• Published 27th Jun 2012
  • 30,450 Views, 3,552 Comments

Living in Equestria - Blazewing



A young man finds himself in a world beyond his wildest imagination...

  • ...
123
 3,552
 30,450

PreviousChapters Next
On the Way to Recovery

I was experiencing that jumbled feeling of anticipation and nervousness again. I was finally about to step into the hospital to see Trixie once again. I had written a note to let Ironmane know where I would be, in case he stopped by while I was away, and went to collect Applejack. No sooner had she heard what my errand was then she disappeared for a bit, returning with a basket clutched in her teeth, full of ripe, shiny apples. As we made our way to the hospital, I had also taken the opportunity to buy some flowers from Lily, one of the flower mares in the marketplace. It couldn’t hurt, after all.

So there I was, standing at the hospital doors, my insides doing a kind of somersault as I stood resolutely in place. I gave a jump as something touched me, but it was only Applejack nudging my hand with the side of her head. She said something to me, but I couldn’t understand with that basket in her mouth.

“Huh?”

Applejack set the basket down.

“Ah said, you all right, hun?”

“I’m a little nervous, to be honest,” I said. “The last time we met before she got sick, we kinda had an argument. I don’t know if there’s still any hard feelings on her part.”

“Oh, now, don’t go thinkin’ that,” said Applejack. “You got her to the hospital, didn’t ya?”

“Well, yeah.”

“Ah’ll bet she’s right grateful towards you for taking her to get healed up, even after you feuded.”

“You think so?”

“Ah bet so.”

I smiled down at the honest farm mare. She was perfect for counsel like this.

“Thanks, AJ. Now, when we go in to see her, I need to ask you to not freak out.”

Applejack raised an eyebrow.

“Freak out? Why the hay would Ah do that?”

“Well, because the pony you’re about to meet might come as...well, a bit of a shock.”

Applejack just continued to stare at me, then chuckled.

“Listen, Dave, Ah’ve tussled with an evil princess, a spirit of chaos, and a whole heap of shapeshiftin’ bugs. Ah doubt a sick pony in the hospital is gonna make me ‘freak out’.”

She pulled a goofy, cross-eyed face as she said those last two words, making me laugh.

“All right, fair enough. Shall we?”

Applejack picked her basket back up, but before we could go inside, the doors swung open, and we were met with a loud voice shouting,

“GANGWAY!”

The two of us leaped aside in opposite directions as Vinyl Scratch came soaring out on her wheelchair. She screeched to a halt and whipped around to look at us.

“Yo, bro! Hey, Applejack!”

Applejack once more tried to speak, but the basket was in her mouth. She took it out and muttered,

“Consarn it. Dave, can you just hold this for me?”

“Of course, Applejack.”

I took the basket from her, and she rounded on Vinyl.

“Vinyl, what in tarnation were you thinkin’?! You might’ve caused an accident!”

“Sorry, A-jack. I’m just glad to be out of Buzzkill City. They even let me keep the wheelchair! Is that cool or what?”

“It’s only until your leg is healed, Vinyl,” came the refined voice of Octavia as she joined us outside. “Then it goes back to the hospital.”

“Aww, nuts,” groaned Vinyl, crossing her forelegs and pouting.

“Hello, Dave,” said Octavia, turning to me.

“Morning, Octavia. Are you going to be keeping an eye on Vinyl while she heals up?”

“Somepony has to. Celestia knows the damage a crazy unicorn in a wheelchair can do unattended.”

“Hey, Octy! Watch me do a donut!” called Vinyl, and she began trailing around in the grass in a tight circle, whooping and laughing.

“Yes, Vinyl, that’s very nice,” said Octavia, in an offhand voice bordering on annoyance. Her purple eyes then fell on Applejack, and she looked puzzled. “I’m sorry, but do I know you?”

“Ah doubt it,” said Applejack. “Yer from Canterlot, Ah reckon.”

“Er, yes, actually,” said Octavia, who seemed to be caught off guard by Applejack’s countrified accent. “And how did you, er, reckon?”

“Y’all just have that fancy, sophisticated air about ya, like mah friend Rarity.”

“Why, thank you,” said Octavia, “but I swear I’ve seen you before...” Then, all of a sudden, she said, “Yes, of course! You’re the mare who started weeding the grass at the Canterlot Garden Party!”

“Oh,” said Applejack, looking embarrassed. “Heh, yeah, Ah guess Ah did do that. Ah’ve never been to a garden party before.”

“Well, I suppose it’s neither here nor there now,” said Octavia. “It wasn’t the first time that I’ve attended a formal occasion that turned sour, like that disaster of a Gala one year.”

Applejack gulped nervously, but Octavia didn’t seem to notice.

“I swear, if I ever find that pony who made my ensemble, my ensemble, play the Pony Pokey at the Grand Galloping Gala, oh, I shall have some choice words for her!”

She seemed to sense that she was teetering on the edge of ‘vengeful supervillain’ anger, cleared her throat, and adjusted her bowtie.

“Well, I suppose I should be off. Good day to both of you.”

She trotted off to join Vinyl, who had stopped making donuts and who was now reeling in her chair dizzily, but still laughing.

“Whoa, wipeout,” she muttered.

“Honestly...” Octavia muttered as she reared up and began wheeling Vinyl toward town.

“Pony Pokey pony?” I asked Applejack.

“Ah’ll tell ya later,” said Applejack. “Whaddya say we just go in?”

“Yeah, let’s.”

***

When we entered and inquired, Nurse Redheart led us to Room 72, the ward for unicorn ailments and afflictions. When we arrived, we could hear a voice through the door: Trixie’s voice. It sounded like she was telling a story.

“It was a grueling combat. One does not take on a chimera and expect to get out of it with nary a scratch. One tends to focus on its several heads, and forgets about the snake it has for a tail, but even so...”

I heard Applejack gasp behind me.

“Is that...Trixie?”

“Shh!” I shushed her, urgently.

“Trixie's yer sick friend? Why didn’t you say anythin’?”

“Well...” I said, hesitating, “I was worried you girls might still hold a grudge against her, and wouldn’t like the idea that I was visiting her. She’s been living by herself in seclusion ever since she came back, and I’m probably the only one who knows. Well, besides Pinkie, but she’s only been with me to see her once.”

Applejack just stared at me, dumbfounded.

“Please don’t be mad, Applejack,” I pleaded.

“Mad?” Applejack asked, then said, in a kind voice, “Sugar, why would I be mad at you? Ah’m proud of ya for wantin’ to give Trixie a second chance. Ah may still be a teensy bit sore at her for makin’ me and mah friends look like fools, but that’s water under the bridge.”

“Oh, that’s good,” I said, relieved. “I was hoping you’d say that. But Applejack, there’s something I need to ask of you.”

“Anythin’, Dave.”

I gripped her shoulders and said, slowly and deliberately,

“I need your word that you won’t tell anypony about my secret meetings with Trixie. They might consider it a betrayal of trust not to have told them in the first place, especially Rainbow Dash. I have a feeling she’d be the most difficult in letting a grudge pass.”

“Yeah, she would,” said Applejack, meditatively. “You have mah word, Dave.”

“Good,” I said, giving her shoulders a grateful squeeze.

Nurse Redheart opened the door, and we saw that Trixie had...unusual company.

Two other ponies were sitting in front of her bed. One was Screwball, the unusual pony from bowling night, but the other was one I’d never seen before. She was light blue in color, and her white-gray mane was very unkempt. She was wearing what looked like a straightjacket.

Trixie was wide-awake, looking much healthier and much like her great and powerful self. She was wearing a green hospital gown, as well as a copper-colored ring around her horn, which must have been the Moderator.

“-and with one mighty blast of magic, Trixie vanquished the foul chimera to the depths of Ghastly Gorge!”

Screwball clapped her hooves excitedly, while the pony in the straightjacket...barked. Barked like a dog.

Nurse Redheart cleared her throat, and the two kooky ponies looked over. Screwball saw me, gave a slight start, and waved with a shy smile.

“Haven’t I already told you you’re not to be in here?” Nurse Redheart asked, sternly, to Screwball, before turning to the barking pony. “And you! How many times do I have to keep sending you back to your ward? Now, both of you, shoo!”

Barking once again, the blue pony sped past us out the door, while Screwball ambled out more at her ease.

“Hi,” I said, as she passed. She nodded shyly in return.

“I’m terribly sorry about that,” said Nurse Redheart to us. “You always get a few, well, odd sorts when you work at a hospital.” She turned to Trixie as we stepped past. “Miss Lulamoon, you have more guests.”

“Show them in, nurse. Trixie could use an audience capable of coherent response.”

Yep, that sounded like Trixie all right.

As we entered, I noticed some things weren’t quite as one would see in a normal hospital. The legs of the bedside table looked like peppermint sticks, the window glass looked oddly like green Jell-O, and the ceiling looked like it was made of fuzzy carpeting. Something told me Trixie hadn’t gotten over the outbursts caused by Goronide Bolezn, even with a Moderator.

“Hey, Trixie.”

“Dave!” Trixie said, grandly. “Welcome! Trixie’s little ward was lacking for your attentive company.”

“How are you feeling?”

“Much better,” she said. “Certainly more great and powerful than a week ago. I’ve never contracted Goronide Bolezn before, and I shan’t want to ever again. What a nightmare.”

“Yeah, I was told it was really unpleasant. I was worried about you before I even knew what you were sick with.”

Trixie looked at me in surprise.

“You were worried about me?” she asked.

“Of course I was. Why shouldn’t I be?”

Trixie paused for a moment before finally saying,

“I merely thought you might hold our last meeting against me, after the way I treated you. It was not one of my more mature moments.”

Ah. I knew it would come to this.

“Trixie, I had thought that I was the cause of the argument. I was badgering you about going outside when you clearly wanted to be left alone. I should have been more sensitive.”

“Hush,” said Trixie, imperiously, but there was a smile on her face. “The Great and Magnanimous Trixie has already forgiven you. You should be grateful to be given such an honor.”

I couldn’t help it; I broke into a smile. Seeing Trixie much like her old self again was more than I could have asked for. I went to her bedside and placed the flowers on her stand. She noticed them, and her smile broadened.

“Flowers, for me? How very thoughtful. I can’t remember the last time I received flowers. It must have been in one of my last shows before I came to Ponyville for the first time.”

“I really am glad you came out of this ok, Trixie. I’d hated to have lost you.”

“Oho, there’s no getting rid of the Great and Powerful Trixie that easily,” said Trixie. “I truly do appreciate your services in bringing me to be cured, although I do not appreciate this gaudy thing.”

She looked up at the Moderator on her horn. She gave it a poke.

“It feels too tight on my horn, and it itches.”

All of a sudden, a burst of pink magic shot from her horn to her bed sheets, which turned into a giant lollipop. Another blast turned into a giant slice of cheese, then a graham cracker, then an enormous open book, then back to her bed sheets. I was having a hard time keeping my laughter back, and even Applejack was chuckling. This seemed to finally draw Trixie’s attention to her, and she let out a gasp of recognition.

“You!” she said. “I know you! You’re one of Twilight Sparkle’s little pals! You’re the little hayseed I hogtied. I remember that pretty well.”

She looked amused with herself, but I shot her a warning look that wiped away the smile and made her clear her throat awkwardly.

“Yeah, Trixie, Ah remember ya,” said Applejack, “but Ah ain’t here to drag out ancient history. All that was in the past. Besides, if Dave trusts ya, Ah think Ah can too. Ah even brought you a little somethin’ for when you were feeling better.”

She came over and deposited the basket of apples at Trixie’s side. She looked at them quizzically.

“Fresh-picked Red Delicious from our own orchards,” said Applejack. “Go one, try one.”

Trixie picked one up between two hooves and bit into it. After a moment’s considerate chewing. her eyes widened, and she devoured it hungrily.

“Marvelous!” she said, her mouth full, wiping juice from her lips. “A great and powerful treat for a great and powerful pony! It’s a much more welcome change to the drek they serve here in the hospital. They didn’t even tell me what it was, but it tasted vile.”

“Glad ya like it,” said Applejack. “Consider it mah way of saying ‘no hard feelin’s’.”

“I thank you,” said Trixie. “Once I am back to full strength, I shall give the town a full demonstration of my magic. I’ve learned a few new tricks since I was away, ones that are sure to wow even little Miss Sparkle, which reminds me...You, apple-pony!” she suddenly said, pointing to Applejack.

“Applejack,” said Applejack, patiently.

“Whatever,” said Trixie, carelessly. “I want you to deliver a message to Twilight Sparkle. Tell her that Trixie is preparing her return, and that I have something special in store for her when next we meet.”

Applejack did not look pleased upon hearing this, and I sure wasn’t.

“Trixie,” I said, warningly.

“Relax, Dave,” said Trixie. “I merely wish to extend a special...invitation to her, to give her something she shan’t soon forget.”

She said this casually enough, but I couldn’t help but feel like there was a dastardly undertone to it.

“Can you do that for me, Applejake?” asked Trixie.

“Applejack,” Applejack corrected again. “Ah’ll tell her yer back and that you want a word with her when yer out of the hospital.”

“Good, then I dismiss the two of you.”

“Huh?” I asked, a little surprised. “I thought you’d want a little company.”

“Trust me, Dave, I truly appreciate your coming down to see me,” said Trixie, “but I’d rather speak to you when there isn’t a risk of you turning into a lamp post.”

As soon as she said this, her horn zapped out again, turning her bedside lamp into a pineapple.

“See what I mean?”

“Plainly,” I said, unnerved. “All right, Trixie. It was great to see you, and I’m really glad you’re getting better.”

“As am I,” said Trixie. “Until next time.”

Applejack and I left the ward, closing the door softly behind us.

“Hoo-wee,” breathed Applejack. “Ah sure wasn’t expectin’ that. Trixie, back in Ponyville, and wantin’ a word with Twilight. Ah don’t like the sound of that.”

“I’m not exactly feeling confident about it myself, but maybe she really doesn’t mean any malice in what she says. Just remember, AJ, we agreed not to let the others know I’ve been secretly visiting her.”

“Ah know,” said Applejack. “Ah’ll try to remember that when Ah’m telling Twilight about Trixie bein’ in town.”

“Great. Thanks. I feel a lot better having come here with a friend I can count on.”

Applejack smiled and nestled herself against my side.

“Happy to help, sugar. Now, whaddya say we head to Twilight’s?”

“Let’s.”

As we headed down the hallway, however, we were stopped in our path by Screwball and the other pony, who was actually panting like a dog.

“Uh...hi?” I asked, nervously.

The dog-pony crouched, wriggling her matty tail, as if she were about to pounce on me, but Screwball held out a hoof to stop her. The two looked straight into each other’s eyes, and then, remarkably, the dog-pony sat herself down on her rump without another sound, bringing a pleased smile to Screwball’s face. Applejack looked stunned.

“How did ya do that?” she asked.

Screwball looked at her and merely shrugged.

“I guess you ladies are waiting for info on Trixie’s condition?” I asked.

Screwball nodded eagerly, the dog-pony wagged her tail.

“There you are!" said a stern voice. "How many times have I told you?”

Dr. Stable came trotting up, looking displeased.

“Screw Loose, I have told you time and again, you are to stay in your ward until further notice!”

The dog-pony hung her head, whimpering.

“Hey, now, doctor, don’t be too harsh on her,” I said.

“I’m not trying to be,” said Dr. Stable, “but Screw Loose is a rather delicate case. She needs to stay in her ward for her own safety, and for those of the patients.”

Screw Loose’s ears flattened against her skull in a dejected way.

“They just wanted to see how Trixie was doing, like us,” I said.

“Ah. Well, as to that, she’s now fully awake and aware of her outbursts, as you might have seen.”

“Oho, we got a taste of that, doctor,” I said, grimly.

“Well, that should wear off in a minimum of three days.”

“Great. Thanks, doctor.”

“Anytime. Now, Screw Loose, I insist we return to your ward. I’ll get your favorite ball.”

This really seemed to excite Screw Loose, as she barked twice and tore down the hallway. The doctor followed, leaving Screwball by herself, looking awkward.

“Would you like us to walk you home, Screwball?” I asked.

Screwball smiled brightly, and hopped up right beside me on my other side. The funny thing was, she did it statically, without even bending her knees. She just kinda floated and turned around in mid air, like a lazy animation. Applejack continued to look at her quizzically, but said nothing. Together, we made for the front doors.

***

Screwball was...how do I put this?...unusually clingy as we went along. She kept right by my side, nestled up beside me like a faithful dog, and I thought that Screw Loose was the canine-minded one. It was if she was comforted by my very presence, but it felt weird. These ponies had human-like intelligence, so having one acting more animalistic in manner and affection towards me was a little bit jarring. Applejack said nothing, but kept shooting Screwball odd looks, as if she was worried she might explode or something. Nothing really unusual happened, though, except I noticed that her step was unusually springy, as if she were walking on the moon or across a floor made of rubber.

We came all the way to a hill outside of Ponyville, where the weirdest house I had ever seen stood. Its walls were of thatching, its roof of wood. Its ‘door’ was a window, and its ‘windows’ were doors. Its chimney was shooting bubbles into the air. The doormat, unless I was imagining things, read out today’s date. This was the kind of house a Dr. Seuss character would have called home.

“Here?” I asked. “You live here?”

Screwball nodded.

“Well, it’s...nice.”

“Quite a sight,” said Applejack.

Screwball nodded, and made a gesture as if she were asking if we wanted to come inside.

“Oh, we’d love to, but we have another errand to run,” I said. “But I’d definitely love to come visit sometime.”

Screwball looked delighted. She clapped her hooves, making an odd, random noise with each clap (I imagine I heard a rubber ducky squeak, a dog bark, a frog ribbit, and a spring boing). She trotted over to her window of a door, slid the lower pane up, and crawled inside. She was quite a skinny pony, so it was fine for her, but a pony of a slightly larger build might have had better luck getting in through one of the door-windows. The pane slid shut from the inside.

Applejack and I just stood there in stunned silence, unsure of what to say. Finally, we turned and started trekking down the hill.

“She seems like a nice pony,” I said.

“Ah think so too,” said Applejack, “but Ah’ve never seen an odder duck in mah born days.”

“Ok, so maybe she’s a little unusual,” I said, reasonably, “but Caramel told me she was affected worse than everypony else during Discord’s return. She’s probably just having trouble adjusting.”

“Probably.”

We walked in silence for a moment or two, then Applejack asked,

“So, you excited for Nightmare Night comin’ up?”

“Well, sure, even if I don’t really know what I’m gonna dress up as. It’s been ages since I’ve done that.”

“Don’t worry about that. I’ll betcha Rarity will help set you up with a bang-up costume.”

“I’d like that. So, what does one do on Nightmare Night?”

“Oh, collect candy, play games in the town square, and then, there’s the big event of the night, when all the foals that go out collectin’ candy offer them to Nightmare Moon.”

“Oh, that’s...Wait, what? But I thought Nightmare Moon was-”

“Now, Dave, Ah can’t be giving too much away. It’d be spoilin’. Yer gonna have to see for yerself.”

“But-”

“Ah’m sayin’ nothin’ else.”

She just grinned at me, and I could get nothing else out of her. What the heck was she talking about? I thought Nightmare Moon was Princess Luna’s evil side that had been banished away. Why did they pay tribute to her, and in candy?

We walked in silence the rest of the way to Twilight’s, me half-confused, half-irritated.

***

Fortunately, Twilight was indeed around when we arrived at the library, but Spike wasn’t, and, from the sound of things, Peewee was absent too, something that Owlowiscious seemed very relieved about.

“Where’s Spike?” I asked.

“Last night, we went scouting to see if we could find Peewee’s old nest,” said Twilight, “and, luckily, we did. The parents and their chicks had returned after those delinquent dragons departed, so today Spike took Peewee with him to return him to his parents. He said he wanted to do it alone.”

“That's pretty big of him," I said.

“I know," said Twilight, smiling. "I’m so proud of him. He’s being so grown up about this. He said he felt much better about doing it after talking to you, Dave. I knew Princess Celestia was right in making you part of foreign relations; you sure know your way around keeping the peace.”

“Aw, shucks, Twi,” I muttered.

“So, what brings the two of you here?”

Applejack and I exchanged a brief look, then I cleared my throat.

“Well, see, Twi, there’s something I need to tell you,” I said, hesitantly. “The ‘friend’ I told you about who was struck with Goronide Bolezn, the one currently in the hospital...is Trixie.”

Twilight’s reaction was just as I imagined. Her amethyst pupils shrank as her eyes widened, and she clapped a hoof to her mouth in surprise.

“What?! Really?”

“Really.”

“But when? I didn’t hear anything about it.”

“Well, er, we don’t rightly know when,” said Applejack. “Just came outta nowhere, didn’t she, Dave?”

She accompanied this with an all-too-toothy grin that would have made for a horrible poker face. I wish I had told Applejack to let me do the talking. I should have figured the Element of Honesty might not be the best at telling lies.

“Yeah, right out of the blue,” I said. “Zecora and I discovered her caravan in the woods by Derpy’s house, and we found her lethargic and feverish, so we rushed her to the hospital. I was worried you girls might freak out if you knew it was Trixie, so that’s why I just said it was a unicorn.”

“I see,” said Twilight, although something in her face told me she was not completely convinced. It could have been me, or Applejack’s lack of a straight face, but she said nothing about it. “So, do you know why she’s back?”

“She said she wanted to speak to ya, and ‘give’ ya somethin’,” said Applejack.

Twilight sighed and shook her head.

“I expected this,” she muttered. “She still hasn’t let go of what happened last time.”

“Well, can you blame her?” I asked, without really thinking.

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked.

I could see that I’d thrown myself into a corner, and had to do some quick thinking.

“Well, I only mean,” I said, trying to keep it casual, “that I’ve heard some stuff about her from other ponies. The whole town must have seen me carrying her to the hospital. Everypony might have given her a bad rap because of being boastful, but think of what kind of life she must have led, having to start over after that Ursa Minor crushed her caravan and forced her to reveal she never did any of those deeds. Can you blame her for being a little resentful for being humiliated like that?”

Twilight gazed at me curiously, as though she were trying to read my thoughts. It wasn’t exactly a comfortable experience.

“No, I suppose not,” said Twilight. “I just hoped she might have changed for the better after being away, but maybe I expected too much.”

“Now, hold up, Twi,” said Applejack. “Maybe she doesn’t really mean ya any real harm. She never did say. Still, if y’want, we can kinda bodyguard ya when she gets out of the hospital. I ain’t gonna let nopony have a chance of hurtin’ mah friend.”

“Thanks, Applejack,” said Twilight, kindly, “and I do appreciate the offer, but I should be able to handle myself against Trixie.”

Applejack and I looked at each other with smiles on our faces. Both of us knew Twilight was more than capable of handling herself.

“So, Dave,” said Twilight, “how are you doing with the Daring Do series?”

“Great,” I said. “I’m halfway through The Seapony’s Tear.”

“Excellent! Then maybe I can lend you the next couple for when you’re done with that. They’re Daring Do and the Basilisk’s Eye and Daring Do and the Legend of the Earthwing.”

“Sounds great! Are they in high demand?”

“Well, Rainbow Dash borrows them frequently,” said Twilight, and then, she clapped a hoof to her cheek. “Oh, wait! I forgot! Rainbow Dash checked out Legend of the Earthwing. Well, I can still give you The Basilisk’s Eye.”

“I don’t mind,” I said. “That and the rest of The Seapony’s Tear should keep me busy for a while.”

“Ah better head on back to the farm,” said Applejack. “You two have fun with your book-talk.”

“Book-talk?” asked Twilight, amused. “Honestly, AJ, that’s like Rainbow Dash calling me an egghead.”

Applejack rolled her eyes smilingly.

“Well, Ah’ll see ya both later anyways,” she went on. “Give mah best to Spike.”

“So long, Applejack,” I said.

“Bye,” said Twilight.

Applejack trotted out the door while Twilight and I went to sort out the check-out transaction. I wondered if I could get through the whole series before the next chance of me being sent home arose.

***

When I returned home with the new book under my arm, it was to find Ironmane standing by my door, looking stiff and important, but not altogether grumpy.

“Hello, Minister,” I said.

“David,” said Ironmane, curtly. “It is fortunate that you are here in person, because I have an announcement.”

“Er, yes?” I asked, a slight feeling of foreboding creeping over me.

“All of the other delegates have replied back to the notification I have sent out to them,” said Ironmane, “and have agreed to assemble the day after the Nightmare Night festivities. The Round Table would benefit substantially if you were to make it as well.”

“Assemble in Canterlot after Nightmare Night?” I asked.

“At noon.”

“That shouldn’t be too difficult,” I said. “I’m sure I can make it.”

“Very good,” said Ironmane. “I shall, of course, expect you to be on your best behavior. It would not do to start off on the wrong foot, especially when we have another new member in our ranks.”

“Really? Who?”

“I shan’t say here. You shall meet him when the time comes. In the meantime, here is your week’s stipend.”

He handed me another bag of money, though it seemed heavier than usual.

“I took the liberty of giving you an advance this time around,” he said, crisply. “Consider it my way of congratulating you for your conduct during your scandal last week. Do not get carried away, however,” he added, sternly. “A treat like this should not be expected all the time.”

“Understood,” I said, still barely able to believe my luck.

“Good. Now, I must be off. Good day.”

“Good day, sir.”

Ironmane departed with his usual stiff gait. I waited until he was gone, then headed inside, feeling slightly giddy at my bout of good fortune.

“Can’t spend it all at once, though,” I said. “I really ought to set some aside for sprucing up the place a bit. I also need to make sure my Canterlot suit is ready for after Nightmare Night. Speaking of which, I might need to ask Rarity or Twi for advice on a costume. Come to think of it, I’m gonna need a heck of a lot of candy for trick-or-treaters. Guess I’m gonna need to add a visit to Bon Bon to my to-do list.”

I stowed the bag away in my saddlebag, taking care to close it up securely, then lay down on my bed, bringing over The Seapony’s Tear.

“Now, where was I?...Oh, yeah! Daring was being told about the Tear’s purifying qualities, and where its last resting place is. I’d bet anything Ahuizotl’s gonna find his own way to figure it out...”

PreviousChapters Next