• Published 31st Dec 2012
  • 8,224 Views, 102 Comments

"I Promise, Scootaloo. I Promise" - TheFineBrony



Rainbow Dash's foalhood is unknown to us. She never talks about it, the only mare who knows anything about Rainbow Dash's mysterious past is Fluttershy. One day she receives a letter from her parents that gets her thinking of her foalhood.

  • ...
9
 102
 8,224

Epilogue

“Scootaloo, Scoot, Scoot, Scootaloo-”

No reply met the cyan mare as she continued to search for the purple maned pegasus. There was no way in the world she was going to be beaten by a filly. With each hoof step she passed tree after tree, bush after bush, looking. The mare's eyes took in all light, searching for the right shade of orange or purple. It would be easy to spot the reflection of purple from Celestia's sun that shone high above, but Rainbow Dash remained vigilant.

“I will have you know, I am the champion of Hide N’ Seek, you're done, squirt. You may as well just give up now.”

The trees and bushes were in full bloom, making finding the filly harder, but nonetheless Rainbow Dash was going to win. She vowed to leave no stone unturned, or tree unsearched, in her hunt for the elusive filly. Dash knew Scootaloo had to be close, she just felt it, almost like she could smell the filly's fear.

Scootaloo heard her mentor walking closer, her hoof steps getting nearer as each second passed. The small pegasus' mind was clear, focused on one goal, beating the unbeatable. With each passing moment she lowered her breathing, intern lowering her heart rate. Every sound around her was crystal clear over the noise coming from within. Sweat began to drip down the orange filly's face while she pulled herself closer in a ball, trying to make her whole body smaller. Each muscle closed, tightening to its shortest length, and yet the sound of Rainbow Dash's hoof steps continued to get louder.

The cyan pegasus stopped mid-trot while she scanned her vicinity. The park was busy, ponies were out playing and enjoying the summer sun, but the mare easily tuned those noises out and focused at the task at hoof.

Scootaloo's heartbeat soared upon Rainbow Dash stopping, her mentor was only feet away from the bush in which she hid. The filly could hear her heart thumping in her ears, as she lay silent, curled in a ball. There was a small stream of light passing through a tiny hole in the bush. The small pegasus could just barely see out into the world beyond the shrub. A rainbow tail was the only thing in her sight, this intern only caused the filly more stress, Dash was close, too close.

Rainbow Dash's ears stood up on end, taking in all the sounds around her. The birds singing in the distance, the soft sound of a stream nearby, and a slight whisper from the wind, nothing out of the ordinary. She couldn't be wrong, Scootaloo had to be nearby.

“Scootaloo, I know you're there. Come out, come out wherever you are.” The mare waited a couple moments, hoping for a response or even some movement, nothing came back.


Her mentor’s words startled the small filly. How does she know I am close, is she some kinda super pony? That I don't know about. Scootaloo gazed intently out of the small hole, hoping the rainbow tail would move away. Her heart rate fell as she was sure Rainbow Dash would never find her.

The young pegasus heard a buzzing noise around her, a fly for sure. It landed on the filly's back and started to slowly walk up. The urges to swat the bug were overwhelming, but she couldn't move. Ew, ew, ew, Mr. Bug, please leave. Please, oh Celestia, leave! Facial muscles tightened as she tried to cope with the gross feeling overcoming her body.

After a couple of moments the fly stopped moving up her back and flew away. Her body relaxed as the horrible creature left, leaving her with a feeling of confidence. The small pegasus let out a large sigh of relief, immediately realizing her mistake, she covered her mouth with a forehoof and curled even tighter than before into a ball. Horseapples, horseapples, horseapples. Why, why Celestia did I do that? Beads of sweat began to reappear on the filly's face as she looked desperately out the small hole, to where her mentor stood.

To her surprise, the mare began to walk off in another direction, Scootaloo, still on edge, did not relax for a moment as Dash left her sight. For a couple of moments everything was quite. All the filly could hear were birds singing in the trees and the sound of her own heartbeat. Got this in the bag. The orange pegasus relaxed letting her tail down, and allowing her breathing to resume its normal pace.

“Gotcha!”

A pair of cyan hooves rocketed through the bush, grabbing the filly off guard. All Scootaloo could do was scream, her body being pulled right from her perfect hiding spot. A surprised filly was met with a more than happy Rainbow Dash. The mare held the orange pegasus up, almost like a prize, her Hide N' Seek title remained intact.

“Do you remember the consequences of losing, Squirt?”

Still a little shocked that Dash had plucked her from the bush. “No, Rainbow Dash. Please no!”

The Rainbow maned mare laid the filly on the ground right before her, stomach up. Their eyes met simultaneously, Rainbow Dash looked down at the young Scootaloo. She bent down and blew a raspberry right into Scootaloo's stomach, causing the filly to laugh uncontrollably.

“No! Ahahahahhahaha. Rainbow Dash, stop!”

“A deal is a deal, kiddo.”

Rainbow Dash continued her tickle torture of the filly, rubbing each one of her arm pits and causing Scootaloo to cry from so much laughter. The smile on the young pegasus' face grew wider and wider as each second passed.

“Rainbow Dash. Hahaahahahahaha. Please, stop, hahahahahaha.”

“Who is the coolest and most awesome Hide N' Seeker in all of Equestria? I want to hear you say it.”

Rainbow Dash continued her onslaught of tickling. Scootaloo tried her best to avoid her mentor's fierce attacks, but she was no match for the strong mare. Every time the young pegasus would try to roll over, there was a set of cyan hooves that put her right back on her back.

“You are. Haahahahahhahaha.”

“What? I didn't quite hear that.”

The cyan picked up her tickle attack, increasing the intensity. Scootaloo tried her best to escape, but to no avail. Her sides began to ache from all the laughing.

“Ahahahahhahahhahaha. You are! Ahahahahahhahaha.”

“That's what I thought, don't you forget it, Squirt.”

The mare picked up the orange pegasus and placed her gently on her hooves. Scootaloo still smiling and giggling, could barely stand from what she had just endured. Rainbow Dash rubbed Scootaloo's mane, messing it up in the process.

“Hey, let’s get going, It’s getting close to lunchtime and I am starving! Hide N' Seek took longer than I expected.”

“Ah, come on. Another game? Please, Rainbow Dash.”

The young filly put on her best begging face, her eyes widened while she sat on the ground, staring back up at Dash. Her bottom lip began to quiver, giving her best effort. Rainbow scoffed at the gesture and grabbed the filly and threw Scootaloo on top her cyan back. This was the filly's favorite part of the day when hanging out with Rainbow Dash. What pony wouldn't want to fly with the best flier in all of Equestria?

The wind whipping through her mane, at speeds unimaginable to other pegasi, made her dream of the day, when she could fly like Rainbow Dash. The time where she could fly freely, side by side with her idol. Every time she had the privilege to fly with Rainbow, she took it day or night, sick or healthy, homework or no homework, any flight was better than nothing. Her mother and father offered Scootaloo flights here and there, but those weren't special. They always flew slowly and safely, nothing fun. She wanted excitement, thrills, and action. Something different.

Before Scootaloo even had time to think, Rainbow took off. The immediate acceleration almost threw her off, her tiny hooves wrapped desperately around her mentor's clean cyan coat. The orange pegasus could barely see anything through the rainbow mane whipping in her face, but what did she care. The feeling of closeness between the two felt amazing to the filly, just the presence of the mare made her day that much more special. She longed for a day when the two could fly all day, and talk all night. The orange pegasus even already had plans, although not old enough for the weather team, she had already picked up an application in anticipation.

Less than a minute later, Rainbow Dash landed in the park, Scootaloo still strapped tightly to her back. The pair was back in the main part of the park. Other ponies were out and about enjoying the day, flying kites, sunbathing, playing, talking, and walking. Ice cream vendors were all around selling their cool delicious treats, on this hot, beautiful summer day. Older sisters were playing with younger siblings, as well as brothers playing with theirs. Scoots didn't have an older or younger sibling, she was an only foal, just like Rainbow Dash. She wanted to be the mare's sister so bad, nothing would stand her in way or prevent her from that. Name the task, place, and time, the purple maned pegasus would do it.

To Scootaloo's displeasure, she jumped off her mentor's backside, back onto the boring old ground. The place she was doomed to until she learned to fly home by herself. Dash looked down, and could see the slight sadness on her sister’s face. A grin spread on her face while she lowered her wing back to the ground.

“Want to go again?”

“Yes!”

In a matter of seconds the small filly had jumped excitedly back on her mother’s slash sister’s back. Neither mare nor filly had really worked that out yet, whether Rainbow Dash was Scootaloo’s sister or mother. The adoption papers had come back almost a year ago now, and according to the Royal Canterlot Adoption Agency, Rainbow Dash was the legal guardian of a Scootaloo Dash. Apparently the last name had come along with the adoption, although not her actual name, she was now a part of the Dash family blood line.

Neither one of them really cared about the arrangement between them. To Scootaloo, the cyan mare was a friend, mother, sister, idol, and caretaker. To Rainbow Dash, the filly was a daughter, sister, friend, and family. That was not going to affect their relationship in the slightest, all that mattered was that they were happy.

Learning from past mistakes, the orange pegasus quickly grabbed a hold of her mentor's mane and hung on tight. Each hoof wrapped tightly around Dash's cyan coat. Rainbow Dash smiled, she was about to give the filly a show of a lifetime.

Before Scootaloo could even comprehend what was going on, her mane was tearing through the sky. Every muscle in her legs locked, desperately trying to hold onto the supersonic pegasus. All the sounds of the park below were quickly washed away and replaced with whistling wind. The filly could hardly see anything through her mentor's vibrant rainbow mane, flashing before her face in the epic wind.

“You holding on tight back there?”

“Yeah, Rainbow Dash, wh-” Her voice was cut off from all the air in her lungs being forced out. Dash's wings changed directions in milliseconds, unbelievable to any pony on the ground. Her cyan wings propelled her muscular frame higher into the sky, while increasing speed. The orange pegasus' small hooves dug into Rainbow's coat, tighter than before, clenching her strong muscles. As the mare soared higher and higher, Scootaloo was able to catch a glimpse of the world below.

Ponies and trees looked like grains of rice growing smaller and smaller each second. All the sounds of ponies playing and enjoying the day had disappeared, and were replaced the whipping wind. The ground got farther away by the second as her mentor continued to rocket higher. Eventually peaking off, Rainbow Dash slowed down to a steady hoover, the filly still wrapped tightly around her.

Dash scanned the skies, as if she was looking for something. With each turn of her head, light filled her eyes, making the magenta in them glow. Realizing the mare had stopped, Scootaloo slowly, as not to be tricked, released her death grip around her mentor's body. The sight that met her below was nothing like anything the filly had ever seen before.

Celestia's sun illuminated all the land. Ponds sparkled, roofs of Ponyville shone, the grass below reflected a bright joyful green. The filly's eyes could not look away from the breathtaking sight before her, as they were filled with colors. Miles upon miles of Equestrian countryside could be easily seen from their cloud top perch. Forests, homes, grass, dirt, trees, parks, rivers, lakes, streams, and almost anything imaginable could be seen. Rainbow Dash looked over to see the filly's eyes widen, taking in the sight below.

“Wow!” Was all she could come up with.

“Yeah, I never take ponies up here. It's my own little place in the world. You're the first pony to see it, Squirt.”

“Really?” Scootaloo's eyes were drawn off the sight below and onto her cyan mentor.

“You betcha, Squirt.” Rainbow Dash pulled the filly close to her on the cloud. Draping her wing over the orange pegasus' small frame, while at the same time rubbing her purple mane.

“Well then what are these?” The young pony pointed to an abnormality on the cloud. To her the figure almost looked like hoof writing, like somepony had drawn it. The figures resembled the outlines of hearts, with words inside them.

“What, where?” Rainbow Dash panicked, trying to find the cloud to which Scootaloo pointed.

Her orange head twisted to the side, trying to make out the worn characters on the cloud. The cyan pegasus scrambled up trying to find the mark on the cloud.

“It says... RD + -” Before finishing the line, a set of cyan hooves brushed the heart away into the air. A nervous smile and laugh came from the mare as she sat back down and wrapped her wing around the Scootaloo once again. A sigh of relief came from the pegasus's mouth as the crisis had been averted. All the filly could do was smile, she knew what it meant.

“Rainbow Dash has a-” A hoof was quickly thrust into her mouth, stopping Scootaloo from completing her sentence. Dash looked down on the small pegasus with a glare.

“You, don't want to finish that sentence.” A mumble came from Scoots’ mouth as she tried to speak with a cyan hoof in her mouth. “Trust me.” Slowly, she brought her limb away, pulling out of the young pegasus's mouth. Scootaloo took a moment to recoup herself, while both sat in silence watching the Equestrian countryside before them.

“Special somepony!”

Immediately Rainbow Dash jumped on the filly turning her over on her back, on the cloud. A serious, yet playful expression was drawn upon her.

“I told you, kiddo. Don't say I didn't warn you.”

Her cyan hooves dug into the filly's side like earlier, causing Scootaloo to laugh uncontrollably. Tears of joy once again began to show up on the filly's face, as her mentor tickled her more intense this time than the last. With each second the laughing got worse and worse, steadily increasing. Determination was set on the mare's face, her eyes centered on the task before her. She needed to tickle away all of Scootaloo's rebelliousness.

The orange filly squirmed, trying to protect her sides while the onslaught continued. Hoof stroke after hoof stroke came down with increasing frequency. After the tickle attack from earlier the orange pegasus was tired, it was too much tickling for one day.

The sun reached full height, midday. Right over the cloud upon which they played. Its sunlight streamed down atop the playing ponies, shading the purple maned pegasus in a slight cyan color. Rainbow's mane was illuminated as well, making it sparkle. In that moment, time seemed to slow down. The perfect day, it was the utter definition of a perfect day.

Over a year ago, she was alone in the world, nopony to love her and be there through the nightmares. Her parents had abandoned Scootaloo, without a note or even a hint of a reason. There was no hope, no real joy, no memory making she could do. Everything had been gray, boring, and dull. It was a year ago to the day, that a rainbow came into her life, obliterating the darkness. Today was the one year anniversary of the official signing of her adoption papers. The best day of her life to date.

A mental snapshot was taken, while time seemed still. The image of her mentor standing over her on the cloud laughing with her was burned into her head. Never would she forget this day.

“What are you gonna tell other ponies?” Rainbow Dash questioned, continuing her tickle attack upon the helpless filly below. Tears of laughter and joy swept over Scootaloo as she struggled to get air into her lungs in between the rapid succession of laughs.

“Nothing... I swear!” She tried to fight the hooves running up and down her sides, but she was no match for the strong cyan mare.

“Good, nopony knows yet. You can't just go around telling anypony. That better be a Pinkie Promise.” She looked quizzically down at the young pegasus that laid beneath her strong muscular frame.

“I stick a cupcake in my eye?”

“Close enough, Squirt.” Rainbow Dash laid back down again, against the still upright facing Scootaloo. After two tickle attacks from not only the coolest pony in Equestria, but arguably the best tickler, she was tired. With her strength regenerating, she spun herself around, leaning against one of Rainbow's strong wings.

Both mare and filly laid in silence, looking at the sight before them. Nothing had changed from earlier, the sight was still just as breathtaking. They sat there, nopony speaking just enjoying each other's company on the warm day, until somepony decided to speak up.

“Um, Rainbow Dash.. Can we talk? You know, about stuff...”

Dash was taken back for a second, her one weakness, words. Give her a impossible flying routine, and she could make it look easy. Give her any record to beat, and in no time at all a new record would be set. But, give her a speech, and things never turned out as planned. These types of situations were the hardest, not knowing what to say. Like Rainbow Dash was a mother, a piece of paper may have said so, but that didn’t mean she had any experience.

From the very night she signed Scootaloo's adoption papers, she feared a situation like this. A time where each word would have to be carefully chosen, where one misplaced sentence or thought could ruin a relationship. She could talk with her friends, and express herself, but she didn't have all the answers, did anypony? In moments like these, she wanted to fly, open her wings and soar. Thus proving she was like her father, if there was anything she had learned from the mistakes of her father, and his ghosts from the past: it was that everypony just has to face their fear head on, and in the end the only real thing you fear, is fear itself.

Rainbow Dash took a deep breath, preparing for what was before her. Although slightly panicked, she breathed calmly.

“Yeah, Squirt. Shoot.” The cyan mare relaxed, ready.

Each word the filly spoke filled the mare's mind, each and every question was carefully thought over, before giving a response. Dash had never known the filly to have so many questions, ranging from random trivia to everyday life problems. Questions of life, about her foalhood, about her parents, her relationships, and her friends. Anything and everything on her mind found its way out. For every remark Scootaloo made, there was always a quick and well thought response.

“One last question.”

“Yeah, go ahead.”

Scootaloo looked around for a moment, unsure, tense. Her tiny orange hooves scratched at the cloud, her eyes looking down. Rainbow Dash stared, puzzled, the filly looked ashamed, almost scared to ask.

“Well... um... I was wondering... if you really do-”

Before she even had to answer, the cyan mare stood up and hugged the filly. Adult and child, wrapped in a warm hug atop a cloud far, far above the ground below. Bathed in the waning sun. Time had gone by, the day had slipped through their hooves, thus proving that nothing passed time like having fun.

“Scoots, I would never have adopted you if I don’t.”

The pair, wrapped lovingly together, mother-daughter. Unknown to Rainbow Dash, the filly smiled inside their embrace, wanting it to never end. The pony which she admired since foalhood, right in front of her, encompassed in a hug. Best day ever.

To both of their dissatisfactions, they ended the hug. The cyan mare rubbed Scootaloo’s mane, messing it up like her own.

“Come on, kiddo. Let’s get home.”

Scootaloo knew the drill, Rainbow Dash lowered herself to the filly’s level. Where she quickly hopped on. Grab on tight, like you’re about to be thrown off a bucking bronco, and hope for the best, which was always the case. Her tiny hooves wrapped gently around the mare’s cyan neck, and before she could even think they were off.

Some ponies may think it to be annoying, for the mane of the pony they were flying with to be thrown into her face. Where as, Scootaloo loved it, all the colors of the rainbow being displayed so closely and vividly. More than the colors, she loved the pony who wore them, just the thought of that pony with the rainbow mane, was enough to make the Scootaloo’s heart soar.

The sun, started its descent past the visible horizon, coating the pair in a deep rich orange and red. Rainbow Dash rocketed through the air, giving the orange pegasus a real show, not enough to throw her off, but enough to bring the largest smile in all of Equestria to her adopted daughter.

In a matter of minutes, the pair had arrived. Carefully landing on the cloud, the cyan pegasus walked to her front porch, gently sliding the door open, not bothering to even tell the filly on her back that she had landed. Scootaloo continued to hold on, she didn’t know if Rainbow Dash had landed, or was playing a trick on her.

In only a matter of seconds, she walked safely into her cloud home, filly still happily attached to her back. Upon turning her head, Rainbow Dash could see Scootaloo clinging onto her neck, with her mane spread over her orange head. The whole time she wore the largest and brightest smiles Dash had ever seen. The smile was contagious, quickly a similar one dawned her face as well.

“Hey, Squirt,” the mare chuckled, “we’re home, you silly filly.”

“Oh, huh, sorry. I thought you were trying to play a trick on me like last time.”

Scootaloo let go of her grip on the cyan pegasus, and jumped to the awaiting cloud floor. Home, sweet home, she thought to herself. For months they had lived together side by side, day by day, and nothing could be better for the filly. The fact that she could see Rainbow Dash every day, almost all day long was amazing. The best flier of all time, living with you along side of you. And even better than that, she technically being your mother. Life was great, seemingly only get better.

The orange pegasus landed softly, barely making a sound on the floor. Dash had turned, something else in the room caught her eye. Scootaloo didn’t even turn to look, she was tired, dirty, and ready for bed. The tag and the relentless tickling had taken its toll.

Dash’s gaze never faded, only intensified, looking intently at her coffee table, barely noticing Scootaloo walk away. A small picture frame sat atop the small blue table, along with some other miscellaneous items. But, that photo was something special, a thing she would never forget.

A bright smiling Rainbow Dash, her mother, and father all together. Taken only a couple of days after the reconciliation with her parents. Dash’s mother sat in a wheelchair, looking old and frail, but smiling, having the best time of her life. Her father as well was in tears. It was a happy yet sad time. Rainbow’s mother was getting better from after the days that followed her visit, enough so that she could even go in a wheelchair around hospital grounds. Everything looked on the up and up, Scootaloo’s adoption was going through, her mother was getting better, and the relationship with her father was improving.

But, it was bittersweet day, the doctors diagnosed her with terminal cancer. Her seemingly recovery was unexplained, and even the highest medical professors in Canterlot couldn’t explain it. Rainbow Dash’s father had chalked it up to her being a super pony, which could not be scientifically proven, but she wanted to believe it anyway.

Even after hearing the news, her mother never once shed a single tear. Only did she embrace her daughter and husband in a large hug, and smile. To this day, the mare never understood how her mother could have done this, such strength and integrity. Sure, she wanted to live, but that was not going to affect the way she was living at the moment. Every day after that, her mother was only bright and cheery, never once gloomy.

Every time she visited, her mother was waiting with a big smile, and open hooves. And once she saw her daughter, the smile she had never faded, even in her last couple of weeks and days, as the onset of the disease got worse and worse. With each visit, Rainbow Dash could see her mother withering away, losing her colorful mane, bright skin, and up to the day she died, the magenta in her eyes. It was heart aching to watch, but with every visit came the same result: a warm smile and big hug.

The last day was very vivid to Rainbow Dash, almost as if it was yesterday. She had walked in and was greeted like usual. Her mother laid almost completely immobile in bed, hooked up to all kinds of machines and computers. The color in the old mare’s eyes was starting to dull, the first day of which Dash noticed. Though in pain, her mother still managed to speak, though pausing in between sentences to catch her breath. That day, the two sat alone, many times in utter silence, watching the sun outside, and listening to the events around them.

They joked about stories from the past, Dash's father and everyday life. Rainbow Dash filled her in on Scootaloo’s progress in flight training, her mother taking in all the words, concentrating on each one, smiling all the while. But, for the most part they just sat together, mother and daughter, bonded. That was the last day with her mother, and it had been one of the best, if not the very best.

That picture got her thinking, it had been one year to the day that her mother had died. Although not knowing her in foalhood, many tears were shed, by both her and Dash’s father. The funeral had been small, Rainbow Dash, her friends, Scootaloo, and her father. A small service, just like her mother would have wanted. Rainbow and her father both gave long speeches for the mare who they once knew. Her father, at times, was barely able to get the words out of his mouth over the liquid forming in his eyes.

Right before the casket had been laid to rest in the cemetery, her will was read. Rainbow’s father had chosen to read it, along with the letter he held a small closed envelope with something bulging from inside. Her mother really didn’t have that much in the world, Dash’s father and mother shared everything. Once her father finished speaking, he walked off the podium and down to Rainbow Dash, handing her the envelope. Carefully she remembered opening the envelope, revealing something Dash would forget.

A small little box, with the outline of a lightning bolt inside of it. The seal her mother had used, carefully sat at the bottom of the paper. Ever since that day, that envelope was more than just a piece of paper, it was the last surviving part of her mother in Equestria, it was special.

The cyan mare shook her head, bringing herself to the present, away from the past. She looked to side, seeing the backside of Scootaloo walking toward her room. This was her future, the past is gone, nothing could be done about it.

Without even saying a word, Rainbow Dash followed Scootaloo into her room, the sun now set, casted a new moon glow throughout the home. Creating a special sparkle in the cloud floor. All of the filly’s worldly possessions were in this tiny room she called hers. It was her own little piece of the world, something to call her own.

“Ready for bed, Squirt?”

The filly nodded in response, trotting over to a dresser in the corner of the room. On top sat a set of maroon silk pajamas, neatly folded. The cyan pegasus picked them up and unraveled them, the moonlight streaming through the window glistening off the unique fabric. Scootaloo sat there, hooves raised, while Rainbow Dash slipped the top over Scoots’ small orange head. The silk sliding smoothly over the filly’s soft, unblemished skin. Finally her head popped through the hole in the shirt, revealing a smiling pegasus.

All Rainbow Dash could do was smile, the attitude which Scootaloo had was contagious. Although Dash was teaching the filly about life, and raising her, the small pegasus had taught her one of the most important lessons. Love always, unconditionally, and never give up. That little orange filly, was wise beyond her years.

The mare shot a small smile back, this was her future, and she was sure of it. All the doubt which she had about the adoption was gone. No longer was the fear of being a good mother slash sister and worry, that was not the issue, all she had to worry about was giving Scootaloo a good home. And she sure as heck got one. The filly had always wanted to live with Rainbow Dash ever since she could speak the mare’s name. And getting that opportunity was a dream come true, but little did Dash know, her dreams would become fulfilled as well.

Love, the adult pegasus finally had somepony to share it with. No longer would she have to sit alone in her large cloud home, nopony there. Now, there was always a little filly following her around, loving her wholeheartedly. She had friends to love, but that was different, this was a special kind of love, something not even Cadence could explain, true unfiltered love. Dash had a mission, a new goal in life to accomplish alongside her Wonderbolt dream. Raising Scootaloo to the best of her abilities, giving her the best opportunities, and the most of her abilities. Bring her up to be the best pegasus in all of Equestria, that was her new goal.

Rainbow Dash rubbed Scootaloo’s head, causing her mane to drape over her face. Both laughed in unison while Dash picked up Scoots. Carefully, she walked over to the small bed, and peeled back the top blanket, laying the filly gently in the middle of the bed. The cyan pegasus pulled up the rainbow blanket up to the filly’s chin, tucking her in. Dash leaned forward giving Scootaloo a kiss on the forehead, the orange pegasus loved this feeling more than anything in the world. Slowly retracting her head, Rainbow began to back away toward the door. Trotting away, unaware of the eyes focused on the back of her head, Rainbow carefully began to close the door, before hearing a small squeak come from the room.

“Aren’t you gonna read me a bedtime story? Like you normally do?”

Crap, that’s right. How could I forget?

Reopening the door, Dash entered the room once again, and headed toward the freshly tucked in filly. Scootaloo looked so eager, her face brimming with excitement, this wasn’t just any story, it was a Rainbow Dash story, 20 percent cooler than any other story. The moonlight filled her eyes like water in a pool.

Dash hopped up onto the bed lying right next to Scootaloo, her hoof around her, snuggling close. She could feel the orange pegasus’ every breath while they laid peacefully.

“Okay, Squirt, I got a good one for you tonight.”

The filly turned her head to the mare, giving her a quizzical look.

“Don’t you need a book?”

“Books, who needs those? This one's too good to be put down on paper, Squirt.”

Rainbow Dash pulled the filly close, as the pair stared to the cloud ceiling, hanging over them.

“Once upon a time there was a filly. A little pegasus, who couldn’t fly, she always would get down on herself for not being able to fly. Ponies would laugh and call her chicken, not knowing the kind of pain they were causing her. When she was younger, her parents had to leave to go on a magical adventure, one too dangerous to bring their child with them.” Scootaloo nuzzled herself deeper into the bed, the warm and comfort inviting.

“It hurt them so much, but it was for the better of the filly. They cried everyday, one day hoping to see her once again, and be with their daughter. So the filly had to live in a special home, a place where other foals her age had to go for safety, while their parents were away saving Equestria. No average pony could ever dream of living in that home, it was only for the best and strongest colts and fillies. Although alone, the small pegasus remained strong, making some great friends. Friends which explored all day, laughing all the way. Everypony immediately loved the small pegasus, her style, spunk, and attitude contagious.” The orange filly’s eyelids seemed to get heavier and heavier, while Rainbow continued.

“Although still small, she was able to befriend six adult mares, one of which loved the filly exceptionally. Everyday that mare dreamed of having that pony with her, longing for her company. But, that mare had some troubles, her parents had never really taught her what it meant to be an adult, and she struggled a little bit. Love was able to overcome all her doubts, everything would be okay, because that mare loved the filly more than anything in the world.” Scootaloo was losing her battle with sleep, as her mind strained to pay attention, her eyes sealed shut.

“And one day, she asked for permission to have that pony live with her, for the rest of her life. The responsibilities that mare would incur were large, but her determination being too strong. And shortly there after, the adult pegasus got the permission to live with the young pony. It was the best day of her life, she even framed the paperwork. One day the pair went out and played all day, talking, laughing, and enjoying each others company. It was the best day in the mare’s life, the most fun she had in years. Sadly, when it was time to go bed, the adult pegasus tucked the filly in, just like tonight, and every night she would share a bedtime story with her.” The filly gave one last yawn, giving into her body, the comfort of the blanket proved being too much.

“And that night’s story was the best of all time. When she finished the story, the young pegasus was sleeping peacefully. So she kissed the filly on the head, told her that she loved her, and would forever. And then she herself went to bed.”

Rainbow Dash looked down, finally noticing the sleeping filly. Her breathing slow and calm, a sign she was out. Dash pulled the covers up a little bit tighter, making a good seal on the filly, making sure she was warm. The mare couldn’t help but smile again, she loved Scootaloo, she really did, with everything in her heart. Leaning forward again she kissed the filly on the forehead. Leaving a small mark on her forehead.

“I love you, forever and always.”

Dash carefully slid out of the bed, making sure not to disturb the sleeping pegasus. Once again, she made her way over to the door, pausing to look back at the orange filly, before leaving, and heading toward her own room.

Scootaloo fidgeted in her sleep while she started to dream. The day’s events playing in her mind, repeating themselves again and again. The special story Dash had given her, being recited over and over. Life was good, no, better than good, awesome. The filly shifted to the side, flipping herself on the bed as she let out a sign. Before she fell off into deep sleep, she murmured something that melted Rainbow's heart. Five simple words, placed so elegantly, as to change Dash forever. Something she had never expected from the start of this journey, it was affirmation that she had done the right thing.

“I love you too, mom.”

Author's Note:

Well... what to do now... I have no idea :). Thank you all for putting up with me, I really hope you all enjoyed the story. I am happy to be done with this, but at the same time, really sad. When I first started the story I intended to leave it at 5,000 words, but now its over 30,000! I would never have imagined this, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Also the story has over 1,000 views, I was happy with 500, but you all took it way past my expectations, and I thank you all for that, I really can't thank you enough. All the constructive criticism I got, and the support was fantastic. Big thanks to my editor TheShadow, for helping me out, I wouldn't have been able to do this without you. I have no clue whats next for me, but I hope to posting more stories soon. So I guess that is all fokes, I don't know what to say. So lets do this, The End.

Thank You

TheFineBrony

Comments ( 40 )

BAM, a wild epilogue appeared!
I'll take this chance to also thank all our readers. I hope I could make his story somewhat readable. Haha joking :rainbowwild: FineBrony here improved a lot since the first chapter. So until then, enjoy the last chapter.

i cried. i hate crying. but celesta be damned if this story wasn't heart wrenching. this is why dash/scoot is best sis group.

2641702

Thanks. I love this pairing as well, I am glad you liked it.

2641968
no thanks needed my friend. i just speak the truth. keep up the good work.

2642138

I second this comment.

my heart is full of feelz, and i love it!

:fluttercry:

Excuse me...I have something in my eye. I think it my heart. This fic is just too dang sweet

Ah! My eyes, there something in them and I can't get it out.:fluttercry: I think there might be something wrong with my heart as well.:twilightblush: Oh man this was a very touching story. One that I will never forget. Awesome work.:rainbowdetermined2:

Ooooowww!!! Ouch!!! Gosh darn it!!! Right in the feels!! Ooooh! That stings with a burning passion.
Men... many tears have been shed tonight. Manly tears.

Scoots/Dash are best sisters.
And Dash is best pony.

2649611

I am sorry if I caused you any unneeded pain. :trollestia: :twilightblush:

I hope you enjoyed the story.

2649809
I thinkest this is a story worthy of Asgard. Thou writest with eloquence not witnessed before or since the intergalactic war.

2703759

Haha. Hope you liked it! :trollestia:

2705300

Haha, told you this ending would be better, Squirt. and you didn't want to believe it. :trollestia:

Thanks so much for this fanfic, you made me cry so much :raritydespair:

Bugger me that's a good story :twilightoops: love reading stories about RD's parents and that was a ripper, well done :derpytongue2:

2849298 vary good story... NO! Awesome story
my rating on this story is(:pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:5 Out Of 5 Happy Pinkies)

3036229

I'm so sorry. Didn't mean to. :trollestia:

First FanFic i ever read. And let me tell you, this made me cry so hard. I never cry... So this is like 500/500 story! This story was so amazing. No joke. I LOVE this story! Never thought i would cry though.

3092737

Thanks! I hope I gave you a good impression of fanfiction.

Not gonna cry..not gonna cry...not gonna- BUCK! :raritycry:

All joking aside, only a select few stories make me this emotional.

3110073
Sorry for the tears, but glad you liked it.

Seriously this fanfict is the most awesome i read up to date and i thing it will be the better since a long time.

3125550

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the watch as well.

Based on your stories avatar and whatnot i will assume you think Rainbow Dash is best pone?

3233947

Yeah, I love rd. But I do love all the other ponies just in a different way.

3266099

I see you haven't finished it yet. I think you'll like it.

Apart from Dashie's mom dying, this epilogue is just too cute! :heart:

Very well done. Dash's turnaround was a bit abrupt, I wouldn't have expected her to actually be affectionate towards her father. But you hit the essential truth right on the head: sometimes you have to either forgive the unforgivable, or carry it around with you the rest of your life. And the fact is that if Dash hadn't gone to see her mother, she'd have spent the rest of her life wondering what they'd have said to each other. I was glad to see her do right by herself.

3418105

Thanks, glad you liked it. If you see my other stories you will quickly see this is my longest story by a longshot, I now tend to stay toward one shots over long chapter stories. Looking back now, I don't know how I did it, but I'm glad that I did. You got excatly what I was going for in the meaning of the story, thanks for taking the time to read it, and comment, I appreciate it.

You... You... You just melted my heart!

4117043
Thanks, I hope your heart still works though.

4271974
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. I thought the same way, there is no way she could just forgive him so quickly. There isn't a sequel in the works right now.

It shows a lot of father-daughter relationship which was so good it melted my heart. You are really good!!!:raritydespair:I can't stand it:raritycry:YOU:raritycry:ARE:raritycry:THE:raritycry:BEST:raritycry:

:raritycry:

Right in the feels, great fanfic, really, just... wow, not sure what else to say.

Login or register to comment