• Published 27th Apr 2015
  • 3,469 Views, 171 Comments

A World Without a Rainboom - Mocha Star



What if Rainbow Dash never did the sonic rainboom? The world changes as soon as Nightmare Moon arrives.

  • ...
30
 171
 3,469

5. Nightmare Moon Returns

"Fluttershy? Fluttershy! It's time to go. We have to get to the party at Bonbon's and eat LOTS of candy and cake and there'll be red punch! My favorite. I'm going ahead, you can catch up, right?" Rainbow rambled excitedly before she turned and began flying away before Fluttershy answered.

"Oh, yes. I can finish feeding my animals quickly, then I'll be right behind you. Have fun and fly safe!"

"Okay mom," Rainbow said flapping harder and reaching tree height before starting to fly to town.

Fluttershy felt a blush forming at the thought of being called a mother, even if it was by a patient.


Gathering in the town hall after a long night of parties, candy, and celebrating, the mayor introduced the great Alicorn Princess Celestia. Appearing in a bright yellow light the regal mare appeared from behind a curtain.

Mayor Mare stood and addressed the crowd of ponies. "In just a few moments, our town will witness the magic of the sunrise, and celebrate this, the longest day of the year! And now, it is my great honor to introduce to you the ruler of our land, the very pony who gives us the sun and the moon each and every day, the good, the wise, the bringer of harmony to all of Equestria."

The ponies in attendance watched in awe as the curtains opened to show their Princess Celestia in her glory. Celestia opened her wings and spoke loudly, yet compassionately. "Greetings, my loyal subjects. I am pleased to see you all and I am honored to be here to raise the sun before you. As you know, 1000 years ago I began the tradition of raising the sun to honor the moon and begin a new season, for without the moon, we would have no light at night.

"So, without further ado." Closing her eyes, her horn began to glow. Rearing up and opening her wings she began to hover and the moon began to set; the sunrise and colors of dawn and dusk began to fill the sky as the celestial bodies passed each other. Then they stopped almost parallel to each other in the sky. Turning from the windows that showed the moon and sun, they looked to their princess to see why she had paused the cycle and gasped.

Celestia was still hovering, but differently. Her body and horn weren't glowing and her wings laid limply behind her. With a motion she flew forward and tumbled from the balcony to the floor as ponies scattered, dumbfounded at what they were seeing. With a heavy thud Celestia impacted the floor and she groaned in pain. Stallions and mares screamed and backed away from Celestia who trembled in pain.

A dark blue mist appeared on the balcony and Nightmare Moon appeared, laughing loudly. "Oh, my beloved subjects. It's been so long since I've seen your precious, little sun-loving faces. Have thee been relaxing and sleeping all night, waiting for the sun to rise so you could begin living? Behold; as the mare you love and worship, that hath controlled you, and nature itself, lay dying on the floor before you. I will tell ye the truth she hath kept from you for all these years; A goddess she is not, she simply doesn't age as all Alicorns are blessed as such, but she can die."

Rainbow Dash screamed and flew to the far side of the room, as far away as she could and found Fluttershy hiding under a folding chair. "Fluttershy!" Rainbow whispered loudly, "Who is that and is this part of the ceremony? It's really scary, don't understand."

"No, Rainbow. This is horrible!"

"Ya bet it is," Jack said from in front of them without turning around.

"JACK!" Rainbow called loudly making several ponies and Nightmare Moon look into their direction. "I didn't see you there. Is this a movie or play?"

With a wicked laugh Nightmare Moon leapt to the floor standing over Celestia, placing a hoof on the mare's back, applying pressure making Celestia groan in pain as blood began to seep from a wound near her shoulder. "I won't let her die a martyr, my little ponies. I'll let her live as a prisoner in my castle in Canterlot; for all eternity, as my pet," she said with a sneer, "I am Nightmare Moon, and the night. Shall. Last!" she bellowed in a Royal voice.

Nightmare Moon moved to Celestia's front and looked at her. "Thy have lost and will remember this for all the rest of thy years." She raised a leg and brought it down with massive force onto Celestia's horn; shattering it and knocking Celestia unconscious as her head smacked the floor. Blood leaked from her mouth as her horn laid in pieces around her head. Ponies screamed and ran out of the hall into the town and waited panting and gasping in fear as Nightmare Moon levitated Celestia beside her. Closing her eyes the sun fell and the moon rose. Then she was gone in a swirl of blue magic, taking Celestia with her.