• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 2,718 Views, 65 Comments

The Legend of Lightning Ace: Childhood - LightningAce7



The childhood of a pegasus named Lightning Ace

  • ...
3
 65
 2,718

Path of the Sonic Rainboom part 1

Rainbow Dash was in awe of what she did. Not very many ponies could leave a trail as they flew. The wonderbolts being the only known pegasi to be able to do so. She stood tall and proud of her accomplishment, absorbing the attention and basking in the glory. Lightning was next as he was called to step up to the ledge. He took off and flew extremely high. She had to squint as he did a loop high up then entered a nose dive. She was then distracted by Cloud Breaker who was trying to get her attention. "Hey Rainbow!" He yelled. "Can I have a word with you?"

"Wait, what about the tests?" Rainbow asked.

"We've already been tested Dash. Besides, what I want to show you is important." Cloud said. "It has something to do with your new rainbow trail."

"That was awsome! I'd love to hear how I was able to do that!" Rainbow exclaimed.

"Then follow me." Cloud said, as he gave an evil grin as they trotted away from everypony. As they left Rainbow Dash could of sworn she heard what had sounded like chanting of some kind. "What was that?" She asked.

"Nothing Dash...lets keep going." Cloud said.

She followed him back to their dorm. They entered it and he led her to the chest next to his bunk. He opened it and pulled out a small book. He hoofed it to her. "'The Sonic Rainboom'?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"It was passed down by my family." Cloud boasted. "It is an account of all pegasi who have the ability to perform a Sonic Rainboom. The last was my great great uncle."

Rainbow was hoofed the book. She immediately opened it. She fliped through several pages until she reached the tale itself, then read it without delay. Her eyes grew large as she finished it awhile later. "And you think I could pull it of?" Rainbow asked.

"It'll be hard work, but you can do it. The ability to do it is in your blood. This talent was for you to unlock and you alone." Cloud said.

"When do we begin?" Rainbow asked.

"Now if you like, Dash." Cloud replied.

"Then what are we waiting for? Lets do this!" Rainbow enthusiatically said.

"Then we have much to do!" Cloud said, " Follow me." 'This was just too easy!' he thought to himself as he led her to the edge of camp. 'Once Rainbow Dash does the Sonic Rainboom, Lightning will be outright crushed by defeat!' Once they arrived the training started without delay. He knew they couldn't be gone for long so they trained during the time between events.

A few days had passed since training started, and Cloud had just gotten Dash's hooves wet. He was then able to show her the proper way to lock her wings during the descent. It took her a few tries and another few days of practice but she managed to get it down. But she still had more training to do. Soon days turned into weeks, and the training was getting more intense. The whole while he had to keep her training a secret, especially from Lightning. Lest his grand scheme be ruined by the pegasus he hated most. Every day Dash got stronger, faster, and she started to develop a bit of an attitude. But she pressed on non the less. Soon a whole month had passed, and Cloud thought it was time for a test. He led her to their usual training cloud. "Rainbow Dash, it's time to see how far you've come." Cloud said "Fly up high and do the routine as practiced." With that she took off and flew straight up. Soon the whole of Equestria was beneath her. She did a couple of loops then went into a nose dive. Cloud was at the ready to catch her with a large cloud. He knew she wouldn't achieve the Sonic Rainboom on this run, but he needed to see the progress non the less anyway. As Dash continued her rapid descent, a small cone started to form in front of her. She then got too tired to maintain the speed. She lost the cone and shortly after crashed into the cloud. "Not bad Dash!" Cloud said, "A little more training, and you'll be doing Rainbooms in your sleep!"

Training then resumed after that, Rainbow Dash now pushing harder than ever to be strong enough to prove the legend true. She wanted nothing less than to BE a legend. Another couple of weeks of training and Dash was becoming a faster, more agile flier. She often out flew everypony in almost all the events. Her only challenge coming from her friend Lightning Ace, to whom she had become a rival of. Every event and exercise usually came to the same climax. Rainbow and Lightning would outfly everyponyelse. They would then often finish the event with a photo finish, literally winning by a nose. The wins would go back and forth, Lightning then Dash, Lightning then Dash. And this only hardened the rivalry more. Rainbow Dash didn't care though. Training was the only thing on her mind now.

to be continued...