing an ending quotation after ‘dismissed’.
...for chasing her when she was turned into a changeling, which she gladly acepted.
> Correction: ‘accepted’.

6015039
The school may slow down the pace a bit, but I don't see it becoming cumbersome. As I see it, it's a very hooves-on sort of place that prefers practical experience over a classroom setting. For example, Mirrors is still "in school" under Trixie's guidance, but she took a field trip to Ponyville to practice tracking and investigation techniques. Still, that's a little ways off from now. I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point.

Besides, if there's anything that really slows down the pace, it's my spotty update schedule :twilightblush:

6018152
I hope you enjoy it! I'll be the first to admit that my early chapters aren't exactly the greatest ever written, :twilightsheepish: but I hope that once you muscle through, you'll like what you see. Have fun! :twilightsmile:

6033725
Keeping reading. You're probably going to be in for a little bit of a surprise.

6018536
6033832
For further reference, Notifications are only sent out when a reply happens in the same chapter as the original post. Blame Knighty.

6045666
Huh... The more you know.

So, how do you like it so far? From your earlier comments, I assume you've got some pluses and minuses, and I know I've got a couple different ideas for future stuffs.

6057194
Which companion? Navi? Tatl? Fi? Midna? All of them were companions to a wielder of the master sword.

6059640
You also forgot the owl, but that is beside the point. I specifically stated "spirit" companion, by which I meant Fi. (Couldn't remember her name at the time.) I wasn't even trying to be vague. Navi and Tatl were both fairies, Midna was a Twili, and the thrice damned owl was... an owl. All of which had physical bodies. (Even if Midna tended to break the laws of physics almost as much as Pinkie Pie.) Fi, in contrast, is merely a "hologram" projected by the Master Sword. Whether she is the sword itself, a spirit bound to the sword, or a sub-sapient (...if technically sentient...) computer program running in the sword, is entirely up to head canon.

6066675
That will depend on the state of your head, the state of your desk, and whether or not you think it's worth it. :pinkiehappy:

It's a good story but just a question... How the hell exist life? it's 100 years without sun. At this rate the planet must be a giant popsicle

6100493
'Tis a good question. Perhaps the sun was merely a tool for providing light, like a giant lamp in the sky. Maybe there's a sort of shield surrounding Equestria and its allies, keeping them healthy similarly to the Crystal Empire 100 years prior. Maybe the Moon reflects enough sunlight to prevent the planet from turning to ice. Perhaps there's a side of the world where the sun has not set for over 100 years, its rays warming the atmosphere enough to sustain life, or wilder still, warms the moon every night for the coming day.

I like questions like this one! It really gets the thought process going.

6100619 Maybe the magic of the ponies let them stay under -30º and the world is not in ice because the ice is also controled by the ponies, or maybe they did not the autumn wrap up (Exist winter wrap up so maybe it could exist autumn wrap up) or maybe Celestia is in the center of the earth making it so that there is still live.

Thanks for answer.

any hope of this continuing?

8182452 Little, I'm afraid. I've got a significantly less-than ideal work schedule right now, and it's been -- wow, two years since I posted the most recent chapter. I could go back, re-read it, and try to remember where it was going, but the chances aren't good right now.

Login or register to comment