• Published 2nd Feb 2013
  • 3,609 Views, 291 Comments

Memories of a Phoenix - firefeng



Most scoff at the past, stuffing it rudely behind them as they shove through and press their gaze forward towards the future. Some never can, no matter how powerful they may be. And, no matter who they are, the past always catches up. Always.

Comments ( 38 )

Poor Nix. Dude just can't catch a break.

4728180 Don't worry, I'm sure when he makes it back to Tartarus there's at least one perfectly bipedal succubus in it, and...

Oh. Oh, right.

No, Nix really can't catch a break.

Vinyl you dirty lil strumpet.

4728366 I went out of my way to subvert common fandom tropes for a few background ponies.

Vinyl isn't one of them.

4728581 I just wish the chapter was little bigger. I say your average is about 5,000 words so this was a little on the short side or at least it read like it was short.

4728595 It's definitely shorter than average, but if you look at all my chapters, there are quite a few in the ~3k range. I don't look at word-count when I decide a chapter reached its natural end.

Mostly, I posted this one now because it differs, thematically, from what I have planned for the rest of this little bit. This was some slice o' life funnery that just so happens to be relevant for character development—well, except for the bit with Derpy, which is straight up fluff—but the next chunk of words and the tone the story takes just didn't mesh well with the chapter you just read.

If it's any consolation, I finished this chapter a few hours ago, and I'm already 1k words into the next one. Trust me, you won't have to wait months for another update. I still feel bad about doing that to you guys, uh, numerous times. :pinkiesad2:

I can tell you that the next chapter opens with a conversation in purgatory between Nix and a white tiger. :pinkiehappy:

4729012 Glad I can bring a smile or two to your day, considering the next few are decidedly less smile-inducing.

Don't worry, I won't make you cry until the end.

What took Twilight so long to get the ingredient?

4729024 Motherfucker, do you even mythology?!

Here, have an unedited excerpt from the next chapter:

A gigantic white tiger with blue stripes sat in front of the glowing door, its fierce yellow eyes regarding him lazily. Its head had a few tufts of feathers behind both ears, and a pair of large wings sat folded on its side, the primary feathers’ pristine white fading into the same blue as the tiger’s stripes at their tips.

4729686 As per the show, there are several ingredients that go into the cure for poison joke. I'm assuming that she'd also need to make a visit to Zecora, and book the spa.

And also avoid everypony because of the crushing embarrassment she suffers for writing what is tantamount to clopfics. Not that Nix would ever let her live that down, anyway.

4730973 I touch upon it a little bit with the next chapter, but this isn't the last time Nix becomes ponefied, because reasons. Also, if I've taken the time to actually name a pony, there's a good bet they'll be a recurring character. (A la Trixie, Bon Bon, Lyra, etc.) I didn't write them in for just fan-service.

Now, do you really want me to be distracted writing side stories, knowing how abysmal my update rate on this story is already? :rainbowwild:

The only possible side stories I have in mind are still for Glancing Shock and Moon Glade, and that's only if I can't fit their personal histories into the main narrative neatly.

4730786 Meh, Twilight should not be worried about the princesses (which I personally think was the reason she was embarrassed about the most), they would be very professional and mature about said subject...

“Sister!” Luna cried. “This latest one from thy faithful student features tentacle monsters! Tentacle monste-” Her voice cut off, a mollified expression on her face as she noticed Stone Wall staring at her, one eyebrow raised.

“Lieutenant Stone Wall,” Princess Celestia said levelly, regaining the soldier’s attention, “your report here has been immensely informative. I thank you again for your enduring service to Equestria.”

Stone Wall knelt and bowed his head deeply. “The honor is, as always, all mine, my Princess,” he replied gravely, slowly raising to his feet and turning to go. He paused halfway to the grand double doors of the throne room, and turned his head back. “Tentacle monsters, my Princess?”

“Oh, yes, Lieutenant,” Celestia said with frigid sobriety. “Terrible creatures. My student sent me a report that mentioned they prefer to make their homes in dark, moist crevasses.” She levitated the tea cup to her lips and gazed over its edge at him neutrally.

Stone Wall grunted and held himself straighter. “Then have no worries, Princess. I shall make doubly sure that our stallions take extra care near such treacherous canyons.”

“Wise words for any time, and for any stallion, Lietenant Stone Wall.” She lowered her cup and nodded slowly towards him. “Dismissed.”

Luna and Celestia shared a glance as the doors shut behind him, making sure to wait a few moments so that the departing Lietenant could not hear their peals of laughter.

Yep! She need not to worries about the princesses...
And Nix seems too distracted to properly do anything...

The next thing he knew, Nix had a heavy, cream-colored hoof flying towards his face.

I guess?
Kekekekek...

4732596 Twilight shouldn't be worried, but when it comes to the Princesses, or at least Celestia, she does tend to make a mountain out of a molehill.

And thanks for quoting that bit of text. Apparently I was so drunk when I wrote that chapter that I misused the word "mollified" twice.

4794836 Glad to see you like the flashbacks, since I've seen a few stories where taking the narrative out of Equestria just really annoys the crap outta me. And it's "life", singular. The white tiger wasn't lying, Nix really is incapable of death.

This isn't the full chapter, either, and only the flashback is history. Since the start of the story, anything that happens in the past or is considered a flashback has always been in italics. Still have quite a bit to add at the end involving Lyra.

As for the story ending badly, I've had that Tragedy tag on it since the very beginning, and it has nothing to do with the name "Suzaku". Suzaku exists alongside Byakko, Genbu, and Seiryu. Or you could just go by what Sammael rewrote them as: War, Death, Famine, and Pestilence. A character having different names is a recurring theme in this story. I get to that a little later on...

I can say that the trilogy of stories as a whole has a nice, though bittersweet, conclusion.

Aaaaand that's enough spoilers for now. Time to get to writing Pinkie Pie talking about her weekend at her Uncle Bernie Pie's place.

4888990 Just wait until you see what happens during the Night Court arc, which is the next one I'm writing after the current one. You got a ways to go yet, though.

4889132 Nix only has a dozen, including Muramasa and Excalibur. Hardly as impressive as Fate/Stay Night's Gilgamesh and his armory.

4889452 I found this comment today while reading your story. That's freaky.

5348428 i was not seeing that as a mistake or something (your story is awesome), you just have to reread this little snippet with something else in mind :raritywink:

5348428 so . . . think you'll be continuing this story at all?

5703040 Absolutely.

For the past year or two, my brain has been in a state of no bueno, but I never stop thinking about this story, and I don't think I could handle not finishing it. I'm really, really sorry about how slowly it's being updated, but I will finish it.

5703482 it's all good. it hasn't been that long in hiatus unlike some other stories that I've read. :twilightsmile: it might be a good thing to put an update in a blog every once in a while or something maybe.

uh... i ran out of story, when will there be more?

5703482 stayin alive man? :derpytongue2:

I finally found this story again and there hasn't been a new chapter in around two years, I see. There is a promise to finish it in the comments and I've waited longer for lesser things before...

Expectations of this continuing lowered, hope of it continuing risen. Let's do this.

I'm guessing this story isnt going to be updated any tme soon...
It's sad. I loved this story.

Best story I've read on this site bro, hope you find the motivation to continue it. Keep up the good work!

It's 1.35 in the morning, and I need more. Pretty please? With chocolate frosting and cherries on top? From what I saw, this here chapter is sitting here for over 3 years. Any chance for update?

9217329
It's actually something I plan to address in Nix's flashbacks, when I can finally get back to writing on this story. Said king was important to him on his journeys.
9218953
In part. Vash the Stampede, though...

9538361
You replied to that one already I've been rereading and commenting more on this story which is why it's only showed up recently.

9462911
I loved vash but I like Dante more and I'm not biased because of my copy of dmc 5 I beat the day after it came out.

9538362
Okay, Fimfic derped out and set it as a notification, making me think I hadn't responded to it before. My bad.

“So, if you’re actually that illiterate retard trapped in stallion’s body…a sexy, cut body rippling with muscle...” she mused with a small shudder before leaning forward, nearly pressing her snout against his. “Would you like,” she stated, enunciating every word clearly and slowly, “to go to my house...and stick your stallion parts…into my filly hoohoodilly?”

DAMMIT LEANNE STOP POSSESSING PEOPLE.


You've got another shoot for crack whore monthly: biggest sluts edition

Yo how's it all going?

Im loving the story i wonder if it will ever be continued

Is this story gonna be updated?

Login or register to comment