• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 15,426 Views, 3,324 Comments

The Abundance - defender2222



Sequel to Faith and Doubt. Twilight must save Equestria from her friends who've become alicorns

  • ...
80
 3,324
 15,426

PreviousChapters Next
Check... Check

“And sometimes we play chess with people’s lives.”

-Magneto


"So the stories were true... I suppose it was too much to hope that they were lies."

Rarity stared out at the vast expanse of blue sky. The sun had risen on another fine day in Equestria and other than the occasional cloud that drifted by it was shaping up to be a magnificent day for all the little ponies of the land. They would be able to do their work and play their games in the bright sunlight, a smile on their face and a song in their hearts, for they knew the power of harmony and reveled in all that the queens had provided. All the negative aspects of life were slowly being stripped away, leaving them only with the feelings of joy to fill their souls as they lived in their newly minted paradise.

But, for the mares that ruled over Equestria, the sunny day was not at all peaceful or sweet. The joy that flowed through the land could not conquer the sadness that filled their hearts. No, for them the day was one marking tragedy, even if the dark events that had brought them to this empty patch of sky where the great city of Cloudsdale had once hung had been over with nearly a week ago.

At her side was Fluttershy, who was biting back tears as she gazed upon what little remained of her childhood home. When they had begun to hear the tales of the fall of Cloudsdale and the yellow alicorn, had called Rarity back from her stronghold of Manehattan, seeking her aid. Fluttershy had feared the worse and, in a rare show of impulsiveness, wanted to rush forth at once, but Rarity wanted to give the truth time, knowing that rumors were always hard to prove and even harder to dispel.

"Come now, Fluttershy," Rarity had said upon her arrival. "Dry your tears and steady your heart. We do not know if these stories are true so it is silly to mess up your eyeliner."

"But I'm not wearing eyeliner."

“Well, you really should…”

The days had gone by but the stories never changed: Queen Rainbow Dash had battled an alicorn claiming to be the abstract Loyalty. At her side had been the queens' fallen friend, Twilight Sparkle. The events of the duel were hazy at best. There were some that claimed Twilight had turned into an ursa major and ate ponies wholes. Others side that Rainbow had donned golden armor and wielded a great burning sword. There were even reports of Derpy Hooves perform a Sonic Rainboom… a silly rumor that Rarity dismissed at once. But what was known was that at the end the dark alicorn Doubt, along with the prisoners he had broken out of the Canterlot cells, had arrived on The Abundance, the secret airship the queens had commissioned which had been stolen by the corruptor. Twilight and Rainbow had joined them on the deck and, from what they could gather, had fired upon Loyalty and Cloudsdale till neither were left.

"How... how could any pony be so cruel?" Fluttershy whispered. It was a miracle she hadn't fallen to the ground, as the sight of Cloudsdale reduced to a few nimbus shreds had her wings trembling so hard they threatened to lock up.

"Clearly Doubt is much more powerful than you ever believed," 'Cadence' said. Of course, it wasn't the pink alicorn that was speaking... no, this was the original Doubt, wearing Cadence's form like a glove. The mad abstract (both in terms of her temperament and her sanity, though it wasn’t wise to say so to her face) had not argued when Rarity had announced her decision to bring the final princess under the queens' control with them to inspect Cloudsdale; after all, it had been Doubt who had suggested it. Not in so many words, obviously... but a few casual comments about the likelihood of the entire Canterlot cells managing to escape on their own had Rarity questioning the strength of the guards. The white alicorn had already grown distrustful of the Canterlot soliders, who had grown fat and slow watching over the ghost town. Of course, Canterlot was suppose to be empty and serve merely as an example of the failures of Celestia and Luna; it had never been meant to act as a jail and it was only because of a lack of options that it had become so. Even with Rarity's own guard coming to support the city (as Pinkie had refused, as had Applejack; Rainbow's elite were searching for the rebellion and Fluttershy's were more spy than warrior) they had failed.

And now Cloudsdale had paid the price.

Doubt felt like lewdly rubbing herself all over, she was so delighted in her evil scheme.

"Yes, you are right," Fluttershy said gently. "I just wish..."

Doubt tuned the yellow alicorn out. That was the problem with Kindness... when directed the right way she proved to be quite evil in her actions... one of the biggest advocates of brainwashing the innocent, feeling that it was a kindness to remove their free will so that they might interact better with those around them. But when there was even a moment of down time the abstract that fueled Fluttershy would turn her gaze towards those she thought of as enemies and suddenly get a case of nerves. She had an abundance of empathy and that did not do well for Doubt's master plan. Kindness needed to be treated like a cannon to be aimed. That just wouldn’t do though, not when her attention was focused on so many other things.

No, everything needed to be rolling along just as she wanted if she had any hope of having her revenge. While Rarity and Fluttershy looked upon the remains of Cloudsdale in despair, Doubt mentally reviewed her notes and considered how things had gone so well for her. The elements of harmony had fallen in like just as she had wanted, believing the worst of their brother just because he didn't act as they did. If she did not loathe Faith with every fiber of her being, Doubt might have become his greatest ally. Both of them had done terrible things to survive and it was only because Faith's acts had directly caused Doubt harm that she now sought his end. But though she might be unstable, even she was able to see that the two of them were quite alike and, more importantly, stood against the other abstracts that remained grounded in the past and tradition and unable to move beyond that which they had always known.

Doubt had reveled in the way that she had gotten the five elements to justify the most horrid of actions. She had blinded their hosts as well, slowly at first with little whispers and comments... but now Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity were so far down the pit that Doubt reasoned there was little chance they would be able to drag themselves out of it in time.

Of course, she had thought the same of Rainbow Dash…

Through Cadence's eyes, Doubt examined the empty sky that had once held Cloudsdale and felt her gloating abate just a touch. Yes, Rainbow Dash. She had thought she was under her control and now saw that this was far from the truth. Rainbow Dash had managed to escape from the fog Doubt had put about her and had joined up with Twilight Sparkle and the monster Faith. It had been a loss and one that Doubt had felt greatly.

And yet, even then, her defeats had yielded victories. She had never guessed that Loyalty could become so twisted and corrupted. He had been the perfect weapon and Doubt had used him fully.

'Abstracts are so arrogant,' she thought with a snort. 'They all believe themselves to be so above others that they don't see that they are being manipulated just as much as they ponies they play mental games with.' Doubt savored the stories she had heard of Loyalty taking control of Cloudsdale and showing ponies just how powerful an abstract could be. More than anything he had done, it was this whisper of danger and control that had done more to spread doubt throughout the land. Now all sides worried about the queens and the abstracts, their minds forever turning on the problem that they too could come under the iron hoof of these strange creatures.

The other side had fared no better... Faith and his little band of escapees had just sent to all those in the country a clear message: we are willing to go to extremes to exact what we think is just. Nothing shattered alliances better than one pony holding all the power and with that little show of force Faith had just provided the perfect breaking point.

As Rarity and Fluttershy discussed their next course of action, Doubt pondered the foolishness of Faith. He was playing right into her hooves and the mad abstract couldn't have achieved such results on her own without him. It made her wonder if he truly understood the scope of her plan. He had just helped her spread more doubt throughout the land and there was simply no time for Faith to correct any misconceptions ponies might have about him now.

A much darker thought crept up on her, however, and drove away the smile that had been threatening to blossom alone her features. Faith WAS cleverer than this. He had survived 2000 years not only stealing her power but developing just enough of his own that, when he was reborn as Faith he didn't find another abstract holding his strength. That was troubling... Doubt didn't like dealing with ponies that could match her wit for wit and Faith had already proven himself such an enemy.

So why go and do something that would spread doubt?

Answer: because the upswing was greater than the downswing.

Doubt forced herself not to begin to hyperventilate; it would do her no good to break her role now and reveal that the serene little prisoner the queens saw Cadence as was not who she seemed. But it was hard... oh, it was so hard. Doubt had made a mistake, a flaw that could become fatal. It was a part of her plan she had never considered and now that she saw the shatterpoint it made her heart race. After all, when things grew dark and ponies began to doubt, what did they do?

Sought refuge in those things they held to be steady... true... those things they still had FAITH in.

Now that she threw open her senses and paid attention not just to her element but to all, she could feel the strength of faith growing in the hearts of even the queens. They were believing in their abilities and their goals... and lending Faith the power to move against her.

Doubt thought of Celestia and how the alicorn had so enjoyed playing chess with ponies’ lives. Faith and his little minion Twilight were now doing the same thing, using Doubt as their opponent... and Faith had just countered her check with one of his own. The board had shifted and Doubt suddenly found herself staring down at a battle that was no longer assured.

"We must return to Manehattan," Rarity said, breaking Doubt out of her twisted thoughts. "We can regroup there and come up with a new plan."

She held faith in a city now too... she doubted Canterlot but held faith in Manehattan. Check... check.

Doubt scowled when the queens turned their backs to her. She hadn't wanted to resort to this move just yet, but it was time to place the forgotten piece onto the board... one that could distract Faith and Twilight and let the mad abstract work. Already this little weapon was spying on The Abundance... it would only take a small push to make her entire the game.

The Abundance was too dull... and needed to learn to smile... smile... smile.

PreviousChapters Next