• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 2,718 Views, 65 Comments

The Legend of Lightning Ace: Childhood - LightningAce7



The childhood of a pegasus named Lightning Ace

  • ...
3
 65
 2,718

A Little Detour part 1

It was quiet as the trio was walking down the dirt road. The city of Manehattan now distant, the mountains before them. The mountains seperated them from the greater valley that contains their destination. Before them was Foal Mountain. Getting over it would put Canterlot in view. First they had to skirt around Hollow Shades. This had them pass just north of Fillydelphia. Though not a particularly huge mountain, Foal Mountain was huge to the three foals as they looked up at the foot of the mountain. "You sure we need to climb this?" Flash asked.

"It's the fastest way to Ponyville." Lightning said as he studied the map. "Canterlot is also on the way, and I need to get a few books from there to continue my dad's work."

"Fair enough." Flash said.

"If we start our climb now we should-" Lightning was interupted by rustleing in a nearby bush. "Who's there!?" Lightning demanded. He was answered by what sounded like hastedly retreating hooves.

"What was that?" Flash asked.

"I don't know...but I think we're being followed." Lightning said, his eyes scanning the thick undergrowth.

"What's going on y'all?" Applejack asked.

"Lightning thought he saw somepony in the bushes over there. To be honest, I've been hearing things around us since we left Manehattan." Flash said.

"Alright. It looks like whoever it was has left." Lightning said. "Let's get started up the mountain. We'll camp it out halfway up, then it's up and over tomorrow."

"What er we waiting for? Let's get movin!" Applejack said, already halfway up the trail.

"Hey wait up!" Lightning said as both He and Flash galloped after her. Once they left the the clearing at the base of the mountain a weathered pegasus wearing a robe with wrapings on her face emerged from the bushes.

The mysterious pegasus pulled out a scroll. Written on the scroll were orders to prevent Lightning Ace from discovering what his father almost did. She then pulled out a strange crystal stone from her bag. It glowed with an unatural, unsettleing glow. After a few minutes she put it back. She had been trailing them since Manehattan. She would of struck then but it was too crowded. It needed to be done in secret. She had also been ordered to kill any who got in her way. She of course had her suspicions as to why her superior wanted him dead. He was of the accursed bloodline. He possessed potential. She also had her eyes on the one she diserned as Flash. She then started up the trail. Tonight she would strike.

The sun was setting as the three foals made it to a flat clearing halfway up the mountain. "Alright. Let's set up camp." Lightning said as he set his saddlebag down. The other two nodded as they began to unpack. Thankfully the weather was on their side as it was a mostly clear sky tonight.

"What about whoever's been following us?" Flash asked.

"It's like Lightning said," Applejack said. "Ah'm not worried. Now lets try to get some shut eye., It's been a long day."

Lightnings started to drift off to sleep when the feeling of cold steel was upon his throat. "Don't move a single muscle, thunderling." said a femine voice. His eyes shot open and he got only a look of her out of the corner of his eye. "It was a lot of trouble tracking you down. I'll make this qui-" she was cut off by a buck to her side by Flash.

"Get away from my friend, freak!" Flash shouted, taking an aggressive stance.

"You pathetic little fool!" The stranger said. "You'll die for interfering in my affares!" She then held her katana towards Flash and lunged at him. As she rushed at him something happened within him.

"Nopony hurts my friends!" Flash yelled as embers started to form around his wings and hooves. "NOPONY!!!" He had then snapped. His body then became engulfed in flames as he rose up and looked down upon her. Applejack was awoken by the intense heat of Flash's power.

"Wha...what in the hay...!?" Applejack sleepedly said. She then saw Lightning off to the side stareing up at Flash. The assassin took advantage of this and bucked Lightning hard in the side. "Lightning!" Applejack yelled, galloping to his side.

"Guess I'll have to deal with you too..." She wore an emotionless face as she raised her blade.

"NOOOOOO!!!" Yelled Flash as he unleashed a firestorm from his body, engulfing the whole area in fire.

All was then quiet as Flame fell back to the ground and collasped to his side. On his flank was now a cutie mark. It was a swirl of flame. As he got up Lightning and Applejack emerged from behind a rock. Aj had managed to drag Lightning out of the blast radius just in time. Immediatly they looked around for signs of their assailant. All that was left was a length of her face wrap on a tree outside the blast area and her katana, now stuck in the ground. "What was that?" Lightning finally managed to say, still in partial shell shock from earlier.

to be continued...