• Published 17th Nov 2016
  • 4,430 Views, 3,106 Comments

The Mask Makes the Pony - kudzuhaiku



Flicker Nicker has joined the Rat Catcher's Guild. He's rather good at it, but wants to be better.

  • ...
28
 3,106
 4,430

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 37

The guildhall had a strange, almost menacing atmosphere for Flicker. There was disorder here, chaos, there was fighting and bickering here when there should have been copacetic unity. There was no mistaking it, there was a new threat and potentially a new type of plague had manifested; because of this, now everypony had their own idea of how to fix it or what to do about it.


Flicker understood though; Fillydelphia was a city of almost a million and a half ponies.


Maybe more.


The total population of rats was unknown; incalculable.


Pacing about his room, in which there was no longer very much room to pace, Flicker became acutely aware that he was ten years of age and the problems he was facing were very adult problems. There was nothing he could do about them, the only thing he could do was kill rats, that was the beginning and the end of what he was capable of. Killing undead rats though, that was the stickler. His own blades had no silver, they were just plain old steel. The young colt didn’t even have a clue how much silver weapons might cost.


The pressure continued to build, unabated.


When Flicker could no longer stand the feeling of chaos welling up around him, he stopped mid-step and ceased his pacing to announce, “We’re going out. All of us. Yes, you too, Piper, so that I might keep you safe.”


“We is all going on a date?” Hennessy asked.


That was a brilliant idea. “Yes. We’re going to the Chapel of Night, just as planned.” Flicker allowed his mind to make a reasonable plan, and he spent several long seconds doing so. “We’ll go down the back stairs, the circular stairs, and out the back door. If we’re lucky, we’ll slip off without being noticed.”


“So, we’re sneaking out?” Hennessy’s muzzle brightened with the hint of a smile.


“No.” Flicker sounded very stern. “I am free to come and go as I please, and following the rank of seniority, I am free to tell the two of you what to do. You two are not allowed to come and go as you please, but the two of you are expected to obey my commands or face discipline. So, we are going, and we are doing so in a quiet, expedient manner, without attracting the attention of others.”


“Expedient,” Hennessy drawled, having just a little trouble with the word. “Practical action, but maybe improper or immoral. I was just reading that in the dictionary.”


“Very good, Mister Walker.” Piper smiled. “I am proud of you.”


Snatching up the extra pieces of his coat, Flicker made ready to leave.


The springtime night in Canterlot was almost unseasonably cold and Flicker was thankful for a coat to wear. A freezing mist had come off of the waterfall and now much of the city was glazed over in ice, which made the cobblestones treacherous. While Flicker had remarkable balance and poise for his age, he didn’t deal with ice very well.


In fact, he didn’t deal with ice at all and would have fallen several times had Piper not caught him. He suspected that Piper had cast some spell on her hooves to give her secure traction, but he couldn’t be sure. Hennessy also did well, but Hennessy was an earth pony walking on cobblestones.


The route to the cemetery was all downhill, as the cemetery was in the lowest section of Canterlot. Coming home, it would be all uphill, and maybe even more treacherous with the temperature dropping. The freezing mist was becoming a freezing fog, and everything glittered in the warm glow of the streetlights.


The trip was made all the worse by Piper’s incessant giggling, and Flicker knew that she found his near-pratfalls hilarious. In silence, Flicker plotted all of the ways that he would get even with Piper, as she needed to suffer. Oh yes, she needed to suffer. There would be much suffering, and all of that suffering would be centered upon her.


A cloaked figure moved about in the cold, huffing out clouds of steam, and behind them, a much smaller cloaked figured followed, trying not to slip and slide on the ice. Life went on in Canterlot, and living up over a mile in the sky was no excuse. Errands had to be done and tasks had to be completed.


When the Chapel of Night came into view, Flicker came to a clumsy halt to have a better look. Two statues of draconic pegasus ponies stood on each side of the door, silent stone guardians to greet all those who might enter. The building itself was a small, skinny looking tower made of blue-grey stone. At the top of the tower, a pyre burned, a massive burning fire that acted like a beacon in the night, intended to draw in nocturnal pegasus ponies like a moth to a flame.


Flicker hoped that it would be warm inside.


The statue of Princess Luna was not what Flicker expected, causing him to stare, dumbfounded. He expected to see Princess Luna in a magnificent, majestic pose, something dominating, something fierce. What he got was a cowering Princess Luna, her head down, an agonised expression of fear upon her face. This Princess Luna looked vulnerable, exposed, and something about the sight of her clawed at his heart. Her wings were out, as if she was shielding herself from some awful abuse. At the bottom, on the base, there was a silver plaque that read, For my wife and best friend, I do hope you will forgive me for my choice.


The chapel was empty; either Princess Luna wasn’t too popular or it was just too cold for a nighttime visit to this solemn place. Flicker stood there, trying to take it all in, and as he did so, Hennessy plopped down in front of the statue. The earth pony colt bowed his head and closed his eyes. Piper did the same, but after she gave herself a shake. She sat down beside Hennessy, scooted up against his shaggy side, seeking warmth, closed her eyes, and bowed her head.


Moving with an almost regal slowness, Flicker joined his companions and sat down on the other side of Hennessy, sliding the rain cape of his coat beneath him so his bare bottom wouldn’t sit upon the cold stone. He looked up at the statue, taking it all in, the wide, terrified, pleading eyes, the open mouth, lips that if one stared at them in just the right way, one might swear that they were quivering. This was the forgotten, unloved sister, the one with the thankless job of keeping the world safe from the things that lurked in the dark.


Flicker felt a kinship with her, it kindled in his barrel, a tiny flame that ignited and began to burn. In his mind, he thought about how Princess Luna wore a mask, and this statue before him, this was the real Luna with her mask stripped away. A pony like any other, vulnerable to insecurities, to fears, to doubts, a pony that had been left all alone to do her job in the dark.


Had her mask consumed her?


The thought terrified Flicker, and he began to shiver as his skin crawled. He had his own darkness to face, his own mask to wear, and a thankless job of his own to perform. His cutie mark had already almost swallowed him, consumed him, and it was only recently that he realised how much of himself he had lost. Blinking, he wondered what might happen if he became a hollowed out shell of himself. What might Nightmare Nicker be like?


For Flicker, the thought was as serious as the grave, and a part of him felt just as empty.


The first tear dribbled down his cheek as he stared up into the statue’s terrified eyes. This Luna understood. This Luna spoke to him. This Luna battered through all of his defenses and he saw his own soul mirrored in her affrighted countenance. Like him, she would have to put on the mask and soldier on, she would have to put aside her fears, her doubts, her insecurities, she would have to become the Night Lady, Luna, Princess of the Night.


Beside him, he heard the muffled sobbing of Hennessy, and Flicker looked over, feeling guilty for watching his friend cry, and feeling as though he had committed some breach of etiquette by keeping his eyes open. Not knowing what to do, Flicker sat there, paralysed, trying to think of the proper protocol for this situation.


“I don’t want to be the outsider no more,” Hennessy mumbled in an almost inaudible whisper as he wept. “It hurts, it hurts so much, take this pain from me!” The colt said more, but his words became unintelligible and inaudible.


His heart breaking, Flicker thought of his father’s words about Hennessy, about having rats in his soul, and Flicker was moved to some emotion, some unknown feeling that left him feeling hollow… empty. He saw Piper’s eyes open and then she was looking at him, making gestures with her hoof, pointing at Hennessy as her lips moved, saying unspoken words that Flicker could not make out.


Gripped by powerful magic, Piper’s magic, Flicker felt his foreleg being lifted, pulled, and then it was draped over Hennessy’s hitching, shuddering withers. The empty ache inside of him subsided just a little and he pulled Hennessy into a hug, trying to comfort him. It was an awkward moment, but also profound, and everything felt better when Piper joined them, also hugging Hennessy.


Taking refuge in Luna’s shadow, Flicker Nicker was swept away by his own emotions…


For some, the cafe’s lighting might be called romantic, but Flicker called it dim. Fragrant steam rose from his oversized mug of vin brulé and left him feeling lightheaded. Hunched over the table, he looked at his companions sitting across from him in the booth. Hennessy was leaning over his own steaming oversized mug, and Piper was eyeing the plateful of vegetable pasties that were sure to be as hot as the surface temperature of the sun.


The cafe had a few patrons, but not many. Flicker had brought his companions here after visiting the Chapel of Night, all of them felt empty, dehydrated, and were in need of comfort. Glancing at the pasties, he knew better than to eat one right now, but he wanted one. Outside, the wind howled as it tore through the canyons of Canterlot.


“Thanks,” Hennessy said in a grating whisper. The colt coughed, cleared his throat, and tried again. “I mean that, thank you. You don’t know what this means to me. Both of you… being my friends and all.”


“Don’t mention it,” Flicker replied as he hunched down into the padded booth seat and pulled his coat tighter around him.


“As far as first dates go, this is better than I could have hoped,” Hennessy added. Sighing, he leaned over onto Piper a bit and stared down at his mug of vin brulé. “I’m finally free to be myself. Now I just need to convince myself to stop being afraid and that I’m safer now.”


“You are safe,” Piper whispered as she pressed herself up against Hennessy.


“I don’t believe that,” Hennessy replied, shaking his head. “The world is full of bigots and the small minded. I ain’t never gonna be safe, the way I reckon it, but I figure I can be safer… and I’m okay with that. I guess. Realistic expectations, and all.”


“Ponyville and Canterlot are full of—”


“We ain’t always gonna be in Ponyville or Canterlot.” Hennessy scowled and shook his head. “I hope I ain’t never gotta go home for a job, or someplace like it.”


“Things are different now,” Piper said as she placed her fetlock on top of Hennessy’s, which rested upon the table. “If you ever have to go home, or to one of ‘those’ sorts of places, you have me… and Lord Death of Murder Mountain. Not to mention Doctor Sterling. When the rats swarmed, just think about how he moved and how he reacted. Those dimwitted dirt clods back home wouldn’t stand a chance.”


Hennessy did not reply, but sat in silence.


Flicker, as brave as he was thick-headed, picked up a vegetable pasty and bit into it. Right away, as the cheesy gravy erupted like magma rushing up to the surface, Flicker let out a whimper and pulled the pasty away. It dribbled bubbling cheesy gravy, green peas, little bits of potato, bright orange carrots, and little pearl onions down Flicker’s chin.


The colt was quick with his napkin and the burns were kept to a minimum. He put the pasty down upon the saucer beside his vin brulé and kept wiping at his chin, scowling, his eyes filled with a thousand promises of murder for the vegetable pasty that had dared to defy him. Across the table, Piper rolled her eyes and snorted.


“I think it’s mocking you,” Hennessy said to Flicker.


“Don’t encourage him,” Piper snapped as she turned to look at Hennessy. “Nopony should ever look at a vegetable pasty like that. It’s unsettling.”


“Yeah, but I like it. Sorta. It makes me feel safe.” Hennessy looked down at the ruptured golden brown pasty that was spilling out bubbling cheesy gravy. “Flicker, he’s scary and all, and my father, he was scary, but Flicker is the sorta scary I can live with. I saw how he was with his sister.”


Flicker, listening to his friends discussing his moods, had nothing to say, but glared down at his pasty in contempt as he lifted his mug. He inhaled the fragrant, spicy steam, was soothed by it, and the thousand promises of murder in his eyes dropped down to a far more manageable number, around five hundred or so.


For Flicker, it was an expression that could almost pass for happy.

Author's Note:

I bet the people who haven't read through the other Weedverse stories might be feeling a little confused.

Good. :trollestia:

PreviousChapters Next