• Published 14th Apr 2013
  • 2,775 Views, 276 Comments

Living Mark of Courage - Moowell



Part 2: Epona has obtained the Element of Honesty, but the other Elements of Harmony are still hidden across the world. With the nations on guard, her greatest trials are still to come.

  • ...
7
 276
 2,775

New Missions

"Greetings, Empress. I have come regarding your search for the assailant who attacked our outpost and stole our Element of Harmony." Empress Moon sat back on her throne and regarded the Diamond Dog ambassador. She wore the traditional fur coat and bejeweled accessories, but there was a confidence in her that put the last mutt who wore the garbs to shame.

"What happened to the previous ambassador?" Empress Moon asked, though she suspected she already knew the answer.

"He was deemed unworthy of the title after his shameful performance before you, which is why I am here in his stead." The Empress nodded.

"I believe I owe him an apology then, for his words proved true. The attack was indeed committed by a pony."

"As ambassadors, we are representatives of the Allied Diamond Dog Colonies. We take utmost care to ensure our nation's interests are upheld, and lying about such serious matters would be counter to that missive. We would prefer to avoid a war against Equestria, if possible."

"As would I against the Colonies."

"Do you know who this pony is? My nation could receive no better relief than to know who it is, and that they have been taken into custody."

The Empress shook her head. "The exact identity of the assailant has not yet been confirmed; however, we have narrowed the list and are currently tracking the whereabouts of everypony on it."

"You don't even have a suspect in custody? That is most unfortunate." The dog lowered her head and closed her eyes. "I told you before that we would prefer to avoid a war with Equestria." She lifted her head and gazed directly into the Empress's eyes. "However, the leaders of our nation have been in uproar about the event. They demand retribution. They want to know that this wrong will be righted, and therefore have made two requests."

"Very well. What are these 'requests'?"

"The Element of Harmony must be returned to us. It is ours by right, and we will not give up that right."

The Empress nodded. "Of course. When we have located it, it will be returned to you with all swiftness. And the other?"

"Give us the pony responsible for the attack. We would see that the attack against the ADDC be punished by the ADDC."

She sighed. "As I have said before, Equestria does not know who exactly committed the act or the exact location of our suspects. We cannot fulfill that request at present."

"You have two months," the ambassador announced, changing her tone from diplomatic to almost accusatory. "If these demands are not met, or should you deny them, then the ADDC will publicize the attack to the world and brand Equestria as a country who breaks its treaties."

"Your government would slander me and my entire empire because of one rogue pony? Forgive my error, but I did not take your nation to be lead by fools!"

"Does that mean you are denying our requests?" An uneasy silence rose as the two stared directly into each other's eyes.

"No," came the Empress's reply after a moment of thought. "However, I do not wish to see another Dog in my presence until the time you have so generously offered has reached its end."

"Very well. I will return in two months." The ambassador bowed, then strode out of the throne room with her head held high.

Empress Moon thought for several moments. "Courier." A brown Unicorn stepped forward from behind the throne.

"Yes, Empress?"

"Have a list of agents within foreign nations in my chambers tomorrow morning. I think a little game is in order." Equestria's ruler chuckled darkly.

"Yes, your majesty. Shall I include the ADDC?"

"Especially the ADDC. Games are meant to be enjoyed by all, and they have been so generous recently." The Empress's body morphed into an ethereal magic and dissolved into the air.

~~~~~~~~~~

Epona and Mirror Child plodded out of the forest, huffing and gasping for breath.

"Ya said... ya knew... the way out," Epona complained.

"I said... I found... the way out," Mirrors replied. "Doesn't... mean... I can't... lose it... okay?"

"Honestly, girls, I don't understand why you two are so whiny. That trip was exhilarating!" The fillies shot Wisp with weary glares, much to his amusement. "The way that Manticore- Ohp, here comes Trixie!" He disappeared back into Epona's mane just as the mare appeared at the door of Sunset Manor. She beckoned the two, so they plodded over.

"What took you so long? I expected you back by lunch, not dinner!"

"We found-"

"I'll tell her, Epona," Mirrors interrupted. "You go eat."

"Are ya sure? Ya did most of the work."

"I had some deer earlier." Epona shuddered a little. She still hadn't quite gotten used to the idea of a pony eating meat, even if that pony was part wolf.

"Well, a'right if you're sure." She went to the kitchen, letting the savory smell of Apple-Carrot Stew be her guide.

Trixie listened until she heard the uncouth slurping which signified Epona's eating habits. Then she turned back toward Mirror Child. "What did you find that's so important you have to tell me personally?"

"We found the Willow." Trixie slowly grinned, however Mirrors' expression soured. "Or rather, she found the Willow. I was completely blind to it until she pointed it out, even though I must have passed it several times while looking for her."

Trixie put a hoof to her chin. "Why was Epona able to see it while you, with all your lupine senses, couldn't detect it?" She walked over to the South window. "Epona, come here for a moment."

The tell-tale slurping paused, and Epona appeared at the kitchen's entrance. "Yes, Miss Trixie?"

"Tell me, where is the Willow of the Everfree from here?" Epona walked over to the window and peered out. Her brow furrowed.

"Ah dunno. It must be pretty far, since Ah can't see it from here."

Trixie nodded. "Thank you, Epona. You may go back to eating." The filly left and resumed her meal. "Mirror Child, how far would you say the tree is from here?"

"About 15 minute's run from here as a wolf, when I'm unhindered."

"And how big would you say it was?"

"Take the manor and stack it a dozen times. About that big in the trunk."

"Not even including the branches?" Mirrors shook her head. "That's... a big tree." Trixie smiled slightly. "A big tree with a powerful illusion surrounding it. Perhaps..."

As Trixie mumbled on, Mirrors thoughts fell back to the clearing. Should I tell her about the effect it had on me? There's something about that place that didn't sit right with me, or Wisp. I should probably mention him too, come to think of it. Him and what he said... How did he know about me? And why did the magic affect both of us?

"You look like you have something on your mind."

"Wha?" Mirrors looked up to see Trixie staring down at her. "Oh, it's nothing..."

"Hmm..." Trixie regarded the student as any teacher would when she knew something was up. However... "Very well. When you're ready to talk about it, let me know. Sooner would be better, if it's going to affect your performance."

Mirrors lifted her head high. "It won't."

"Good, because Empress Moon contacted me earlier." Mirrors lifted an eyebrow. "Pack your things, and be prepared for the worst. I'm about to send you on your toughest assignment yet."

She deadpanned. "That's what you said about finding Epona."

"True, however, there is one major difference between this assignment and the last. Instead of finding the one who stole the Element of Harmony, you are going to become the one who stole it."

A glimmer appeared in Mirrors' eyes, and a small tug curled her lips. Then her ear twitched. "Epona's done." Trixie looked back to see Epona emerging from the kitchen once more with a contented grin.

"Phew, Ah'm stuffed," the yellow filly yawned. "And sleepy. There's nothing like hot stew to knock a pony on her keister. If ya'll don't need anything, Ah'm gonna go to bed."

"Just a moment, Epona," Trixie replied. "Tomorrow, I'm sending you back to the Willow for a week, so you should do some packing tonight."

Epona's ears flattened. "Ya mean Ah have to go back into the forest? It was bad enough getting there the first time!"

"Don't be like that. If it helps, think of this as the second phase of your training," Epona sighed and nodded, then trotted upstairs. A moment later, the click of a door sounded, and Trixie turned her attention back to Mirrors. "After you get Epona to the Willow, take the train to Canterlot. The Empress will be addressing every agent involved in this operation at noon."