• Published 17th Nov 2016
  • 4,425 Views, 3,106 Comments

The Mask Makes the Pony - kudzuhaiku



Flicker Nicker has joined the Rat Catcher's Guild. He's rather good at it, but wants to be better.

  • ...
28
 3,106
 4,425

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 5

Nose buried in his alchemical textbook, Flicker listened as Hennessy struggled to read aloud from a reading primer. The colt knew how to read, but needed practice. His efforts were halting, hesitant, and he stumbled often, but something about the sound of Hennessy reading made Flicker happy. It was the sound of progress and determination.


His ears were wary for any sounds of displeasure from Mister Balister, who was standing in as a teacher while Miss Tweeny was away. Mister Balister, a smart pony if ever there was one, normally taught the use of firearms and crossbows, standard weapons of the guild, but he made for a passable substitute teacher in a pinch. One had to watch one’s ears and backside though, as Mister Balister was fond of motivating students with a swagger stick.


Flicker was stuck studying the nauseating subject of rendering animal fat. It was vile to even think about, but rendered rat fat was one of the primary ingredients in the alchemical candles that made rat killing safe and easy. There was also rat ash, which was mixed with many things to make other things, and Flicker had trouble remembering them all.


“Very good, Mister Walker, I am impressed,” Mister Balister said in a voice softened by a few early morning nips of gin. “You have lifted yourself out from your woefully ignorant backwoods upbringing and your reading skills are passable.”


“Thank you, Mister Balister.” A broad, laid back grin spread over Hennessy’s face.


“I didn’t tell you to stop!” The irritable old pony brought his swagger stick down on Hennessy’s neck, causing the earth pony colt to yelp in pain. “Praise, no matter how delightful or satisfying, is not a reason to stop. Now continue, so that we might purge your hickish ways, Mister Walker!”


Becoming a gentlepony was a painful process, a fact oft lamented by Flicker.


“And you… Mister Nicker, I want you to tell me what you get if you mix an infusion of mandragora officinarum, aetherial infused salts, crushed frost cloves, and garlic grown in Ashland’s ash?” Mister Balister stood with his swagger stick ready.


Lifting his head, Flicker knew he had this one. He cleared his throat, looked his instructor in the eye, and replied, “You get a salve suitable for treating rat bites or bites from other animals with filthy mouths. It has powerful antibacterial and antiseptic properties, and the numbing effect from the frost cloves will ease the pain. The mandragora should deal with any lingering hostile magical effects that the bite might carry, but one should still hurry to a doctor to get the bite treated.”


“Very good, Mister Nicker. Do carry on with your studies.”


Heaving a sigh of relief, Flicker stuck his nose back into his book and continued reading.


Taking the stairs two at a time, Flicker hurried to Mister Chandler’s office. It would soon be lunch time and it smelled like there would be curry today. Flicker didn’t really care about what he ate, so long as there was a lot of it. Behind him, Hennessy followed along, grumbling every step of the way.


“Sumbitch hit me in the same spot three times.”


Three times was getting off light. Flicker knew for certain that Mister Balister was going easy on Hennessy, because Hennessy was new. But the grace period would wear off soon and then things would become quite different. One had to be motivated, or else others would have to motivate you.


“You didn’t get hit once, that ain’t fair,” Hennessy whined in a slow drawl.


At the top of the stairs, Flicker paused and Hennessy almost bumped into him. He turned to face his companion and in a low voice he said, “If you get thumped and you don’t like it, don’t do whatever it is that gets you thumped. I used to think it was unfair too, but then I found out how to make it stop. Now, I don’t get thumped often, but when I do, I deserve it.”


“And I suppose that when you grow up and start teaching the new colts in the guild, you’ll be a thumper?” Annoyed, Hennessy squinted one eye and glared at Flicker as his nostrils flared.


“Probably,” Flicker replied without hesitation. “If it worked to straighten me out, why change it? If it isn’t broke, why bother fixing it?” After a moment’s pause, Flicker added, “If you keep saying ‘ain’t’ around certain ponies, you’re going to be thumped a whole lot more until it stops.”


“That ain’t right, I can’t help the way I talk.” Hennessy’s tail swished from side to side and he shook his head. “Why should it matter how I talk?”


“Because, we are consummate professionals and sometimes, we go into the homes of the wealthy and well to do. They have certain standards and we are obligated to hold ourselves to those standards. We are part of a proud and noble profession. We might slog through sewers, but we are learned ponies.”


For a second, Hennessy appeared as though he was going to unload an angry retort, but he remained silent and held it in. After a time, he nodded, and then in a frustrated voice he said, “That I understand. It’s like how I want ponies to know that country don’t mean dumb. If I do something dumb, I want you to kick me.”


“Okay.”


“In a friendly way.”


“Okay.”


“I’m starting to have second thoughts ‘bout what I just said.” Hennessy, standing on the edge of the stairs, now looked apprehensive. “Now that I’ve had myself a chance to think about it, you strike me as the type that would kick the crap outta me and call it friendly, ‘cause it was for my own good.”


Flicker did not respond.


“I dunno what to make of you… you ain’t like other ponies.”


Without further ado, Flicker kicked Hennessy and almost sent the colt tumbling down the stairs. It was for his own good, saying ‘ain’t’ was only going to get him trouble, and before Hennessy could take a tumble, Flicker grabbed him with his magic. Fearing for his own hide, once he had Hennessy on his hooves, Flicker hurried off to Mister Chandler’s office.


“Oy, ‘Ennessy, Flicker, so glad you finally decided to show up. ‘Ave a nice ‘eart to ‘eart in the ‘allway?” Wicked had a wicked grin upon his face as he faced the two colts who stood in his doorway. He took a few steps towards them, stopped, and cocked his head off to one side. “There’s been a change in plans and I’m about to give ye two an assignment.”


Looking solemn, Flicker lifted his head high and stood there with an expectant expression upon his face. Beside him, Hennessy had an easy going smile upon his face. The difference between the two colts was as plain as night and day.


“Now, normally, I’m not too much of a stickler or a 'ard one, but I need to make this clear right up front. If you mess this up, I’m going to ‘ave ye flogged and I’ll be doing it myself.” Mister Chandler’s brows beetled and several deep wrinkles appeared around his muzzle. “We’ll be getting a new apprentice… a filly, and I don’t have space to put ‘er in her own room unless I want to keep ‘er in a closet. She’ll be bunking with ye lads, and so ‘elp me, if ye do anything to ‘er, I’ll give you such a doing!”


“Wicked, it won’t be a problem—”


“Quiet, Sterling, and let me make my point!”


“Wicked, I assure you, it will not be problem.” Standing up, Doctor Sterling crossed the room while making relaxed strides. “You’ll just have to trust me on this one, Wicked.”


Scowling, Wicked turned his heated gaze upon Doctor Sterling while the two colts shuffled. The two older stallions sized each other up, stared each other in the eye, and a silent contest of wills was engaged. Flicker watched it with an impassive stare, while Hennessy tensed up and appeared uncomfortable.


“Wicked, I give you my solemn word as a gentlepony in good standing with the guild that these two colts can be trusted.” Doctor Sterling cleared his throat and then looked Hennessy in the eye for a moment before returning his attention to Wicked. “Should anything happen, which I am confident that it will not, you may have me flogged instead.”


“Aye, I’ll do that. The three of ye.” Wicked coughed and backed down from his friend and associate. “She was supposed to go to the Manehattan branch, but Princess Luna overruled that. The wee lass is to study ‘ere, with us. She’ll be ‘ere later today and she’s to go off with ye lot on yer mission.”


“Wicked, I understand your reservations. I know there have been problems in the past and you want to keep the guild professional. You need to relax and trust me.” Doctor Sterling once more focused a stern gaze upon the two colts that stood waiting nearby. In a much lower voice, he said to Wicked, “Mister Nicker is an honourable sort that will follow any order you give him without question, and Mister Walker is, well, Wicked, he’s like me.”


“What?” Wicked took a step away, gave himself a shake, and then squinted at Hennessy. The old stallion stood there, silent for a time, and then he turned his wary gaze back to Sterling Shoe. “I see. Well then… carry on.” Saying nothing else, Wicked pushed past the two colts, threw open his door, and stormed out of his own office, leaving two colts and one doctor behind.


Flicker, mystified, had no idea what was going on or what the good doctor meant when he said that Hennessy was like him. The doctor was a unicorn and Hennessy was an earth pony. He was certain that there was something else, but he was missing it, which made him feel just a little bit dense.


“Now, both of you, listen to me, and you hang upon my every word or I shall hang you both by your balls, do you understand me?” Doctor Sterling towered over the two colts with an uncharacteristic sternness.


Both colts nodded as their ears drooped.


Grimacing, the doctor began to pace, but never took his eyes off of the two colts. “In Baltimare, there was an incident with a young female guild member and one of the older apprentices. He took advantage of her. It reflected poorly upon all of us and the head of the Baltimare guild was asked to step down. Wicked doesn’t want the same thing happening here.”


Waiting, Flicker stood as still as a statue while he thought about what the doctor said.


“You are going to treat her with all of the respect that she is due as a member of the fairer sex. You are going to keep her safe. You will treat her like a sister, your baby sister, and if any of the older apprentices or guild members even look at her in a way that makes you feel squirmy, I want the two of you to kick the stuffing out of whomever does it.” Doctor Sterling pointed his hoof at Flicker. “You, especially. You hold nothing back. Since passing your last test, you’ve earned the right to bear arms. You may now carry your sword with you at all times, and you will be receiving firearms training soon enough. I want you to keep her… and Hennessy, safe.”


If Flicker felt anything, his face didn’t show it. He stood there, stoic, and still as a statue.


“Am I in danger?” Hennessy asked. “This is Canterlot…”


Still silent, Flicker began to wonder why Hennessy would be in any sort of danger.


“Hennessy, not all of our esteemed members come from Canterlot, and even Canterlot ponies can be bigots. Just be careful, okay? Stick with Flicker and you’ll be fine. Just be cautious, that’s all.” Doctor Sterling’s face contorted with worry. “Boys, we have to protect Mister Chandler’s reputation. We can’t have him stepping down. The guild needs him.”


“I can carry my sword around now,” Flicker murmured to himself.


Clearing his throat, Doctor Sterling shuffled on his hooves and then let out a little sigh of relief. “Come on, both of you. Time for some instruction in the equinities. Let us retire to the gallery so that we might discuss the nourishment of the soul.”


“What’s this ‘equinities’ stuff?” Hennessy asked.


“Culture,” Doctor Sterling replied. “Music, art, and theatre.”


“Boring stuff,” Flicker grumbled.


“Quiet, you.” The doctor’s voice was cutting. “I will make a gentlepony and a scholar out of you if it kills me, so help me.”


“Sounds a whole lot better than a boring reading primer.” Hennessy smiled, relaxed, and looked up at Doctor Sterling. “I love to paint, but I didn’t get much of a chance to do it often. Sometimes, I’d draw in the dust or the mud with a stick.”


“Wonderful!” Doctor Sterling’s face lit up with his smile. “Perhaps together, we can convince young Mister Nicker the value of art…”

Author's Note:

The names have meaning.

PreviousChapters Next