• Published 30th Jul 2014
  • 3,021 Views, 96 Comments

Thief - conTROLLER234



I am one of many survivors in the zombie apocalypse, though I am very different from all of them. I used to say that before what happened, where I went, somewhere I never meant to go to.

  • ...
25
 96
 3,021

Chapter 2 First Words

Thief

Chapter 2

First Words

“Spike, are you sure you saw something? Maybe your mind was just playing tricks on you.”

My body jolts awake, nearly causing me to fall out of my tree. My eyes open, although my ears are doing the detective work for locating to these voices.

“I’m sure of it! But it’s nothing that I’ve ever seen before.” I hear that young, voice again, coming closer to my tree.

“See? It's the same hoofsteps that we saw outside the Library. It must've come here.”

“Well, just seeing stuff like this out in the middle of the Everfree Forest is a bit, strange. But it doesn’t necessarily mean, well, whatever you saw came here.” I listen to that feminine voice again, still remaining dead silent. “Spike, can you tell us what it looked like?” I hear multiple mumbled hums in agreement, and I tense against the tree slightly more as I prepare for more than 2 intruders.

“Well, I didn’t really get a good look at it. He was really hard to see, and moved really fast. He was gone before you even opened your eyes! I saw where he went from the window, but that was it.” He finishes his testimony, just as a different voice pipes up with a chuckle.

“Hah! We'll see how fast this thing really is when we find it!”

I can't help but smirk somewhat at the remark. While the voice is more raspy and crackly, it still sounds feminine as well.

“Well, we don’t know until we find out right?” I hear the first female voice speak again. As she clears her throat to speak, it is filled with so much fear and unease I can nearly taste it. “H-Hello?” She yells out, and it heavily echoes throughout the woods. She tries again. “Please, you can come out. We’re not here to harm you!”

I leave them in a long silence once again.

“We said, show yourself!” I hear that crackly voice again, a voice that I could tell wasn't as terrified as the first.

I bite my lip as I draw in a shallow breath, holding it for a brief moment as I attempt to devise a plan. These past 18 hours have strangely sat uncomfortably in my gut. The weirdly out-of-place houses, that creature that I can barely even remember in my head from last night. That spoke.

I weigh my options. With them this close, I won't be able to leave or jump to another tree without them hearing me. I can't see how many of them there are, but I suppose I can at least make a run through the forest if need be.

Without much of the choice, I grip my bow tightly with an arrow set in, and hop down from the tree to make my entrance. I land dramatically with a thud, and immediately draw my bow towards the people…

Wait…

My fingers quiver on the stressed bowstring as I gulp unsteadily.

These... There are...

The owners of the voices all draw their enormously giant eyes to the newfound creature. Their collective gasps is almost enough to compare to what I am trying to comprehend.

Through my complete and utter disbelief at what is being shown in front of my eyes at this very moment, I almost drop my bow to the ground. However, I maintain some kind of composure, and release most of the strain from my weapon.

The silence carries on just long enough for me to convince myself that I haven't finally gone insane. I figured it would happen one day. And to be honest, I would gladly embrace insanity at this point.

But if I knew that insanity would consist of visual hallucinations of tiny little crayon colored, hair-dyed, bulbous-eyed miniature horses, I would rather take the coward's way out.

I swear that it was the blink of that purple one that snapped me out of my existential crisis. And that tiny creature from last night, I can see it clear as day now. If I was on acid, I would say it looked like a dragon.

My blood immediately kicks into higher gear, my adrenaline beginning to flow as I re-draw my bow and take a step towards the small group.

The ponies flinch at the action. The purple one, that I might add has a horn, is sided by an orange horse wearing a old-western Stetson, and another rainbow-caked horse with - with WINGS!?

I psychologically slap myself back to reality.

I'll have plenty of time to freak the fuck out about this later. Right now, I've gotta figure out what the fuck is going on. I devise to myself.

None of them have made any attempt to speak. Perhaps they are still stuck in the mind loop I was stuck in. I am the first to break the ice, bow still threateningly drawn at them.

"W..." I swallow, finding it initially harder to talk than I'd anticipated. "W-What the f-fuck are you..." Is all I can muster.

The purple unicorn's maw just barely gasps, mumbling just loud enough to hear. "Y-You can talk."

And so can THEY! I feel my mind almost tremble all over again as I remind myself.

I push myself to speak more. "What happened; where did you come from...? W-Where am I!?" My panic begins to overwhelm my rational thinking.

“I-It's okay!” The unicorn takes a step forward, holding a stumpy violet hoof out towards me. I can tell by her face that it wasn't her intention, with beads of sweat forming on her forehead. She clears her throat to speak more. "I-I'm assuming you're not from around here, since I d-don't think I've ever seen anycreature like you."

Every word that comes out of this thing's mouth just gives me more and more questions to ask.

"But, m-maybe we can start with an introduction! My name is Twilight Sparkle, what is-"

"I don't give a fuck about introductions!" I cry out, enraged and confused. "Just tell me where I am so I can get the fuck out of here!" With every emphasized word I draw closer to them, menacingly flaring my bow at the purple pony.

They all flinch back farther, however the most colorful rainbow pegasus flies to confront me closer. Her hind leg flips down on my bow to knock it away after dashing towards me. "Hey! Quit waving that thing around, you're gonna hurt somepony!"

"Rainbow, don't!" The purple unicorn cries out.

The pegasus barely has time to react to my flying right fist that collides with her left cheek. The attack knocks the creature back, and it lands with a heavy thud a couple meters away.

"RAINBOW!" The group yelps at their fallen friend the horror in their eyes increasing with every counting second. They quickly move to help her, however my quickly recouped weapon redraws their eyes to me.

"I'm not FUCKING AROUND! Now tell me how to get back, right fucking now!"

"I'm gonna give you a taste of yer own medicine!" The farm-cultured character is next up to show their stuff, and charges horns forward towards me. My arrow lines itself up for a one-way course through the creature's head. With my survival instincts in full throttle, there was no turning back from this.

I feel the string slip between my fingers hastily as the arrow takes off. The infuriated scowling eyes of the orange pony quickly turns to a deathly realization of imminent doom. All in the split second of me waiting for the arrow to claim it's kill, I also witness as a faint purple glow encompass the pony. It grows brighter and brighter before flashing brightly, nanoseconds before the arrow flies through. When the flash dissipates, I am no longer faced with a charging country horse. Just matted down grass where they were running, and my arrow sticking out of the ground just a bit farther behind.

I almost flinch, expecting something to still collide with me. My mind is insanely pounded with more questions. It's already enough that these things have horns and can fly, but they can TELEPORT?!

Before I can bring myself to even equip another arrow, I hear a rapidly accelerating object moving towards me on my left. Without even a moment to duck in time, I witness as an angered rainbow pegasus about to dropkick my face into the ground at a speed too high to comprehend.

*CRACK*



*thud*


- - - - -

My consciousness slowly regains in complete darkness before I attain my senses back. With my eyelids closed, I see what little light has made its way to my retinas. I squint an eye open. With my head laying on my left I do my best to examine what’s around me.

If I had woken up like this one random morning, I would be convinced that I was abducted by aliens. Quiet beeps and zaps emanate from strange upright machines that surround me, with a purpose that's unknown to me.

My next best guess would be that I woke up in a hospital. But the fact that I'm strapped down to a hard, stone table would rebuttal that thought.

I strain my muscles, finding that they are sick with fatigue and achiness; not to mention the killer headache. There feels to be a shackle on the end of all of my limbs. I can only lift my head so much to examine my body, although it hurts too much to do so anyway. All of my equipment was removed, and only my pants and shirt remain. With a visual of my current situation, I deduce that I'm not going anywhere.

Past my feet, a small set of steps led up to a heavy wooden door with a golden handle. I hear it slowly twist, and peak open with a quiet creak.

The face of the dragon creature from earlier on ganders inside the room. Our eyes immediately meet. And even with my body completely strapped down, my glare of raw animalistic anger is enough to make him back down.

The door swings open completely, revealing the same group of ponies that I had encountered earlier. They were likely the ones that brought me here. My glare of acrimony proves useless towards the larger group, being overpowered by a small army of colorful horses.

“Well, t’seems tuh be awake now.” I recognize that orange pony's voice, with a clearly distasteful tone in it. As they all move further into the room, I see all 7 faces hover over me, though I continue to stare at the ceiling, emotionless My mind races a mile a minute, and my ass is clenching so hard I feel like it could break the stone beneath me. I do my best to hide my discomfort, but I'm sure they are well aware.

In my peripheral, I see the purple one frown, then sigh. “Girls, I think it’d be best if it was just me in here. Too many ponies in here at once might be too much for it.”

The other girls look to each other for recognition, not seeming to be content with the idea. "I donno Twilight, you saw how violent it got." I bite my tongue as I hear that rainbow pony talk. I catch her glance for a moment, and through the look of pure hatred it is enough for me to notice her swollen purple cheek.

I smile internally at that at least, but I assume mine is much worse.

"It'll be fine as long as he stays on the table." The purple one confirms. Her words are apparently satisfying enough for the others, and they make their way out the door. Along with the baby dragon.

Baby dragon... Ponies with wings and unicorn horns... What's next?

There is a silence for a bit, and when Twilight finally puts together her words, she speaks. “So… Spike told me last night you came into our house. That is why we came looking for you.” She looks at me with somewhat caring eyes, though I don’t look back. "We were never intending to hurt you."

"Can you let me out of here." I speak more as a demand rather than asking.

Her ears flatten against her head, though I keep my gaze away from her. "I'm sorry," She speaks softly. "but I can't do that without knowing you might hurt one of my friends."

"I don't even want to BE here. If you unshackled me and directed me to the door, you would never see me again. Isn't that what you want?" I desperately attempt to bargain an escape.

She pauses, uncertain with what to answer with. "I'm not necessarily sure about that either. I have never seen anycreature like you before. And judging by the books in my library, neither has the rest of Equestria!" She confesses, hoping to change something in my mind. "If that's true, we may have discovered an entirely new species; maybe even a new land if we find where you came from!"

“I don't give a shit about any of that!" An actual laugh escapes my throat to prove my point further. "This is all some stupid shitstorm that wasn't supposed to happen. I just want to go back and fix it before anything else goes wrong."

That, or I die from a fatal aneurism after witnessing all of this.

“Fix what? Maybe we can help-"

“I’ve survived long enough to figure things out on my own, alright?” I speak in a condescending tone, hoping to finally quiet her, though it only increases her interest.

“Survived what?” She looks into my eyes. I avoid hers, dragging my eyes to the opposite side of the room. Pretending to admire the rest of the equipment.

“Survived..." I shake my head in disbelief, then dart my eyes to her. "Have you been living under a rock for the last 10 years?! The fucking APOCALYPSE!”

She flinches back again, regardless of the fact that I am not threat to her whilst restrained. Her mind tries to wrap around that word. "The, apocalypse? What apocalypse?"

I bite down any remarks that are about to spew out of my mouth, and sigh slowly through my nose instead. My eyes close softly as my neck and body loses it's tension. "You wouldn't get it. Obviously I'm somewhere really fucking far away."

We both sit in silence for a moment, as the unicorn tries to make some sense of all this mess. "Look, I know you don't want to be here. You don't want to talk, and you don't want to make friends. I understand." She moves closer as she continues. "But I may need your help to get you back if it comes to it. If you don't know how you got here, I know even less..."

I begin to listen more intently to her words.

"So if you want a chance of getting back... to wherever you came from. You'll need to help us, help you."

My eyes glide open slowly to stare blankly at the ceiling above me. I am completely disoriented, lost, possibly mentally handicapped, and absolutely at the hands of this miniature horse creature.

I realize I'm not left with much of a choice.

"If I answer whatever questions you have, you'll let me leave?"

“Of course!” She finally sprouts a smile, seemingly glad to have made some sort of progress.

"Then let's get it over with, I don't want to be here any longer than I have to." I announce to her clearly, making some eye contact that she holds onto with a convincing look of her own.

"Of course, but... I may be wrong, but don't you have some questions too? I'm sure this is all very confusing for you as well."

I refuse to lie to myself. "Yeah. I do."

Her smile enhances slightly, her presence feeling somewhat more warm and calm. "Good."

“...so where do we start.” I grumble, slyly eyeing my weapons that lean up against the wall near the door.

Twilight grimaces, satisfied that she's finally getting what she wanted. “Well, I have plenty of questions to ask. But first, I think I should introduce you to my friends first.”

Author's Note:

Still going through and reupdating older chapters. I think I may alternate between releasing new chapters and rewriting old ones so you guys aren't waiting even longer than you already have.