• Published 31st Dec 2012
  • 8,223 Views, 102 Comments

"I Promise, Scootaloo. I Promise" - TheFineBrony



Rainbow Dash's foalhood is unknown to us. She never talks about it, the only mare who knows anything about Rainbow Dash's mysterious past is Fluttershy. One day she receives a letter from her parents that gets her thinking of her foalhood.

  • ...
9
 102
 8,223

Ghosts From the Past

Dash’s heart skipped a beat. The stallion that spent the entirety of her foalhood trying to avoid her, was now approaching her. The pain that pegasus had inflicted on her was immense, and that very same pegasus was right in front of her.

“Go back to the elevator,” Rainbow Dash muttered quietly, looking on toward her friend and Scootaloo.

“But, Rainbow Dash-”

“No, go to the elevator, please,” Dash interrupted, her voice showing signs of stress and fatigue. Dash looked directly at Scootaloo and motioned with her eyes to leave, she caught one last glimpse from Scootaloo’s face. She was obviously depressed that she would not get the chance to meet Mr. and Mrs. Dash, but Rainbow didn’t care. The longer Scootaloo stayed away from them, the better. Dash also caught one last glimpse of Fluttershy who began to walk away, not wanting Rainbow to get mad at her, she complied, mission accomplished. The yellow mare gave a look that said good luck.

The stallion kept coming right toward Rainbow. She looked down and sighed as she watched her friends exit around the corner. No going back now, Dash.

The stallion reached Rainbow Dash and tried to embrace her in a hug. However, she swiftly placed a hoof on his chest, stopping all forward movement. A look of disappointment shone on his face, as his only daughter refused his gesture.

He was an older stallion now, but he still looked relatively young. Her parents had her when they were quite young. Only a couple of wrinkles were visible on his face, his feathers and coat were dirty, but still had a bright glow. Her father quickly picked himself up from her rejection and looked on his daughter.

“I am so glad you made it. I knew you were going to show up, so did you mother. I knew it.” The older stallion looked at his daughter, trying to read her emotions. Dash just stood there looking at the stallion before her, thinking all the while.

“You can thank Fluttershy later. Let’s just get this over with, okay?” Rainbow pushed past her father and started for room 316. The stallion stood there again, his daughter had denied him twice.

“I knew this wasn’t going to be pretty,” he muttered as he began to trot toward his daughter again. Rainbow Dash had stopped in her hoof steps and turned around to her father. The day he had left her was on her mind. He had never bothered to do anything that day, all he did was say goodbye. Anger coursed through her veins as she turned and faced her father.

“Pretty? You thought this was going to be pretty? You left me! Your only daughter, you left and barely made a goodbye.” She pointed directly at her father, and raised her voice. “You expected this to be pretty? That I would just forget what you have done to me? You’re getting old, old man.”

“Dashie, dear...”

“Don’t you ever! Ever! Call me Dashie! Do you understand? My friends call me Dashie, as well as ponies I respect, neither of which are you.” Her voice raised.

“I was dumb, okay? That was when I was younger, I realize my mistakes, I really do! I was heartless and didn’t really care. Happy?”

“Happy? You’re a long way off, old man. You left me, alone, with nopony else.” Her hoof slowly lowered toward the floor as she continued on. The stallion stood there in silence, in shock of his daughter’s words.

“How many times do I need to say, that I am sorry? I will do it,” the stallion replied quickly, watching his daughter trot off. She abruptly turned around once again.

“You don’t have enough time in this lifetime, or even the next. I had to worst foalhood imaginable. I would never wish that upon anypony, not even my worst enemy. Where were you when I needed somepony the most, huh?”

“Dashi-...”

“Don’t say it! You were in Los Pegasus, that’s where. Living your own life, living your own dreams, being yourself. Did you ever once think of me? Or were you having to much fun?”

Her father moved forward, closer to Dash. He knew it was going to be bad, but not this bad.

“I did, every day.”

“Horse manure,” Dash remarked with anger. She looked directly into her father’s magenta eyes. He had lost the glow in his eyes that she first saw when she turned the corner. Her father sighed, looking back up toward his daughter.

“I pushed it out of my mind though. I am sorry Dashi-” The cyan mare cringed at her father’s words. Immediately realizing his mistake, he corrected himself. ”I mean Rainbow Dash, I was an idiot, I realise that. I shouldn’t have left, if anything blame me, not your mother!” he snapped back. “She loved you! The first year when we were in Los Pegasus she cried almost every night. I made her into what she was. She cried for hours on the train ride, she begged me to turn around and go back home. Hate me all you want! Yell at me all you want! I don’t care! I deserve everything. But don’t you dare for one second put this on your mother!” His voice too was now raised as he stared back directly into Dash’s eyes.

“She still went with it, she could have left. You’re forgetting she had a choice! A choice! And she chose to stay with you, and leave me. It may be your fault, but she is not without fault,” Rainbow Dash yelled, putting her face right in front of her father. A couple of moments went by, both mare and stallion not breaking eye contact for a moment.

“How am I supposed to fix this?” He finally broke the silence in the hallway. A couple of nurses were down the hall, staring at the pair and their screaming match.

“You could have fixed this a long time ago! But you didn’t, you ran from your responsibilities like a scaredy pony.” Dash moved her face closer, leaving inches between father and daughter.

“Please, just give me a chance. Please. I can make up for this.” Her father pulled back, changing his whole demeanor. His aggressive stance had been replaced with a laid back one. His voice lowered and his breathing slowed.

“That’s it. I’m out!” Dash pushed her father aside and began to head down to the corner. Her father stood there, mouth agast.

“Rainbow, wait! Please!” He turned and began to follow his daughter who quickly began to pick up her pace.

“I am done. I don’t know why Fluttershy even bothered bringing me,” Rainbow Dash yelled turning the corner heading for the elevator. Her father following close behind her. A soft hoof landed on her backside, stopping all movement forward. Her temper flared, how dare he lay a hoof on me! She spun and threw his hoof off her back with a great force. “I don’t want to see you. Hear from you. Talk to you. I don’t even want to hear your name mentioned. Do you understand that?”

Her father was shocked. He watched in stunned silence as Dash began running off toward the elevator. Tears began to form under her bouncing rainbow mane.

“Dashie,” her father whispered under his breath, holding his hoof that touched his daughter. He fell to his hindquarters on the ground, his mouth once again open. He buried his hooves into his face. He had failed, his one chance to make everything better, had gone down in failure.

“Rainbow Dash, where are you going?” Fluttershy questioned, watching her friend sprint by her. Scootaloo stood shocked at her mentor running away. Rainbow Dash quickly turned into the elevator not wanting anypony to see her like this. She began mashing the ‘close now’ button labeled on the panel inside the elevator.

“Rainbow Dash?” Fluttershy’s voice came from outside the elevator doors. “Where are y-” Her words were cut off by the closing doors.

***

“Rainbow Dash!” Fluttershy screamed, punching the button, which was more similar to a light tap, to call the elevator back up. It was to no use, the elevator just kept going down. Fluttershy looked down the hall toward Dash’s father. Patients looked out of their rooms, stirred up from the screaming match. Fluttershy could only smile as she walked by all their rooms. Each pony was looking out into the hall trying to figure out what was going on. Eventually Fluttershy made her way down the hall toward Rainbow’s dad, who still sat on the floor, hooves buried into his face. Scootaloo slowly followed behind, also smiling from all the attention.

“What happened?” Fluttershy asked, laying a hoof on the stallion.

“I screwed up! That’s what happened. I really screwed up, didn’t I?” The stallion sat there as tears began streaming down his hooves.

“Well, I don’t know that. But as you may or may not know. Rainbow Dash can kind of be, um... touchy?” Scootaloo finally arrived, and stood next to the mare. The living breathing father of the coolest pegasus in all of Equestria was sitting right in front of her. Oh, the questions that I have! The swelling questions inside of her wanted to burst out of her mouth, until she couldn’t help herself anymore.

“What was Rainbow Dash like as a filly? I bet she was as awesome as she is now,” blurted the filly.

“Um, Scootaloo. If you don’t mind I would like to talk to him about some adult business.” She looked on with a little shock from the filly’s outburst. That wasn’t like Scootaloo.

“No, no it’s fine. She can be here if she wants to, are you Rainbow’s filly?” The stallion lifted his head from his hooves and looked at the filly. They had the same mane, similar attitudes, and same spunk. Fluttershy was taken aback by Dash’s father’s complete lack of knowledge. A moment of silence ensued.

“No-” Fluttershy tried to speak but was cut off.

“I wish! She would be the best mother in all of Equestria! She would teach me how to fly, pick me up from school, and hang out. That would be amazing.” Scootaloo bounced, excited that somepony would even think that about her. She tried so hard to be like Rainbow, and now she knew it was working.

“I am sure she would be. I just hope she will find a better stallion than I am.” His head dropped back down toward the floor, obviously depressed. Still sitting on the floor, he began to speak.

“I know I messed up, I realize that now. I guess you don’t know what you’re missing, until it’s gone. If I could take back the past, I would do so in a heartbeat.” He paused for a second and cleared his throat. “I had something great, something amazing, and I never truly wanted it. Until now, and that option is gone.” A tear rolled off his cheek and started to roll down his neck.

Anypony could see the love in his eyes, the regret, the sorrow, and the pain. Fluttershy was the most affected. She had to fix this, she just had to. The mare didn’t have a clue how she was going to do it, but it was going to be done. Fluttershy patted the stallion on the back trying to comfort him.

“So what did you do to her?” Scootaloo blurted out, wanting to hear it from the source. Fluttershy was absolutely shocked this time around. Her mouth stood aghast.

“Scootaloo! You-” Fluttershy began, but was yet again interrupted.

“It’s alright. That’s a valid question, and I need to start giving answers,” Dash’s father assured, clearing his throat. “I never really expected to be father, it was always in the back of my head. I never really cared. When my wife became pregnant, I was shocked. Oh, her mother was jumping up and down, really excited. Her mother had been on birth control and everything, I never expected it to happen. When Rainbow was born her mother was so happy, she cradled Rainbow Dash for hours. I had seen her being born, but shortly there after I went out to the bar.” The stallion looked to be in pain as he spoke, choosing his words carefully. Scootaloo listened intently hearing every word and submitting it to her memory.

“I was there for hours, getting wasted. I couldn’t handle it. The fact that I had brought a living breathing creature into this world. Even worse to me at the time was the fact that she would call me...” He paused again for a moment almost choking on his words. ”Daddy. That was the lowest time in my life, I couldn’t see anyway out. I had nowhere to go and hide, this was my filly.”

Water starting to swell around his eyes. Fluttershy kept rubbing his back as his head dropped lower into his hooves. “My filly. My Rainbow Dashie. My daughter. Eventually I came back to the hospital, hammered. The nurses almost didn’t let me in, I had to convince them that I was just on pain meds. That was difficult, when I could barely walk straight, and I smelled like alcohol.“ A small grin came across his face as he remembered the day vividly. “Once I finally got back to the room, there she was. It was like a mirror image from what I had seen earlier. Dash’s mother had the biggest grin on her face as she looked down at Rainbow. She was like that for hours.” The grin on his face was wiped away. Fluttershy and Scootaloo both stood there not really knowing what to do. They wanted him to explain, but they didn’t expect this.

“The day we brought her home, she wouldn’t let Rainbow Dash on the ground for a moment. I swear I only saw that filly in her mother’s arms for at least 2 weeks. Every time I stared at Rainbow Dash, I froze. That thing that my wife was holding, was my daughter, genetically mine. I went off the deep end. I couldn’t really help, I just couldn’t. I wasn’t used to responsibility like that. And at the time I didn’t like it.” Slowly the he began to choke on his words as he continued. “I volunteered to work late every night, I never truly wanted to go home. She was such a cute little filly, and I just don’t understand why, but I couldn’t go home. My friends and her friends would always walk up to me and tell me how cute my daughter was. I couldn’t stomach it. I wasn’t ready to be parent. So I hid, until my company offered me a job out in Los Pegasus.”

By now Dash’s father was having trouble speaking, tears began to swell again. “I saw that as my one chance to leave. I knew of a flight school that would keep Rainbow all year round, and I had a friend who worked there hook me up. That was my one way out, and I took it. I took it!” He slammed his hoof into the ground making a thud, the sudden change of emotion startled Scootaloo. “And darn it! I took it. Her mother hated the idea, to this day I don't understand why she didn’t leave me. I really wish she had. I would have left myself, if that was possible. I am ashamed to say this, but the day we left felt liberating. To this day I hate myself for that. My wife cried for two weeks once we arrived in Los Pegasus. I had to do everything, I made her into a monster, no, I forced her to become a monster. After a month or two, she just couldn’t cry anymore, and just became cold to everything. I was happy. Happy!” Pounding his hoof back into the ground again, he let tears out along the way.

Fluttershy looked on with sympathy, he was hurt, anypony could tell that. Dash’s father could not muster up the strength to continue as he wept. Fluttershy kept on rubbing her hoof on his back, trying desperately to console him. Nurses and doctors came back and asked if there was problem. Fluttershy just told them everything was fine, as he was unable to control himself. Eventually he picked himself up, wiping the tears from his eyes.

“And that’s what I did wrong, now you know. I bucked up, and I understand that. I would pay anything, do anything, or try anything to go back in time and smack myself in the face. I lost something that day, and ever since that day, I have been unable to get it back. Now I know that some mistakes can never be fixed. I will leave the hospital for a couple of hours, can you just get Rainbow Dash back in here? I just want her to be with her mother, that’s all. Tell her I am gone for good.” He dropped his head as she began to trot off toward the elevator. “By the way, those were not tears. And if you tell anypony that they were tears, well, then I will deny it.”

Scootaloo smiled hearing the famous catch phrase of her mentor being repeated by her father. They sat and watched Dash’s father slowly trot toward the elevator. His hoof steps slow and careful, head hung low, walking all over the hallway.

“Wait!” Fluttershy called out. The stallion turned his head slowly around to his daughter’s friend. “I will get her back here, I know I can. Stay here, please.”

The stallion paused, looking at the mare with a befuddled facial expression. “Did you not just hear what she said? She wants me gone, and I understand that. Rainbow won’t come back if I am here. I may not know my daughter well, but I know her well enough to be sure of that.”

“I know I can get her back here, with you in the building. I just know it.” Rainbow’s father turned his head back around and stood still in the hallway for a couple of moments, thinking. What more did he have lose? Her friend managed to get her here once, why wouldn’t she be able to accomplish that again?

“Okay,” the stallion muttered, turning around walking backward toward the two pegasi, his face still covered from his ‘fake’ tears. He stopped right next to Fluttershy and looked her in the eyes.

“If she, even if only for a minute, feels uncomfortable with me being there, I am gone.” The pair watched the stallion continue to come toward them, stopping a couple feet away. Scootaloo immediately looked over to Fluttershy, her mind obviously deep in thought.

“How do you plan on getting her back?” the stallion asked.

“I have no idea.”

***

Rainbow Dash wiped her face viciously, trying to rid herself of tears. The elevator was taking seemingly forever as it made its way down the hospital. The dimly lit elevator shone on the mare sitting in the corner. Her eyes became red with more tears coming to the surface. She continued to smash the ‘floor one’ button, desperately hoping it would somehow make the elevator descend faster.

The sign which displayed the floor numbers dropped steadily, stopping on floor two. The doors were brought open to a couple of ponies waiting for the elevator. A sense of shock overtook them at the scene displayed in front of them: a teary, wild-maned Rainbow Dash. One of the mares waiting pulled her daughter away from the elevator, into her hooves. They all stood and stared on in bewilderment.

Even more desperately than before, Dash spammed the close door button. What only took a couple of seconds felt like years. Eventually the doors began to close, to her relief. One by one the groups’ faces were blocked from sight by the moving large metal wall. Rainbow slumped back into the corner of the elevator, now crying even more. Not only was she embarrassed beyond belief to be crying, but now everypony else had seen it too.

Why did I come here! Why! Why did I listen to Fluttershy, this was all a big mistake. I want to go home.

She became impatient waiting for the slow elevator to reach floor one. To her relief the sign displaying the floor number turned to one. One last good wipe was used to rub away any last tears that had come to her face, along with that one quick brush of her mane. She brought herself to her feet, ready and determined that nopony else was going to see her crying. Each muscle felt ready and willing for a sprint.

The large metal doors opened, revealing the same room she had been in not too much earlier. The mother and her filly had left, and the room was like before. A couple of doctors stood at the entrance to the elevator, talking and discussing. Across the room, light from outside was streaking in. The light was freedom, safety, a way out.

The doctors, like the ponies on the floor above, were shocked at the scene before them as the doors to the elevator fully opened. They didn’t have a chance to take in the whole scene and process it though. Rainbow Dash sprinted full speed, like a bat out of hell, for the light coming from the outside. She made easy work of the doctors waiting directly outside the elevator. There was a gap between two of them, and she took it. The ponies were pushed to the side as she squeezed her pegasus frame between them.

Rainbow Dash kicked up wind, running at full speed, causing papers and documents to fly about, while she sprinted toward the door.

“Hey!” one of the doctors screamed, losing his papers in the madness.

With each hoof step she was closer and closer to her goal. The temperature changed slightly as she neared the sunlight, this only spurred her on even more. Not even taking time to open the door, she charged on straight through them. The pain was masked by adrenaline starting to rush through her system. Rainbow Dash was blinded by Celestia’s sun, once outside.

Instead of waiting to adjust to the sunlight, she continued running, not letting anything get in her way. Her heart began to race as she sprinted faster and faster, not wanting anypony to see her in her current state. Ponies barely had a chance to even to get a good look, all they saw was a cyan and rainbow blur pushing past them. She was running with no direction or destination, only purely to get away.

Street by street she ran through the city. The sun had risen more since they entered the hospital. Celestia’s ball of light shone brightly, illuminating all of the royal city. Canterlot was in full swing, ponies were out and about, doing tasks and enjoying the day. They looked onward in confusion at the cyan pegasus running in and out of allies, their day being interrupted by a rainbow blur.

Eventually she ended up at the Canterlot Royal Gardens. The wide prominent statues lining the entrance, watched the cyan pegasus run straight in. The park was scarcely populated at this time of the day, nopony was even in sight. Without any care or hesitation Rainbow Dash ran down one of the ornate paths that led deep through the garden, without thinking.

With tears staining her eyes and mane she charged on the path full speed, picking up dirt and leaves as she ran. Nothing fazed her, not the dirt, nor the leaves. Rarity would throw a hissy fit if she was ever in this situation. The thought made Rainbow Dash laugh on the inside, this thought however, quickly passed as she saw two ponies walking the opposite direction on the path. Now that she was thinking rationally again, her reputation was her first goal. Hide, hide, hide. Nopony can see me like this, my life will be ruined!

Her head was thrown right and left, looking urgently for a place to hide. Her gaze eventually settled on a large oak tree that lay off the path. Immediately Rainbow Dash’s course of direction changed, straight for the oak tree. In her panic to find a hiding place she forgot to look at what laid before her. Thorn bushes laid down a wall between the pegasus and the great oak tree. But, it was too late.

The thorns jammed into her cyan coat. Ripping and tearing its uniform color, and adding a crimson color of its own. Bits and pieces caught her mane and entwined themselves inside of it. Her body was halfway through the bushes, and there was no stopping now. The sheer adrenaline rush was the only thing masking the debilitating pain. Almost through the bush the thorns became thicker, burning themselves inside the mare’s tough of outer coat.

The pain could still hardly be felt when she exited the bushes and continued on toward the tree. The two ponies in the distance had no clue of the ordeal unfolding in front of them only about 50 feet away. A couple more shrubs laid in the path to the tree, but they were easily tramped over. Safety, at last. The mare let out a sigh of relief as she slid under the tree. The pain not having fully set in.

Her lungs were breathing hard, her heart rate was elevated, and adrenaline ran through her system like water in a rapid. She was exhausted, but her mind was not. The recent dialogue with her father played over and over inside the mare’s head. The day they left for Los Pegasus as well, came to mind. Her mind went racing, analyzing and going over every last detail of her past, nothing was left out.

The rainbow maned mare sat there under the tree, dirty, bloody, thorn ridden, and physically exhausted. The barbed plant had left its prickly weapons all over Rainbow Dash’s coat and mane. Some blood seeped from some of the more major cuts that had been inflicted. The crimson color of her blood mixed in with her coat, giving off a color all its own. Vines from the bush lay scattered about in her mane like terribly placed hairpins, but much more painful.

Her body began to cool down, and as a side effect the pain started to kick in, only intensifying her tears. It felt like sharp daggers were stuck all over her body, like no other pain she felt before. The speed at which the mare ran only drove the thorns deeper. A mixture of emotional and anguish filled tears began to run down her face. It was overwhelming.

Slowly and carefully she began to pull the barbed nuisances out of her coat, only to cause more pain and blood. With each pull the suffering only increased, causing her face to cringe in agony. Her mind spun, with the day’s events only adding to the overall feeling.

The two ponies who were on the other side of the path eventually made their way down past the tree, under which Rainbow hid. They were close enough that Dash could hear their conversation, not that she could understand it with her own current problems. She bit her lip not wanting to cry out in pain and attract any unwanted attention. Keep walking, please keep walking. To the mare’s relief, the pair eventually passed, seemingly not having seen Rainbow Dash.

The pain was now excruciating, so she gave up on pulling out the rest of the thorns. It was not helping that her mind would not stop either. Images of her father and the early years of her life came flooding back like a violent storm. It was too much to handle, the world started to swirl around her as she laid over, sprawled out on the soft grass. The sun above her began to spin circles as she closed her eyes. The mare gripped the grass trying to get a hold of herself. Her hooves were violently shaking her head, in an effort to snap herself out of her trance, it was of no use.

Even with her eyes closed, the world still spun endlessly, her mind kept speeding up. Thinking harder and more about anything and everything it could. The heat from Celestia’s sun above felt like lava on her tarnished mane. It was too much, it all was too much to bear.

All of a sudden everything went blank, the pain, the agony, the thoughts, and the feelings. Simultaneously stopping, leaving her mind in pure nothingness. Control of limbs went as well, no longer was she able to move her hooves or wings. Silence swept over the mare as she faded out listening to the calm rhythm of her breathing.

Author's Note:

Next chapter should be out soon as well, just gotta edit it. Thanks again to my editor, TheShadow, for being a boss and helping me with this project, I wouldn't be able to do it without you. I hope you enjoy reading this, as much as I enjoy writing it.
Thanks Everypony.