• Published 9th Jan 2015
  • 697 Views, 25 Comments

One Mask Among Many. - Golden Paw



Technological advances have lifted Equestria to a better quality of life than ever before, but moral implications become apparent when an 'envoy' from an old foe comes asking for help.

  • ...
6
 25
 697

Epilogue

“How did she get like this, I mean she could have talked to somepony surely?” Twilight watched Cadance through the glass of hospital wing and Zip wished he knew the answer.

“She’s lost and hurt Twilight. She needed somepony to blame,” Celestia replied sadly, her gentle face full of sorrow.

Cadance lay sleeping in a white covered bed, her mane frazzled and her face full of sadness. Zip had never seen her so worn and diminished. At her side was Shining Armour who held Cadance's hoof tenderly while their three children stood mutely around the room.

“Is Shining going to die? I mean he didn't say anything to me about being ill?” Twilight asked as she glanced at Celestia, the fear pouring off her.

Celestia didn't respond right away, but instead gave Twilight a comforting hug, “He's old Twilight, nothing wholesome in this world is going to prevent time from taking its eventual toll. Nor should we be begrudge such.”

Zip felt his own heart sink as Twilight's face screwed up in doubt, “That's easy for you to say Celestia. You're timeless and never have to face that problem.”

“Don't I?” Celestia asked and looked Twilight right in the eyes, “Not for myself no, but I still have to weather the loss of those I care for. I know they're not gone of course, but I still miss them all the same.”

Twilight's expression softened, “You never did tell me exactly what comes after this life Celestia.”

“I didn't did I,” Celestia agreed and Zip shared in Twilight's growing frustration as she snorted angrily.

Why won't you tell me?” Twilight stamped a hoof only for Celestia to smile indulgently.

“I could describe to you all the wondrous things that come after this mortal toil Twilight, the things to be seen and the joy awaiting the good and loyal, but then you would only long to be there and I need your mind in the here and now,” Celestia explained and Twilight pouted.

Zip pushed their conversation aside as in the room beyond Cadance slowly opened her eyes and blinked in confusion. He could hear the cheers coming from her family even through the thick glass as they all realised she was awake.

“To answer your question Twilight, we did talk to her. Luna and I took a great deal of time to council Cadance on how to cope with loss and grief,” Celestia frowned, “However It seems we did not do enough.”

Cadance's smile was short lived and her face filled with horror before Shining and the others hugged her tightly. Zip couldn't hear what they were talking about, but clearly the princess was deeply distraught and he thought it was a pretty safe bet as to the topic.

“She will need a break, a time away from things,” Celestia said with a heavy voice, “Clearly she's in no fit state to manage her duties right now and I think that the family and you Twilight will get some quality time together.”

“But how did it get this bad Celestia, I mean couldn't you have done something?” Twilight asked again and Zip saw the resigned look in Celestia's eyes.

“What? Watch her all day every day? Make sure she never made a slip up or showed signs of distress?” Celestia asked and Twilight's ears drooped. “I could ask you the same thing Twilight, were you there every moment Cadance needed you? Did you place guards on her to make sure she was doing everything perfectly?”

Zip shied back as Twilight's eyes became angry, “How was I meant to know she'd do something like this? You're the one who has lived from the dawn of time!”

To Zip's amazement Celestia laughed, “We may be old Twilight, but that doesn't mean we're all knowing. We're not perfect Twilight and you can only do so much if a pony isn’t open with their true feelings.” Celestia gave Twilight a reproving look, “Would you be judge and jury over all our actions? Should we be over yours?”

“Well no, but....” Twilight began again but trailed off under Celestia's resolute gaze.

Zip saw that everypony in the room beyond was now tearful, there were lots of kisses and weak smiles. Cadance closed her worn eyes and hugged Shining Armour all the tighter.

“We do the best with what we have Twilight. Sometimes we stumble, that's part of life. That we choose to get up again and keep trying, that's what is important,” Celestia smiled sadly at Cadance and her family. Zip saw a tiny tear in her eye.

“But who cleans up after us?” Twilight asked solemnly.

“Everything will be accounted for, don't you worry Twilight. In the end there will be a just reckoning and thankfully it's not down to us to make that final call,” Celestia said and gave Twilight a hug. “But enough of this, your sister in law could do with a big hug.” Celestia nodded to Twilight who smiled weakly in return.

Twilight headed for the adjoining door and the two guards parted solemnly to let her through. Zip made to follow Twilight but found Celestia's hoof blocking his path, “No, no little one. This is a time for family.”

Zip forced himself to look up into Celestia's face and wilted as he saw the accumulated wisdom of ages staring back at him, still, feeling bold Zip swallowed his nerves, “What happens now your highness?”

Celestia looked for a moment like she wouldn't answer, but then smiled in a way that melted Zip's heart, “For Cadance, a long road of recovery. She will have to be called to answer for those actions she has done. I think that everypony will see she was not in her right mind for most of it and so that will be taken into account.”

Zip nodded as Celestia continued on, “As for the Crystal Fiefdom, they will be without a ruler for a time. I believe that Luna would be up for the job while Cadance recovers. Give her a chance to spread her wings and get to see more of Equestria.”

Zip looked puzzled, “Princess may I ask something?”

Celestia grinned knowingly, “You can ask.”

Zip fidgeted, “Why...why did you let Twilight bring me along to this? I mean this is high level state matters and very personal information.”

Celestia's grin only widened, “Well I could try and keep these things secret, but something tells me that a number of little sprites have a knack of finding out such things. I heard whispers of a new spy network being formed?”

Zip felt his jaw drop, “But we were so careful, how....”

Celestia laughed and Zip could only stare in befuddlement as Celestia as she wiped a tear from her eye, “Not bad for a first try I have to admit, but Luna has been at that game for far longer than you little one.” Celestia's eyes sparkled, “With some further training and guidance you could make a very useful addition to Luna's own impressive contacts.”

Zip could hardly believe his ears, “You’re not angry?”

The look Celestia gave him told Zip everything he needed to know on that point, “Sorry your highness we should have thought....”

“And think you shall little one, I see that Twilight's little experiment has yielded some very unexpected results,” Celestia winked playfully, “I'm sure she'd be very proud to know you're helping keep the peace in Equestria.”

Celestia’s cheerful manner dimmed for a moment, “Secrets have caused enough pain already, time to be more open with our people.”

Zip didn’t hear Celestia’s last words so lost was he in his own thoughts. His heart leaped, he would be doing something important and useful. Forgetting all protocol he surged forward and hugged Celestia's thick neck.

Startled from her revery Celestia smiled again before laughing gently. She carefully detached Zip with a flick of her horn's magic, “Just promise me you will only tell those ponies who need to know things you discover alright? Let us be the judge of what is important.”

Zip nodded excitedly and gave a little salute, “You have my word your majesty.”

Celestia raised an eyebrow, “You will answer directly to Luna and she is a much harsher master than myself understand?”

Zip almost exploded with the sense of value filling his little heart, “When do we begin your highness?”

Celestia nodded and glanced back at the observation room where Twilight had quickly joined in the group hug, “Right away little one, it's a time for change and new beginnings.

Her face became serious again, “Twilight wasn’t wrong, someone needs to clean up after this and we need to do it right.”


“So we will have equal rights with other citizen of Equestria?” Chrysalis asked and Grizz could feel the doubt in her even from across the wide negotiating table.

“Every drone will be entitled to protection yes, but will also need to obey our laws,” Silver Tongue replied evenly.”

“And our royal selves?” Chrysalis asked without a hint of trust.

“Of course you will I.....” Silver Tongue began only for Chrysalis to thump the table in anger.

“Utterly unacceptable,” She hissed at Silver who visibly paled under her gaze.

“Come on Chrysalis, the laws are there to protect everyone. You can't expect Equestria to let you blast anypony you don't like just because you're in a bad mood?” Grizz said with a chuckle.

Chrysalis shook her head, “That's not the problem Grizz, I already understand that we will have to adopt some more 'cultured' behaviour as Silver puts it.”

“Then what is it your highness?” Silver asked in exasperation.

Chrysalis gave her queen a predatory wink and Grizz saw a naughty glint in her eyes, “Section fifty seven, clause c.” Grizz knew that look, What are you planning Chrissy?

Silver glanced at the mentioned law and raised his eyebrows in surprise, “The law of marriage and matrimonial conduct? What could you possibly object to with that?”

Chrysalis grinned at Grizz again before replying, “It states here that any male and female of any race may be allowed to enter into a state of marriage with one other of the opposite gender.”

Silver nodded, “Yes it's a well founded....”

“Do you know how many drones are out there Silver and how few queens? That's incredibly unfair on us don't you think?” Chrysalis demanded with a triumphant smile on her face.

Grizz's mouth dropped open and she caught a sly smile from Chrysalis, the thought hadn't even entered Grizz's head.

“May I ask how you conduct such matters then?” Silver asked levelly, his eyes full of concern.

“Simple: The queen chooses her mates, the best from each available bloodline from other hives.”

Mates?” Grizz whispered her eyes growing wide with shock.

“Yes mates, it's always been done that way and is essential for a healthy gene pool,” Chrysalis stated if as this was the simplest matter that could be easily resolved. “As there are only two known queens alive right now then to have a state of monogamy is completely out of the question.”

Both Silver, Grizz the other delegates attending the meeting and Grizz all sat there with stunned expressions. Chrysalis tapped her hoof on the table impatiently, “Well?”

“I er I....” Silver stammered before Celestia who had been watching proceedings with a grin came to his aid.

“Chrysalis, I am fully aware of the nature of your races particular requirements in that regard. You can produce male offspring without a mate correct?” Chrysalis nodded and Grizz made a terrified choking noise.

“Yes what of it?” Chrysalis replied nonplussed, “Every queen needs to produce about three to four hundred drones in the first year as a basic start for a hive.”

“Three to four hundred in the first year,” Grizz mumbled as her world tilted.

“But we have many drones already, so a mere two hundred should round things off nicely,” Chrysalis explained, waggling her eyebrows at Grizz who suddenly felt very ill indeed.

“So you won't need to spawn a new queen for sometime then?” Celestia asked her gentle smile never changing.

“Well no, I do admit that we could hold off on that for a while,” Chrysalis replied.

Celestia nodded and Grizz felt relief wash over her, before Chrysalis spoke up again, “Still we should get the union of our queen and suitable drones arranged as soon as possible. She can store their 'contributions' until we're ready to create a new hive.”

Celestia ignored the colour draining from Grizz's face, “Well she's a new queen, maybe just one husband for now? That gives us time to decide if Equestria is ready for more 'creative' solutions to your plight?”

Grizz felt the world spinning around her as Celestia looked to Silver who was also scrunching his muzzle up in disgust, “That would maintain the law of monogamy before we are able to discuss it further at more appropriate date?”

Silver nodded in a daze and made some more notes on his datapad before Chrysalis moved to her next point, “Okay we can leave that point for now, but what about other species? Drones do not mate with non-changelings. The law is too open on that front: females choose their mates, males cannot be allowed to begin a courting. I cannot allow drones to be wooed away by some pony or griffon. Where would it end?”

There was a gasp that ran around the room and to Grizz's astonishment Celestia simply grinned all the wider, “Now, now Chrysalis. I know many of our ways are strange to you as are yours to us.”

“Assuming someone would find a drone attractive in the first place I don't see why....” Silver muttered darkly.”

“Are you saying my children are ugly?” Chrysalis snapped before Silver mumbled some kind of apology.

Grizz's attentions faded from the crowded room, “Three to four hundred drones in the first year? She glanced down at her belly and could almost picture the eggs already being formed within. “Oh my, this is going to be a far bigger job than I thought......”


“This will do nicely, it's so kind that you allowed us the space,” Grizz said as she looked over the glittering walls of her new home.

“Well it's been sitting here unused for far too many years now Grizz and I'm happy to know it will suit your special needs,” Twilight replied as she trotted alongside her daughter.

Grizz felt the first rumblings of pre-birth stirrings and Twilight looked at her with concern, “You're sure you're up to this I mean we could do it another time?”

Grizz smiled weakly, “No, no I got this.” She straightened and nodded to Twilight, “They will just have to wait until I'm good and ready.”

Scrund, never far away these days, took Grizz's hoof tenderly, “My queen you should rest, the drones can complete the inspection.”

Grizz shooed him away, “Thank you dearest, but I've got a lot of little boys depending on me to do this right.”

“He's right you know. Let the drones do the work, it's what they are for,” Chrysalis added with a little smile.

“Not on your life Chrysalis, I'm the one in charge here and I'll not be known for sitting around on my rump while the boys do all the work!” Grizz hissed.

“But they want to your highness,” Scrund urged, “You've given them a new lease of life my dear. They are full of food and hope and you made that possible.”

Grizz looked into her husband's single eye and felt her heart leap, “It's time I started pulling my weight around here though.”

“You're doing a fine job of that already my queen,” Chrysalis smiled wickedly and Twilight glared at her.

“When you've got a whole army in your thorax then you see how easy it is for you to keep a trim figure!” Grizz didn't have the heart to tell Twilight she was just giving Chrysalis ammunition and instead whispered a loving 'thank you' into Scrund's ever attentive ear.

“I did and I did it with style Princess,” Chrysalis replied mockingly.

Another ripple of movement passed through Grizz and she found herself (not for the first time) wondering why she'd ever signed up for this. Eating, that had been a new experience, sleeping too was kind of nice. To sink into an oblivion where her mind could rest for a time. Now she was going through one of life's great ‘pleasures’ and was finding the whole event less than appealing.

“Well go easy on Grizz, she's new to all this okay!” Twilight shouted back and a number of busy drones paused in their tasks to watch the scene.


“Fine I'll coddle her if you insist, but I didn't become queen by being nice,” Chrysalis warned only for Twilight to roll her eyes.

“You were born a queen Chrysalis, it's all you've ever known!” Twilight yelled back and Grizz felt a meaningful shudder pass through her.

She leaned in close to Scrund and quickly whispered,“Um dearest, I don't think they are going to wait much longer...”

Scrund's face filled with panic, “Are you sure your highness, I mean it's your first brood you may...”

“Oh I know trust me. Come on leave these two, they will be at it for hours I’m sure,” Grizz replied as another shiver ran through her.

“The off side main chamber is practically completed your majesty, I could make it more comfortable for you?” Grizz smiled as Scrund panicked. Why do men always freak out at times like this? Maybe because I’m about to as well?

Another heave within her gut answered that question for her and Grizz wasted no more time with words, but simply nodded for Scrund to go and do. The air in the new hive suddenly became charged and the drones acted with more haste than before as Grizz waddled her way along. Several drones had broken away from their tasks and seemed bent on attending to her every step of the way. She didn't have the heart to tell them to go.

The shimmering crystal formations lining the caverns under Canterlot passed her by as Grizz allowed herself to be ushered into the awaiting chamber. “The place is looking good boys, well done,” She gasped again, the straining was becoming more frequent now.

Grizz smiled warmly as she saw Scrund and several of her boys arranging pillows and covers in a frantic buzzing frenzy. “Where did you get these?” Grizz winced before she felt her insides give the biggest heave yet.

“The castle your highness,” 'Wignt' announced proudly before Grizz scowled at him. “With permission of course,” he added and Grizz smiled before she laid down on the rich cloth.

“You know this will probably spoil them right?” Grizz chuckled before gritting her fangs, “Wow that was a good one!”

“We know your highness, but.....”

“I was only joking.....” Grizz began before her body really started to push.....


“Sorry, but the queen ordered not to be disturbed,” Chrysalis looked down at the drone who was wearing a helmet, an actual helmet! She peered closer and watched the pair of blue eyes staring at her from under a pony made piece of armour. Oh this hive is already going to the dogs.

Though she was forced to admit that it was a well made helmet. It seemed to have been designed with a drone in mind. Probably adapted from a unicorn's one, Chrysalis mused before she realised what was happening and bared her fangs angrily.

“I am chief adviser to the queen, I should be in there with her during this time of need,” Chrysalis was still getting use to the idea of being just an ‘advisor’, but found life far less complicated now.

“Sorry mu...Chrysalis, but queen's orders,” The drone saluted.

“Orders what orders?” Chrysalis snapped and the drone faithfully explained.

“She said: If those two are so busy arguing then they can darn well stay outside and miss the whole thing....urrrgh!”

Chrysalis turned to Twilight who shrugged before asking, “Urrrgh?”

“That's what she said,” The drone confirmed and Chrysalis shook her head.

“Some habits die hard, why do drones insist on repeating orders verbatim,” Chrysalis muttered before fixing the drone with her best authoritative glare, “I will not be spoken to in such a manner do you hear me! Let me in.”

To her rising anger the drone shook his head, “Sorry mum but queen's orders.”

“Freedom of choice. I knew it would be a bad idea,” Chrysalis hissed and looked to Twilight for help.”

“Don't look at me, it's your hive,” Twilight replied and Chrysalis caught the faintest smugness in her tone.

“Being told what to do by one of my own children, oh I should have stayed dead,” Chrysalis stomped angrily.

“Aww don't say that mum, we'd miss you if you went,” The drone said with a hurt voice.

“Maybe I'll just starve you for a while, then you'd become more compliant?” Chrysalis pressed her nose against the drone who to his credit didn't shy away.

“You're not in charge of rations mum, sorry,” He responded and Chrysalis caught the sniggering from Twilight beside her.

“Yes I can see clearly who wears the crown in your hive Chrissy,” Twilight said and Chrysalis felt the urge to blast something.

“Grizz said she'd never call me that in front of the drones, what makes you think you can?” Chrysalis shrieked, but Twilight simply grinned back.

Before further violence could break out the door opened and Scrund stood in the revealed space, “Will you two keep it down, the Queen is resting.”

“You too huh? Traitor,” Chrysalis muttered and Scrund simply smiled back at her.

He gave them both a long stare, “Grizz said you can come in, as long as you both behave.”

Twilight gave Chrysalis an 'I told you so' look before trotting past the guards and with a click of annoyance Chrysalis followed.

The chamber beyond was now full of glowing green pods, each one roughly the size of a large cherry and attached with thick green resin to almost every available surface. This left just a narrow 'corridor' leading to their mother who lay centre of it all with greatly relieved smile on her face. Grizz beamed at them before beckoning with a hoof.

Chrysalis looked around the eggs which even now were being tended to by several drones and forced a smile onto her face, “Not bad for your first brood. I mean a little rough, but still you got the job done,” Chrysalis peered into the now very slimy chamber.

“You could have warned me about a few things Chrysalis,” Grizz replied with a tired voice.

“Like what?” Chrysalis said with a grin.

Grizz gave her advisor an angry look, “I have muscles I didn't even know I had screaming at me Chrysalis.”

“Part of the job Grizz, anything else?” Chrysalis continued to inspect each egg in turn, they seemed healthy enough.

“Did there have to be so much slime?” Grizz said with a shudder.

“It's vital to have sufficient lubrication around the eggs, allows for a smooth exit and protects them from the outside air,” Chrysalis explained, enjoying Grizz's look of discomfort.

“One more thing, how do I know if they are all boys like they are suppose to be? I mean I know I'm meant to decide but when do I do that?” Grizz asked as Twilight came forward and held her hoof.

“Well your first brood has to be, once you get the hang of things and the hive reaches a certain size you can start making new queens,” Twilight explained and Chrysalis felt her mouth drop open.

“How did you know that?” She narrowed her eyes at Twilight who shrugged.

“Where else, from a book of course,” Twilight replied and Chrysalis rolled her eyes. Should have known.

“Once a hive reaches a sort of 'critical mass' the queen will begin to access stored ehm... 'contributions' from her mate, mates and use them to seed a new egg,” Twilight said, her face beginning to glow red.

Scrund proceeded to salute and Chrysalis rolled her eyes again, boys were so predictable. Ignoring her son Chrysalis continued to study the fresh eggs with grudging respect as Twilight quickly moved on, “The size of the hive is directly linked to the queen of said hive, the stronger the queen the more drones she can control.”

“I was the best of my sisters you know: I once had thousands of drones doing my every bidding,” Chrysalis added and Twilight glared at her before smiling back at Grizz.

“But with you we have no idea: You have your own food supply and are a new breed of changeling queen so who knows,” Twilight's eyes shone, “Polymorphic-Soliartrus-Sustainus.”

“I'm not some science project mum, this is my life now,” Grizz replied and Chrysalis rolled her eyes at how naive Grizz was being.

“I've only truly known Twilight for a few months now, everything is a science project to her,” Chrysalis muttered, but Twilight gave no sign of hearing her.

“I know Grizz, but it's so exciting to wonder,” Twilight said with barely contained enthusiasm, “A pony-bot who became a changeling drone who went on to be a queen. It's almost unbelievable.”

“Oh believe it, when your demigods and others like them are involved, they specialise in messing up the world,” Chrysalis sneered, “And what is it with you and name for things Twilight?”

“It's important to have everything written down for science,” Twilight replied happily before frowning at Chrysalis, “For once can't you just be happy?”

Grizz gave a warning hiss and all the drones around bared their fangs, “Behave you two, I won't have you upsetting the babies.”

Chrysalis quickly changed the subject, “On that subject how long will that glowing thing in your chest last for Grizz?”

Grizz leant back in her covers and sighed, “Well The Tree said I'd need to come back to it every year and fill up again.”


“Bit like recharging a crystal power core, that's not too different for you Grizz,” Twilight added.

“Yeah, and it's the perfect way to keep us under a tight leash. What happens when you have more mouths to feed? Will it still last a whole year?” Chrysalis asked, certain there was something 'hinky' here.

“If it starts to get depleted then I'll know I'll have reached my limits,” Grizz replied.

Twilight nodded with a helpful smile, “Besides, after the first major spawning your body should calm down and simply keep pace in replacing lost drones. All very efficient.”

“And now you’re a complete expert on changelings now huh?” Chrysalis snipped.

“Since my only daughter became a changeling queen? I have to take notes and make a detailed study of her progress,” Twilight beamed and Chrysalis shook her head in resignation.

“Then at some hopefully distant point I can even begin thinking about having a daughter,” Grizz said, giving a longing look at Scrund who beamed proudly.

“And feed all them with your glowing whatever?” Chrysalis asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Gaiac-Empathical Gland,” Twilight said and Chrysalis stared at her.

“Bless you?” Chrysalis said nonplused.

“Gaiac-Empathical Gland. I was going to call it a sack, but gland sounded much nicer don't you think?” Twilight seemed to be lost in her own little ‘world of science’ and Chrysalis gave up on her.

“Whatever you plan on calling it, you're saying that this thing could feed them too?” Chrysalis asked doubtfully.

“I would postulate that any of Grizz's female offspring would carry the necessary genes to have s gland of their own. Meaning that later generations of changelings could benefit from the same food source as well,” Twilight continued on with her technical speech and Chrysalis narrowed her eyes.

“So what you're saying is that we're bound to that Tree for the rest of eternity huh? I knew there was a catch,” Chrysalis sneered and felt more than a little cheated.

“A lot better than starving to death right? Grizz replied, “We have a grace period to prove we can be good if circumstances were different. Well now they are.”

“Yeah I guess you're right,” Chrysalis said feeling defeated. All in all it could have been far worse. She sat gloomily for a while as Twilight and Grizz chatted away about this and that. It was so strange to see a mother and daughter acting in such a way. Not bad per say and Chrysalis suddenly felt she longed for such.

“There, all done for today's report,” Twilight said cheerfully and looked up at the changelings all around with a curious expression. “Grizz?”

“Yeah mum,” Grizz replied and Chrysalis snapped out of her musings.

“What's with all the scavenged clothes and other debris?” Twilight asked and Chrysalis glanced about the drones, everyone of which wore something vaguely resembling apparel. “They could have proper clothes and armour if they would only ask.”

“They've all gone insane since Grizz became their queen,” Chrysalis said. She'd grown so used to the random assortments the drones wore that she didn't even notice anymore.

“Well I kind of gave them an order to decide things for themselves and well, they did,” Grizz said sheepishly.

“We all decided that we wanted something to tell us all apart,” Scrund explained, “And so as our first act we each chose something to do just that.” Scrund lifted his cooking pot off his head and showed it proudly to Twilight who raised both eyebrows.

“Fascinating, self determination and urge to define one's self from others,” Despite her earlier assertions Twilight clicked open her datapad again and began typing furiously.

Chrysalis held her head in her hooves, “Oh great now look what you’ve done.....”

Her latest rant was cut off as a drone opened the door and poked his head in,“Your highness, there's a stallion who wants entry, shall we let him enter?”

“You have guests at a time like this?” Chrysalis asked in surprise, “Do male ponies not respect the sanctity of such a special occasion?”

“Enough Chrissy, he's expected,” Grizz replied with a tired smile.

“You said you'd never call me that in front of the drones!” Chrysalis snapped before everyone else in the room laughed.

“They know already Chrissy plus I think it suits you,” Grizz announced with a grin.

Mercy save me, I've created a monster! Chrysalis thought as with some ceremony a blue stallion with a shocking scruffy white mane entered shyly.

“Hi dad, glad you could make it,” Grizz called out to the trembling pony.

“He's your father? That explains so much,” Chrysalis gazed unimpressed at the middle aged pony.

“Tinker Track is a very successful pony machinist I'll have you know Chrissy,” Grizz scolded.

Chrysalis loomed over Tinker seeing nothing of note and feeling more disappointed by the second. He looked up at her with a mixture of fear and awe and Chrysalis treated him to a wicked smile, “He seems to recognise his betters, I like him!”

“I'm sorry I couldn't make the big event,” Tinker said as he glanced around at the glowing pods, “I came as soon as I heard though Buzz. Spike sends his congratulations but well you know,” Tinker gestured to the low ceiling. Chrysalis could see he was terrified, but with admirable gumption pressed forward with a glowing love for Grizz. “I mean Grizz....”

“That's fine dad. I know you're a little out of your depth here, me too if I'm being honest,” Grizz smiled happily, “Come and meet your grandfoals.”

Tinker swallowed as he gazed about the hundreds of tiny eggs, “Well at least their birthday will be easy to remember.”

Chrysalis watched the bizarre scene and felt an oddly pleasant feeling inside. This was a love that was shared, not demanded or stolen and the odd thing was it didn't ever seem to run out. She could see the glowing heart of both Grizz's parents and felt for the first time that maybe ponies had some idea about true love: The love of a mother for her young that went beyond mere acts.

They would love their child no matter what shape or species Grizz was and Chrysalis suspected no matter what Grizz did either. She thought back to the many mates she'd had and was sad to think they never shared that level of bond with her.

Maybe there was something to this whole pony family thing? She looked about at the tiny eggs, they have no idea what this world holds for them. Chrysalis laughed softly as Grizz began pointing out each egg dotting the chamber and with the drone's help began picking out names for every single one of them.

Chrysalis doubted Grizz would ever remember them all, drones had always picked their own names in her experience, still she wasn't going to stop Grizz from trying, do Grizz and her parents have any idea what this world will hold for them either? Chrysalis mused and to her surprise she wasn't afraid that she didn't know either.

“Whatever it does, it's got to be better than what we've had before,” Chrysalis whispered. No one in the busy birthing chamber heard her, nor did they see the quickly wiped away tears that ran down Chrysalis' face.

We're actually free now, Chrysalis realised: Free to act without fear of being hunted or starved. Sure there are some conditions, but compared to the dread certainties of extinction it was a tiny price to pay and may even improve our way of life.

She watched the happy family before her and suddenly decided she wanted more than anything to be a part of that, it was worth a few rules and directions for everyone's benefit. For the first time in Chrysalis' life she felt the urge to thank The World and closing her eyes she felt a reassuring peace that had eluded her from birth, “Thank you for a second chance,” she whispered before replacing her mask of cold disdain.

With a glow in her soul, Chrysalis moved in close to the happily chatting group and to her overwhelming joy they welcomed her with open hooves. She shared a quick look at Grizz who was watching her with interest. Her new queen leant forward and whispered in Chrysalis' ear, “Welcome home Chrissy.”

The End.

Comments ( 8 )

7107856 Glad you appreciate the concept :twilightsmile: Nice to know the message is coming through

If i were chrysalis i would have either left or fuckin murdered someone with all that asshole treatment

7110808 question the queen is the mother of all workers in the hive?

7596290 Based them on loosely bees with a little tweaking. The idea is that the queen is in theory the mother of all the others in a hive. They can 'adopt' lost drones from other hives, but seldom do. I reasoned that as they were in such a desperate situation that they were forced to take in more strays.

Hope that answers the question :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment