• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 15,425 Views, 3,324 Comments

The Abundance - defender2222



Sequel to Faith and Doubt. Twilight must save Equestria from her friends who've become alicorns

  • ...
80
 3,324
 15,425

PreviousChapters Next
Tomorrow

“So this is how liberty dies… with thunderous applause.”

-Padme Amidala, Revenge of the Sith


“We could play Twenty Questions.”

Faith scratched at the wall with his hoof, causing a bit of the drywall to chip away. Beneath the plain white wall lay the cold stone of the cell. The abstract gave a bitter smirk, finding dark delight in how the wall, looking so plain and domestic and homey on the outside yet hiding the dark, hideous truth under a thin layer, served as such a wonderful metaphor for the reality Equestria found itself in.

He’d put so much work into this country, fostering it and helping it grow. Yes, much of his work had been to get ponies to turn away from Celestia, but that doubt in their government had fostered independence and, with that, innovation. Now, with one fell swoop, the queens had taken it all that away. And the worst part of it all was that they had dressed the entire thing up in a pretty bow and justified their every action.

“Do you really think that is the wisest idea?” Faith finally said.

Trixie didn’t say a word for several moments. An immortal alicorn, who had been around since the first time Discord had ruled, who had spent years drifting through the minds of some of the smartest ponies in the world and who, from the way he talked to Sweetie Belle, could banter circles around anypony he wanted…

“Trixie did not think this through.”

Faith let out a barking laugh.

Trixie didn’t join in on the laughter, though Faith got the impression she was laughing on the inside. “You do realize that if Trixie takes into account your… handicap… into account, many of the possible ways to pass the time are eliminated.”

“Handicap?” Faith said, raising an eyebrow. “Since when has intelligence been considered a handicap?”

Trixie did laugh that time. “You really have led a sheltered life, haven’t you?”

“Sheltered?”

“Is this the game we are playing? You repeat all that Trixie says?” When Faith remained silent the unicorn continued. “If there is one thing the rubes in this country hate, it is a pony with some brains in their head. Makes them feel all nervous when they realize just how stupid they are. They scorn those that are smart and belittle and mock them until they are forced to either leave or dumb themselves down. Ponies don’t rise… they settle.” Trixie let out a scoff. “Truly it is a handicap… one we both must share.”

“You know, my dear, I do believe I have seen balloons with less hot air than what puffs up that chest of yours.”

“Trixie denies nothing.”

“Faith can see that. Faith can also tell that you like to lay it on quite a bit and Faith is wondering-“

“Ok, ok!” Trixie exclaimed. “I get it.”

Faith laughed so hard he thought he was going to spit up a lung. “So you do know the word ‘I’. It was getting a bit concerning-“

“Trixie… I am an artist, oh gallant abstract, and all artists have their quirks. It is required of them.” Though he couldn’t see her, Faith got the sense that Trixie was posing as if she were walking the red carpet in Ponywood, with a hundred photographers calling out her name. “It is my calling card, the way I set myself apart.”

“It seems rather difficult to me,” Faith stated. “It must be tiring.” Before Trixie could say a word Faith cut her off. “I am not merely talking about the third person style of talking you use. I mean all of it… all of you. It must be very tiring to be the Great and Powerful Trixie.”

“Don’t psycho-analyze me, Faith,” Trixie said coldly, marching over towards the bars and passing one of her forelegs through. She waved it at the abstract, as it was the only thing she could truly do that would let him see any part of her. “Don’t you dare try that on me.”

“If I caused you some offense I didn’t mean to,” Faith said gently, trotting over to the bars. “It was not my intent. If it makes you feel better, I find that every pony hides their true selves… myself included.” He leaned against his own cell door, resting his head against the padded bars. “How about this for a game… I psycho-analyze myself. Tell you all my faults and failings and why my life is an absolute wreck.”

“Oh, I know all about you, Faith, so that game would be rather boring.”

The abstract sighed. “Don’t be like that.”

“You think I’m just blowing you off, don’t you?” Trixie complained, jabbing her hoof into his foreleg. “You think I’m lying and just trying to hurt you.”

“Prove me wrong,” Faith muttered.

Trixie cleared her throat, her hoof withdrawing to the confines of her own cell. “You have been hurt many times in your life. That much is clear… a blind mule could see that you have suffered. You have known betrayal and you have known pain.”

Faith let out a long suffering sigh. “And I now push others away because I am afraid of being hurt again.” He let out a dry chuckle. “Child’s play.”

“No,” Trixie said quietly. “You don’t push them away. You should push them away… that would be the smart thing to do, the safe thing to do. But you don’t, do you?”The unicorn began to tap the bars of her cell. “You do everything you do… all the little insults and digs and needling… because you are trying to make them better. You are trying to help them.”

“To help them?” Faith asked, amusement coloring his words. “Is that why I do it?”

“Yes. That is exactly what you do.”

Faith stuck his tongue out, though he knew Trixie couldn’t see it. “So, when I was taunting Sweetie Belle to the point that she wanted to throttle me until the words stopped bubbling out of my mouth… that was because I wanted to help her?”

“Oh yes,” Trixie said. “You did that because you wanted her to act like an actual pony instead of one of the many puppets that now populate this sad little country. You did it because you wanted her to see just how foolish she was behaving and how wrong all of this is.” Trixie gestured at the many cells that lay before them. Within each one sat a pony, every one of them declared by the queens to be against harmony. “You do everything you do because you care too much. You care about this world and all that dwell within it and you hold them all in such high regard that when they fail to achieve all that they could be it upsets you and you lash out. You insult them and you belittle them because you see what they could do and it angers you. But even then you still care and all your taunts and barbs are veiled hints at what they could do to save themselves. That’s why you do what you do Faith… not because you stopped caring but because you CAN’T stop.”

Faith let out the weakest of chuckles. “Well,” the abstract said, clearing his throat and running his foreleg along his nose, sniffing, “that is… well that is just…”

“So… I’m a pony that puts up a front because that is what is expected… and you, my fine piece of stallion, play the role of know-it-all jackass because of a large heart.” She looked around the jail and sighed. “And we are trapped down here until the queens decide to murder us or brainwash us.”

Faith clicked his teeth together, digesting Trixie’s words. “What brought you down here, if I may ask?” He trotted away from the bars and pulled a pillow from his bed, tossing it on to the tightly woven carpet that Fluttershy had put down in all the cells. He walked around the pillow like a puppy before settling down. “I mean, I know why I am here… but what grand crime did you commit to warrant yourself being placed next to me? What exactly did you do?”

“Twilight.”

It was a good thing Faith wasn’t taking a drink at that moment, else he would have sprayed it all over his cell.

“YOU DID TWILIGHT?!?!”

Trixie blinked before bursting into laughter. “Is that what you… oh, no no no no.” Trixie scoffed. “I have standards.”

Faith leapt up and rattled the cell door so hard all the prisoners thought it would burst from its hinges. It was only the enchantments that kept it from buckling under Faith’s strength. Even then, the metal squealed in protest as he fought against both it and the iron chains that were wrapped around his limbs.

“Twilight… is a very dear mare to me… you would be wise to watch how you speak of her.”

“…ok,” Trixie said softly.

“Now then… what does Twilight have to do with you being imprisoned here?”

Trixie blew out a blast of air, making a mental note not the press THAT button again. “Several years ago the two of us had… a run in. It is all old news and, to be quite honest I had completely forgotten about how she ruined my career and left me a disgrace and forced me to work on a rock farm in order to survive-“

“I can tell you have let go of the past about as well as I do,” Faith said dryly.

Trixie huffed. “When the queens took over they captured me and threw me down here… they said I was to be Twilight’s prize when they ‘freed her’ from the grips of dark magic. Her first ‘convert’, I believe.”

“That’s it?” Faith questioned.

“Isn’t that enough?”

“It just seems… so lacking.”

“These are the queens… even before they gained their powers they were rather lacking.”

Trixie didn't say anything for a long while and Faith began to wonder if the unicorn had drifted to sleep. Time had lost all meaning in the cells; it was always bright and from what he had gathered from the others sleep was fitful and short. It made it impossible to figure out when one day ended and another began and even Faith was have problems. With the magic dampener on his horn he could not connect to Twilight and read her thoughts, which meant he truly was cut off from the world. That had been... an unpleasant discovery. He had done well to hide how much that detail put a wrinkle in his plans. It had been a tactical error to assume the queens would only shield the cells or that they would fail to take into account his special brand of magic, and now it was putting a wrench in his plans.

"Faith," Trixie said softly. It wasn't so much that she had spoken as the way she said his name that startled him. It was so quiet, empty of the vigor and boldness that normally colored her words. He had only known her for a few hours but it felt like they were already old friends; hearing her talk like that was worse than any blow the queens could have given him.

"Yes Trixie?"

"We're going to die here... aren't we?" She sniffed and Faith looked down at the enchanted iron chains on his legs with disgust. At that moment he wanted nothing more than to break the wall down and comfort the mare he barely knew.

Trixie had been right: he cared too much.

"Maybe," Faith said softly, unable to lie. It just wasn't in his nature. He pursed his lips in annoyance at that thought; what would Queen Applejack think of that?

"We are going to die or they are going to turn us into their puppets," Trixie said, her voice hollow. "I... I don't want to die, but I don't want to s-smile like that... like they m-made those... those..."

Faith moved over to the bars and forced his leg through it as far as it could go. He waved his hoof but, to his disappointment, Trixie did not extend hers. "Do you want to know what death is like?" Faith asked her. "I died once... Twilight brought me back but I did die, if only for a moment."

"Let me guess... it was a pretty green pasture and there were dead relatives and you were happy," Trixie said bitterly.

"No," Faith said gently. "You know what death is like? It is life... it is every moment of your life, the best moments, played over and over. Sometimes they aren't even the moments you expected to be your best ones; sometimes they are just simple moments where you did nothing at all but exist... but that is good enough. And you understand… you truly understand how all your actions affected the world, even the smallest, and it makes you weep and smile. You get the experience the best life has to offer, again and again... and it is so long and yet so short and you don't care because you... you know peace." Faith let out a sigh. "Don't get me wrong, I prefer life to death but... if I have to die I can adjust. So you see… death isn’t scary at all."

Trixie considered his words. "And... and if they want to make me a puppet?"

"I won't let that happen. You have my word."

"How can you-"

Faith's hoof clanged against the bars, silencing her. "I… will NEVER let that happen. You have my word.” He let out a long sigh. “Enough of that... dwelling upon it will only drive you mad."

"Then what should I do?"

"Wait," Faith said. "Wait for tomorrow."

"What's so good about tomorrow?" Trixie asked.

"Everything," Faith told her softly. "Tomorrow is full of possibilities and chances... tomorrow is hope. Tomorrow is made for dreamers and wishers... and those with faith. Today is for my brothers and sisters... tomorrow is all mine. That is why I am different than them… they look only at today; I look at yesterday and tomorrow and I honor what has come before and I race towards the bright dawn that is to come. And you should too." He could tell Trixie wanted to argue but he refused to let her say another word. “Now dry your tears and close your eyes… it is time to sleep.” Faith waited… and a smile blossomed when Trixie reached out and pressed her hoof against his own.

Faith

The sun’ll come out
Tomorrow
Bet your very last bit that tomorrow
There’ll be sun

Just thinking about
Tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs and the shadows
Till there’s none

Tomorrow
Tomorrow
I love ya, tomorrow
You’re only a day a-way

Tomorrow
Tomorrow
I love ya, tomorrow
You’re only a day a-way

PreviousChapters Next