• Published 14th Apr 2013
  • 2,775 Views, 276 Comments

Living Mark of Courage - Moowell



Part 2: Epona has obtained the Element of Honesty, but the other Elements of Harmony are still hidden across the world. With the nations on guard, her greatest trials are still to come.

  • ...
7
 276
 2,775

Escape

The two foes stood still, their eyes never breaking contact despite the ragged breaths that plagued them both. One, a black, disfigured cross between a Diamond Dog and a Minotaur. The other, a grey wolf with a vibrant orange mane which now lay limp against the ground. The pair just stood in silence, unwilling or unable to break the temporary truce, each knowing that the first motion would resume their battle.

"You," huffed the Collector, "...are tougher than I gave you credit for." The black cloud surrounding Collector slowly dissolved away to reveal the battered changeling underneath. His haunches hit the ground with a rough thump, and he collapsed on his side. "When did poniess... get sso powerful...?"

Mirror Child sighed with a small grin before collapsing as well and reverting to a pony.

Before the caretaker could stop her, Epona leapt up from CT1's hold and rushed up to her fallen friend. "Mirrors! Are you ok?"

Mirror Child let out a pained chuckle. "I'd like to say I've been worse... But I'm not exactly sure that's true."

"CT1! Isn't there something you can do to help her? She's really hurt!" Epona pleaded, but CT1 just shook her head. "Why not?! You helped me, didn't you?!"

"I don't have enough power to help her as sshe iss now, and I ussed all my crysstalss when I wass healing you."

"Don't worry about me so much, alright?" Epona looked back down at Mirrors. "I may look broke, and I definitely feel broke. But I'm alive, and I'm nowhere near as bad as you were. I'll be fine with a little sleep."

CT1 closed her eyes and passed a small wave of magic over Mirror Child's body. After a moment, she reopened them. "SShe iss right. Her vitalss are all sstable, and there iss no ssign of internal bleeding." Epona breathed out a heavy sigh of relief and hugged the beaten filly, much to her body's displeasure. A pained groan was all she had strength for to protest, but it was enough to get Epona to tone down her emotions. CT1 snorted. "However, it will take a lot more than 'a little ssleep' to heal you."

Epona gently buried her face in Mirrors' neck. "I'm so sorry..."

"Hey now... Don't go acting like this is your fault."

"But it is my fault! If I hadn't gotten captured-"

"Then I wouldn't have gotten to feel you pour out your heart for me." She smiled weakly before realizing what she said. She groaned and gave herself a hard, mental facehoof. "Ugh, that sounded really sappy... Don't tell Trixie I said that."

Epona giggled.

"It iss true though," said CT1. "The love you're pouring over her right now... If sshe were a changeling, sshe would be completely healed by now."

"Not jusst healed..." came a mirthless voice nearby. "Revitalized."

CT1 was the first to respond, and did so with several quick shots of solidfying goo at the Collector, who now appeared as though he hadn't been fatigued or even touched between his battles with Epona and Mirror Child. With renewed strength, he easily dodged to his right.

"64! Take her and get out of here!" CT1 cried as she rushed forward and attacked the Collector with fury.

"But what about you?! Ah can't just-"

"I ssaid get out! The one you call Trixxie iss waiting for you, but sshe can't ssensse you in here!" She didn't even turn her head to look at the ponies. All her attention was focused on the threat to her convert and her convert's friend. However, except for her the sounds of fighting between her and Collector, the room was silent. "What are you waiting for?! I will hold off Collector until you are ssafe and away from the Hive!" A few moments later, she heard the entrance to the room being destroyed.

The Collector grimaced as he watched them escape, and was rewarded for his inattention with a powerful blow to his chin. He reeled backward on his hindlegs and caught several more strikes in his belly until he made it back down to the ground. A blast of solidifying goo caught his face, blinding him and stopping his breathing momentarily before something smashed the shell to pieces and knocked him to the ground. A pair of hardened hooves bore down on him mercilessly from above before he finally rolled far enough away to charge free from his assailant. He and CT1 exchanged a glance.

There was nothing but a burning hatred for each other in their eyes.

The black cloud returned in full force, transforming him back into the monster from before. "CT1, you are guilty of treasson, aiding a fugitive, obstruction of jussticce, ressissting arresst, and on top of all that, you're pisssing me off. Do you have any lasst wordss before I carry out your death wissh and hunt down the two you freed?"

"Yess."

An explosion from CT1 threw the Collector backward with such force that he slammed against the far wall of the chamber from the concussion of the air alone.

"My firsst misssion as a Gatherer wass to a little village in Equesstria. While there, I met the perfect candidate for harvesting: a pegassuss mare who freely sshared her love with all thingss. It would have been exxtremely difficult to drain her in a ssingle sesssion, sso I chose a form more ssuitable for long term gathering. Back then, I was misschievouss and posssesssive of her love, and I alwayss tried to drive other creaturess away to hoard that love for mysself and the hive, but sshe would jusst ssmile and continue loving everything anywayss. It wass infuriating."

The buildings of Mock Ponyville were rendered little more than splinters and rubble a moment later.

"And then there wass another who came and ssought to hoard her love. Eventually we became alliess, even comradess, but we initially competed directly for her attention. SSometimess desstructively sso. However, that pegassuss mare would ever only sscold uss and remind uss to do better, and she never sstopped loving both of uss. In doing that, sshe taught me many thingss. Resstraint. Patiencce. How to lissten and love like sshe did. But thosse were not the mosst important thingss she taught me."

Cracks and fractures spread like tendrils across the walls of the chamber from the strain of trying to contain the raw, otherwise unrestricted power.

"SStrangely enough, her mosst important lessson wass how to drop everything in the blink of an eye. To casst asside all those thingss and become the most dangerouss of terrorss, one which can be ssummed up in ssixx little wordss."

The room stopped shaking, but Collector found himself still pressed against the wall, unable to move by sheer weight of the power directed at him. He could barely hear the small, nearly silent patter of paws approaching him. It was all he could do to open his eyes and see what it was: a little white rabbit with blackest eyes walking slowly nearer.

"You do Not. Hurt. My. Friendss."