• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 15,424 Views, 3,324 Comments

The Abundance - defender2222



Sequel to Faith and Doubt. Twilight must save Equestria from her friends who've become alicorns

  • ...
80
 3,324
 15,424

PreviousChapters Next
The Battle of Winniepeg Part 1

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

-George Santayana


“Trixie, pay attention.”

The blue unicorn hurried over to the bars, dropping the magazine that had been left in her cell. It wasn’t all that interesting, as the periodical had been written by Rarity. Oh, there was the standard gossip rag articles on fashion and new plays and such, but everything had the sickeningly sweet coating of harmony painted over it. All the plays being reviewed were happy pieces where there were no real problems; the dresses were advertised to be free to everyone because it would be horrible to make them pay. It was garbage but unlike Faith, who had a bad habit of going into trances and not talking or moving for hours, Trixie needed something to do before her head exploded.

“What’s going on?” Trixie asked, peering through the bars. The wide hallway made it near impossible to see the cells across from hers but Trixie got the sense that they were occupied; she could hear murmurs and snippets of conversations coming from the cells much the same way Faith and her passed the time with idle talk.

“A murmur is rolling through… I think we are getting a new prisoner.”

“Wonder who this could be?”

“I am hoping the queens with Celestia marching in to inform us the war is over, but I doubt that,” Faith said.

“You still feel doubt?” Trixie asked, surprised.

“Does Princess Cadence feel hate or annoyance? Just because I am the embodiment of faith doesn’t mean I’m full of it.”

Trixie frowned. “Well… isn’t that interesting.”

“What?” Faith asked. He had found out early on that his larger size prevented him from getting his head through the bars to look down the hall, a problem Trixie did not suffer from.

“You must be psychic.”

Faith didn’t have a chance to question his friend (‘Is that all she is?’ a little voice that sounded much like Twilight nagged him; the abstract made a note to discuss mare and stallion relationships with his student, to get a better understand of what his feelings for the blue unicorn really were... especially since Twilight was the only mare he'd really been friends with since gaining a body), as at that moment the guards passed by with the new prisoner.

“Cadence,” Faith murmured in shock.

“No…” Cadence whispered, staring at Faith before thrashing against the guards. “NO!”

“Get in there,” one of the guards said. "We don't want to hurt you princess but we will."

“What are you doing here?!?” Cadence screamed in a near panic. “You are suppose to be with Twilight! Who is with her? Who?”

“It doesn’t matter,” one of the guards stated, answering the question that had not been directed at him in the first place. “Our queens are set to retrieve Miss Sparkle from Winniepeg and she will soon join them in ruling this land… then you will be dealt with, all of you.”

Faith grit his teeth in frustration. “Bloody stupid fool,” he muttered at himself. For the last day and a half he had been willing the chalk up his errors that had landed him in the cell as his own problems and nothing more. But now that the queens apparently knew where Twilight was a cold fear gripped his heart. All of their plans now hung on the dagger’s edge and with one flick they would be cast into the abyss. “Had to leave her… arrogant git!”

“Faith?” Trixie called out. “What is wrong?”

“I am just praying, my dear… praying I haven’t buggered everything up.”

~MC~MC~MC~

Winniepeg, as it was known, was a town of old and new, and this could best be seen in its buildings. For example, the Great Opera House had existed since 128 PC (Princess’ Coming). Much of the original structure remained, including the grand domed roof that dominated much of the city’s eastern skyline. However, there was still modern elements placed over the building. Some purists complained, likening the new restaurant that abutted the southern side of the Opera House to be like a bad wig on an old mule’s head, but most merely shrugged and accepted that such changes were needed to keep the old structures up to date.

The complainers would have something new to whine about when they awoke to find that the western wall had been blown out.

“You know,” Rainbow Dash said as she popped up on stage, looking down at the musician’s pit, “normally I wouldn’t be caught dead in a place like this. But you… you would.” Rainbow Dash chuckled as Twilight pulled herself out of the crater she’d made on impact. “Get it? Caught dead? Because we are trying to kill each other.”

Twilight groaned, but it was less from the pain and more from the bad joke, pushing a chair off of her. “Did you blast me in here just to say that?”

The cyan alicorn shrugged. “What can I say, I was inspired. Don’t tell me you weren’t thinking the same thing before-“ Rainbow’s thought was cut off when every chair in the audience section were transfigured into long chains that whipped through the air. She warped around, but the chains just latched together and created a massive web that clung to any surface it touched until one could hardly move an inch without colliding with one.

Rainbow Dash backed away, falling to the stage when it became too hard to find an empty patch of air. Twilight, much to the speedster’s annoyance, simply slipped through the chains, which curled around her like kitties wanting to be nuzzled.

“Huh, a variation on the tunnel web trap from Daring Do and the Sword of Ages. Impressive.”

“Not sure if that should be a compliment, since the one giving it is the evil hell queen that took over Equestria. And by the way, I wasn’t planning on some joke, if that is what you meant earlier. Just trying to figure out the best place to do this without hurting any innocent ponies.”

“Hell queen? Ouch!” Rainbow Dash looked down at the ground and began to spin rapidly, wood flying up and getting caught in the chains as she bore through the stage and into the Opera House’s basement. Twilight pursed her lips and phased through the floor, chasing after Rainbow Dash’s magical signature. “Seriously Twi, I don’t know what Doubt did to screw with your head, but the fact that you think he is one of the good guys and me and the rest of our friends are the bad ponies just proves how nuts you are.” Rainbow Dash’s voice seemed to echo through the cavernous supply room and Twilight frowned, sending up a few magical orbs. The points of light glowed before zipping out in all direction. Meanwhile, Twilight lit her horn and began to search on her own. “Oh, and I’m not an innocent?”

“First off, the blood on your hooves means you aren’t, Dash. Second, you can take what I am dishing out.” Twilight lifted up several trunks, only to find that Rainbow Dash had set up several magic orbs of her own as booby traps. The lavender alicorn yelped as they exploded in her face, sending her crashing halfway across the room. “I didn’t hurt ya, did I Twilight?”

“Blinded me but I’ll be ok in a second,” Twilight said, keeping her tone light. Both of the alicorns knew that the other wasn’t out for their throats and thus they were able to converse without resorting to snarls and growls. The moment Rainbow Dash had emerged from the wall Twilight had made her joke to Celestia then struck Rainbow full on while the speedster was frowning over Twilight’s not-so-subtle reminder of their fight 2 months earlier. The two of them had launched out of Celestia and Luna’s house and dueled in the air, each finding that the other was their superior in some way: while Rainbow had magic Twilight was absolutely a terror with her star magic, and while Twilight knew the battle skills of Hurricane, Rainbow Dash had created all new moves based on her super speed and teleporting. The result was a much more even battle than either of them could have ever supposed.

The skies above Winniepeg had only seen them duel for a few minutes but it was enough to send the guards into a panic. They had tried to rush in and defend their queen but Rainbow Dash had forced them back to their posts, thanking them for their loyalty but telling them it was not needed at the time.

“They are loyal… but they have no faith in you… that is MY element,” Twilight had taunted.

That’s when Rainbow had planted her in the Opera House. Even though she was the queen on an entire country, Rainbow Dash was still Rainbow Dash, anger issues and all.

Twilight blinked her eyes… or, more accurately, her new ones. One of the first things Faith had taught her was how to repair her body. Alicorns were made of strong stuff and healed fast but Faith had learned tricks during his long life that even Celestia and Luna knew little about. Clockwork, one of Faith’s avatars when he had been Doubt, had learned how to speed up the body’s natural healing processes to the point of near regeneration. It could be done with almost no effort as long as the user had magic in their system and Twilight had taken an instant shine to the spell. Which was good, since her first attempts at chaos magic (or gray magic, as Faith preferred to call it) had resulted in her usually blowing up bits and pieces of herself.

“I really hope they aren’t green this time… I hate green eyes.”

“Geez, are you talking to yourself?”

“It was either talk to myself, a brick wall or you. The brick wall will be quiet and you won’t listen, so I settled for myself.” Twilight sent out a blast of magic, only for Rainbow Dash to warp away before the blast could do anything more than taking out some music stands.

“You know, I think you have some misconceptions about all of us.”

“Do tell,” Twilight said, firing several smaller, faster blasts that nearly nailed Rainbow Dash in the flank. She made a mental note to decrease the size of the magic shots by about 30% in order to get a 45% faster strike rate.

“First I have to know… what was the eye thing about?”

Twilight shrugged, still sweeping her horn about and moving about the furniture and props that lay scattered about. “I regrew them and I was hoping I wouldn’t get green ones. Second time I had to do that I ended up with green eyes and yuck!”

“You’ve regrown your eyes?” Rainbow asked, her tone making it clear she was surprised by that bit of news.

“More than that, actually. If you want to get technical, there really isn’t a piece of me that was there when I left Ponyville. Well, maybe some of my brain, but still.”

“Huh, I’ll have to try that out.” The cyan alicorn laughed. “So many new things I’m learning about this alicorn gig!”

“I wouldn’t, Dash,” Twilight said politely. “I mean, you’ll heal just fine, but it will take time. I had to learn all of this from Faith... no offense, but between him and Celestia I have 2000 years worth of knowledge that has been culled and sorted. I know the best of the best and I am not afraid to use it.” Twilight pursed her lips. “By the way, once I am done with you I am going to find Faith and free him. And then the two of us are going to beat you and the rest of the queens down until you give back Equestria.”

“Yeah, sure,” Rainbow said and Twilight could hear her friend rolling her eyes. “Let me tell you how this is actually going to go.” Before Twilight could react Dash launched herself at the lavender alicorn. Twilight was flung back, only for Dash to warp and strike her back. The cyan speedster began to warp so fast it appeared that there were 5 of her, each one lashing out with a hoof and smashing Twilight like a ping pong ball. “You can fight me all you want, Twi, and you can use any magic trick you want, but in the end I am still going to beat you. Do you know why?” One of the Rainbow Dashs bucked Twilight in the barrel so hard that alicorn was sure her ribs were going to go flying out. “Because you’re all brains, Twilight. Don’t get me wrong… you need smarts. But life is more than brains.

“All you girls think I am just stupid, don’t you? Rainbow Dash the jock and Rainbow Dash the muscle. But I have brains to, Twi.” A hoof lashed out and nearly took off Twilight’s jaw. “I just have always preferred to go the more direct route. You can plot and plan and coming up with strategies but they are all worthless when you get a good hoof in the face! Pretty speeches and mindgames only get you so far, especially when the pony you are trying to trick isn’t buying what you are sel-“

Twilight reached up and caught Rainbow Dash’s incoming hoof, pushing it aside. The alicorn of the stars favored her friend with a dark smile as she spat out a wad of blood.

“Doesn’t this feel really familiar, Dash?” Twilight said, looking up at the larger alicorn. Rainbow Dash’s eyes widened as Twilight slowly began to push the cyan mare’s hoof away. “Think long and hard with that big brain of yours.” Twilight’s mane was now whipping around her head, the stars streaking through it almost violently. Her eyes, instead of going one black and one white, went monochrome and then negative: empty blackness with two pinpricks of white light forming her pupils. “Two months ago, in a night club?”

Rainbow Dash, realizing where this was going, warped away. However, instead of reappearing across the room she only made it half the distance. She tried again, and the leap was even shorter this time.

“Think about it… you beat me down, you delivered a little speech… and then I unleashed a trap and kicked your flank.” Twilight smiled, looking over her shoulder. The cyan alicorn paled when she saw the orbs Twilight had sent out at the beginning of their fight in the cellar, the ones Rainbow had dismissed as being seeker orbs, were now engorged with magic. “You know what they say about learning from history.”

“What… what are you… doing to me!” Rainbow grunted, finding that she couldn’t even move her mouth at a normal speed. Her eye lids shut and for a moment Rainbow began to panic, thinking that Twilight had blinded her, before they finally drifted open and a worse truth became clear: that was a blink. She was BLINKING in slow motion.

Twilight stepped closer and Rainbow saw that Twilight looked more like a ghost than a pony. Her body and head were see-through and her legs tapered off into a trailing mist. More startling, Twilight’s main joints where now flaring, white orbs of light growing with each passing second.

“I’ve learned so much about alicorns, Rainbow Dash. Granted, before you girls when power crazy, there were only five, but still, there was a lot to learn. Did you know there are two distinct types?” Twilight continued to pace around her friend, lecturing her like the former pegasus was a filly in school. “There is your kind, the emotional ones. You deal with feelings and thoughts. Faith, you girls, and Cadence are all emotional alicorns… though I guess technically Faith is one of a kind, since he is an abstract-pony hybrid.” Twilight shrugged and continued on. “Then there are the celestial alicorns, like Celestia and Luna and me. We are tied to a physical thing and control it and can become it.” Twilight gestured to herself. “In other, simpler words, I am now starlight, which is very fast and has very low mass; that’s why I can move while my heavy orbs, which have been feeding off all the magic you wasted warping around, slow you down to a crawl. They made all the oxygen in this room more dense, so it is like you are swimming through mud… and soon it will be like iron.”

Twilight returned to face Rainbow, glaring at her. “You want to know your mistake, Dash? You want to know where you got things wrong? Between just the two of us things would have been different. I would have been distracted and made mistakes… but you should have been more careful who you hurt. You depowered the princesses… you beat up my brother… you stole Dinky and all the foals from their homes… and you kidnapped Faith, my friend. That’s the problem with you, Rainbow Dash… you’re boasts are big and your power is great but instead that head your brain really is just-to-small!”

“And you… talk too much, egghead!” Rainbow Dash snarled, her horn flaring. A concentrated ball of energy flared rapidly and only too late did Twilight realize that Dash had done the impossible: she had figured out how to store and contain the power of the Sonic Rainboom.

The Opera House crumbled as the ball exploded.

PreviousChapters Next