• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 15,421 Views, 3,324 Comments

The Abundance - defender2222



Sequel to Faith and Doubt. Twilight must save Equestria from her friends who've become alicorns

  • ...
80
 3,324
 15,421

PreviousChapters Next
Down Down Down

Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange.

-Inception


You all thought this would be easy, didn’t you? Thought you could march in with your plans and your strategies and take me out. You thought I would sit by and let you come to me on your terms? Did you assume that I would be too stupid to realize that you planned to come at me full force, once you had gathered up Applejack? Of course you did… you thought I would stand by and wait my turn like a good little soldier. That is just silly. Where is the fun in waiting around for you to overwhelm me when I can bring the games to you?

Sunlight streamed into the Ponyville Library, shining down on the form of its librarian as she looked through her periodicals. Twilight turned the page of the magazine in front of her and snorted when she read its contents. “I can’t believe any pony would believe this spell could give you a longer mane! It would clearly cause your hooves to shine!” She levitated a quill over to her and moved the magazine over to her desk. She rolled her eyes as she grabbed a scroll and set to work. “To… the editors… of Magical Monthly… I have found it quite… laughable… that you would publish such an incomplete spell… as you did in your March edition. “

She chuckled to herself as she detailed just what was wrong with the spell. It was just so utterly silly it made her nearly weep. She glanced over and lost the battle with the giggles when she noticed that the spell next to it was wrong too. Shaking her head, Twilight set about correcting the editor again, never noticing the cracks that were forming in the air around her, pink energy oozing out of it. To one side, unnoticed, was a magazine bearing the image of a certain pink pony…

You see this all as a math problem, don’t you Twilight? 5(alicorn=1000) + 3(abstract=1000)=8000. Even if my power is at 2000 or 5000 you still outpower me. But life is not mathematics, Twilight, and that is why you have been failing all this time. You keep rushing in, thinking that because you have the numbers you can win. But how can you succeed when you are playing against someone who controls the very system around you. You based your beliefs on a set of rules… but I have rewritten them. They were rewritten before you even knew I was here. You thought you were prepared… you thought that you had built up your walls and knew how to keep me out. Silly, silly Twilight… my attack was merely to a feint; I wanted you to find me so I could see your strengths and weaknesses. Everything you thought was real was merely a dream and with each ‘awakening’ you merely fall down deeper. I found the fissures in your mental shields and now I use you to get to the rest…

Celestia and Luna sat in their customary box at the Canterlot Playhouse, watching a wonderful staging of ‘Twelfth Night’. It was a wonderful production, with no expense spared and the greatest of actors giving even the smallest part all the strength one could. They chuckled and laughed at the antics of the ponies on stage, delighting in how every cue was made and every line hit just right. They never noticed that the actors were all pink…

This is how you enjoy life, isn't it? You like it structured and controlled, with every actor knowing his lines and all roads leading to happy endings. That is why you were so against Discord; if you desire life to be a play then he wanted it to be all improv. I see now that both of you were wrong... life can not be pure chaos but it can not run without a strong hoof to guide it. A paradox, you might say; a stubborn truth is my reply. There must be room to grow… but boundaries to keep one in place. A balance… harmony. True harmony… MY harmony…

Spike was holding his sides, laughing so hard that he was a having a hard time staying in his chair. The comedy club was filled to the max, every pony joining him and laughing at the dignified Fancy Pants as he worked the mic and the room.

"Why did the chicken cross the road?" he said with his usual pompous flair. "To get to the other side!"

Spike threw back his head and laughed, pounding the table with his fist as his pink waitress brought him another lemonade.

You like to pretend that you are so powerful and refined, don't you Spike? With you new powers you want everyone to see you as an adult, able to hold his own. But it is all a lie, isn't it? You are still a child, giggling at knock knock jokes and snickering when someone says the word poop. You haven't grown up at all, have you? You've just learned to hide the truth. A child… an infant in a world of giants…

"He didn't!" Trixie exclaimed.

"He did," Faith said with a smile, gently running his hoof along her side. The two of them were lying upon their backs, watching the clouds as they drifted by, swapping stories and gossip about any pony they could think off. Trixie, of course, was focused on Twilight Sparkle and her hilarious freakouts, while Faith would discuss ponies who had long since passed on to the other side. It didn't matter to Trixie if she had never heard their names before; she just enjoyed spending time with Faith.

"I can't believe Princess Celestia didn't banish him after that!"

"Apparently old sunny butt has a better sense of humor than we thought," Faith said, causing Trixie to snort. "Ok, ok, we need to calm down... no need to wake up the little prince."

Trixie nodded, a smile growing upon her lips as she looked at the little blue foal that was curled up against her side, his metallic white mane gleaming in the sunlight. Every once and a while he would let out such a great snore that he would wake himself up, looking around in confusion before drifting back to sleep, leaving Fatih and Trixie to laugh at their son's antics.

All that glitz... all that glamour... you have put up so many fronts and played the roles everypony expects you to play. Do any of them realize how simple your dreams are? How the thing that would make you smile and laugh the most is such a grounded thing? Of course they don't... you are too busy pretending your want everything but that to reveal your heart’s desire...

She watched them all… watched as Applejack and Rainbow laughed in glee as they raced, each believing themselves the winner yet unable to see that they were tied. She saw Shining surrounded by family, the center of attention at long last, a wide grin on his face. There was Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, delighting in their cutie marks and waving their rears in Diamond Tiara’s face. There was Big Macintosh, a stuffed doll at his side as he watched apple trees blossom with cherries. She watched the swirl of madness that was Honesty… of course an abstract would find abstract art fun.

She watched it all… she watched them laugh… again… and again… and again….

~MC~MC~MC~

Clyde Pie’s life was exciting.

Normal ponies didn’t see it that way. They looked at his life and saw it as drab and boring. He knew that but it didn’t bother him… he was simply wired differently than the rest of Equestria. They wanted thrills and adventures… but he found excitement in the ground and in the rocks and upon the land. To him, the rest of the world was boring; his farm and his work was the most exciting thing ever.

But he had been pulled away from his exciting life by forces beyond his control. He and his family had been forced to live their lives by the rules of other ponies and deal with what they deemed ‘exciting’ and ‘adventurous’. It gave the farmer a migraine and the desire to run back to his fields.

All of this flowed through Clyde’s head as he slowly stood up,

"What happened?" Sue asked with a moan, Inkie and Blinkie hurrying over to help their mother up.

"Don't rightly know," Granny Smith said, Apple Bloom bringing her walker over. "Big Mac, you know... Big Mac?" Granny waved her hand in front of Macintoh's face, but the stallion just kept staring straight ahead, his eyes flickering every one and a while. "Dang it, you didn't go and have a stroke on me, did ya?"

"If he did then he ain't the only one!" Apple Bloom exclaimed, nudging Sweetie Belle. "Scootaloo and Sweetie are out too!" Apple Bloom turned and let out a panicked wail. "And so is Applejack!"

"So is Miss Sparkle and Miss Dash," Clyde stated, trotting over to the two alicorns. Spike, Shining Armor, Trixie and the Princesses were off to one side, piled up together with their eyes still wide open. To their right Honesty and Faith were crumpled in a heap, looking completely normal save for the long dead stare they sported.

"What happened to them?" Inkie asked.

"What is the last thing you remember?" Blinkie added.

Apple Bloom stood next to her sister, her little hooves pressing against AJ's flank. "We were all at that freaky tea party and then Pinkie Pie made the floor drop out-"

"That was not Pinkie Pie," Clyde said sharply.

"Clyde..." Sue chided gently.

"No. I won't have them bad mouthing our little girl. Pinkie might not act like us but she is a Pie and Pies stick together. That was all Laughter's doing."

"So, what ya think happ'ined?" Granny Smith asked. "How'd we all end up here?"

"I don't think we made it into the house," Clyde said. He took a step forward and his entire body began to twitch. "There be magic around the door, alright. Laughter must have set up some kind of magic booby trap."

Apple Bloom frowned, tilting her head in confusion. "What did you just do?"

"What do you mean?" Inkie asked.

Apple Bloom frowned. "The whole twitching thing... I thought only Pinkie had Pinkie Sense!"

"Pinkie Sense?" Sue said, the slightest of smiles forming on her lips. "Course she would call it that... silly thing always loved naming things after herself! Why, she still refers to our house as Pinkie Pie Manor..."

As Sue trailed off Clyde continued to test the doorway, getting the same results. "Every pony in our family has the Sixth Sense. They say that our line can trace itself all the way to Prince Pie, Princess Platinum's younger brother. He married Smart Cookie and started up a whole brood. I don't know how much of it is true, but all Pies can sense things... including magic." Clyde walked towards the house again and frowned. "Strange magic...my knees get a bit achy followed by my left molar feeling hot and my lids blinking."

"That means the spell was set for a specific pony!" Blinkie declared. "Remember when that mean land developer tried to trick us off our farm and set up that spell that would only affect you, father?"

"I do indeed... and you are right, daughter. Laughter set this spell for one particular pony."

"Yes," Faith called out, slowly rising to his feet, "she set it for Twilight."

"Mr. Faith, you're awake!" Apple Bloom called out, rushing towards him. "You have to help my sister and-"

Sue grabbed Apple Bloom and threw her onto her back, Clyde and the sisters getting in a defensive stance. Granny Smith held up her walker, ready to pound Faith if he made any sudden moves.

"You aren't Faith," Inkie stated. "Don't try and claim that you are! You don't feel like him." All the Pies twitched the same way.

"No, but I am a friend," 'Faith' said as 'his' eyes flashed solid pink. "Doubt tried to use me... but it looks like she made a grave mistake."

"Who are you?" Clyde demanded.

'Faith' smiled. "Cadence... I’m Princess Cadence."

PreviousChapters Next