• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 2,719 Views, 65 Comments

The Legend of Lightning Ace: Childhood - LightningAce7



The childhood of a pegasus named Lightning Ace

  • ...
3
 65
 2,719

Dreaming Big

The Legend of Lightning Ace: Childhood

By LightningAce7

It was a chilly tuesday morning as a small blue pegasus colt with a dark brown mane and tail began to stir under his warm covers. The warm spring sunlight began to invade his room as he pulled his blanket over his head to escape the unwanted light. The door to his room began to open. The noise it generated made it all the harder to try to sleep. His mother, a sky blue pegasus with a white mane, poked her head in and smiled as she looked upon her son.

"You're going to be late for school, Lightning." She said as she nudged the door open more.

"Five more minutes!"Lightning complained as he buried his head under his pillow.

"Five more minutes and you're going to miss registration for summer flight camp!" his mother exclaimed.

"Thats TODAY!?" Lightning said with a worried and suprised look on his face.

With that he flopped out of bed and flew over to his calender. His eyes scanned it for the current date. Much to his delight and dismay, his mom was right, today was the day. He looked at his clock and saw that it was seven in the morning. He wasn't going to be late, he instead fell for one of the oldest tricks in the book for getting lazy little colts out of bed. As he started to preen his wings his stomach started to growl angerly at him. He finished grooming his wings and made his way out of his room and to the edge of the top of the stairs leading to the livingroom and kichen."Mom what's for breakfast?" Lightning yelled as he made his way down to the kitchen.

"Your favorite!" his mom replied as she transfered some fried eggs to a plate. She then retrieved the now finished toast from the toaster and presented the plate to Lightning in a slightly childishly comical manner. It always made him giggle. He took the plate in his mouth and trotted to the dinner table and nearly dropped it as he tripped on a ripple in the rug that the dinning table sat on.

He managed to catch it with his hooves as his wings spazed to keep him from face-planting into the table. He put the plate on the table and then realised his wing was too close to a chair. In a panic he tried to hover away but his wing got caught on it and he lost control and face planted into the table, narrowly missing his breakfast. He fell backward off the table onto his haunches, laughing."Are you OK?" his mom asked.

"I'm fine!" He said back as he climbed into the chair to eat his breakfast.

"I'm going to school mom! Bye!" Lightning yelled as he started out the door.

"Bye son! Love you!" His mom yelled back.

"Love you too!"Lightning yelled as he took off.

It was an amazing day in Cloudsdale as the young colt flew around town. He was still rather young and didn't learn much more than the basics of flight. Though he, like most pegasi, idolized the Wonderbolts. Though nowhere near as much as Rainbow Dash. Still, he was inspired to learn to fly better and today he was gonna sign up for Summer Flight Camp. Thoughts of epic flight manuvers filled Lightning's head as he began to stray from his path, not noticing the grey filly with a blonde mane flying in his direction.

The two collided and landed in a heap on a nearby cloud. "Are you OK?" the walleyed pegasus said as she helped him up.

"I'm fine." Lightning replied. "Are you as exicited as I am about Summer Flight Camp Derpy?"

"Yep!" She chirped, cutely bouncing on the cloud.

"Come on were gonna be late for school!" Lightning said as they took off in the direction of the school.

It wasn't long before they reached their destination. The school it self was situated in the western end of cloudsdale. Purposefully placed near both SFC and the Weather Factory, ment to inspire young colts and fillies of just some of the possibilities that awaited them when they grew up.

The bell began to ring as dozens of ponies gravitated to its front doors. Most of them clamouring to get to the sign up sheet. It was chaos as everypony started trampling each other to get in line. Naturally, Rainbow Dash somehow managed to get to the front of the line. Where as Lightning Ace and Derpy only made it to the middle of it. It would be a looong wait till they would finally get to the desk the teachers set up for this. It wasn't long before bordom struck. "What'd you have for breakfast?" Lightning asked Derpy.

"A muffin! A blueberry muffin, It was amazing!" the grey filly excitedly said. "What'd you have?"

"My usuall, though I wish my mom wouldn't wake me up sooo early." Lightning groaned.

The line moved at a very slow pace for what seemed like an eternity. Though they inched ever closer to the signup desk. Excitement contiued to build as the line got shorter and ponies who finished signing up passed them, making their way to class.

"Finally!" Lightning exclaimed as he approached the desk."Please fill out a form." A staff member said in a stereotypically monotone teacher voice.

"Oh look everypony! It's blank flank Lightning Ace!" yelled a nearby pony.

"What's your problem? You were a blank flank once." Lightning shot back at the bully. The bullies response was to shove Lightning to the floor.

"Leave him alone!" Derpy sternly said as she stomped a hoof.

"Look everypony! Wall eyes is trying to defend blank flank!"He said with a devious giggle.

"He's my friend and I-" She was cut off by getting shoved to the ground. By now the situation had attracted a crowd. The teacher trying to calm the situation.

"Leave her out of this!" Lightning yelled, getting up. "What did she ever do to you?!"

"Awwwww is Derpy gonna cry?" The bully teased.

"I said leave her out of this!" Lightning yelled as he helped Derpy up.

"Get behind me!" He commanded her. Without hesitation, she limped behind Lightning as he turned to the bully.

"That's it Lightning! Your gonna hurt for helping wall eyes!" The bully threatened as he charged the young colt and filly. Lightning braced himself for the inevitable fight. Derpy now fearing for the safety of both herself and her best friend. Lightning grabbed Derpy and jumped over the bully, who continued charging into the desk.Papers flew in every which direction as the bully struggled to get up. Growling with anger he snorted as he prepared to charge again. Lightning once again turning to face his adversary with Derpy behind him.

"What is your problem!?" Lightning asked in frustration as the bully charged him again.

"THAT IS ENOUGH!!!"The teacher bellowed, stumping her hoof between the quarreling colts. "Cloud Breaker, were going to have a talk during recess! Lightning, Derpy, are you two OK?"

"Derpy's hurt Mrs. Sky but I'm fine." Lightning replied.

Derpy limped off with the teacher to the school nurse as Lightning helped another teacher pick up the paper mess."This isn't over!" Cloud snarled at Lightning. "You and me after school!""You really think I'm gonna fall for your ruse?" Lightning retorically asked. Continuing to help with the mess. Though Cloud had already left. Cloud was right though.

Lightning Ace was in fact a blank flank. He didn't know why, especially since he was of age and had a few good talents that any of which could be a special talent. Art among them. Yet his flank continued to mock him with its vacancy. Though he had read and heard that some ponies would only get their marks when not skill, but fate would determine where, what, and when a cutie mark would appear. Lightning Liked the notion that his mark maybe fate driven, so he usually didn't fret over it too much. His mom always just told him to be patient and that it comes naturally.

To be continued...