• Published 30th Jul 2014
  • 3,016 Views, 96 Comments

Thief - conTROLLER234



I am one of many survivors in the zombie apocalypse, though I am very different from all of them. I used to say that before what happened, where I went, somewhere I never meant to go to.

  • ...
25
 96
 3,016

Chapter 3 Flashback

Thief

Chapter 3

Flashback

The sweet taste of saltwater air mixed with the rhythmic influence of the waves creates a calm ambiance that only the ocean could conceive. A distant seagull's cry forms the leading vocals for a song created by the crashing wave's percussion. Surrounded by nothing but deep blue, the ferry drives onwards with a quiet pleasing hum that had the potential to lull any grown man into a solemn slumber.

I’ve been lying here for about an hour, but I can’t seem to fall asleep. Before I got on here I was up pretty late, packing. I am still tired, but something keeps bothering me, keeping my body from shutting down.

Am I not feeling well? Maybe seasick? No, I’ve never had those problems before. Excitement? No, that wasn’t it either. I rush through a bunch of emotions in my head, when I suddenly stop on fear. And that was it, fear was keeping me from falling asleep. Why fear? Why did I feel like something was about to happen?

I smile and chuckle to myself, thinking it was because I might think the ship will sink. I recall all of the safety procedures that I had to listen to before we started moving, so I know I’d be safe if anything like that happens. I think about that, hoping it will get the feeling to go away, but it doesn’t. It was something besides the boat, it was something that was on it.

The thought makes me open my eyes and look around, like a worried mother looking for her child. All the people seemed calm, some sleeping. But other than that everything seemed O.K.. I sigh once again and force my eyes shut, a bit irritated that I don’t know what is keeping me awake.

My eyes shoot wide and so does everyone else’s around me as we all hear a blood curdling scream come from behind us. My legs fire me onto my feet, and I turn around. Other passengers do the same.

Some poor woman, is getting pinned down by someone! I scratch that as the attacker turns to me and looks me dead in the eyes. She was getting pinned down by something. People begin to panic, radically joining the scream fest and putting as much distance between the woman and themselves as possible.

One burly, brave man attempts to go save the woman who has already been carved open like a turkey on thanksgiving. Even a man of his size is thrown against a wall by the attacker, only to be the next meal of the frenzying person.

By now, sirens are going off around the boat, and people are scattering away from the creature in panic. I see a few more monsters come from around the corner and begin to run at some other civilians, bringing them to the ground as well. Some guards had come out from some doors to beat the living hell out of the things, though quite the opposite happened. Even a fully equipped and trained security guard is nothing compared to whatever these things are.

Time slows down as I look at everything going on around me. Seeing all of these innocent people, getting eaten alive by god knows what. Everything in my mind restores as I notice one of the creatures spot me, and begin to limp towards me. I also see that I am still in the same spot where I had first stood up, and force myself out of my trance. I grab my bag and sling it over my shoulder as I bolt away, heart beating faster than ever. I run towards one of the hallways around the boat, though it’s blocked by the monsters.

This allows me to get a closer look at whatever has taken over this boat. The closest thing I can use to describe them, would be undead… zombies. Their eyes are blood-shotted, veins pop out of every part of their body like they're all on steroids. Their screams sound like the death of a thousand souls, and their hands look like they could penetrate metal.

Before I turn around to stay alive, I suddenly notice a small young child, curled up in a corner, hiding from the monsters. The amazing thing was, none of the monsters saw him. Taking no notice of his presence, the monsters just stroll right past him.

I embed that thought into my mind; that it works to hide from them. I’m pulled back to reality as I suddenly feel something grab my arm. And with a well known reflect, I pull away, though it doesn’t work. I turn to see one of the things try to bite my arm, and I quickly push its head away with my hand. Again, it isn’t enough.

I kick him in the stomach, knowing I don’t have much time until I get surrounded by these things. It falls to the ground, and I’m already around the corner before it gets back up. When I recover from the attack, I look around. I’m back where I started. I look outside to the deck, and spot the door to go out there. No one was supposed to go out, but it was worth a try to see if it wasn’t locked.

I run over to it and twist the knob, and of course, locked. I kick the door with all my might, though it doesn’t budge, but I hear a satisfying crack come from it. It made a lot of sound, even over the screaming, and it attracts some of the creatures. I notice, and kick it again. The crack is louder, and I can see the door beginning to give in. The moans from the monsters behind me get louder and louder, and I back away, then run as fast as I can at the door with my legs outstretched in front of me.

There’s an ear-deafening crack and the doors fly open, with me following them. I fall onto my back on the other side, and about 3 of the creatures follow less than 4 meters behind me. I crawl out onto the deck, then struggle to get up on my feet. I gasp when my eyes meet a red case with a large, fire axe in it. I take in one last breath then make a break for it.

A few of the things try to grab me and thankfully miss, falling to the ground. I make it to the case, and there’s a glass cover, keeping me from the weapon. The is a small, steel rod attached to a small chain, and I grab it, hitting the glass with it as hard as I possibly could.

The glass shatters after a few hits, and my hand goes in after it. The safety glass falls gently around my hand, allowing me to grab the heavy axe with ease. I spin around, axe within my tightened grasp as I ready myself.

My heart is racing faster than ever before, and I yell out as I swing the weapon at one of the things’ legs. It easily cripples the creature, and it begins to crawl towards me still, bones sticking out of it’s useless, bottom limbs.

One of the other things lunge towards me, and I smash him upside the head with the backside of the hammer, sending his head back and his spine breaking with a loud crack. It’s body continues to stand, even with it's back and spine basically broken. It continues limping hopelessly towards me.

The creatures heave closer towards me, and I’m already tired from swinging this heavy weapon around. Adrenaline and stress contradicting each other, causing me to thing radically.
I swing the axe another time, into the standing one’s side. I gasp, horrified as it seems almost completely unaffected by my attack, and my axe gets lodged in his torso. I use the rest of my energy to kick the creature away. The axe handle slips out of my hand as the monster stumbles backwards, and off the railing of the boat. I witness as it takes my only hope of survival with it.

I look back over at what’s happening, and it seems that more of the monsters are now attracted to me than anyone else who is still alive, though there is no sign of life. Unless these things are still people… I turn around and run to the side of the boat, and back away as my sense of acrophobia takes over my body, pushing away my adrenaline. I look to my side, the things are getting closer.

I know I only have one choice to live.

I yell at the top of my lungs as I sprint as fast as I can in the short distance and leap over the railing. The sound of the moaning and screaming is replaced by the sound of bubbles and water. After a few seconds, I resurface and swim over to the closest boat that had been dropped for safety. None of the other ones had been taken, telling me no one else survived this attack.

I brace myself as I hear multiple splashes sound from behind me. With a quick glance, I witness the monsters still chasing me. They fall lazily over the railing, and into the water. Being pushed by their own fellow deadmen.

After climbing onto the boat and starting the engine, I drive towards the close Victoria Island, whimpering softly to myself as I think about what had just happened.

Never looking back at where I just escaped from, tears stream down my face as my body recovers from the hell I somehow managed to escape from.