• Published 17th Nov 2016
  • 4,430 Views, 3,106 Comments

The Mask Makes the Pony - kudzuhaiku



Flicker Nicker has joined the Rat Catcher's Guild. He's rather good at it, but wants to be better.

  • ...
28
 3,106
 4,430

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 62

Donut Joe’s was going through a lull. It was funny, before meeting Piper and Hennessy, this was just another place for Flicker, one place of many, but now, it seemed to be the place. A small mountain of crispy, glazed and unglazed crullers sat in the middle of the table, along with some frosted donuts, some cream-filled, and some jelly-filled. A thermal carafe filled with strong, rich coffee had been left at the table for the trio, and a pitcher of cream.

A small fortress of sugarcubes sat in the middle of the table, made by Piper, and she was now constructing a monstrous donut-creature. Hennessy, a cup of coffee gripped in his fetlock, watched Piper with great interest, while Flicker just stared out the window, distracted and out of sorts.

There were only two other patrons at Donut Joe’s, an earth pony wearing a hideous, tacky tropical print shirt and a donkey that spoke with a curious, southwestern Equestrian accent. The both of them spoke in hushed tones and the donkey kept prodding the earth pony with her hoof while making loud, indignant snorts.

Piper crammed the donut-creature she made into her mouth and it squirted red, sticky jelly everywhere as she tore its guts open. Hennessy rolled his eyes, shifted in his seat, and then looked over at Flicker, who was still staring out the window. Reaching over, he prodded Flicker to get his attention.

“Hey,” Hennessy said in a low voice, “stop looking so glum, you passed. It’s all over and all you’ve got to worry about now is fencing. I can help you build a fence.”

Chortling, Piper had glaze and sticky red goop go dribbling down her chin, which she wiped away with a napkin. Flicker however, had no response other than looking at Hennessy with a blank stare. After a moment, Flicker shook his head and resumed looking out the window. Sighing, Hennessy poked Flicker again with his hoof, determined not to give up on somehow making Flicker feel better.

“So what kind of a fencer is Moonlit anyhow?” Hennessy asked. “Is he like you, a hard hitter?”

Still staring out the window, Flicker responded, “He’s quick and fast. He doesn’t hit very hard. His telekinesis isn’t very strong, but he has a ridiculously long range for his magic, which I lack.”

“Range?” Hennessy looked confused as he drew his head back and his ears angled over his eyes as deep creases appeared in his brows.

“Unicorns have different ranges,” Flicker replied as he turned his head to glance over at Piper. “I have a very small radius for my magic before it loses potency. But in my small radius, I have a lot of telekinetic strength.”

“Which we’ve all seen,” Piper remarked as she cleaned the last bit of red jelly from her chin.

“Moonlit, he has a very large radius of potency, giving him an extended reach, but he doesn’t have a lot of strength. He’s fast though, very, very fast, and that makes me nervous. He hasn’t figured out how to teleport his weapon yet, though, so I have that going for me.”

“I wonder what sort of fencer I’ll be…” Piper let out a huff, inhaled deep, held it, and then let it out in another long, drawn out huff. “You know, at first, I didn’t see the point of fencing as a unicorn, but I think I’m catching on. It helps you find your limits and hone your magic. It isn’t spellcasting, but it is still pretty useful.”

“There are things that will resist your magic.” Flicker’s voice was low and flat as he spoke. “There are awful things in the sewers, things birthed by foul alchemical waste and magical pollutants in the sewer. Dangerous things that are far, far worse than rats. I’ve seen some things.” As he spoke, he thought of the spider-hag; that hadn’t come from the sewer, but it had certainly left a lasting impression on him. There were awful things in the world, just waiting to be discovered.

“So, Moonlit is fast.” Hennessy looked thoughtful and he studied Flicker, his eyes lingering on the colt as he looked him up and down. “And this makes you equal fencing partners somehow?”

“I guess, Mister Balister seems to think so. Moonlit and I are both considered mid-range in our skill.” Flicker slumped down in his seat a bit and his black coat rumpled. “I don’t feel good about this match”—the colt shook his head from side to side—“only one of us can win, the other loses, and the loser takes a hit to their grade. I like Moonlit and I don’t want to do that to him.”

“Oh… that sounds… well, I don’t know, but I don’t like how that sounds.” Piper’s expression soured as she lifted up her coffee cup and she blinked as she slurped some of the pale brown liquid from her cup.

“It is supposed to teach us grace in losing and loss.” Flicker shrugged a bit and his ears pivoted forwards. “We can’t always win or be victorious. And when Moonlit and I have a go at one another, somepony will have to lose. I don’t like it, but I understand why it is done this way. As Mister Pepper says, there is a lesson in everything. I can be a gracious loser if I have to be, but I don’t want to lose. At the same time, I don’t want Moonlit to lose, because he’s not a bad sort.”

“I don’t like losing,” Piper confessed, “and I don’t think I could be gracious about it.”

“So, this fencing, it’s just swords banging together, and no magic?” Hennessy asked

“No direct magical attacks,” Flicker replied.

“But indirect ones are allowed?” Piper now looked curious.

“Yes, but they are frowned upon.”

“But they are allowed.” Piper clopped her front hooves together, which made Flicker’s ears perk. A devious grin appeared on Piper’s face and she rubbed her front hooves together as her own ears splayed out sideways.

“I prefer to have an honourable duel,” Flicker said in a cold deadpan as he focused his steely gaze on Piper.

Shrugging, Piper replied, “And I prefer to win. To each their own.”

Eyes narrowing, Flicker poured himself some coffee, refilling his cup, all while he stared at Piper, scowling at what she had said. He added a little cream and a sugarcube to his coffee, stabbed in his spoon, and gave it a good stir. Across the table, Hennessy made an impressive slurp from his own cup of coffee, a slurp so loud that Donut Joe himself glanced over at the trio.

Fearing that his friends might bicker, Hennessy changed the subject as he put down his cup on the table. “Doctor Sterling tells me that I still can’t see my mom. She’s in the asylum wing of the hospital and she’s having something called delirium tremens. He says she’s not herself at all right now. I’m worried.”

The tension vanished as both Piper and Flicker stopped staring at one another and instead they focused on Hennessy. The earth pony colt now looked both relieved, a bit sad, and a whole lot worried as he sucked in a deep breath.

“They’re trying a new experimental treatment,” Hennessy continued, his eyes dropping and focusing on the sugarcube fortress in the middle of the table. “They drain out all of her blood and give her fresh blood from a donor. Doctor Sterling says that he is hopeful that she’ll respond well to it.” Hennessy’s barrel hitched and he looked up at his friends. “I just want her well… I left everything behind me, everypony and everything, and I just want her well.”

“Experimental treatment?” Piper’s voice was now thick and a little husky with concern.

“It reduces the cost,” Hennessy replied as he squirmed in his seat. “This is gonna cost me. I could’ve had her put in the poorhouse asylum, but they don’t do much in the way of treatment there, so Doctor Sterling talked with some ponies that he knows and a deal was made where some of my wages will be docked for a long, long time. I’m fine with that.”

Looking disheartened, Piper crammed a whole unglazed cruller into her mouth and began chewing, her ears rising and falling with the movement of her jaw. Following her example, Hennessy did the same, only somehow managing to cram not one, but two crullers into his mouth. There was much lip smacking as he chewed and he drummed his hooves on the edge of the table.

There was a loud gulp when Piper swallowed, and she looked around at her fellow companions with bright, excited eyes. Sucking in a deep breath, she bounced up and down in her seat, overcome with exuberance as she had a most wonderful idea.

“We should all go out tonight and see a concert,” she blurted out. “Well, that is if the concert is still on after everything that’s happened and we can somehow still get tickets, that is. That might be the tricky part, getting tickets. Octavia is putting on a show. I’ve been dying to see her live and in pony.”

Flicker groaned and rolled his eyes. When he did, Piper slugged him right in the shoulder while Hennessy watched in wide-eyed astonishment. Flicker, turning his head, gave Piper an icy stare, but did not retaliate, as his stare was more than enough.

“Don’t be a boob,” Piper said, chiding Flicker. “This could be wonderful for all of us, and I think Hennessy could use some cheering up as well.”

Glowering at Piper, Flicker’s eyes blazed with dangerous inner fires and his nostrils flared. “I suppose this might be a way to satisfy Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and Apple Bloom,” he muttered, “and try to develop some interests with my friends.”

There was a whinny from Hennessy and it turned into a chuckle. He watched his friends, his eyes glittering with amusement, and after chuckling for a bit, he gave a nod. “I’d like to see a concert. Maybe Flicker and I could sit together and he could hold my fetlock.”

As Flicker turned his baleful stare upon Hennessy, Piper let out a squeal and said, “Let’s finish up these donuts and then let’s go and see if there are still tickets for sale.” This caused another groan from Flicker, which the over-excited and happy filly ignored. Lifting her coffee cup, she gulped down the contents and then began cramming her mouth full of donuts, in a race to outdo Hennessy, who had a fantastic lead.

Flicker’s hard expression softened and with a turn of his head, he resumed looking out the window. His horn glowed with a faint, soft light and he lifted up an unglazed cruller. He ate it with small, polite bites, interspersed with sips of coffee. One ear twitched when Piper oinked, making fun of Hennessy and his eating.

While the others were clearly excited and happy with the prospect of a concert, Flicker just looked bored.


The urbane canyons of Canterlot were a strange place at times, ever-changing and odd. Riots could happen one day and a day later the streets could be a snarl of traffic as a cargo convoy hauled a load of precious, priceless ambergris to a perfumery. The wagon convoy had a group of protectors from the Guardian’s Guild that Flicker recognised. He didn’t know them by name, but he had met them on a couple of occasions now.

As he and his companions tried to find a way around the traffic, Flicker could not help but feel that there was something menacing right beneath his hooves, lurking below, down in the dark, maybe below the sewers. The sewers were a strange place, an actual maze, and were constructed from the ruins of the old Canterlot. A long time ago, when the city was still new, there had been an earthquake. No one was quite certain of the cause, some blamed mining in the mountain, others blamed magic, but the damage done to the city was catastrophic.

Much of it had fallen down into a sinkhole and other parts just fell over. The parts that had fallen over had been pushed into the sinkhole to fill it and now, the undercity of Canterlot was a strange, strange place indeed, filled with curious warrens made of the bones of old buildings. Old tower sections formed cisterns that held stormwater and sewage. The rooms of old mansions could still be found, somewhat intact. In his many excursions into the sewers, Flicker had seen some strange things, and there were even ponies that lived down there.

Down there, the rats thrived.

Far below in the confusing maze, there were no doubt thousands of openings and passageways to the old mines and Flicker had heard stories that the Canterhorn had been completely hollowed out by ponies greedy for gems. For Flicker, it was a nightmare scenario. Who knew what enemies might be lurking below, waiting to strike the city?

But he couldn’t sit and brood about it because he was expected to go to a concert and have a nice time. There wasn’t much he could do, he was just one pony, if he did go down there alone, he would get himself killed and he knew it. But it didn’t stop him from thinking about it and the ways to solve the problem.

Pumping vast quantities of gas down there would be stupid; the gas would leak and the ponies of Canterlot would suffer. The city would need to be evacuated, which was possible, but that would cause a panic. Ponies panicked too much and Flicker felt a fundamental sadness as he contemplated this fact. His species was prone to fits of stupidity when massed together and herd-think ruled the day.

Shaking his head, Flicker fought back a sneeze. Ambergris… what need did ponies have for whale vomit, anyhow?

Author's Note:

You know, it is surprisingly difficult to write a scene where teenagers act like teenagers, I kid you not. The urge to go meta is just too strong.

PreviousChapters Next