• Published 30th Jul 2014
  • 3,021 Views, 96 Comments

Thief - conTROLLER234



I am one of many survivors in the zombie apocalypse, though I am very different from all of them. I used to say that before what happened, where I went, somewhere I never meant to go to.

  • ...
25
 96
 3,021

Chapter 12 Never as Easy as it Sounds

Thief

Chapter 12

Never as Easy as it Sounds

The trip back didn’t seem as bad as the first time, maybe because I was prepared for what was going to happen. We teleported back to Ponyville, and Twilight must’ve been directing it because we teleported right back onto the apple orchard, in front of the barn. The others were there, waiting eagerly for Twilight to return. When she did, everyone ran over to us, relieved that Twilight was back, but still had worry in their eyes.

“Pinkie Pie is still missing!” Rarity cried to her, hugging onto Twilight’s neck.

“Don’t worry everypony, we’ll find her.” Twilight hugged her back, then pulled away. “We’ll put together a search team, I’ll take the guards with me and-”

“Don’t bother.” I simply interrupted. “Now that we have a better defence, you all need to keep this place well defended as long as possible. I’ll go find her if it’s that important.”

“What? What makes y’all think you could go find ‘er alone?” AppleJack stepped forward, though I had already began walk towards town.

“Because you’d all be dead if it weren’t for me.” I left them quiet as I turned to Twilight before I went too far. “Twilight, I’m leaving you with the defence plan. Make blueprints to build a fence around the perimeter and barricade the barn. That’s where everyone will be.” I left her with that order as I walked out, and Twilight nodded.

“He’s a bit...unpredictable.” Rarity sighed, watching me leave.

“It might seem that way to us, but I’m sure he has his own tactics.” Twilight replied, thinking about what John had left her with. “What he said about no one being different in the apocalypse was right. Being a princess of friendship isn’t going to help with this situation as far as I know.”

“Don’t worry Twi, we’re all here tuh help eachother. We’re gonna push through this, with or without John.” AppleJack said strongly, though Twilight turned to her with a disapproving frown.

“I’m sorry AJ, but although the truth might sting a bit, we are all dependant on John. At least for now. So we might as well get comfortable around him, and his attitude.”

“..I don’t think he’s that bad.” The ponies listening turned to Fluttershy who just spoke barely above a whisper, and she hid behind her mane as they all did so. “H-He might’ve done some violent things, but we have to remember he’s done it all to protect us. And he can actually be kind hearted at times-”

“When he’s not being a jerk to the rest of us!” Rainbow Dash cut it rudely, hovering off the ground. “If we have to deal with him, then fine. But I’m not turning my back with him around.” She crossed her hooves.

Twilight sighed. “Do whatever you need to do, we just have to cope with this. This is all new to us, except for him. He knows what he’s doing.”

“Let’s hope so..” Rarity sighed quietly, standing beside Sweetie Belle.

“Princess,” One of the guards spoke from beside Twilight. “what the..” He paused to clear his throat. “stallion, spoke of is true. We need to think of a plan for defence.”

Twilight suddenly stood tall, taking charge. “Ahem. Yes, of course. Give me a minute to think of a plan. Follow me to the barn.” Twilight ordered as she walked towards the barn, the guards and everypony else following. Except for Dash, who was still looking in the direction John had walked.

“I’ll catch up!” She yelled, and once everypony was in the barn, she took off flying after John.

- - - - -

I sighed in happy relief as I walked at a steady pace. I smiled briefly; I was finally gone from those ponies and had some time to myself. “It feels good to be alone again-”

“Hey John! Wait up!”

I quickly turned to the sound of the irritating rainbow horse as she flew towards me, easily getting closer and closer. I grunted in agony as I felt that I had to scare her off again. I didn’t stop walking, as if to seem like I didn’t notice her as she landed beside me.

She waited a few moments before frowning and hovering up in front of my face. “Hello?”

“What do you want?” I glared at her, walking around her. I heard her sigh in irritation as she flew back up in front of me.

“I’m coming with you, and I don’t care what you say.” She crossed her hooves, though my glare made her wall of courage collapse easily.

“If you get caught in trouble I’m not saving you.” I spoke flatly as I pushed her aside and kept walking. She turned around and watched me walk away from her.

“You’re, not going to stop me?” She asked, disappointment in her voice.

“Nope.”

There was a moment of silence as I walked further and further from her, getting closer to town. She flew in front of me once again, and this time I finally stopped walking. “But don’t you-! Ackk!!”

She gripped onto my arms as I grabbed her throat again, and put her to the ground as I glared over her, holding her down.

She squirmed violently as I spoke, and I tried as hard as I could to hold down her hooves, as she was incredibly strong. “Look, you’re making a big mistake here. Just because I’m helping you, it doesn’t mean we’re friends. So if you keep bugging me there’s no one here to save you.” I got up and continued on my journey, leaving her in the grass as she coughed and rubbed her throat.

I heard her quickly climb up out of the grass. “I’m coming with you because I want to find my friend! And I know you’ll keep me safe because I was told you’re actually kind hearted!”

I came close to stopping, almost tripping over my feet, but I kept my cool and continued on. “And who told you that?”


“Fluttershy did!”


This time I froze in my tracks. I found myself looking down at the ground instead of what awaited me.

“...Go home, Dash.”

She hesitated for a moment. “..W-What?”

“Go. Home.”

Her hesitation disappeared as it was replaced with anger. “No! I’m going to find my friend-”

“Go home before you get yourself killed! The others need you and I’ll find Pinkie on my own!”

She took a step back in slight awe. I couldn’t tell what she was thinking by her face, and at this point I was too annoyed to care. But if I had to guess she might’ve thought I actually cared for her a little bit, but just showed it in violent ways. Either way, she waited in silence for a few moments, before nodding and turning around.

“...Okay.” I sighed quietly in relief as we both began walking our separate ways. Before she stopped again, but didn’t turn around. “J-John?”

I stopped myself lazily, then jerked my head around. “What?”

“...Thanks. For caring.”

I bit my tongue as I watched her, searching desperately for some words, and came across one. “..whatever.” I then continued to walk to the infectious town.

I almost felt Dash smile from behind me as she headed back to the farm.

- - - - -

Dash returned to the farm, flapping her wings just enough to stay airborne as she moved over to the barn. She dropped to the ground in front of the doors and poked her head inside as she heard voices.

“Although a fence is a good idea, we don’t have enough supplies to build a wall around the entire perimeter.”

“If I may suggest your majesty. Because this plague has taken out the entire town, we could end up taking down houses and furniture for wood and metal if we need it.”

“I don’t know. Nopony really knows how long this is going to last, so we don’t want to jump straight to taking down the town for supplies. Although we are in desperate need..”

The ponies stopped their conversation as they noticed Dash walk in.

“Dash!” Twilight spoke, turning to Dash. “There you are. Where did you-”

“I was going to go look for Pinkie. But I know John will find her. Some part of me just does.” Dash sighed, and in the back Fluttershy smiled.

“Well let’s hope so. Because we’ve thought of a plan to use the Harmony power against the infection, and see if it will work as a cure.” Twilight unraveled, and beside her AJ added in.

“Though of course fer that we need Pinkie. The magic ain’t strong enough without all the elements.” She frowned, and Dash walked over to them.

“Let’s not worry about her right now, she’ll be coming back. Have we thought of anything regarding to the defences?” Dash asked Twilight, who widened her eyes and raised her eyebrows at Dash, who had suddenly seemed a lot more confident.

“Well, we were talking about building a fence, but we don’t have enough supplies for that yet. We would have to build a smaller fence around the farm, so it wouldn’t stretch as far. And we might have to set up some traps too, but we’ll leave that to John.”

“Maybe that’s somethin’ we should get started on.” AppleJack suggested, and the others agreed.

“Good. Everypony grab something that we could use for building a fence. This will take a while.

- - - - -

Dash was helping with gathering whatever they could scavenge for the new addition to the farm, when suddenly Fluttershy walked up to her.

“Um, Rainbow Dash?” She spoke quietly, just barely enough for Dash to hear.

“Hmm?” Dash turned to her. “Oh, hey Fluttershy. What’s up?”

“I’m, um, happy that you believe in John too.” She smiled lightly, and Dash shrugged.

“Anypony who goes out of their way to save one of my friends is cool in my books. Even though he’s killed, a lot of ponies… I’m trying to forget about that.”

“Good.” She walked up closer to Dash. “Because I feel that everypony else is sort of against him, and I don’t want him to feel unwelcome. Because he is trying hard to help us, even though he doesn’t have to or may not want to. I just want you to help me stick up for him is all.”

“As long as he doesn’t try to pull any funny business, sure.”

- - - - -

“RAAGGHHH!!!” A loud crack was heard as my fist came in contact with the wall inside the house I was in, then went through it. “I can’t take this fucking place anymore. These ponies are getting to me. They’re changing me. I’m not myself anymore. By the time we’re all dead I’ll be picking flowers in a grassy field.”

I pulled my arm out of the wall, brushing the dust off of it. “Just keep it together. At least Fluttershy seems okay. And I don’t know what to think of Dashhhhhhfffffuck now I’m TALKING TO MYSELF!”

Just as I was about to beat the poor wall again, I looked through the window and saw a familiar pink mare walking down the street. But this time, her mane was completely straight, and she was a lot less bouncier than usual.

“This can’t be good…”