• Published 27th Apr 2015
  • 3,469 Views, 171 Comments

A World Without a Rainboom - Mocha Star



What if Rainbow Dash never did the sonic rainboom? The world changes as soon as Nightmare Moon arrives.

  • ...
30
 171
 3,469

The Trixie and Twilight Show

Fireworks filled the sky as Trixie and Twilight struck the final pose and waited for the crowd to look at them again, letting Trixie know to drop the sound barrier and Twilight to raise the physical shield to protect them from bits being thrown at them. On cue Twilight raised her shield and at the end of the light display Trixie lowered hers, focusing what she could to funnel the bits to the back of their stage wagon.

"And that's the show!" they shouted in unison.

"The Great and Powerful Trixie-

And the Amazing Twiley-

Thank you for watching our show!" They finished as Trixie fired off one last firework.

Twilight growled through her smile loud enough so Trixie could hear. A chuckle was all she replied with. Collecting their bits from the ground they walked into the crowd of a hundred or so ponies to sign autographs and regale the crowd with stories of their heroics against Nightmare Moon. Twilight was a known celebrity across the realm and seeing her was always cause for excitement. A signed picture of her only cost three bits and could sell for up to ten. At least, that's the rumor she and Trixie started.


"Trixie, I swear if you keep one upping me like that at the end of the show I'll turn you into a rock, like that hard head of yours."


"Twilight, this was my show before you slithered your way into it. If I didn't do it, then they'd lose the best reason they had to show up."

Twilight sat inside their wagon and crossed her forelegs at Trixie and frowned. "I'm the most famous mare in this duo. You wouldn't be half as popular without me!"

Trixie scoffed as she took off her robe and hung it on a mannequin. "If I didn't have you, I'd still have my own stories of fighting Nightmare Moon and I'd be just as famous. Now excuse me, I have to powder my horn."

Twilight scooted aside to let her pass. "You know, I could let it slip to a few newspapers that you were frozen in a clown costume for a few weeks," Twilight grinned, "I have a picture to prove it."

Trixie gasped in horror. "You swore you destroyed it! Where is it?!" Trixie dropped her powder puff and lunged at the giggling Twilight missing her by mere inches as Twilight teleported behind Trixie.

"You'll never find it, and you know I'll never tell!" Twilight mocked as Trixie cast a telekinesis spell and wrapped Twilight in a rope. "Is this the best you can do?" With a thought Twilight turned the rope into licorice and stretched out of it.

"Twilight, you're getting fat!" Trixie shouted. Twilight stopped, pain shot across her face as she dropped to her hooves and looked at her flanks. Trixie pounced on Twilight, knocking her onto her back and held her down chuckling. "You're always so worried about your weight."

"Yeah, well I've gotten a lot thinner since we started the show," Twilight snapped back, "you know I'm sensitive about that." Twilight felt her emotions acting up as she turned her head and closed her eyes. "You said you wouldn't use that against me. I was just teasing about the picture. You went too far."

Trixie sat up and sighed. "I'm sorry, Light. I got carried away. The show's nothing without you and you're not fat, not even a little." Trixie got off and sulked to her bed and laid down. Twilight rolled over and sat up and with a sniffle.

"Bea, you hurt my feelings really bad. I don't know what to say right now that won't make us fight."

"Ha. That Fluttershy really taught you to talk, huh? All that kindness power rub off on ya?"

"Bea," Twilight walked to the bed and laid next to Trixie, "I talk that way to you because you're my partner. I can't fight with you and go on stage and pretend like we're friends if I'm mad at you. Fluttershy taught me to talk about my problems and it's worked a lot better than keeping them bottled up and hiding. I have one job now, and that's with you, we're richer than I ever would have thought possible. And I don't see doing anything else with my life at this point."

"Light, you sure talk too much. Let's just put all that behind us and admit you started it and I'm the better unicorn here."

Twilight smiled and closed her eyes. A dozen argument starting phrases raced through her mind until she picked the perfect one.

"I love you, Bea." Trixie gasped and scowled at Twilight.

"You were supposed to keep it going! Darn it, the great and powerful Trixie wanted a good fight! Now we have no reason to, make up."

"Oh the spell we don't," Twilight said as she turned off the lights and leaned into Trixie.

Author's Note:

:pinkiegasp:

:twilightsheepish: and :trixieshiftright: ?

Comments ( 68 )

...:rainbowderp: the ending is well :rainbowderp:

6008242 :ajsmug:

It ain't over yet, sugarcube.

6008256

Woah woah woah, hold yer horses. :ajbemused:

You want me to write a :twilightsheepish: and :trixieshiftright: clop, you gotta ask nice!

6008262 um... :twilightblush: sure I'm asking nicely:twilightblush::raritycry::raritydespair::twilightblush::scootangel:

Comment posted by Sun Struck deleted May 23rd, 2015

6009255 WAIT no what, Did I ask that? :twilightblush:

Liked it a lot! Sorry, just got around to reading the 1st two chapters.

6012830

:heart: It'll have a role in the sequel... but not shipping, just a role.

"Ummm okay then..." Twilight said, a little shell-shocked after what she'd just witnessed. The feeling was shared by the other five mares and the dragon in the room as well. "...Thanks Rainbow Dash for that... interesting question."

Twilight patted the cyan pegasus' withers, despite the fact that she was across the room, with the help of the lingering effects of her "hoof-longer" spell. Rainbow Dash failed to respond, her mouth still gaping open in stunned silence. Twilight cleared her throat.

"So, does anypony else have a question for the magical What-If machine?"

6031019
That was 20% cooler than any other answer I've heard in a while.

You made my night a little gooder and now the fun had been doubled!

6031019

I still LOVE your comment referencing Futurama.

This is great, good job!:yay::twilightsmile:

Get consumed by insecurity at a flight show until your friend falls to her death, bravely fighting off all the other pegasi who are trying to save her life. Cause a sonic rainboom, save her life. Meh.

Fail to save your friend whose life no one is even bothering to save, cast out unjustly to be consumed by guilt for ten years, before the friend you almost killed is the only one who cares enough about you to hunt you down, slowly recovering in her diligent care, tormented with nightmares of committing suicide because she fell and you weren't fast enough to catch her, whereupon she falls to her death, because of the missing wing that you caused, and the only one there to catch her is you, if you're fast enough.

Cause a sonic rainboom, save her life. Save the world.

This is why I read fanfiction.

6099587

If I had a hat I would tip it to you friend.

You're comment is the reason I write. Thank you

:moustache:

6086468

Thanks for the compliment. :moustache:

6086468
6099587
6031019

Make sure to read the sequel! It's only beginning for them and new twists are sure to come.

6137883
Eh, I looked at the sequel but I felt this one wrapped itself up pretty well, and I'm not a big Discord fan, among other things.

6138956

I'm a huge John de Lancie fan, and Q. But the sequel isn't about Discord, it's about fighting their fears and overcoming their limits. But, it's your call and I really appreciate your reading this.

:yay:

6140536
omg thanks, I love hearing that.

6140536
I actually stayed this story just cuz I am so tired of everyone keeping the mane 6 the same. This is fiction people, branch off!

But the first chapter was more gonna be a one shot then I got such a great response. ..

6143057

The adventure hasn't even started yet and you're in love with the story.
:pinkiehappy:.

6274306

Maybe a couple chapters but not a full story.

Are you trying to taunt me? :derpytongue2:

The first pony story I ever wrote was about a similar premise... http://www.fimfiction.net/story/4974/no-need-for-rainbows
There was also http://www.fimfiction.net/story/47421/A-minor-variation

And there were a bunch of other stories that basically assumed that without the rainboom Nightmare Moon would never be defeated. It seemed like during season 1 it was all anyone ever wrote about. :facehoof:

6299421
6299623

Well FINALLY! I'll read them for sure, thanks. I have been scouring sites but the title was what I looked for. Rainbows makes me think rainbows, not rainbooms.

Yay, more reading!
(This one's great too though.)
Read Chapter one, it's worth it. I've read yours and ho-hum, I'm not original. I still had fun writing this!
:trollestia:
Heh, I started writing this while watching season three, as a recent Brony convert a lot is new to me so I haven't gotten around to reading every story ever posted from day one of this site or having made friends with every member that link me to any story but it's on my list of things to do!

:twilightblush: :moustache:

#Brohoof

Comment posted by Mocha Star deleted Aug 9th, 2015

So I saw this fic in the updated section of the front page and did a double take.

A world without a rainboom
...
Rainbow Dash never did the sonic rainboom
...
This is maybe the only story online with this premise, if you find one similar please let me know so I can compare notes.

Can't tell if troll. :trixieshiftleft:

A World Without Rainbows
Published here on the day Fimfiction went live (2011-07-10). Old as dirt.
pinkie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw10928-UwotM8.gif

Comment posted by Mocha Star deleted Aug 9th, 2015

6299623
Did you at least read the first chapter?

Shouldn't pass judgement without knowledge!
#selfless promotion of story

:pinkiecrazy::trollestia:

6300414

6299623
:trollestia:

--Comment posted by Mocha Star deleted at 11:17am on the 9th of August, 2015

dashie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw11320-Almost.png

6300994
I combined the comments so i deleted that one.

But thanks for taking the time anyway!
:)

6300994
Comment 63 is the combination.
Trollestia is there

Comment posted by Mocha Star deleted Aug 10th, 2015

6299623
6299421
Any real advice from a couple of fossils, I mean site elders?
:twilightblush:

Epic Story suggestions maybe?

6302835 Suggestions on what to write, or on what to read?

6302856

Honestly both.
I started watching mlp and was inspired to write this during a Netflix marathon. 3 seasons in a day. My wife went from its cute to ugh by season two.

Anyway, cupcakes inspired my first fic ever, the traveling bakers.
My little Dashie inspired a half dozen first drafts that were shredded and burnt with fire (thankfully).

Recently I've been opening my mind and letting my imagination looser than ever but sometimes I hit the block and inspiration is found in other stories.

A simple paragraph can be enough to hey my mind racing. Btw I don't plagiarize.

I've been writing and a brony since February and this is my stress relief.

So yeah, both work.

6299421
I read your story btw.
Pretty good.

I am biased of course but I respect that your work was over of the first on the site and in its unique angle.

I believe mine is better not because I wrote it or look down on others but because of the darker story line and resolution.

That's not a fact and I'm not looking for a war, please.
Is my asshole, I mean opinion.

:twilightblush:

6302876 Well... the first story I got really obsessed with was Equestria: Total War.

And then it NEVER FINISHED. ARRRRGH.

I also wanted to write a story where Twilight and Gilda fell in love, without Gilda turning into an apologetic woobie. The idea being that Twilight is kind of insane and needs someone to tell her when she's being stupid more than she needs someone to support her. But romance is really not my thing.

6302891

I'm into romance big time.
I am writing a story just for the heel of it called FlutterPie. .something.
I really don't know but I wanted a challenge so I'm having them start a relationship.

I think it's okay so far but no one will give me comments.

Also I've never gotten into fallout.
What's the deal with it?
Nuke survivors battle each other to survive over scraps or something?

6302891
Equestria total war, it's in my read it later.
Not a fallout thing then?

6302907 No, it's about griffons and lions invading a completely unprepared Equestria and them scrambling to build an army and respond before they lose the whole country. Meanwhile, Derpy leads the rebellion in occupied territory. Then there's some weird thing with Screwball that never really went anywhere. Most of the tech is Napoleonic, I think? But I thought it did a good job of adapting it to pony use and using pony strengths.

Fallout: Equestria is based on the Fallout games. So, the present day stuff is a pony emerging from a vault and trying to survive in an insanely dangerous irradiated wasteland. But a lot of the appeal is the flashbacks (in memory orbs, messages left on computers, etc.) to times during the war, where the mane 6 were the Ministers under Luna's wartime government against the zebras.

It's famous for being REALLY LONG and having lots and lots of REALLY LONG sequels.

6302922
Woah.
Both sound pretty good.

Which should I read first?
Which would I get the most out of?

6302926 Well, Fallout Equestria is actually finished and has a million people writing side stories and sequels. So I guess it seems to inspire people?

6303059

Meh, it's for the game obsessed. I'm try the other

6341752

Yesh, a little reference.

Read on! Nightmare Moon returns is when I stated writing this into a book.

Day 3: I ship it.
Like a train shipping shipping ships, which are shipping FedEx trucks, which are shipping... Things from another shipping company.

I'm amazed I only just realized this late exactly what you accomplished here.
(and that no one else pointed it out yet)
Congrats on predicting a major part of the Season 5 finale miles ahead of everyone else.

6896434
Oh, thank you very much.

A little credit is still credit!

I appreciate your comment.
:twilightsheepish:

I actually remember seeing this on the popular stories list a few months back. Never knew you wrote it. :twilightsmile:

7468141

Surprise!

Whacha think?

Login or register to comment