• Published 14th Apr 2013
  • 2,775 Views, 276 Comments

Living Mark of Courage - Moowell



Part 2: Epona has obtained the Element of Honesty, but the other Elements of Harmony are still hidden across the world. With the nations on guard, her greatest trials are still to come.

  • ...
7
 276
 2,775

Apple Investigation

Belmont looked around as he ate dinner with his family. The foals had grown quite a bit since he had last been home. Baldwin was looking more fit than ever, almost ready to pull the custom cart if he needed to. Raritan had grown into a fine mare and had probably already begun making many a heart in Ponyville flutter. But there was something, no, two things wrong with this picture.

Applejack wasn't with them, and everyone was silent.

Belmont cleared his throat. "Ah thank ya'll kind folk for your hospitality, but Ah'm afraid Ah can't stay."

Everypony looked at him in shock. "But ya just got back! Do ya have ta leave so soon?" Baldwin asked.

"Ah'm afraid Ah do. Ya see, Ah'm lookin' for the Apple Family. Maybe ya'll have heard of them? Lively bunch, kind to strangers."

Raritan punched him in the shoulder somewhat playfully, somewhat annoyed. "Ya had us worried there, ya big dolt. Don't be playin' games like that."

"Ya'll still have me worried," he replied. "Ma's not eatin' with us, and ya'll are quieter than a mouse in an owl's parliament. The old mare ain't gone and kicked the bucket, has she?"

This time Raritan really punched him. "Ah said don't be playin' games. Ma's real upset. Some filly came by an' got Ma convinced with all 'er soul that she was 'er long dead sis, then she jes' up an' left sayin' she weren't. Broke the old mare's heart."

"A filly? Was she bright yellow with a red mane? Had a little accent to her?"

"That's the devil. Did ya'll meet 'er on the road?"

"Ah didn't meet a monster like that, but Ah did meet a filly that was weepin' an' cryin' like her puppy died." Belmont looked toward his saddlebags. "Sad part is she was comin' from this direction. There was a story in her eyes that Ah'm sure ya'll can help clear up for me, but ya'll reminded me Ah've got somethin' to do first. Excuse me."

He got up from the table and grabbed his saddlebags, then went to Applejack's room and knocked on the door. He waited a few moments in silence before knocking again. "Ma, it's Belmont. Ah'm comin' in."

As he slowly opened the door, he heard silent sobs creep from inside. Applejack was curled up on top of her bed's blanket facing the window with her head on the pillow. Her eyes held a steady trickle of water streaming down her face, but they never closed to stop the flow. She refused to take her gaze off of a small square object in her hooves.

"Ah don't want any company," she stated without turning her head.

Belmont closed the door then looked at the familiar picture. The last time he had seen it, it was on the mantle in the living room. "Ah met her on the road, an' Ah must say, she looks a lot like the one in the middle of that picture."

"Same eyes, coat, mane, accent... She hugs like 'er. Not even yer closest friends can hug like family, but that filly... Ah cain't believe she led me on like that..."

He sat down and held her silently as she wept. For many long minutes, the only sounds that could be heard were the gentle creak of the bed as he rocked back and forth and the old mare's quiet gasps. After a little while, her gasping stopped, replaced by the soft and occasional sniffle. The stream from her eyes slowly dried away, leaving thin stains across her face.

"Feelin' better?"

"No, I'm not," Applejack rasped quietly. "But I will get over it. There's too much work to do in the present to dwell on the past."

"Speaking of presents," Belmont reached over to his saddlebag and pulled it close. A moment later, he pulled out the small necklace with the apple-shaped gem in the middle. "That filly asked me to give ya this. Said she forgot to give it to ya while she was here."

"Would you hoof me my glasses so I can take a better look?" He took the glasses off of the nightstand and gave them to Applejack. When she put them on, she stared with wide eyes at the object in his hooves. "Well I'll be..."

"Pretty little thing, ain't it?"

Applejack slowly took the necklace from him. As she took it, it became warm in her hooves. As she held it, she felt a familiar magic coursing through her like it had a century ago. As she touched the gem in the center, a tingle in her very soul cast every shadow of doubt about its true nature away.

"Had Ah known ya'll were this into jewelry, Ah'dve bought ya a necklace decades ago," Belmont mused, seeing Applejack's stunned expression.

She snorted. "Don't give me those horseapples. You know I'm not interested in some fancy shinies." The stallion just raised his eyebrows at her. "This isn't just any piece of jewelry, Belmont. You remember the stories I told about the Last Day?"

He nodded. Then comprehension struck. "Wait, are ya'll sayin' that necklace is..."

"That's right, but there's something even more important than that. I lost something else that day, something far more precious to me than an old necklace."

Belmont looked down at the picture. "Your sister."

"Belmont, what if Raritan's right? What if Epona really is Apple Bloom's ghost?"

"Ah dunno... The filly Ah met seemed pretty real to me."

"Apple Bloom is dead, but Epona had some of her memories. What if Raritan's right, and she really is my sister's ghost? What if the reason she doesn't remember everything is because she's been lost for so long?"

"That's a bit far fetched, don't ya think?"

"She pulled your cart, fully loaded with the entire dwarf grove's apples. She'd have to be at least as strong as you to do that! Or, if she's a ghost, she used her power to help her with the load. Spirits can move real objects, you know."

"Ma, this is crazy talk. Earth Ponies don't suddenly become Unicorns after they die."

Applejack huffed, but Belmont could see a determination in her eyes that told him this wasn't over. "Belmont, I want you to find Epona. And if you can't find her, find out everything you can about her. Who she really is, where she's from, who her folks are, where she currently lives, everything. I need to know if she's genuine or not."

"Is that a job offer?"

"It's a favor request." Belmont sighed, but nodded. "Good. You can start tomorrow at the school. That's where I first met her."

*****

"Epona? Not very much, to be honest. She was a quiet filly. Never gave me any trouble during class. The other foals seemed to shun her during recess though. That always saddened me. I would look out the window and see her at the edge of the school grounds under that tree over there, lying down all by her lonesome. There was one student who she seemed to get along with named Ivory. They lived together with Ivory's sisters, Obsidian and Canvas. A little while ago, Epona, Ivory, Juniper, and Twinkle Hooves went galavanting into the ruins on the edge of town. They all came home safely, but I shudder to think what might have happened to them. You know, cave-ins, getting lost, etc.. As for where she is now, I couldn't say. I believe she moved away, probably with Ivory."

"They moved away?"

"I assume so, since they haven't been coming to school."

"Ah see. Thank ya kindly, Miss Jubilee."

"Always a pleasure talking with you, Belmont." Jubilee gave him a wink, and he smiled back. "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"No, that's it."

"You might ask the foals about her. To be perfectly honest, they probably know more than I do."

*****

Everypony looked at each other and in unison answered, "Monster."

"Monster? That's the one word ya'll would use?"

"Epona was scary strong, and she had a quick temper too."

"Yea, especially when it came to Ivory."

"Deku learned the hard way when she first got here."

"Aww, shut up. I could've taken her! She just-- caught me by surprise, that's all."

"Riiiiiight. She didn't catch the Dogs by surprise, but she still beat them like punching bags. I watched her do it!"

"Yea yea, Juniper, we all know the story already. You've only told it 10 times."

"Ah haven't heard this story. Ya'll say she fought a gang o' Dogs?"

*****

"Ah'm lookin' for a group o' ponies that may have used the train a couple weeks ago. Names are Canvas, Obsidian, Ivory, an' Epona."

"Alright, gimme a sec. Ah, here they are. Obsidian, Canvas, Ivory. Nice family. Used to stop by and chat with the conductors. When they left, they had a look in their eyes like something terrible was going on, so I let them board free of charge."

"Did ya record where they were goin'?"

"Are you implying I don't do my job? Of course I did! They got tickets to Hoofington."

"Hoofington... Ain't that a seaside town?"

"Biggest port this side the ocean."

"Thank ya kindly, Ticketmaster."

"One more thing, Mister Belmont. I don't know if this will help, but they tried to leave twice. The first time, somepony stopped them. Light blue mare with a silver mane. Unicorn, if memory serves. Crescent moon and wand for a cutie mark."

*****

"Evenin', Miss Harvest."

"Evenin', Mister Belmont. Shop's about to close, but I'll make an exception for you."

"No no, that's a'right. Ah just wanted to know if ya've seen any newcomers around the market."

"Sure, a few. Anypony in particular?"

"Yea, a little yellow filly with a red mane. Has an accent a bit like mine."

"Sorry, but I can't say I've seen any new yellow fillies with red manes. Not here, at least."

"What about a light blue mare with a silver mane?"

"Now there's somethin' I can help you with. A grey filly wearing a strange mask came in one mornin', picked up a bundle of carrots, then left with a mare like that. I thought they were kinda suspicious, so I had Street Ear tail them. They live up in a Mansion on the northern edge of town."

"Harvest, ya'll are a blessin'."

*****

"Hold on, let me find the house in the registry... Here it is: Sunset Manor, and the residents match your description. The mare's name is Trixie Lulamoon, and the filly is Mirror Child. They moved here as part of a student exchange program with some fancy school in Canterlot. I wonder who the lucky foal that got to switch places is?"

"Thank ya very much. One more pony, an' Ah'll get out o' your mane. Her name's Epona."

"Epona. Epona. Epona... I'm sorry, but I don't have the mare you're looking for."

"What do ya mean?"

"My records have everypony that has been within the town walls for the past 60 years, whether they were born here or moved in, residents or visitors, pony or otherwise, and that name isn't on my list. There are no Eponas in Ponyville."

"Ah meant no offense."

"I take my job very seriously, Mister Belmont. Will that be all?"

"Ah'm sorry, just one more. A family o' three. Names are Obsidian, Canvas, an' Ivory. Ah need their address."

"One moment please... 17 Cherry Tree Lane."

"Thank ya kindly, ma'am. Have a nice day."

*****

"Fifteen... Sixteen... Land sakes. Ah can see why Ticketmaster said somethin' was wrong."

"I'm sorry sir, but this is a crime scene. I have to ask you to stay back."

"What happened here?"

"We're not sure about the exact details, but it appears to have been a magic attack. Nothing was spared."

"Was anypony inside when it happened?"

"We found some blood on a few of the planks, but no remains. Whoever was here either survived or was moved."

*****

"Hey, it's Belmont! Good afternoon!"

"Good afternoon, Chief."

"What do you need today?"

"Ah'm doin' a little research into a home that was destroyed. 17 Cherry Tree Lane. Mind if Ah take a look at the case file?"

"Go ahead, but there isn't much in it. I'd say visit the site yourself, but they've already begun clean up. Sorry about that."

"Ah've already been there, sir. Just show me the files."

"Follow me."

*****

"Two weeks in a row! You flatter me, Mister Belmont."

"Hello again, Miss Jubilee. How are ya doin'?"

"It's been a long morning, but you know how foals can be. What about you? How is your investigation going?"

"Ah've learned a little bit. Got a couple more questions for ya, if ya have the time."

"It's recess, so go ahead."

"What do you know about a filly named 'Mirror Child'?"

"Well, she came from Canterlot as part of an exchange program. It was a little a strange though. We didn't send anypony to Canterlot, so why would she come here?"

"Please, continue."

"My apologies. Anyways, she was very confident and very bright. I think the other students were a little intimidated by her, but nopony showed it. She had a sort of witty charm about her that made her easy to like, yet also frustrating at the same time. She and Deku would often butt heads during class. The colt sees himself as the ruler of this little kingdom, and she didn't buy into it for a second. At some point, she took an interest in Epona. I would often catch her staring at the filly during recess or stealing glances during class. If I didn't know any better, I'd say she was studying her."

"Do ya know any better?"

"Hah. I'm not sure to be honest. She may have been, but it's more likely that she had a crush. Foals don't really know what to do with themselves at that age, and young love is hardly uncommon."

"Ain't that the truth. Well, Ah must be goin'. Thank ya kindly for your help, Miss Jubilee."

"As I said, it's always a pleasure."

*****

"Yes?"

"Good morning, ma'am. I'm lookin' for a Miss Trixie Lulamoon?"

"Speaking."

"Mah name is Belmont. Ah understand that a filly named Mirror Child lives with you. If ya don't mind, Ah'd like to ask a few questions. Is that a'right?"

"I'm sorry, but she no longer lives here. She returned to Canterlot two weeks ago."

"Perhaps you could help me, then. Ah'm looking for a filly named Epona. Do ya know anythin' about her?"

"...Come inside."

"Thank ya kindly."

"Such an interesting accent you have. A sort of blend between townspony and countryside."

"Ah'm just a simple Apple, ma'am."

"Would you like some tea, Mister Belmont? I already have a pot on the stove."

"That's mighty kind of you, ma'am."

"Just a moment, then. ...Are you a detective?"

"Closer to a private investigator. Mmm, that smells good."

"Why are you searching for Epona? Has she done something wrong?"

"I'm searchin' because mah client asked me to."

"Your client?"

"Confidential."

"Of course. What would you like to know?"

"If ya know where she is, that'd be most helpful."

"I'm sorry, but I don't. She came over one time with Mirror Child, but I haven't seen her since. You see, her home was utterly destroyed. Mirror Child found the building as a large pile of rubble just the day after she brought Epona over. I can only hope the filly wasn't there when it happened."

"Ah don't believe ya have to worry about that, ma'am."

"That's good to hear."

"Tell me, how much do ya know about her?"

"Not very much outside what Mirror Child has told me."

"And that would be...?"

"That she was a loner. She was brutally protective of one of her classmates, and that alienated her from the others. I would often see her crying by herself underneath a tree at the edge of the playground when I picked Mirror Child up from school. Also, she has the appetite and manners of a full grown Griffin."

"Ah see... This is some excellent tea, Miss Trixie."

"Thank you. It's a brew made from herbs only found in Canterlot Gardens. Would you like some more?"

"No, but thank ya. Ah've still got a job to do."

"As you wish. Good luck with your search."

"Oh, before Ah go, there's somethin' else. Ah'd like to get in touch with the family Epona lived with. Do ya know where Ah can find them?"

"I don't. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help."

"It's a'right, Miss Trixie. Thank ya kindly for the tea."

*****

"A red-maned yellow filly with an accent? That's incredibly vague, even for you, Belmont. I'll need a little more info--"

"Hold on, Sarge. I met a filly like that once. She was by herself outside the walls, just over that hill."

"Did you just interrupt me, Private?"

"Er- Sorry, Sarge!"

"And now I'm a sorry Sergeant, is that it? You got a problem with me, colt?!"

"N-no, Sarge!"

"That's 'No Sergeant!' By the moon, you are so far outta line it makes me sick! Get your flank back to the barracks! We're gonna have a heart-to-heart, you and I!"

"...Was that really necessary?"

"Every time, Belmont. The young blood doesn't always understand respect for the chain, even when their fresh out of boot."

"Well, could ya bring him back? Ah'd like to hear his story."

*****

Belmont walked up the hill where the guards had fallen into the hole. There was nothing special about it, except that there was a burned down house not too far away. There were also several rather large mounds of dirt.

He heard a faint rustle coming from one of the mounds. He peered toward it and noticed the dirt shifting. Suddenly a claw shot out of it and grabbed onto the solid ground. Dogs?! Another claw came up and grabbed the ground just next to the first. Belmont ran behind the claws and waited, ready to strike if he needed to. A filthy head poked out.

"Ah'm not gonna get caught, Wissp. They won't exxpect me to be out here, and poniess never come here becausse the Everfree'ss sso closse," the grime-covered beast said as it pulled itself out of the hole. Except for the claws, the creature before him was strangely similar to a pony. And that voice...

"...Epona?"

Suddenly the clawed beast whirled. A blinding flash of green light followed by a powerful blow to the head, and the world went dark.