• Published 17th Nov 2016
  • 4,430 Views, 3,106 Comments

The Mask Makes the Pony - kudzuhaiku



Flicker Nicker has joined the Rat Catcher's Guild. He's rather good at it, but wants to be better.

  • ...
28
 3,106
 4,430

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 18

Engrossed in study, Flicker focused the entirety of his mind upon taking in information. Hennessy and Piper, after having themselves a light meal, were both asleep. Flicker had been given free reign to do whatever, so he had chosen to study, and study hard. He approached study like he approached everything else; he threw himself at it and would smash himself against it until he succeeded.


Unbeknownst to him, the door opened and a lone pony entered. Flicker remained hyper-focused upon his book on chemistry and alchemy, fearing that he would fail his candle exam. There was just too much pressure and Flicker was beginning to feel a little worry. He had a lot riding on this, his entire future, and after many, many failures, he had to do better.


“Hello Flicker… need some help?”


Lifting his head, it took Flicker several long seconds to process what he was seeing. He gave Night Light a blank stare before he responded, “Uh, Mister—”


“Night Light, if you please. Mister Light sounds so ridiculous, don’t you agree?”


“I was just starting to study,” Flicker said to Night Light as the middle aged stallion sat down on the other side of the table.


“Well then, I arrived just in time.” Night Light smiled and looked very pleased with himself. “I have a gift for alchemy and I know that I can help you. So, what are we studying, Flicker?”


Flicker’s brain took several long seconds to organise all of the relevant facts and get them ready. “I was just starting to read about pyrethroids.”


“Ah, yes… and where does one find the pyrethroid compounds that Wicked uses in his candles?” Night Light leaned forwards over the table and there was an intense look of concentration in his eyes. “Come on, Flicker, don’t disappoint me. There are many who believe you are stupid, I am not one of them. You are methodical, Flicker, slow, careful, calculating, but not stupid.”


When his mouth went dry, Flicker licked his lips and wished that he wasn’t in so much pain. It made it very difficult to concentrate and his slowness seemed even more pronounced. “We harvest chrysanthemums and extract the compounds we need. Botanists have grown special chrysanthemums with mild, but useful magical properties, making them both chemical and alchemical in nature.”


“Very good, Flicker.” Night Light looked pleased. “Now, tell me, Flicker, why are the pyrethroids important in the creation of pesticidal candles?”


Blinking several times, Flicker’s brain pulled up all of the important information requested, but it took a while. He was good at killing things, gassing things, and setting things on fire. This fell under the category of ‘gassing things’ and was valuable information. Somewhere in the depths of his brain, in the deep, dark places where Princess Luna might be amused or terrified to go looking, construction was taking place on a filing spot for ‘exploding things.’ The first entry was filed under B, for bears.


“Excitotoxins. Pyrethroids are excitotoxins that affect the axons. They force the voltage-gated sodium channels in the axonal membranes to remain open in an excited state. It’s a membrane protein with hydrophilic properties. It breaks down partially charged water molecules from a sodium ion, allowing the sodium ion to enter the axon and aids in action potential.”


“Okay, keep going.” Night Light gave the colt a broad smile of encouragement.


“Under the effects of an excitotoxin, the channels are forced to remain open, they cannot repolarise, leaving the membrane depolarised, which causes paralysis in the affected organism.” Flicker sighed—gassing stuff was a very detailed file—and he was certain that he had most of the right information. His suspicions were confirmed by Night Light’s pleased nodding. “The fleas and other insect pests stop moving and can’t flee from the gas filled area.”


“It occurs me to me that you have the knowledge. I can tell that you’ve been studying under a doctor.” Night Light looked into Flicker’s eyes and continued, “You have an almost encyclopaedic knowledge of toxic compounds and poisons. You hold a remarkable wealth of knowledge for any age or standard. So I don’t think that’s the problem. Chemistry and alchemy… there is an art to them. Cooking up a candle is more than just book learning. How about you and I go to the laboratory and cook up a few single purpose candles just to see how you do? Paralytic agents, dissolving agents, and let’s see if we can make those work. Does that sound good, Flicker?”


That sounded good. Flicker liked the idea. Breaking it down to manageable tasks seemed like a reasonable thing to do. He nodded. “I’d like that. Thank you.”


“Very good, Flicker. Come with me…”


Opening the door to his room, Flicker paused as he looked inside. Piper was awake now, but bleary eyed, and eating an apple as she read a book. He watched as she stopped reading and looked at him. Glancing around the room, he saw Hennessy, also reading a book, a dictionary. Spud was doing his best rug impression on the floor in front of the window.


Nostrils crinkling, Piper whined, “You smell dreadful!”


“There was a fire,” Flicker said and he did not go into further details, he just shut the door behind him. In pain all over, he staggered over to his bunk, crawled in, and then lay in a heap as he wished that his mother was here to comfort him. She would know how to make all of this better somehow.


“Ugh, you stink!” Hennessy peered down at Flicker from the top bunk.


“I’m not toxic,” Flicker replied, “I was detoxed and Night Light used neutralising magic on me. The stink will wear off in a few hours, or so I was told. The stink of my failure will remind me to do better next time.”


“Just thought you should know, you should check the lost and found for your missing eyebrow.” Hennessy grinned even as his nose crinkled, and his ears perked when Piper started giggling.


“Oh, I know where my eyebrow went.” Flicker, who didn’t get the joke, closed his eyes and let out a sigh. His whole body ached and he was tired.


“How do you do it?” Piper asked. “Half of your body is a bruise and it is clear that you are in terrible pain, yet you go off and study?”


“The plague never takes a day off.” Flicker rolled over, kicked around, and managed to pull his blanket over him after pulling it out from beneath him. Yawning, he closed his eyes and hoped that his companions would be quiet, so that he could sleep.


Spud, who noticed that his favourite pony was in a warm, comfortable bed, lept up to join him.


Reaching out his forelegs, Flicker pulled Spud closer and cuddled his not-so-cuddly feline friend. Spud’s purring sounded like a chainsaw’s upper limit rev cycle and his fat, club-like tail thumped against the mattress. Flicker, in a rare display of affection, muzzle-nuzzled the mutant almost-cat-creature he held in his warm embrace.


In her bed, Piper somehow managed to look both disgusted and sappy as she watched Flicker and Spud exchange affection.


The dull, throbbing ache in his dock and his testicles made it difficult for Flicker to sit down. He was groggy, disoriented, and no doubt, dehydrated. There were a lot of things that Flicker didn’t know, like what time it was, how long he had slept, or what sort of mood Doctor Sterling was in. If he had to guess, it was sometime after the noon hour.


The frock coat was now a comfortable companion, even if it was just a little too big.


Piper, who was sitting to his left, was reading a book, and Hennessy, who sat on his right, was drawing something on a sheet of yellowed parchment paper. Doctor Sterling, who sat across from him at the table, was reading the newspaper. The four of them were waiting for tea, and Flicker hoped that there would be food as well.


Blinking, Flicker read the newspaper headline, which was in big, bold letters. BRAT PRINCE BATTLES BUREAUCRATS! CROWN GOVERNMENT BROUGHT TO A STANDSTILL! Something about the headline annoyed him, irritated him, no, even worse, it made him angry. He felt it was disrespectful, rude, and there was only one way to deal with rudeness and disrespect.


A good hard slap across the muzzle and a demand for satisfaction.


“Mister Nicker, are you okay?” Piper closed her book and put it down. “You’re breathing heavy and you look quite put out.”


“I don’t like what I’m seeing,” Flicker replied.


Confused, Piper began to look around, she looked at Hennessy, who was harmless and inoffensive as far as she could tell, she checked herself, and then she looked over at the doctor. Her brows rose as it dawned upon her that it was the newspaper that was the source of Flicker’s seeming distress.


“Ponies have the right to protest—”


“No, they don’t.” Flicker turned his heavy gaze upon Piper, who shrank back. “The Crown knows best. Ponies need to do as they are told, when they are told. If everypony did what they wanted, civilisation would fall. There would be anarchy. The Crown are our parents and we are very much like their offspring. We must respect, honour, and obey.”


The newspaper was closed, folded, and Doctor Sterling’s mustached face appeared. He focused upon Flicker for a time, and then looked over at Piper as one eyebrow rose. Piper, under the doctor’s serious scrutiny, squirmed in her seat and stared down at the floral printed tablecloth where her book rested.


“I never said that ponies had a right to protest in a way that brings harm to others,” Piper said in a squeaky, fearful voice, “but they do have a right to protest peacefully. And… and I bet I could change your mind on this issue, Mister Nicker.”


“This I’d like to see,” Doctor Sterling remarked.


Flicker, glowering, said nothing at all.


“When a foal cries, it is because they can’t always say when something is wrong, like if they need a diaper change, or they are hungry, or if they are just in need of comfort.” Piper gulped and with a slow turn of her head, she looked Flicker in the eye. “A foal has to be able to communicate with their parents somehow, even if that communication is crying, which grates upon the nerves and causes no end of frustration.”


“Hmm.” Hennessy, looking thoughtful, continued drawing.


“Now, when a foal is older, they can talk. They can reason. They can expressly communicate when something is wrong. To continue the parent to foal analogy, Mister Nicker, imagine if you will a parent tells a foal to go to bed. The foal does so, but after being in bed for a time, they are thirsty. We’ll go even further and say that there is something wrong with the foal, perhaps they have a mild fever, or a tummy ache, but something is wrong. Now, if they were to lay there in bed, doing exactly what they had been told, their condition might worsen… they might become even sicker… but if they get up out of bed and tell their parents that something is wrong and that they need a drink of water, is that so terrible? In this instance, disobedience is warranted.”


Flicker’s mind took in this information and began to processes it. Relevant files were called up from the depths and he thought about all of the times that his little sister had come to him for a drink. She wasn’t being willful, or disobedient, or disrespectful to her parents—she was thirsty, and sometimes she was scared, because it was nighttime and nighttime was scary time.


Foals needed a way to express when something was wrong and parents had an obligation to listen. Flicker’s mouth opened in preparation for something, but his mind was still dealing with Piper’s words. Flicker’s hard expression softened as he looked into Piper’s yellow-green eyes.


“I agree with you on principle,” Flicker said in a slow, halting voice. “Asking for a glass of water is fine. Throwing a temper tantrum however, is a whole ‘nother issue entirely and foals that pitch a fit need their ass beat.”


“I… I don’t know if I agree with that.” Piper shook her head. “Maybe the lines of communication broke down. Maybe somepony didn’t listen, and having a tantrum is the only way to get the attention needed on the issue. Maybe something really unfair is going on—”


“Miss Pie, you’re not going to change his mind any further today.” Doctor Sterling reached out and placed his fetlock atop Piper's foreleg, which rested against the table’s edge. “Give it rest and think of another convincing argument if you wish to stand a chance.”


Biting her lip, Piper nodded.


“Order is all we have. Order and organisation is how we hold back the plague. Order must be preserved at all costs, because it has been during times of anarchy and dissent, the breakdown of our valued social order, that the plague has hit us the hardest.” Flicker took a deep, calming breath and thought about pleasant, wonderful order.


“He is correct, Miss Pie. During our last civil war, there was a plague outbreak, and we were unable to combat it properly, due to the danger posed to our agency. Many died needless deaths, from both the war and the plague.” Doctor Sterling pulled his foreleg away and gave Piper a nod. “Just something for you to think about, Miss Pie, so you can understand his perspective.”

Author's Note:

Ya down with DDT? Ya you know me...

Will our budding proto-fascist pull his head out of his own ass? Find out next week! Same rat time, same rat channel!

PreviousChapters Next