• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 2,718 Views, 65 Comments

The Legend of Lightning Ace: Childhood - LightningAce7



The childhood of a pegasus named Lightning Ace

  • ...
3
 65
 2,718

The welcome to Ponyville Party

It took them all night, but with the help of the weather team Rainbow Dash and Flash had managed to remove the invasive thunder clouds from the rogue house. The next daunting task was to get the house back to it's original location in Ponyville. "Sooo...any ideas?" Flash asked as everypony was looking at the house from a nearby cloud.

"Do you?" Rainbow asked Flash in a sarcastic tone.

"My only idea is to...uhhh...push." Flash said, hoofing at the cloud.

"What else CAN we do?" Rainbow said.

Meanwhile the weather team was resting from the previous task, and were completely wiped from getting rid of the storm cloud. It had been a difficult task, but they had done so before. It is a simple yet hard process, starting with bucking a hole on the bottom of the storm. Then they need to drain the rain water out to lighten the cloud so that they can see while inside if it's a building. Then comes the most dangerous part. Removing the built up electrical energy within. Thankfully in the task at hoof nopony was injured. The process involves installing grounding wires beneath the cloud, then flying them up to the cloud to insert the receivers into the cloud. Once the wires are attached the lightning naturally follows the cables to the ground harmlessly, which in turn removes the energy from the cloud.

Flash then had an idea. "We could use rope..." He suggested.

Then one of the weather ponies trotted up to Rainbow and Flash. "We could get the rope from Sweet Apple Acres." She said.

"Where is the farm?" Flash asked.

"Right below us. We must of drifted over it over night after we finished draining and grounding the house." The weather pony said, pointing down at the farm below.

"Than what are we waiting for? Let's get that rope!" Rainbow dash commanded as she took off and bolted towards the farm below. Everypony but a few followed.

////////////

The light of the morning sun began to invade the guest room of the Apple family home as Lightning began to stir under the plush, soft covers of the guest bed. He emerged from the covers to stretch to suddenly find the morning sunlight dimmed. Must be a cloud or something. Lightning thought as he slowly made his way to the window. He looked out and up to see a large cloud hovering over the farm. He then returned to the guest bed to preen himself. As he was preening he could not get Applejack out of his mind. But he didn't want her out. instead he only thought about her more. He was nervous all the same though, considering he owed her a date. Once he was done he made his way to the door only to be greeted by the orange filly.

"Rise n shine Lightning! Ah've made a little something for y'all and..." Applejack was interrupted by a sky blue pegasus crashing in through the window and into a shelf. "What in the...Rainbow Dash? What in the..."

"No time to explain! We need rope! And lots of it!" Rainbow said as she got up and shook off the dust from the was-once-a-shelf.

"Might Ah ask what for?" Applejack asked, raising a brow.

"We're moving a house!" Said Flash as he entered through the window.

"...House? What do you mean a house?" Lightning said, finally recovered from the shock of Rainbow's entry.

"We found an old house at the edge of town. It was in rough shape but thanks to the travel money Aj's aunt gave us we now have a home!" Flash said excitedly.

"Sooooo...y'all need rope to move the house?" Applejack said as she pictured them trying to move a house across the ground in a comically failing manner. She then let out a little chuckle.

Rainbow Dash deadpanned. "Ugh. We found an old cloud house. We need rope to move it back to it's original area."

Applejack fought down anymore laughter. "Well, that makes a lot more sense. How much do y'all need?"

"Enough for an entire weather team." Flash interrupted.

"Well that shouldn't be a problem. Alright y'all can borrow mah rope." Applejack said to Flash and Rainbow.

"I wish I could help..." Lightning said as he looked at his wing, still in a cast from a month ago.

"It's alright Lightning." Flash said with a growing mischievious grin. "You still owe Aj a date..." At that both Flash and Rainbow laughed as they both left for the barn. Leaving Lightning alone with Applejack with his good wing now standing on end.

Applejack blushed at what Flash said. "Ah almost forgot in all that..." Applejack said, her blush now lessened. "Ah made you something...Ifin y'all follow me to the kitchen." She said, motioning Lightning to follow.

Lightning followed Applejack down to the kitchen to find a massive breakfast set up across the table. Laid out on the table were pancakes, waffles, frenchtoast, eggs, and just about everything else somepony might find at a breakfast buffet. Lightning's eyes widened as the aromas from the table wafted through his nostrils. "All this...is breakfast?" Is all LIghtning could get out.

"Yup! Figured A'd thank y'all fer helping me realize why Ah wanted to come back home. That and Ah could hear yer stomach from here back to Manehattan." Applejack said as she pulled out a chair for Lighting to sit in. She then pulled up another chair and sat in it. She then looked over at Lightning. "Ah won't bite y'all." She said, letting a shy grin out.

Lightning then fought down his overwhelming shy feeling and got into the chair at the table next to Applejack. The breakfast feast was now before him, with many enticing smells and vibrant baked apple foods lay before him. At this point all table manners went out the window as he dived his muzzle into his plate. Causing Applejack to watch for a moment before shrugging and diving in herself. By the end of the breakfast feeding frenzy they were both on their backs in the chairs with expanded stomachs and looks of food induced bliss. "What y'all think?" Applejack asked, looking over at Lightning.

"I didn't know you were so good at cooking!That was probably the best breakfast I ever had!" Lightning Exclaimed. He then recalled the apple pie his mother had brought home for dinner the evening Derpy was over. It then dawned on him who likely baked the pie, causing him to become a little blushed. Much to his dismay Applejack had noticed.

"Y'all ok? You look a little warm..." Applejack said. She then realized why his face was red. "Ah get it now...yer embarrassed..."

Lightning knew he couldn't hide it anymore. "I uhh...have had your cooking before..." He said.

"How...Ah was in Manehattan until you met me." Applejack said.

"My mom had visited this place many months ago and brought back an apple pie from here. She said it was baked by well...you before you left..." Lightning said, still embarrassed.

"Glad y'all liked it! Ah made it for yer mother as a thanks fer helping us on the farm. She helped with a stray fog bank that was making the harvest hard for the farm hooves. Ah'm glad y'all liked it!" Applejack said, blushing slightly.

After that Lightning helped clean the kitchen, then they left for town.

///////////////////////

The rope was returned to the derelict house as the early morning sun rose higher into the sky. The weather couldn't be more perfect, as there was no wind or a single cloud to be seen for miles. Which was exactly how Rainbow Dash, Flash, and the weather team wanted it. It took several hours but they finally managed to secure the ropes to multiple areas of the house. "Alright everypony listen up!" The weather team manager said. "We need to move this house carefully! There may not be any clouds in our way but if we move too fast we might pull it apart! Now take up the ropes and follow me!"

The crowd gave varying conformations and then took up the ropes. They then took position behind the weather team leader and waited for her signal. After a moment she gave it, which in turn caused the team to begin towing the house. Despite the house being made out of cloud it was still rather heavy, as everypony was beginning to feel the strain. Rainbow and Flash joined in as well. With everypony pulling, the house finally started to move. It was slow at first, but picked up speed as it gained momentum. Once it reached a favorable speed, it became a task of steering and keeping the house on course. The destination was on the other side of town, and due to the few tall structures that happened to be in the way, they had to take the house slightly of course to avoid a collision. After only a few minutes, they had moved the house very close to its destination. "Alright everypony! We have arrived at the destination! Now slow the house slowly!" The lead pony said as the team started to pull the ropes in the opposite direction. The house start to shift slightly as it came to a stop. The team worked hard to keep it stable as it came to a complete stop. "Now anchor it!" The lead pony said. The team then worked to anchor the house to the area. It was a simple task which involved using local winds to 'root' the cloud house into place. Though it was a simple task, it was also tedious. Flash then noticed something on the horizon.

"What's that?" Flash asked to nopony in particular.

"What's what?" Rainbow asked, landing on the cloud next to Flash.

In the extreme distance there was an eruption of what looked like confetti and streamers.

"What's huh?" Flash said as he squinted to get a better look at the approaching...something. As he looked closer he saw a wagon of sorts being pulled by a small pink figure. There was another burst of confetti from the wagon as it came closer down the road.

"...Is that some sort of mobile party or something?" Rainbow asked Flash, to which he responded with a shrug. The wagon then came to a stop only a few hundred yards away, and suddenly the small pink pony was simply no longer there.

"What the...where did the..." Flash was interrupted by a burst of confetti followed by nothing but pink in his face.

"HI!!!!" The pink pony said, no less than an inch from his face. The surprise had Flash in a state of total shock. Before even a second had passed, the pink filly was now in Rainbow's face. "HI!!! I'm Pinkie Pie!!!" The pink filly said to Rainbow, who was in almost as much shock as Flash. All either of them could see was pink. All pink except for her eyes, which were a vibrant sapphire, and her cutie mark, which was a few balloons. Two of them were blue with a yellow one in the middle. With the manner she came, it wasn't hard to figure out what her special talent was.

"Hi...um..." Rainbow was starting to talk before Pinkie started to talk.

"I'm moving to Ponyville to live with the Cakes! They hired me as an assistant due to my awesome ability to throw parties and bake and give everypony smiles!" Suddenly she drew in a huge breath, like a huge prolonged gasp. She rose up off the cloud as she did so, as if mocking the very laws of physics themselves. "We should have a PARTY!!! A welcome to Ponyville-I just made friends-I just moved to Ponyville-you're all great party!!!"

Flash and Rainbow Dash could only watch as the pink filly essentially rendered physics useless. There was then a burst of more confetti followed by Pinkie hoofing them each an invitation to the party. "The party will be at Sugarcube Corner! Seeeeeeee you guys there!" Pinkie shouted. Before they could say anything the party pony was already gone. They looked over to where the wagon was but it was gone as well. Just then the Weather Team leader landed on the cloud.

"Who was that?" She asked.

"Nopony we knew till now. Her name I think she said was Pinkie Pie." Flash said.

"How did she stand on this cloud? Shouldn't she of fallen through?" The weather pony asked, a clear look of confusion on her face.

"I...I just don't know." Flash said.

"Anyway...the house is ready for...uhhh...what is your plans for this house anyway?" The weather pony asked.

"It's gonna be our house...we hope." Flash said, looking at the house.

"Good luck to you guys then...well we've done our job! Good luck fixing it up!" She turned to the team, who were relaxing on nearby clouds. "We're done here! Everypony back to the Weather Station!" With that the weather team took off and headed back across town, eventually disappearing out of sight.

With the house now in place, They then took a moment to look it over, before descending towards Ponyville in search of Sugarcubecorner.

//////////////////////

Lightning Ace and Applejack had been exploring Ponyville for awhile now, even watching the cloud house get towed overhead for a while whilst drinking soda from a nearby stand. They then decided to finally deliver the book, which Applejack had conveniently brought along. It took them awhile, but they found the Library, which was a very large tree. Without hesitation, Lightning knocked on the door. The door then opened, revealing a small violet unicorn colt with a light brown mane and tail. His eyes were a dark brown with a hint of green. "Dad! We've got visitors!" The little colt yelled into the library. He turned back to face the visitors. "Hi uhh can I help you two?" The unicorn asked. His eyes on the large tome in Applejack's saddlebag.

"We have a very important delivery to this library." Lightning said. "We need to see the Libraria-"

"Some visitors! Do come in, I swear by Celestia my son is too shy for his own good." The Librarian said as he motioned the foals inside. After they entered he closed the door. "I'm the Librarian, Mr Knight. Renowned researcher and philosopher. How may we help you?" Mr. Knight asked, looking down at the young guests.

"We have a delivery from the Royal Library. A tome called The Mare in the Moon. You wouldn't believe the trou-"

"Trouble, yes I believe you would be considering the news about the attack on the Friendship Express that has already spread to every corner of Equestria." Mr Knight interrupted Lightning. "That book is said to answers to many a prophecy." He said as he trotted over to the window next to the door. "I also heard there is a vastly powerful unicorn in canterlot...and that she nearly destroyed the entire School for Gifted Unicorns. I also heard that there was a firestorm on Foal Mountain."

"How...how do you know all this?" Lightning asked, having a look of confusion about him.

"I receive letters from the Princess herself. I am her royal researcher after all." Knight said, looking out at the streets of Ponyville.

"Wait...how do y'all receive letters all the way from Canterlot?" Applejack asked, just as confused as Lightning.

"By green Dragon Fire. Green Dragon Fire is a magical fire that can engulf nearly anything and turn it to ashes. The ashes then rise up into the wind and are then carried to the place you want it to go. I am honored to have been a part that research. It was made possible by the hatching of a baby dragon in Canterlot." Knight continued, continuing to look out the window. "It was hatched by the powerful young filly. Evidently there was a massive explosion outside that startled her, causing her to temporarily unleash her apparent raw magical power. Only Celestia intervening stopped her from destroying the school. At any rate the baby dragon possesses the rare magic flame. I do believe that the dragon is being taught how to live like anypony else...perhaps he is to become a citizen? It's not my place to say and-"

"Father!" The young colt interrupted. "You're rambling again!"

"Oh! Umm...sorry everypony...it's just as a researcher and all..." Knight said sheepishly. "I suppose you want to meet my son?"

Lightning and Aj looked at one another and shrugged. "Sure." Lightning said.

"Go on, son. You need to do more than read books all day. A good book is fine now and again but remember that having friends is always nice too! Now run along son...and have fun." Knight said as he trotted up stairs.

There was a moment of awkward silence as the three foals stood just outside the tree library. A few minutes passed before Applejack was about to say something as an eruption of confetti and streamers suddenly burst from seemingly out of nowhere. Before anypony could get their bearings there was suddenly what sounded like an entire band dedicated to what sounded like a party dance number. Following the odd party music was a small pink filly with a puffy mane and tail. Before anypony could say anything she suddenly let out a huge gasp. After about five seconds of exaggerated gasping, she appeared in front of the young unicorn colt. "HI!!! I'm Pinkie Pie!" She shouted as she then popped up from behind Lightning. "Who are YOU!? You see, I just moved here and I want to meet all kinds of new friends but you probably already knew that but come on..."

"Umm.." Lightning tried to say, to no effect.

"I want to be friends with EVERYPONY! And not just everypony here but I mean all of Ponyville! But not just Ponyville but all of Equestria! So I came up with this totally amazing idea while meeting some other ponies and..." Pinkie continued.

"Ahhh...Pinkie?" Applejack said, attempting to get the hyper fillies' attention.

"...And I decided to throw us all a PARTY!!! And your all INVITED!!! Won't it be the greatest day ever!?" Pinkie finally finished.

Both the unicorn and Lightning were still recovering from Pinkie's onslaught of words. "We'd love to come y'all...uhhh...Pinkie Pie was it? Anyhow, where is this party gonna be held?" Applejack asked.

"At Sugarcube Corner! It's where I live. You see I left home to find a place to PARTY but my old home wasn't big enough so I moved out and came here to live and party so I looked around and found out that the Cakes were looking to hire a live-in-assistant so I thought that maybe I should apply so I did and now I have a place to live and party! Soooooo...that is where the party is!" Pinkie Pie finally finished, not even out of breath. She then hoofed out several invitations. "Can't wait to see you there!" She said before hopping off cheerfully down the street, leaving in her wake three confused foals.

"I guess we uhhh...are going to a party?" Lightning asked, still overwhelmed by Pinkie's self introduction.

"Well it would be a good way for y'all to meet new friends here...and besides...y'all still owe me a date...sugarcube." Applejack said to Lightning, making him blush.

"I...I guess...sure. Let's go to this party. I guess it could be fun. Hey! How about you uhh...we haven't even got your name..." Lightning said to the violet colt.

"I'm Moonlight Knight...but please just call me Moonlight." Moonlight said.

"Pleasure to make yer acquaintance Moonlight." Applejack said, shaking his hoof.

"Well we might as well head over to Sugarcube Corner for the party. Though I wonder where Rainbow Dash and Flash are?" Lightning asked.

"Who is Flash and Rainbow Dash?" Moonlight asked.

"A couple of good friends of ours. Maybe Pinkie has "met" them as well." Lightning said.

"It's very likely sugarcube. Now let's get. It's gettin' close to party time." Applejack said.

////////////////

The evening was starting to come as everypony Pinkie Pie invited started to show up at Sugarcube Corner, which looked like a large gingerbread house with a cupcake on top. It's doors and windows bordered with oversized candycanes and the unmistakeable smell of freshly baked goods and all things sugary issuing forth from it's many open windows. From inside everypony could here party music starting as they filed in through the front door, eager to get the party started. Ponies of all ages from young foals to older mares and stallions were in attendance as they partook in the very well organized party. There was dancing and cake and pin the tail on the pony. One couldn't go far without tripping over something to do. At one of the tables was Lightning and his friends...with Applejack sitting very close to him. They were sharing a shake and a platter of cupcakes. Flash and Moonlight were getting to better know one another, and Rainbow Dash was telling others how she got her cutie mark, to which she got much appraise for. Pinkie was dancing in the middle of it all, seemingly in total bliss as everypony was having likely the best time ever.

When suddenly Pinkie popped up between Lightning and Applejack. "Sooooooo...what do you think? Isn't this the best party ever! It's my first party since I discovered parties but still this is the best party ever because I just threw the best "Welcome to Ponyville" party ever!"

"I actually must say you really out did yourself Pinkie. This really is a really awesome "Welcome to Ponyville" party. Especially since I'm also new to town." Lightning said.

Pinkie gave out a really huge gasp. "You're also new to Ponyville!?" the pink filly exclaimed in seemingly legit surprise.

"Err...ummm...yes?" Lightning said, now regretting mentioning the fact that he's new to town.

"This calls for a..." Pinkie Pie started.

Please don't say speech Lightning thought.

"Speech!!!" Pinkie said as she grabbed Lightning and dragged him out into the middle of the room, then cleared her throat. "Attention everypony! We have gathered here tonight to celebrate us being new to town and wanting to meet new friends! Beside me is one of my new friends: Lightning Ace!"

How did she know my name? I didn't even intro... His thoughts were interrupted.

"He has friends too! Which are now my friends too! Applejack, Flash Firestorm, Rainbow Dash and Moonlight Knight!" Pinkie continued.

"It's just Moonlight..." Moonlight shyly said.

"Soooo...welcome us Ponyville to Ponyville! WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!" Pinkie yelled as the crowd then proceeded to party harder.

////////////////

Before anypony knew it they had partied the whole night away, as the sun was starting to come up as the last of the guests left the house totally wiped and partied out. Pinkie waved goodbye to everypony and then went back inside to clean up. Meanwhile Lightning and his friends started off in the direction of Moonlight's house to drop him off. After that they split up, Rainbow and Flash flying up to their new home and Lightning walking Applejack home. After Lightning bid Applejack goodmorning, he then trotted back to the cloud house which was now his home as well. He yelled up for a lift and then they dropped down a rope ladder for him to climb up. The house wasn't very livable yet but it served it's purpose well enough. It had three spacious bedrooms that were furnished with hastedly carved cloud furniture. Lightning, after saying good morning to his roommates he went to his room and went to bed. As he closed his eye's to fall asleep his thoughts drifted onto a certain orange fillies' face.

Author's Note:

Sorry about the extremely long wait. December was a hard month for me. Hopefully now I will have more time for writing!