• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 2,717 Views, 65 Comments

The Legend of Lightning Ace: Childhood - LightningAce7



The childhood of a pegasus named Lightning Ace

  • ...
3
 65
 2,717

The Ruin part 1

It was a cool summer morning as Lightning began to stir under his warm covers. He stretched his light blue wings and legs as he slid out of bed. He trotted over to his bedroom window to catch a glimsp of Cloudsdale in the morning light. He peered out the window to inspect the nearly picturesque scenery. Under Cloudsdale was a seemingly endless sea of cloud with the occasional flash of lightning and soon followed rumble of thunder as the clouds themselves ebbed and flowed like an ocean's tide. Lightning remembered hearing the other day how a thunderstorm was scheduled for today for the area under the city. He always felt...drawn to thunderstorms. Like the dance of lightning longed for him as it's dance partner. The sound of thunder filled his heart with pride and something he couldn't quite explain. He stared at the storm clouds below for several minutes, entranced by the serenity that such a display brought him. He managed to pry himself from the spectacle to finish his morning routine. After he finished preening his wings he made his way over to his calender. It had been two days since school got out, and Flight Camp was nearly just around the bend.

"Are you awake yet my son?" The voice of his mother came through the door, sonewhat startling him.

"Yes mom." Lightning replied with a sign of sleepiness still present in his voice.

"Would you like some breakfast son?" His mom said, opening his bedroom door.

Of course the question was retoricle. She already knew his answer before he could even move his mouth to speak. But he answered with a nod with a grin anyway. With that the sky blue mare turned and left his room with her white tail quickly leaving the doorway. His gaze returned once more to the window as he made his bed. But before he could let himself be further entranced by the storm below his stomach reminded him that breakfast was soon.

Lightning trod down the stairs to the kitchen to get breakfast but his eyes met with a familiar face sitting at the table with his mother. "Dad!" Lightning squeeled as he flew into his waiting forelegs, followed by a heart felt hug. His father had a darker blue coat than Lightning with a mane and tail the color of dark thunder clouds.

"Hey son!" His voice, powerful like the storm below, "How are you doing? I heard you signed up for Flight Camp!"

"Yes Dad! I'm so excited!" Lightning exclaimed.

"Breakfast is ready boys!" His mother said in a melodic manner. She brought the plates over to the table where two hungry maws lay awaiting for their meal. Without not even a second passing Lightning dove into his food, nearly inhaling his breakfast whole. His father simply stared in suprise as Lightning's plate emptied faster than he could even get past his second fork full.

"I see he has my appetite!" Lightning's father said. "I see your cooking has been amazing as ever Sky Breeze." He said.

"Only cause you taught me Thunder Ace." Sky said back, with a slight blush on her face.

Thunder replied with a kiss to her forehead before turning to speak to Lightning. "Lightning I have an important question to ask you..." he looked at his wife who simply nodded back at him, "How would you like to come with me on alittle excursion?"

"What do you mean?" Lightning asked.

"Come with me son." Thunder said as he motioned his son to follow with a foreleg. Lightning, riddled with curiosity, got down from the table and followed his father to a dusty room in the back of the house. the entryway was covered in dust and cobwebs that broke away as Thunder opened the musty old door. Inside was his old private study. Or rather an organised chaos of a study room. It was lined with bookshelves and glass cases filled with dusty old tomes and strange artifacts. The room itself looking rather odd as far as Cloudsdale Architecture was concerned. The floor here was wooden unlike the cloud floors throughout the rest of the house. The walls were somewhat short but the ceiling rose up slightly higher in the middle with a few lanterns dangling in the center. Thunder entered the room first and lit them, illuminating the dank room further. He motioned to Lightning to enter as he pulled out some dusty scrolls out from under a table that sat centered in the middle of the room. "There is something I need to tell you..." he said as he grabbed one scroll in particular with his hooves.

"What is it?" Lightning asked.

"I believe you are old enough to learn something of our lineage." Thunder said as he unrolled the scroll on the table. "This is a map of Equestria. Can you recognise it?" He asked.

"No...everything is in weird places. What does this mean?" Lightning asked.

"That's because this map predates Equestria. This map pretty much shows the locations of several ancient cities." Thunder said as he flattened the map out more. There is one ruined city in Ghasly Gorge that I must investigate. I thought maybe you'd like to accompany me."

"Of course dad! It could be fun!" Lightning chirped.

"Don't worry we'll be back in time to see you off to Flight Camp."Thunder assured. "Now go pack your things, we leave in an hour."

With that Lightning went off to his room, thoughts of exploration and adventure flowing through his mind.

To be continued...