• Published 14th Apr 2013
  • 2,775 Views, 276 Comments

Living Mark of Courage - Moowell



Part 2: Epona has obtained the Element of Honesty, but the other Elements of Harmony are still hidden across the world. With the nations on guard, her greatest trials are still to come.

  • ...
7
 276
 2,775

Enemy Plans

Diamond Tiara huffed as she slammed the door to her home. Being forced to run away from blank flanks? Her reputation would be ruined! Not to mention the embarrassment of losing a fight to that country hick, Applebloom. She would never live it down. Everypony at school would hear about it, and she wouldn't be able to run the show anymore.

She screamed and stomped her hooves in fury.

"Diamond Tiara, what have I told you about throwing temper tantrums?" said a voice from behind her. She whirled to see her father, Filthy Rich, staring at her sternly. She shrunk a little.

"Only when you can't hear..."

"That's right. Now tell me about what's bothering you, or I'll discipline you for being disobedient," Mr. Rich said coolly. Diamond Tiara took a deep breath.

"I was at the park with Silver Spoon, when I saw those blank flanks from school. They--"

"Stop," Mr. Rich ordered, raising a hoof. "The blank flanks?"

Tiara groaned. "Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo." Mr. Rich nodded. "Anyway, they had the nerve to have a picnic right where I was walking! I went to teach them a lesson in manners, but then Scootaloo tackled me. Silver Spoon and I couldn't just let them attack us without repercussions. She threw Scootaloo away and kept Sweetie Belle busy while I dealt with Applebloom. Applebloom's usually their ringleader, and we're both earth ponies, so it's only natural that I be the one to deal with her."

"Did you win?" Mr. Rich asked with a voice of authority. Diamond Tiara blanched and her mouth went dry.

"No, but--"

"Have you learned nothing from your training?!" he raged. "How often have I told you not to start a fight against somepony stronger than you?"

"But I didn't start it! Scootaloo did!" she protested.

"I have a feeling you provoked her," he said knowingly.

"A-anyways, I was winning! Even when the match became more balanced, I took up a weapon to make sure I wouldn't lose, just like you taught me!"

"So not only did you pick a fight you couldn't win, but your judgment was so poor that you chose an opponent who could beat you with a handicap," he said with a calm, emotionless fury. He grabbed his daughter and began to drag her upstairs.

"That's not it at all!" she exclaimed, struggling to get free. "If Applebloom hadn't pulled that stick out of thin air, I would never have lost!" she shouted. He paused, visibly holding back his wrath.

"Diamond Tiara, nothing appears from 'out of thin air'," he seethed. "Are your skills in observation so bad that you didn't notice a potential weapon?"

"No! I'm saying there was nothing anywhere near her, then she suddenly had a sword in her hooves. It appeared from nowhere like magic!" The anger burning inside Mr. Rich died instantly. He released Diamond Tiara's hoof and knelt to her level, staring directly into her eyes.

"Magic? I thought you said your friend was keeping the other two busy. Was there another unicorn nearby, or had she been defeated by that point?"

"Neither. It was just the five of us." She turned her eyes slightly, trying to avoid her father's penetrating gaze.

"Don't look away from me," he snapped, his tone firm but gentle. She looked back at him. "Tell me the truth. Are you sure there was no sign of outside magic?"

"I can't explain it... There wasn't a sword, and then there was." He searched her soul for any sign of falsehood.

"I see." After a moment, he rose back to his hooves. "Tomorrow, your training resumes."

"Tomorrow?! But school starts tomorrow!"

"You will not be attending. Get some rest. You are going to need it." Diamond Tiara stared wide-eyed at her father for several moments.

"You aren't--"

"Now," he commanded, and she disappeared from his sight. He waited until he could hear the gentle sounds of snoring before entering his study. He crossed the room to a mahogany desk and pulled out a scroll and quill from the top drawer.

"Magic in an Earth Pony... It would be unfortunate if the enemy got to her first." He began to write his letter.

~~~~~~~~~~

Applebloom waited until everypony was asleep before sneaking out her bedroom window and making her way back to the park where she and Diamond Tiara fought that morning. There were several questions that needed answering. Where had the stick come from? And when did she get that mark on her hoof? There was only one other creature she knew of that might have the answers.

The creature from her dream.

"Courage, are ya there?" she asked quietly. Slowly, a mist formed around her. It swirled with magical energy, making every thread of her fur stand on end. Then it coalesced in front of her, forming into stallion. He had forest green fur with a golden blonde mane. On his head, he wore a grass green cap that looked like a long cone. His eyes were a bright blue, and he had a little blue ring in his ear. On his flank, he had the stack of triangles from both her dreams and her hoof earlier that day.

"I am here, Applebloom," said the newly formed pony. He paused for a moment. "Is there something wrong?"

"N-no. Nothing's wrong." Applebloom forced herself to stop gawking. "Ah've just never seen anypony pop outta the mist like that 'cept fer Princess Luna."

"Ah. I suppose the entrance was a bit dramatic," he admitted.

"Yea... Anyways, Ah wanted to ask ya some questions. Is that a'right?" she asked.

"Go ahead. You've already started, after all," Courage replied.

"First things first. If Ah started talkin' to ya in a crowd, would the other ponies see ya? Or would Ah look like Ah was plum crazy?"

"When I take a physical form like this one, everyone can see me," he explained. "However, I usually reside within the mark on your hoof."

"That's another thing. Just what is this mark on mah hoof?"

"That is the symbol of the Triforce."

"What's a Triforce?"

"The Triforce is a set of triangles made of magic gold which represent the three forces that balance all life: Power, Wisdom, and Courage," he explained. He tapped a hoof to his chest. "I am the embodiment of Courage."

"Is that what your cutie mark is? A Triforce?"

"Cutie mark? Oh, you mean the image on my side?" Applebloom nodded. "Yes, that is also the symbol of the Triforce."

"Are ya the boy from mah dream? Ya both got the same mark." Courage's body sagged a little, and his head dipped low.

"I am not. He was... Well, we are not the same. I was giving him my power, so my mark appeared on his hand," Courage explained.

"So when the mark appeared on mah hoof..."

"It is the same mark," he finished. "Much like I gave him my power, now I am giving you my power."

"But he died, didn't he?" The silence that followed her question caused Applebloom to shudder.

"I did everything I could to protect him, and I will do the same for you," he answered carefully.

"Ya mean like the wooden stick when Ah fought Diamond Tiara?" she probed. "Was that you?"

Courage nodded. "Like my piece of the Triforce, that sword belonged to the boy. Now it belongs to you."

"But how did it end up in mah hoof? Ah don't remember ever pickin' it up."

"That may be easier to show, rather than explain. Close your eyes for a moment." Applebloom closed her eyes. "Now, reach over to your side. Imagine touching the sword with your hoof and grabbing it by the hilt."

She moved her hoof to her side, as far back as she could reach without pulling a muscle. She waved around a little bit, as though searching for something that should've been there but wasn't. "Nothing."

"Odd. Are you having trouble imagining it?" asked Courage, puzzled as to why the magic wasn't working.

"Yea. Can Ah ask ya another question?" she asked, opening her eyes.

"Of course."

"What's a hilt?" Courage deadpanned.

"The handle."

"Oh." She closed her eyes again and returned her hoof to her flank. Just as she passed the edge of her chest, she felt a strange sensation, as though she were touching something not completely there. She grabbed hold of the feeling, pulled her hoof away from her body, and opened her eyes. There before her rose a wooden sword, exactly like the one she used against Diamond Tiara. "It worked!"

Courage smiled. "When Diamond Tiara picked up her weapon and charged you, I imagine it reminded you of your battle against Ganon during your dreams. You naturally went for the sword, and it was there waiting from you. To put it back, just imagine putting it back." Applebloom did so, and the sword disappeared. She waved her hoof where the sword used to be and passed right through.

"Wow. So Ah can use it whenever Ah want, wherever Ah want, without havin' to worry 'bout carryin' it around?"

"That's correct." Applebloom sat down and stared at her front hooves.

"Ah wonder if this is how unicorns feel when they use magic. Never have to worry 'bout it, but it's always there with'em..."

"Now that you have this sword, you have a lot of responsibility," Courage warned. "It is a weapon, not a toy, so don't abuse your power."

"Ah know. Ah won't use it unless Ah really need ta," Applebloom promised. Then she yawned a deep, breathy yawn.

"You should go back home and get some sleep," Courage commented.

"Yea. 'Specially 'fore... hhhah... 'fore Applejack wakes up..." She began to walk back to Sweet Apple Acres, but before she left completely she turned around. "Oh, Courage?"

"Hmm?"

"Thanks." Courage watched as Applebloom left the park. After a few moments of solitary silence, he closed his blue eyes and allowed the beginnings of a smile to creep onto his face.

"That child... She's the first person to ever thank me..." he mused as he evaporated into the night's mist.

~~~~~~~~~~

To Whom it may concern,

Respectfully Requesting: Initiate Training for one Diamond Tiara, Earth Pony Filly.
Location: Ponyville.
Reason for Request: Indoctrination

P.S. Everything is ready. Respectfully requesting permission to initiate Operation Overthrow

"...Finally, the last of the pieces are in place." A grin slowly spread across the lead pony's face as a stamp made its way toward the message.

To Whom it may concern,

Respectfully Requesting: Initiate Training for one Diamond Tiara, Earth Pony Filly.
Location: Ponyville.
Reason for Request: IndAPPROVED

P.S. Everything is ready. Respectfully requesting permission to initiate Operation Overthrow

~~~~~~~~~~

Celestia approached her sister. Something about the night seemed strange. Almost like it was lonelier than before, even though seemingly nothing has changed. All the guards were at their posts. Luna was still on the balcony watching the night sky. The ponies in the city below were still up and about as they always were. Why then was the night so different? She flew up to Luna's perch. A troubled look was on her sister's face as she glanced almost nervously from star to star.

"What is wrong, Luna?" she asked of her sister.

"The stars are silent tonight." Luna looked lovingly over each of her constellations as though they were her own children. "It is the first night where they have completely stopped whispering to me," she said sadly.

"Completely silent? Not even one of your thousands of children are speaking?" Celestia asked, surprised.

"Not even one," Luna agreed. She shook her head. "I do not understand the reason behind their decision." Tears began to well in her eyes.

"It's ok, Luna. I'm sure they will be more active tomorrow night. These are your stars, after all," Celestia said, trying to console her nocturnal sibling.

"Yes, you are right. Still, it troubles me that I cannot even hear them chatter amongst themselves. It's as though they are purposefully shutting me out..."

"Luna..." Celestia sat and watched the stars with her sister for the rest of the night.

~~~~~~~~~~

Don't go to school today.

"Wha? Where did that come from, Courage?" Applebloom looked down at her hoof and saw the Triforce glowing. "Why can't Ah go to school?"

I don't know... Something feels wrong about the day. The land isn't as it should be.

"What the hay is that s'posed ta mean? Ah gotta go to school, or Ah'll never get mah cutie mark!" she protested. "'Sides, Applejack would tan mah hide if she found out Ah was skippin' class."

Trust me, Applebloom. There's something--

"Ah'm goin', an' that's that!" Applebloom said, resolved. Courage's mark vanished from her hoof as she walked out of her room and downstairs to the dining table.

"Gee, Applebloom. What's with that scowl?" asked Applejack. "Yer not poutin' 'cause ya gotta go ta school, are ya?"

"No," Applebloom huffed.

"Uh huh. Well, ya gotta go anyways, and ya'll be seein' yer friends there. It ain't gonna be that bad, just you wait an' see. Now hurry up an' eat yer breakfast 'fore it gets cold."

*****

Applebloom ran as fast as she could. How could she have lost track of time just from eating?! It was only the first day of school, and already she was going to be late! Coming from Sweet Apple Acres didn't help any either, being how far it was away. Finally, she saw the schoolhouse.

Applebloom slid to a stop as she looked at the school. First, it was way too quiet. Usually Miss Cheerilee would be out among her students, looking over them as they played before the bell rang. Second, the playground was full of dirt hills surrounding the building. Not mole hills or ant hills, no. These were massive, almost three times as big as herself. She climbed onto one and looked down to find a hole the size of a pony leading into the Earth.

"Oooooohh..." Applebloom's ears shot up at the groan. It was coming from the schoolhouse! She bolted inside to find her teacher collapsed on the floor.

"Miss Cheerilee!" she cried, rushing to her teacher's side. Cheerilee's ears perked, even when the rest of her wouldn't move.

"A-Applebloom, is that you?" she asked weakly. "Thank Celestia one escaped..."

"Yes ma'am. What happened here?" Applebloom asked as she glanced around the room. Desks were thrown everywhere. The chalkboard was scratched to pieces. Windows were broken. It was as if a tornado had come through and wrecked the room.

"The foals..." Cheerilee said quietly. "They took the foals..." Applebloom looked into her teacher's face and found her eyes red and puffy. New tears were forming in them even now. "They took the foals!" Cheerilee wailed, weeping bitterly. Applebloom sat next to her and hugged her neck briefly. Then, with a look of determination in her eyes, Applebloom stepped in front of her teacher's face.

"Who took them, Miss Cheerilee?" The tone in Applebloom's voice shocked Cheerilee to her senses. "Was it the monsters that made all those holes?" Cheerilee looked up at her student. This little filly was standing tall, ready to go against a danger that had claimed over 20 of her peers. Cheerilee could see the fury burning deep inside her, even through the nearly perfect appearance of total emotional control.

"The Diamond Dogs. They were taken by the Diamond Dogs," she replied. Applebloom nodded and ran to the door.

"Ah'm gonna get help! Don't go anywhere, okay Miss Cheerilee?" And in a flash she disappeared from the schoolyard.

Cheerilee sighed sadly. "Oh, Applebloom... Don't do anything stupid, please..." she whispered as her head fell back to the floor.

*****

Applebloom soon found herself at the library pounding on the door. Sweet Apple Acres was too far away to reach quickly, so instead of starting with her sister like she would have liked, she went to Twilight Sparkle. If she would only answer the door!

"Open up! Please open up!" Applebloom yelled. Finally, the door opened.

Spike was standing there, irritated at the impatience of the person outside. "Oh, it's you. Applejack's sister, right?"

"Spike, Ah've gotta talk ta Twilight! It's an emergency! Is she here?" she asked hurriedly.

"Whoa, slow down! Yea, she's here, but-- hey!" Applebloom rushed past him, completely disregarding his protesting.

"Twilight! Twilight, where are you?! TWILIGHT!"

"GAH!!" An explosion emanated from upstairs. "WHAT NOW?!"

"You could've picked a better time to show up, Apple Bloom..." Spike said, shaking his head. Applebloom rushed upstairs, where she found a frazzle-haired lavender unicorn picking up a relatively enormous pile of papers.

"Twilight, ya've gotta help me! Miss Cheerilee's--"

"Apple Bloom, I don't have time to help you with some project," Twilight interrupted angrily. "I'm in the middle of something very important, so if you'll excuse me--"

"They've all been foalnapped!!" Applebloom screamed.

Twilight Sparkle dropped the stack she had so carefully been restoring, rigid at the words which reached her ears. "What did you just say?"

"Everypony at school's been foalnapped by Diamond Dogs, Miss Cheerilee's hurt bad, an' all yer worried 'bout is yer stupid stack o'papers!" Applebloom fled the tree, furious.

"Wait, Apple Bloom!" Twilight called after her, but it was too late for words. Applebloom rushed home, where she knew she would find ponies she could rely on. Applejack should be in the orchard by now, and Big Mac would be tossing hay in the barn.

The barn was closer, so she went to see Big Mac first. She threw the doors open.

Nopony was there.

"Big Mac!" she called. No reply. She called again and waited a few more seconds. Still nothing. No time to wait, either. She rushed to the orchard and checked the log for where Applejack was supposed to be working that day.

No signature. No time to search every section of the large orchard, either.

She rushed back to the house, desperate to find somepony who could help. She ran inside and found Granny Smith sitting in her rocking chair, dead to the world and snoring like a bear. Applebloom knew there was no hope of waking her up in this state. At this point, there wasn't any more time to waste looking for help.

She would have to save them herself.

*****

Cheerilee woke with her head on a pillow and an IV drip in her leg. She looked around and realized she wasn't in the schoolhouse, but rather at the hospital. She smiled, grateful that Applebloom was able to find help. A glass of water and a note was beside her. She picked up the water and took a few sips, then grabbed the note.

Dear Miss Cheerilee,

I went to get help like I said I would. But there wasn't a whole lot of time. I could only look for Twilight and Applejack. Neither of them could help. I didn't see anypony else. I got you this first aid kit from the back of the room and I wrapped up your leg so you would stop bleeding. I hope somepony arrives to take you to the hospital. I can't do it. There's no time. I've got to save my friends.

Applebloom

P.S. I'm sorry I was tardy this morning.

Cheerilee read the note a second time. Then a third.

A tear blotted the paper next to Applebloom's name.