• Published 27th Jun 2012
  • 30,398 Views, 3,552 Comments

Living in Equestria - Blazewing



A young man finds himself in a world beyond his wildest imagination...

  • ...
123
 3,552
 30,398

PreviousChapters Next
A Great and Powerful Friendship Rekindled

The next day dawned bright and clear. One would never think, to look at it, that the day before had concerned such an extraordinary revelation as the true identity of my lovable neighbor. It made me wonder how anypony else would take the news, since they weren’t as versed in her past as Trixie and I. Perhaps it was best to just leave matters as they were. There was no need to bring it up to ponies who knew nothing about it.

When I went out to get the morning mail, I found that Trixie’s caravan had been parked right between our two houses, with plenty of room to spare. It made me smile to look at it. All she needed was her own mailbox (extravagantly decorated, of course) for the image to be complete. I’d offered to let Trixie spend the night in my house, and Moonlight did the same, but she’d graciously declined both offers, at least for the first night, she said.

That wasn’t all to be seen, though. Scootaloo and Dinky were standing before it, gazing at it in wonder.

“Morning, girls!” I called.

They both jumped and turned around to look at me. It seemed as though the unexpected sight of the caravan had put them in a trance.

“Hi, Dave!” said Dinky.

“Hey, Dave,” said Scootaloo. “We saw Trixie’s wagon out here yesterday, but we didn’t think she’d park right in our neighborhood.”

“Is she stopping by for a visit?” Dinky asked.

“Yep,” I said. “She’s finished her last tour, and is on vacation right now.”

“Ooh!” Dinky squeaked excitedly. “Do you think she’ll put on another show in Ponyville?”

“Maybe,” I said, “but I’m pretty sure she just wants to kick back and relax for now, so I’d leave that up to her to decide, if she’s up for it.”

“Oh, okay,” said Dinky, looking only faintly disappointed.

“By the way, you two,” I said, remembering suddenly, “the sign-ups for the concert ended yesterday, didn’t they?”

“Yeah!” said Scootaloo. “Sweetie Belle’s got the final list of acts, and we’re planning to visit Miss Octavia later to see what to do next, now that we’ve got all of them. Think you could join us there for 3? That’s when she said we could drop by.”

“Sure thing!” I said. “With the new scooter you two got me, I’ll be there in a jiffy when it’s time.”

“Great!” said Scootaloo. “See ya then, Dave!”

“Bye!” said Dinky.

“Bye, you two,” I said, and the two fillies scampered off, talking excitedly.

Barely 10 seconds elapsed since the two disappeared before the door to the caravan swung open. Yawning, and with a tasseled nightcap perched on her head, Trixie stepped out to blink in the sunlight.

“Morning, oh Great and Powerful One,” I said, wryly.

Trixie grinned drowsily.

“Good morning,” she said. “I’m used to waking up to the sound of birds singing or of early morning traffic, but I can’t remember the last time my slumber was broken by the loud voices of foals outside my door.”

“Really?” I asked. “Even in your line of work?”

“Surprising, I know,” said Trixie.

“Well, those were my neighbors’ foals,” I said. “I had to tell them you were on vacation, and that it’d be up to you if you wanted to perform while you were here.”

Trixie smiled.

“How sweet of you to do that for me,” she said. “Well, I shan’t leave them disappointed. When the time comes, and when Ponyville least expects it, I shall grace them once again with a spectacular exhibition of unparalleled prestidigitation!”

“That’s a mouthful right there.”

Both of us turned to see Moonlight, who had stepped out of her house and was grinning at the pair of us.

“Good morning, Moonlight!”

“Good morning, Star Glider!”

Trixie and I had spoken at the same time, so the two names got jumbled together. We stared at each other, then laughed. Moonlight giggled.

“Morning, Dave, Trixie. I just wanted to let you guys know I’ll be busy this afternoon. The Cakes are gonna be busy with preparations for their vacation, so I agreed to help Pinkie run the counter while she handles the kitchen.”

“All right,” I said. “Thanks for the head’s up.”

“You work at Sugarcube Corner now?” Trixie asked.

“Mm-hmm,” said Moonlight. “I usually help out with whatever Pinkie or the Cakes need done, so I’m kind of all over the place.”

“You always were an industrious thinker,” Trixie said, fondly. “Why don’t I go with you when you head for work and keep you company? It’ll give me a chance to catch up on what you’ve been up to here in Ponyville.”

“Sure!” said Moonlight. “That’d be a great idea! I’m supposed to be there for 1 o’clock, just after lunch.”

“Wonderful!” said Trixie. “Perhaps the three of us could go grab a bite before then, and I’ll walk over with you afterwards? Say, noon-ish?”

She looked inquiringly at me.

“That sounds like a great idea!” I said. “I’ve got something at 3, but I’d be delighted to join you both!”

“Consider it done, then,” said Trixie, triumphantly. “Now, if you both will excuse me, I need to freshen up. Adieu for now.”

She bowed her head grandly, making the tassel of her nightcap wobble, and retreated back into her caravan. Moonlight giggled, and the two of us went back into our houses to prepare for another day.

***

“...So there was no way I was ever going to use live badgers in my show again after that.”

The three of us had decided to have lunch at Ponyville’s main outdoor cafe. On our way there, we’d attracted quite a bit of attention, having The Great and Powerful Trixie in our midst. Heads turned, excited talk was thrown about, and one or two even asked Trixie for her autograph, which she did while still chatting with the pair of us, as though it were second-nature.

Trixie was keeping Moonlight and me in stitches with anecdotes about past shows while we ate, and had even treated us to smoothies to go with our meal.

“One of the biggest fiascos I ever had to deal with onstage,” Trixie said.

“Well, with that much coffee ice cream, of course it’s not gonna be pretty,” I said, chuckling.

“I wish I’d realized that sooner,” said Trixie, meekly.

Moonlight giggled.

“Your shows sound like so much fun,” she said. “Were they like that when I was the old me?”

“My magic has always been spectacular,” said Trixie, grandly, “but time and experience have greatly enhanced my repertoire.”

“Wow! I really hope I’ll be able to catch one, because I kept missing out the last time you were here.”

She wasn’t kidding. If not for the unusually coincidental circumstances that prevented her and Trixie from meeting face-to-face before yesterday, we probably would’ve had the revelation a long time ago.

“Fret not, my dear friend,” said Trixie. “The Great and Forethinking Trixie will ensure that you have a front-row seat at her next performance!”

“That’d be wonderful!” said Moonlight, gleefully.

“So, what have you got planned today, Dave?” Trixie asked, after taking a sip of her peach smoothie.

“Well, at 3, I’m meeting my friends at Octavia and Vinyl Scratch’s house,” I said.

Trixie raised an eyebrow.

“So those two really are living together?” she asked.

“You know them?” I asked in return.

“In a manner of speaking,” said Trixie. “I met Octavia at the Brimstone Lounge, since we were both performing there. I admire her skill in cello playing; the Great and Powerful Trixie knows a master when she sees one.”

“Of course,” I said.

“She told me about her DJ friend,” Trixie went on. “I’ve never seen a performance by her, but Octavia told me her shows were ‘something else, if you don’t mind going deaf for an hour or two.’”

“That’s one way of putting it,” I said, grimly. “Vinyl’s fun to hang out with, but she’s definitely not someone who wants a quiet life, though it looks like Octavia knows how to bear with it. She also told me she wants Vinyl away from the squalor of her old apartment, which is why she suggested they move in together.”

“I see,” said Trixie. “Wonders never cease. The extraordinary things ponies are willing to do for those they care about.”

She glanced over at Moonlight, who was taking a sip of her own smoothie and didn’t notice. I felt I understood what that look meant. Moonlight had gone above and beyond to defend Trixie from heckling, and had been repaid with a coma and amnesia.

The rest of lunch passed amicably, trading anecdotes of what each of us had been up to. Trixie got very interested when Moonlight brought up Almond, and the fact that she was blushing when she did didn’t escape the notice of my magician friend. From the twinkle in her eyes as she pressed Moonlight for details, one would think that she was trying to find out when the two were going to get married. Of course, since Moonlight was only just starting to get to know Trixie again, the latter was in no danger of being playfully hit or having something thrown at her for dropping such hints. Lucky her.

One o’clock was drawing near, and Trixie had settled our bill a while ago; we’d just been sitting and shooting the breeze in the meantime. Since we were going our separate ways for now, I bid my female friend adieu, saying I might pop in after my appointment at Octavia and Vinyl’s house was over to see how they were doing, which quite agreed with them, and we headed off, me heading for home, and Trixie and Moonlight heading for Sugarcube Corner.

***

...Would you like to swing on a star
Carry moonbeams home in a jar...

I decided to put in some extra music practice before heading over, in case Octavia and Vinyl wanted to check my progress and see how I was coming along. I’m not quite sure what it was that had driven me to choose this song, but after taking time away from my piano, as per Moonlight’s suggestion, and spending time with Applejack, it had somehow made the pieces click in my brain. It was something classical, and a bit jaunty as well. And also, for some inexplicable reason, it spoke to me.

The remaining time seemed to fly away, and soon it was time to head over. I grabbed the sheet music for the song, folded it carefully, and tucked it away in my pocket. It didn’t feel safe holding it in my hand while I was also manning the handlebars. Then, I went out to grab my new scooter, started up the motor, and headed off towards Ponyville.

It was definitely a lot faster than going on foot, and a lot more refreshing, too, getting a nice breeze in my face. If I hadn’t put in a practice run when Scootaloo and Dinky first brought it over, I might have taken quite a few fumbles. However, despite a few bumps and jerks, I managed to make it to Ponyville in one piece.

As soon as I rolled in, ponies caught sight of me, stopping in their tracks to stare at my new ride. I wouldn’t have expected anything less, since it was the first time I was coming down the street on anything other than my own two feet. Some continued to stare, while others began talking aloud.

“Wow, look at that!”

“Where’d he get something like that?”

“Sweet ride!”

“Looks like Scootaloo’s not the only scooter rider in town now.”

I couldn’t help feeling a flush of pride at this. I wasn’t trying to be vain, but it felt gratifying that Scootaloo and Dinky’s gift was making a good impression on everypony.

“Look at him, all high and mighty on his personal chariot! Too important to walk anymore? Trying to be superior to everypony?”

I stepped on the brakes and skidded to a halt. Utterly perplexed, I looked around to see who had said that. It sounded like a stallion, but everypony nearby looked just as bewildered as I was.

“Who said that?” somepony asked.

“I didn’t see who.”

“They sounded very rude, though.”

“Yeah, I like Dave’s new scooter.”

“It’s different, but it’s nothing to jeer about.”

The talk broke down into general conversational babble again as everypony went their way. I started the motor up again and continued on, still a bit befuddled. More than the abrupt, jeering nature of the mystery voice, I had the odd sensation that I’d heard it before, but where?

“Hey, Dave!”

I jumped, nearly jerking the handlebars the wrong way. Looking down, I saw my four Crusader friends in the familiar scooter-wagon train, riding beside me. Once again, Sweetie Belle was holding a stack of papers, though much less ponderous than last time.

“Hello, girls,” I said.

“Wow, you were right, Scootaloo,” said Apple Bloom. “That is an amazin’ scooter!”

“And now he can keep up with us when you go full throttle,” said Sweetie Belle.

Scootaloo rolled her eyes as Dinky giggled.

“How’s it handling, Dave?” Scootaloo asked.

“Pretty good,” I said. “I doubt I could ever drive as well as you, though.”

“Sure you could!” said Scootaloo. “All you need is some good practice, a need for speed, and a love of thrills!”

“Er, I think I’ll stick to the safe and steady way for now,” I said.

“Suit yourself,” said Scootaloo, shrugging, “but if you ever want to learn advanced scooter techniques, let me know, and I’ll be glad to teach ya!”

“Duly noted,” I said.

(I think I’d just be setting myself up for spills rather than thrills if I went that route.)

“Is what Scoot and Dinky’s been sayin’ true?” Apple Bloom asked. “Is Trixie back in town?”

“She is,” I said. “She finished her last tour, and she’s now on vacation, so to speak, so I wouldn’t go pestering her to do any magic tricks unless she’s in the mood for it.”

“Gotcha,” said Apple Bloom. “Granny always says, ‘save the best for when it’s ripe, or you’ll get sour apples’.”

“Wise words,” I said, pretty sure I knew what they meant.

Soon, we arrived at Octavia and Vinyl’s home, where we all dismounted from our separate conveyances. Instead of knocking this time, I rang the doorbell, which produced one of the most striking sounds I’d ever heard. It still had the ‘ding-dong’ of a traditional bell, but it was backed by two very pronounced bass beats. Immediately following it came a clatter and a cry of surprise. The girls and I stared at each other, startled.

We could hear some muffled conversation, and a minute or two later, the door opened, and Vinyl appeared, grinning.

“‘Sup, Crusaders, D-Meister? Come on in!”

She stepped aside, and we stepped in. There, we saw Octavia hurriedly wiping down the coffee table with a towel, where a tea tray was sitting. It looked like the doorbell ringing had startled her, making her spill what seemed to be cocoa, rather than tea. She looked up as we approached, giving us a genial but embarrassed smile.

“Hello,” she said. “So sorry about this.”

“I think I should be the one apologizing, Octavia,” I said, meekly. “I didn’t realize the doorbell would startle you.”

“Oh, don’t apologize, dear,” said Octavia, carelessly. “I told Vinyl we needed a less, *ahem*, alarming doorbell, but it seems my suggestion went unnoticed.”

She shot a nasty look at Vinyl, who didn’t look remotely abashed.

“I figured we’d need something that would get our attention even if we were practicing,” she said. “We may be artists, but we shouldn’t be inhospitable. What kind of neighbors would we be if we left guests waiting too long out on the doorstep?” she added, in an exaggeratedly offended tone.

Octavia rolled her eyes and scoffed. I remembered Vinyl pulling a similar ‘model host’ routine the last time we came to visit, and this one seemed to be having the same effect of getting under Octavia’s skin without offering her a proper rebuttal in front of guests. She finished wiping up, disposed of the sodden towel, and, turning back to us with a gracious smile, bid us to make ourselves at home, which we did.

“So everypony who wished to take part in your concert has signed up?” Octavia asked, once the cups had been doled out.

“Yep!” said Sweetie Belle. “I’ve got the final list of performers and their acts right here.”

She handed Octavia a clipboard that had been mixed in with the papers she had brought. Before Octavia could take it, it was seized in Vinyl’s magic, and she held it up between the pair of them, earning her a funny look from the classy cellist.

“What?” Vinyl asked, innocently. “Just thought I’d make it easier for both of us to read, and you don’t have to put down your cocoa.”

Octavia merely shook her head, and the two looked over the list of acts, reading them out aloud.

“‘Apple Bloom: Harmonica, Dave: Piano, Dinky: Singing, Scootaloo: Drums, Pinkie Pie: ‘The Pink Parade’?”

“What does that mean?” Vinyl asked, eyebrow raised.

“No idea,” said Dinky, shrugging. “All Pinkie said was she was ‘getting the old crew back together’ or something. She never really explains anything.”

“I know that too well,” I said. “I’m sure we’ll know once it’s time. Continue, please.”

“‘Diamond Tiara: Electric Guitar’-”

“Hold on, what?!” I interrupted, bewildered. “Diamond Tiara can play the electric guitar?”

“She said it was gonna be her act,” said Apple Bloom. “She didn’t really go into much detail either.”

“She just said to ‘be ready to be wowed’,” said Scootaloo, making air quotes with her hooves.

“O-kay then,” I said, bemused. “Doesn’t sound like she’s up to any funny business. Guess we’ll see. Sorry for interrupting. Please, go on.”

“No worries,” said Octavia. “‘Silver Spoon: Musical Spoons, and finally, Rarity and the Ponytones: Acapella.’”

“Rarity and the what?” I asked.

“I don’t know,” said Sweetie Belle. “I asked Rarity about it, and she just said she ‘didn’t want to ruin the surprise’. She said it was something she’d been brainstorming for a long time.”

“Huh,” I said. “Well, it sounds like we’ve got quite a few acts lined up, mysterious as a few of them sound.”

“Indeed,” said Octavia. “This should make for an interesting concert, with all of these performances.”

“A real hodgepodge of genres,” said Vinyl. “I like it!”

“And have you all gotten started on finding the songs you wish to perform?” Octavia asked.

We all nodded.

“I’ve got a pretty good idea of what I want to play,” I said, producing the sheet music I’d brought.

“Us too!” said Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Dinky together, as Sweetie Belle held up the rest of the papers she’d brought.

“Excellent,” said Octavia. “Let’s have a look.”

She was handed the music, and she and Vinyl flipped through them.

“Really narrowed it down, didn’t ya?” Vinyl asked, approvingly. “Not bad.”

“Just be sure that these are the songs you definitely want to perform for the concert,” said Octavia, handing them back. “As I said, you don’t want to get too overconfident, only to change your mind at the last minute.”

We all nodded to show we understood.

“And you’re still intent on working behind-the-scenes, Sweetie Belle?” Octavia asked.

“Uh-huh,” said Sweetie Belle.

“All right,” said Octavia. “Well, then, at this stage, the next step should be-”

“Getting all the technical stuff set up,” Vinyl interjected. “You guys say you wanna perform at Ponyville Park, yeah? Well, we gotta make sure nopony else is gonna need to use it on the day you host the concert. Trust me: you do not wanna get mixed up in a clash of competing performances. I should know. One time, I was hosting a dance party at the same place a ballroom dance was supposed to be happening. Got no heads-up on that whatsoever, and somehow, it was my fault! The nerve!”

“I quite agree that you deserved some forewarning,” said Octavia, “but that did not give you the right to call the ballroom director...what you called him.”

“He had it coming,” said Vinyl, dismissively. “He started it, getting all up in my face about it. He’s lucky I didn’t say anything about his goofy mustache. Or did I? I can’t remember.”

Octavia tutted and turned her attention back to us.

“As we’re unsure how long it will take to get everything set up for all the various acts, it may take some time to set up a definite date for the concert. Vinyl and I will meet up with everypony else involved to get a good scope of what to expect, and we’ll make preparations accordingly. We’ll need to set up a proper stage that will accommodate everypony.”

“Gotta work in the lighting and the sound and all the bells and whistles everypony’s gonna need,” said Vinyl. “Depending on how they wanna flare up their acts, of course.”

“That’s right,” said Octavia. “Once all of that is settled, then we’ll know for certain when we shall hold the concert. Leave the technical work to us. You all concentrate on your performances.”

“Got it,” I said, and my four friends nodded to show they understood.

“Great!” said Vinyl, clapping her hooves together. “So, did any of you wanna show off what you picked? Kind of a sneak peek?”

At this, Dinky blushed and bashfully mumbled that she couldn’t. It was hard to hear what she was saying, but it sounded like she wanted to keep her performance a secret for now, since it was ‘special’.

“Perfectly all right, dear,” said Octavia, kindly. “We won’t force you.”

“To be honest,” said Apple Bloom, sheepishly, “none of us were really prepared fer more than showin’ what songs we picked.”

“We forgot to bring our instruments,” said Scootaloo, also sheepish.

“And it’s not like I can haul my piano here,” I said, shrugging.

“No worries,” said Vinyl, waving her hoof airily. “There’s always time for a rehearsal. In the meantime, who’s up for another round of jams, DJ PON3 style?”

My Crusader friends cheered, while Octavia and I exchanged a look of mutual foreboding for our poor eardrums.

***

My ears had only just stopped ringing when I rolled up to Sugarcube Corner. The sun was beginning to go down, and my four fellow Crusaders had headed off to drop their things off at the clubhouse after we left Octavia and Vinyl’s house. I figured I might as well stop in and see how my other friends were doing.

The familiar tinkle of the bell hit my ears as I stepped inside. There were only a few ponies about, and I could already see Trixie sitting by herself at a table close to the counter, where Moonlight was standing. The two were deep in conversation before catching sight of me.

“Hi, Dave!” they said in unison.

“Hello, ladies,” I said. “Hope I’m not interrupting.”

“Not at all,” said Moonlight. “Things are kind of winding down for today, so Trixie and I are just chatting.”

“Hi, Davie!”

In one bound, Pinkie leaped through the door to the kitchen, straight over Moonlight’s head, over the counter, and onto the main floor. I barely had time to open my arms before she grabbed me in the hug I knew was coming, and was able to give her a squeeze in return.

“Hi, Pinkie,” I said. “Been having fun with Moonlight and Trixie?”

“Lots!” said Pinkie, releasing me. “It’s always great getting to know the friend of a friend, or a friend of friends!”

I raised an eyebrow at this.

“Friend of friends?” I repeated.

“Yeah!” said Pinkie. “Moonlight said Trixie was an old friend of hers, and you’re Trixie’s friend too, so that means she’s friends with two of my friends, which makes her a friend of friends! See?”

I don’t think I’d ever been so be-friend-ed in my life.

“I think I do,” I said.

Pinkie smiled proudly.

“I’d better get back to the kitchen,” she said, “but I couldn’t let you drop by without at least a hug.”

“I appreciate that, Pinkie,” I said, ruffling her mane.

And with that, Pinkie crouched low, then bounced backwards back the way she came. Moonlight squeaked and ducked, but my pudgy friend cleared her easily, and even landed within the kitchen doorway on all four hooves. I couldn’t help applauding such a feat, to which she bowed, then went back to her duties. Trixie sat staring after her, looking bemused, but then simply shook her head as I came to sit beside her.

“How’ve you girls been doing?” I asked.

“Quite well,” said Trixie. “I’ve had a very pleasant afternoon with Star and Pinkie, pony-watching and chatting about this and that. Only…”

There was a loud gurgle at that moment, and Trixie, wincing, rubbed her stomach.

“I might have overdone things a little.”

It was only then that I noticed various paper plates and wrappers scattered about Trixie’s table. Plus, she was looking just a little bloated. I looked at Moonlight, who was wearing a sympathetic smile.

“Trixie got a case of the snackies while she was here,” she explained.

“How much did you eat, Trixie?” I asked.

“6 cupcakes, 3 cookies, 4 muffins, and one religieuse,” called Pinkie, promptly.

Trixie’s stomach gurgled again, making her grimace once more.

“Thanks for the reminder,” she mumbled.

“What made you eat so much?” I asked.

“Well, you know how it is,” said Trixie. “You sit around in a cafe or a bakery, talking, when you start to get a little snacky, and since you’re in a place that sells food, it makes it all the easier. I suppose I had a little more than I should have, partly because I wanted to be a good customer for Star.”

“Aw, Trixie, you didn’t have to do that,” said Moonlight. “I mean, it’s very sweet, but I think the fact that you ordered a whole cake to go was enough already.”

I looked over, and could indeed see a sealed box sitting at the empty table beside Trixie.

“Nonsense,” said Trixie, endeavoring to sit up straighter. “You always supported me in our days on the road, and I intend to do the same for our days off the road.”

Moonlight couldn’t help smiling. Neither could I. Silly as it was for Trixie to give herself a stomach ache just to ensure that Moonlight got business, it was also sweet to see what she was willing to do for her friend. However, what Trixie said just then reminded me of a question, and while Moonlight left the counter to talk to Pinkie in the kitchen, I decided to ask,

“You know, Trixie, I forgot to ask: do you remember what Moonlight got her cutie mark for, as Star Glider?”

Trixie didn’t even need time to think, it seemed, and her expression brightened immediately.

“I do! It’s actually rather adorable. Back then, she said she wanted to be my ‘hype mare’.”

I raised an eyebrow.

“Your ‘hype mare’?” I asked.

“That’s right. She drew her own posters advertising my shows, and she’d sometimes lean out the window as we went along, heralding our arrival. ‘Make way for the Great and Powerful Trixie,’ she’d say. It was truly precious. Well, she got her cutie mark from all of that, so I suppose her special talent has to do with promotion.”

A talent for promotion? Now that was interesting.

“It kind of makes sense, actually,” I said, musingly. “She’s been doing some promotional work for Sugarcube Corner here, as far as I understand it, and she came up with the slogan I used on my sign for the Brimstone Lounge.”

“That was her?” Trixie asked, impressed. “Remarkable! It’s just a pity she didn’t come during the grand opening. I’d have met her much sooner, though I doubt I’d have done any better at not causing a scene.”

The two of us shared a laugh, only stopped by another angry growl from Trixie’s gut. Moonlight returned, carrying a glass of water in her wing, within which something was fizzing.

“Here, Trix,” she said. “I asked Pinkie to get you an antacid for your stomach, to help you feel better. Seems the Cakes are well-stocked with them, for when Pinkie bites off more than she can chew, literally.”

“Thank you, Star,” said Trixie, gratefully, taking the glass in her magic. “That’s very sweet of you.”

She gulped down the water, sighed, then let out a belch. Her cheeks going crimson, she slapped a hoof to her mouth. I was trying to stifle a laugh while Moonlight giggled. From the kitchen doorway, I could see Pinkie holding up an ‘8’ scorecard with a cheeky grin on her face.

“Feel better?” I asked.

“Quite a bit better, yes,” said Trixie, still rather pink in the face as she patted her stomach. “So sorry you had to hear that.”

“It’s all right,” said Moonlight. “I’ve heard louder ones from Pinkie.”

“Heyyy, that was only one time!” Pinkie retorted, hooves on her hips.

“One that nopony’s likely to forget, since everypony in all of Sugarcube Corner heard it when it happened,” said Moonlight.

Pinkie simply stuck out her tongue and went back to the kitchen. I knew she didn’t have it in her to stay mad at a friend for long, unless it was over ice cream flavors, and even then, it wouldn’t last.

I decided to stick around with them until closing time, talking about this and that. Trixie had seen Almond himself come to Sugarcube Corner to chat with Moonlight, and had immediately deemed them ‘an adorable pair’ when she watched them interact, and it had apparently taken all she could muster not to butt in and ask questions, as she didn’t want to ‘spoil the moment’. Moonlight simply blushed and waved Trixie’s comments off with her wing. In all honesty, it sounded like Trixie was already planning their wedding.

I updated them on my own affairs, specifically the concert, which made them both genuinely interested.

“You’ll have to let me know when you’ll be performing,” said Trixie, “so I don’t step on your toes and hooves if I decide to perform in the park myself.”

“Will do,” I said, then raised my voice to address Pinkie, “By the way, Pinks?”

“Yeah?” Pinkie asked, poking her head out.

“I’ve been hearing talk of you getting some crew back together for the concert. What’s that about?”

Pinkie grinned slyly.

“Sorry, Davie, can’t say. Nopony likes a ruined surprise, you know? You’ll have to wait and see, but it’ll be worth it, I promise. I just hope they haven’t gotten too rusty. It’s been a while. Might need to break out the good stuff to get them in the right mood.”

And she ducked back inside. Moonlight and Trixie looked at each other, then at me. I simply shook my head.

“I could live to be 100 and still never understand how her mind works,” I said, making them giggle.

Some time later, the clock chimed 9 o’clock. Pinkie poked her head out again and sang,

Closing time
One last call for tasty treats
So finish your cookies and cakes

Trixie and I sat up, Trixie grabbing her packaged cake as she did, and Moonlight flew over the counter to join us. Pinkie bounced over to grab all three of us in a tight hug, which only Trixie seemed startled by.

“See you next time!” she said. “Moonlight, we’ll need you here bright and early on Monday, 'cuz it’s gonna be busy-busy when the Cakes leave.”

“I’ll be here, Pinkie, don’t worry,” said Moonlight.

“And if you guys ever need help, I can pitch in if you want,” I said. “Working with Bon Bon gave me a bit of experience, after all.”

“Thanks for offering, Davie!” said Pinkie. “I’ll let you know if we need you. And Trixie, don’t be a stranger while you’re in Ponyville. Drop by anytime!”

“I’ll be sure to,” said Trixie, “if it’s to support my good friend, though I may have to watch myself. Any more orders that aren’t strictly to go, and I might not be able to walk back to my wagon, or even fit through the door.”

She said this in a good-humored tone, so we all shared a laugh, then Pinkie bid the three of us farewell as we made our way back to our neck of the woods, now currently expanded by the presence of my and Moonlight’s great and powerful friend.

Saturday, March 16

Author's Note:

As I promised, here's the first of two chapters I've had waiting all this time. The second will be uploaded around the same time next week. I just hope the wait was worth it. :twilightsheepish:

PreviousChapters Next