• Published 14th Apr 2013
  • 2,778 Views, 276 Comments

Living Mark of Courage - Moowell



Part 2: Epona has obtained the Element of Honesty, but the other Elements of Harmony are still hidden across the world. With the nations on guard, her greatest trials are still to come.

  • ...
7
 276
 2,778

Potential Danger

There was a desk. On this desk, there was a case of quills made from the finest Griffin feathers. Next to this case was a well filled with the ink of the Kraken, defeated by the Zebrica National Navy. A gemstone from the Allied Diamond Dog Colonies acted as a paperweight for the scrolls parchment, and an ever-burning candle, with a flame of dragon fire, lit the entire area. Next to the desk was a chair made of the finest chitin in Equestria, courtesy of the Badlands Hive. And in the chair sat the most prominent mare in all of Equestria.

The Empress herself.

The Dark Alicorn looked down at the parchment and sighed. After a hundred years of alliance with the above mentioned kingdoms, diplomacy was starting to break down. Had she been younger and more rash, she would have gladly welcomed the conflict, but the century of relative peace had softened her. Not that she minded, of course. She actually preferred the lull that peace provided.

But it seemed destined to fail. To the North, the griffins were getting restless. The zebras had begun to patrol the waters to the South and East. Dragons stirred in the west. The beasts of the Everfree were growing stronger and more organized. And here was Equestria, caught in the center of it all. Sometimes she wished she were back on the streets again, tending to the amusement of various townsponies.

"Hey, you can't go in there!" came the muffled voice of a guard through her door.

"This is urgent! I need to speak with the Empress immediately!"

"Again, you can't-- Whoa!" The doors flew open, revealing a dark brown Unicorn. The Empress turned her gaze upon the mare. As the mare walked into the room, the Empress saw a glint fall in the background and crash to the ground.

"There was a time when I would have executed you for entering my chambers." The mare bowed low as was customary when addressing her. "Raise your head, messenger, and tell me what this is all about."

"Forgive me your majesty, but urgent matters require your presence," informed the mare as she rose to her hooves.

"What is so important as to interrupt my evening with your abrupt intrusion? Could this not wait until morning?"

"It's the Dogs, your majesty. They've sent an ambassador and he, uh... 'requests' your immediate presence."

"Tell the bitch to wait until morning." She turned back to the scroll in front of her. "Just use more diplomatic words than those. I don't need another power getting upset at the world."

"He said to tell you if he didn't get his audience with you, he would sh- uh, defecate on your throne."

"That would be an act of war." The Empress sighed. "Tell him I'll be there shortly."

"Yes, your majesty." The courier left.

"I guess I'll have to write my letter later..." she mused irritably. The Empress set down her quill and walked to an armor rack. She drew the silver helmet, breastplate, and hoof guards from the ponnequin. With her work clothes all set, she turned into a mist and flew to the throne room. A dog wearing the finest furs and braces set with diamonds was waiting for her. He did not look particularly pleased.

"Welcome, ambassador," she said ethereally as her body formed at the throne. With meetings like this, the entrance was everything.

"Empress Moon," the ambassador returned with a rasp. He bowed, then approached. "As you know, the Treaty of Nations allows each kingdom to have a limited military presence in every other kingdom to ensure mutual trust."

"Yes, I remember it well. I helped write it," she replied.

"Of course. Your majesty, I have just received some troubling news from my superiors. There has been an attack on our Equestrian outpost. Do you know anything of it?"

"I'm afraid not. I can't imagine who would be bold enough to make such an attack, especially on Equestrian soil. When was this, and do you have any idea who it was?"

"It happened three days ago. The report is still unconfirmed, but according to the sentries who were stationed there, it was a pony." The Empress was stunned. There were strict laws against entering the foreign nations' bases, and the outposts were granted authority to act should anypony approach. Who would be foolish enough to actually follow through with something like this?

"Wait. A pony? Not even multiple ponies? Are you sure?"

"According to the sentries, several ponies had gone in earlier, but were nullified and captured. A single pony followed and rescued the others, then defeated them."

"Did you not have a champion stationed there?" she asked. "Every base is allowed a Champion, in accordance with the Treaty."

"We did, but he was defeated. Our champion was Cerberus." The Empress looked at the ambassador in shock. That was not the answer she had expected. A pony capable of defeating Cerberus had not been seen since the time of the Elements. There were only a few ponies in Equestria skilled enough to discover a hidden base. Fewer still that could take one down, and even fewer that could do it alone. Less than 10 perhaps in all of Equestria. But to defeat Cerberus single-hoofedly?

"At this point, the location of your base is compromised. Will you tell me where this took place? I may be able to narrow down the list of ponies capable of such crimes."

"Certainly, if it will help find the invader. It was located near Ponyville."

"Did you... just say Ponyville?" An intense sudden urge welled inside her. She fought it with everything she could: emotions, reason, the need to keep up appearances in front of the ambassador, but it was too much. Her mouth curled. Her eyes slowly closed. Her chest felt like it was going to explode.

"BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!" Tears streamed down her face as she lost control.

"Empress Moon, I fail to see what is so amusing!" the dog said lividly. "Don't you know what this means? An attack on our outpost is an act of war!"

"The thought itself is utterly ridiculous!" she managed to say as she wiped the tears off her coat. "Ponyville is the most peaceful place in all of Equestria. It's far more likely that you were attacked by a beast from the Everfree Forest than a pony of Ponyville."

"No, our sentry was very clear. He said it was a pony."

"That may be, but not around Ponyville. There are no weapons there. No militia. No possible way of training a pony to do what you claim he or she did outside of my school, and all of my agents are stationed far from the region. The gatekeepers have spears, but only because the beasts of the Everfree have grown restless. They don't have the ability to defeat trained soldiers. It is completely absurd that Ponyville is capable of instigating this attack!" She broke into another fit of giggles.

"This is no laughing matter, Empress! There have been casualties. One of our dogs died in the attack, and the invaders stole the Element of Harmony." She immediately sobered.

"You take your jest too far. Are you implying that the ponies I love and trust are capable of committing such heinous acts?" she asked darkly.

"I was never joking about this. Perhaps you do not know your subjects as well as you think you do."

An almost cruel glare blazed in her bright green eyes. "How dare you, Ambassador. If there is one place in this world that know better than this very castle, it is Ponyville. I personally helped rebuild it after the Dragons destroyed it. I personally attend festivals there. I've personally known most of the families who live there for nearly a hundred years, and some for longer!"

The ambassador took several steps back. Under the harsh gaze of the Empress, his initial pomp withered. "I am sorry, your majesty. I meant no offense."

"You meant every offense!" She raged. "You come here to my castle, saying my most treasured haven of peace has somehow managed to stage an act of aggression unthinkable in Equestria. On top of that, you accuse them of stealing an international treasure from an allied nation! Not even the dregs of Manehattan would dare attack a base protected by the Treaty for fear of my wrath!"

"Perhaps, but-"

"I'm not finished!" she boomed in her ancient voice. "Not only do you sully Ponyville's name, but you have the gall to tell me to my face that I don't know my own ponies?!" The ambassador shrank back again, unable to look her into her enraged visage. Her voice became calm. No, not quite calm, but extremely restrained. "I will lead my own investigation into this matter. If I find nothing that backs your claim, then you have doomed any chance of peace with Equestria. Now get out of my sight! Your very presence is disgusting to me."

Several long moments of silence followed the ambassador's hasty retreat. Out from the darkness, the brown courier stepped toward the throne.

"Empress, if what the dog said is true, and somepony truly has taken the Element of Harmony, then they may go after the others as well," she whispered.

"It's unthinkable," the Dark Alicorn replied, deep in thought. "Completely unthinkable, yet not quite impossible..."

"Should I go and get her?"

"No. I am in no real danger yet." She got up and paced the floor in thought. "Check to see if all agents have consistently checked in for the past month. Also, find out about any merchants who have gone through Ponyville in the past month and newcomers for the past six months."

"Right away, your Majesty!" The courier ran toward the doors.

"And courier?" The Unicorn halted waiting for the next words. "Summon the Dean of Students."