• Published 9th Jan 2015
  • 697 Views, 25 Comments

One Mask Among Many. - Golden Paw



Technological advances have lifted Equestria to a better quality of life than ever before, but moral implications become apparent when an 'envoy' from an old foe comes asking for help.

  • ...
6
 25
 697

Chapter Five

The wind whipped at Buzzbot’s orange mane, making tangles and causing it to writhe like a nest of eels. She’d wanted to fly, but riding on Spike’s back as he flew was turning out to be far rougher experience than she’d expected.

The setting sun was a pale golden orb shedding its last rays from the east, bathing the clouds in ruddy light that reminded Buzz of tiny embers floating in the sky all around. It was a peaceful contrast to how she was feeling now.

Buzz could feel Spike’s powerful muscles tensing and relaxing beneath her. The air itself seemed to be trying to unsettle Buzz’s grip on the spines lining Spike’s back. She screwed her eyes shut tightly and gritted her teeth. No, flying like this was not the way to travel, “Give me a royal chariot any day,” Buzz mumbled.

“You holding up alright back there?” Spike called without turning his head and Buzz could only reply with a whimper which was snatched up by the hungry wind. Spike's deep voice sounded far too cheerful for Buzz's liking, “It’s something isn’t it, makes you feel good to be alive!” Buzz, not reassured at all simply scrunched up her muzzle tighter as a strange sensation began building in her core.

It was dark and unpleasant, Buzz’s centre seemed to be contracting as if trying to expel some foreign object. “Spike can we please slow down just a little!” Buzz shouted over the rushing wind, but if he heard her Spike gave no sign.

Buzzbot’s insides seemed to be trying to rearrange themselves, twisting and turning while all the time she felt like….well not a feeling she ever wanted to experience again. Buzz sneaked a peek through one wind battered eye and saw the ground far below...far, far below and the unpleasant feelings became worse. I’m feeling sick, by Celestia’s wings I’m feeling sick! I don’t even have a stomach; how does that even work!

Apparently ‘Stage Cloak’ really didn’t like flying on a dragon and so it was with immense relief that Buzz dropped the disguise, reverting back to the metal skeleton she really was. The sensations instantly died back as Buzz’s world became one of numbers, information and blissfully safe ‘data.’ The shape shifting was really taking on strange new aspects that Buzz didn’t know how to deal with and so for now simply focused on keeping her grip.

Spike must have noticed the flash of magic behind him and swung his head about, “Buzz is everything okay?”

Buzzbot nodded, “Yeah, I just don’t think we should go as fast anymore please.”

Spike smiled lazily, but did as Buzz asked. She now could now clearly make out the distant landscape below. The rolling grasslands of Equestria were slowly making way for harsher scrubland and as Buzz looked further she could make out a line of rust-coloured mountains. Recalling her map, Buzz noted they were only a few miles away from the ‘Badlands’.

“We’ve made good time Spike, no need to rush,” Buzz added.

Spike chuckled, a motion that reverberated his massive chest and sent a tremble through Buzz, “Not a problem Buzz. I was just eager to be getting to the action.”

Buzz would have rolled her ‘eyes’ but all that came was a whirring sound, “Of course Spike, but if all goes to plan there shouldn’t be any action. I hope to slip into the hive quietly remember.”

Another shudder passed up from Spike’s chest as he laughed again, “Oh Buzz, I’ve been in more scrapes than I care to admit: They never go as planned.” (Buzz seriously didn’t doubt that, Spike admitted the fact all the time)

“Well hopefully this will be the first then,” Buzz called before she felt the her world tilting. Spike was beginning to dive, angling his descent to aim right for the tallest peak among the now fast approaching mountain range.

Buzz could only hang on grimly as her projected altitude reading began to plummet. She screamed with fear as the clouds zipped past either side, only for also to be lost in the howling wind.


“You can let go now Buzz we’ve landed,” Buzz felt something hard touch her cheek and simply gripped all the tighter. “Come on Buzz we are on the ground and you need to get going,” Spike prompted again and finally Buzz turned her visual feeds back on.

The fear had been so intense and Buzz had never felt anything like it before. She’d happily jumped into time portals, fought off timber wolves and many other dangers in her time. Yet the sight of the ground rushing up to meet her, the utter lack of control of the situation and unbidden thoughts of being smashed to scrap upon the rocks had overwhelmed Buzz.

The logic of her brain told Buzz she would be fine, Spike was an experienced flier with many years under his scales. She could calculate all the vectors and magic applied by him to keep them airborne, but all of that simply flew out of Buzz’s head as the fountain of terror had burst upwards from her core. Gah emotions are tricky, three darn years and still they sneak up on me! Sometimes I wonder if they are worth it.

The world was as it should be. They were on the ground (well high up on a mountain by the looks of things anyway) With delicate slowness Buzz released her grip on Spike’s spine and tentatively began to climb down his massive shoulders.

She could feel Spike’s gaze watching her with concern as she clambered to the edge of his shoulders and dropped the last few meters onto the rocky ground below. Now firmly on the floor Buzz finally felt confident enough to assume her disguise and with a flash of green fire she forced the unwelcome shape of a changeling drone upon herself.

She turned about and forced a smile onto her muzzle, “Thank you Spike, I’m feeling much better now.” Buzz shivered at the strange harmonics to her voice. Even though she’d been expecting it Buzz still felt ugly.

Spike graced Buzz with a cocked eyebrow, “Are you sure Buzz? That was an awfully convincing scream you made as we landed.”

For the first time since Buzz had needed to be a drone she felt grateful for it. She could feel the blush wanting to form, but thankfully her carapace hid it, “Really uncle I’m fine,” Buzz coughed, “You just caught me by surprise that’s all.” Spike continued to stare and Buzz felt angry at her own embarrassment.

Spike finally relented his scrutiny before tapping his ear, “You have the frequency for my communicator right?”

Buzz went to snort in irritation only for a wasp like droning to emerge. Both Spike and Buzz froze for a moment, equally taken aback by it. Buzz shook her head angrily before replying, “Of course I do Spike, I did read Twilight’s briefing and I was using communication link long before you were.....” Spike looked hurt and Buzz felt that accursed ‘guilty feeling’ creeping in and quashed it mercilessly. “I...er...sorry Spike,” Buzz finished lamely.

Spike lent back on his haunches and folded his arms, “Look Buzz it’s okay to admit if you’re scared. I would be.”

Buzz blinked, the sensation feeling just as odd as everything else about her form. “I’m not scared, I’m just a little ‘out of sorts’ that’s all,” She finished awkwardly.

Spike still didn’t look convinced, “Well if you’re sure....”

“I am,” Buzzbot snapped and Spike held up two claws in submission.

“Well I’m sure you know you’re own head Buzz,” Spike glanced out towards the sparse planes beyond, “I had best be going. The longer I stay with you the more chance of blowing your cover.” He gave Buzz a salute, “If you need me just call.”

The guilt came back with a vengeance and Buzz flitted her wings with annoyance, oddly that felt the right thing to do, “I will.”

With a final nod Spike spread his powerful wings and with a ‘thrump’ that sent dust billowing in every direction lifted up into the failing light. The sun was practically gone now, only its edge still peaking out over the horizon.

As darkness spread out across the land the temperature began to drop and Buzz felt an uncharacteristic shiver. The cold didn’t normally bother her? Then Buzz remembered she didn’t have a warm coat or mane to keep her warm. Twilight had warned her about such matters, but Buzz didn’t think they would actually apply to her for real. Yes her shape shifting was becoming a far more empathic experience than previously, like having emotions that she shouldn’t have either.

“Discord has a lot to answer for,” Buzz hissed and realised she’d spoken in hive cant, the clicking buzzing language of the changelings. She froze, it wasn’t a problem as such, only that she’d not intended to.

Buzz double-checked her memory and programming, yes there were the command lines: All present and correct, all in order. She could even see the point when, unconsciously, Buzz had selected the correct language files. It had been almost instinctual.

Putting this confusing thought aside Buzz glanced about the rocky outcrop. Even as the last of the light vanished and the stars came out Buzz’s eyes adjusted easily to the darkness. She was on a smooth, but slightly angled rock surface. The mountain proper behind her and the planes stretched out ahead.

With nothing else for it Buzz trotted up the lip of the platform and peered downwards. Jagged edges of protruding stone jutted out at numerous of points on the descent. Buzz silently thanked Tinker for the new upgrade. Well no time like the present she reasoned before with an effort Buzz stepped off into the void below.


“Urgh, I hate not knowing!” Twilight moaned, her mane all frazzled and a weary look in her eyes. The fading light of day flowing through the high windows of her laboratory, warring with the sterile lights hanging above.

“I’m sorry Princess but real time communication is impossible at this range. She’s with Spike though so I’m sure Buzz will be safe,” Zip said in a consoling voice.

Twilight had been restless ever since she and Tinker had hugged Buzz farewell. Pacing the laboratory floor and muttering about all the things that could have already gone wrong. It was getting to be quite a list now and Zip knew the signs, Twilight was heading for a meltdown.

She wasn’t the only one either: Quiz had become all but impossible too. Zip had left her back in storage, wailing uncontrollably that she’d never see Buzzbot again. He couldn’t worry about that now, Twilight needed him.

“I know Zip, but anything could have gone wrong by now,” Twilight fussed as she fidgeted back and forth.

“Well Tinker Track is checking the receivers every hour your highness, there’s not much else we can do,” Zip tried, only for Twilight to let out another exasperated groan. He grinned hopefully, “You have other duties Princess; Luna wants you help with....”

Twilight’s dismissive hoof waved Zip into silence before she took a deep breath, “Don’t you think I know that Zip? I just can’t concentrate right now.” Twilight continued her pacing and Zip tapped his fore hooves together anxiously.

“Please your highness; maybe a bit of sorting and organising will take your mind off things?” Zip asked hopefully. The room was immaculate, but he was ready to suggest anything to take Twilight’s mind off the situation.

Zip couldn’t honestly understand why in a world full of so much data storage, that Twilight insisted on still having books. They took up so much space and deteriorated woefully quickly compared to the newer storage units. Still he wasn’t one to contradict his princess and creator.

Twilight gave a distracted glance at the lab, “I know what you’re trying to do Zip. I thank you for it but it’s just not going to work.” Twilight looked out of the window, “Plus the lab is well within clean...” With a tiny ‘Thumph’, one of the books on the table fell to the floor. It was a small sound, but seemed to echo around the room.

Zip froze as Twilight snapped her head around and glared at him, her gaze slowly travelling to the book now on the floor, spread open and face down on the polished tiles, “Zip! How dare you!”

Zip felt a little flash of terror well up in his tiny core, he hadn’t done anything! One moment the book was on the desk, the next it was on the floor, “Princess I didn’t I assure you....” Twilight’s eyes bored into him angrily as she lifted the abused book from the ground. Several of its pages had been bent and with exaggerated care Twilight began to press and flatten them with her magic.

“Zip I know you mean well, but I will not have you acting in such a manner,” Twilight’s look of disappointment almost broke Zip’s ‘heart’.

“But Twilight I didn’t, honestly! The book fell off all by itself!” Zip held up his hooves trying to ward off her stare which had turned dangerous.

“I will not have you lying to me either Zip,” Twilight waved the book at him, the title Untold Myths and Secrets swinging back and forth before his eyes. “What’s gotten into you?” Twilight scolded. She placed the book back on the desk among the others and snorted angrily before turning back to the vista outside.

‘Thumphmph’, Zip stared at the collection of books now covering the floor and began to tremble. With a flash Twilight was suddenly pressed nose to nose with him, “Get-out-Zip, I will deal with you later.”

“But I....I” Zip pleaded only for Twilight’s eyes to flash with fire.

His courage failed him and Zip's little wings blurred as he sought to put some distance between him and Twilight, her burning gaze following him all the way out into the corridor. The heavy duty metal door slammed shut and Zip shook as he tried to understand what had just happened.

He honestly hadn’t moved those books, maybe Twilight was more stressed out about this whole event than he realised? There had been cases of such strange things occurring when a unicorn got stressed out, their magic ‘earthing’ in response to a tense situation and Twilight was far more than a unicorn.

Zip let out a sigh of defeat, best wait until she’s calmed down a bit then... The sounds of malevolent laughter filtered down from above. Instantly Zip’s head snapped up, that sounded like it was coming from the vents overhead.

Very slowly, Zip flitted up to the metal grating and peered inside. Something was moving in there. A scaly tail with a tufted tip was swaying back and forth slowly. He watched, mesmerised for a moment before another chuckle echoed its way along the space. Discord, about a third his normal size was stretched out along the vent. He had his paw over his mouth in an effort to suppress another bout of laughter while his eagle's claw snapped with a click.

Zip heard further sounds of frustration from below as whatever Discord’s mischief may be achieved the desired effect. So that was it huh? Discord was the one getting Zip into trouble and winding up his princess!

Summoning his courage Zip squeezed through the bars and with determination bit down hard on Discord’s tail. Sadly all he got for his efforts was a mouth full of hairs; the appendage just kept on weaving back and forth taking Zip with it. Discord didn’t even seem to notice his passenger and continued to watch Twilight’s mounting ire below.

Releasing his grip Zip proceeded to buck feebly at Discord’s tail, “Hey lay it off you big bully!”

Discord finally paused in his merriment and slowly looked back to Zip with a lazy manner, “What and ruin the moment when she’s so close?”

Zip’s face scrunched up, “Yeah close to having all us spites turned to scrap.”

With another flash a breezy styled and sized Discord put a companionable hoof around Zip’s shoulders, “Watch and learn my overenthusiastic toy.”

Zip was lead to the grate and looked down at Twilight, she was pacing and muttering to herself. With a casual wave of his little hoof the same book, Untold Myths and Secrets almost jumped off the table and fell to the floor; falling open on a page decorated in colourful pictures of alicorns, dragons and other far stranger creatures.

As Twilight screamed her frustration to the world Zip looked intently. There, on the exposed pages, was an image of what looked like Celestia along with Luna. They seemed to be talking with the other creatures as if in some kind of meeting.

The book was snatched up by Twilight and almost flung onto the workbench, but it never finished its flight. Discord raised his hoof to his muzzle and simply ‘shushed’ quietly. Zip watched in fascination as Twilight paused and slowly levitated the book back towards herself.

“The first council of harmony?” Twilight asked, reading the title out loud.

Zip eyed Discord who was smiling and clapping slowly, “You wanted her to read something out of that book? You could have just told her you know and saved an awful lot of trouble Discord.”

Discord grinned at Zip with mischievous eyes, “Well you always learn things better when you find them out yourself Zip. Twilight is a very studious princess and I think she’d appreciate the method I am employing here.”

Watching Discord’s face carefully, Zip saw the sides of his mouth twitch before Discord broke out in high pitched laughter, “Plus the look on her face was just priceless!” A stern glare from Zip only slightly dampened Discord’s merriment. “Fine be like that, but it worked didn’t it?” Discord pointed at the now riveted Twilight.

“The first Council of Harmony was formed during the early ages of the world. Each of the first created (or stewards of aspect) gathered to ensure the smooth running of the world,” Twilight’s enamoured voice read aloud.

“All was well while the different stewards acted as one, bringing light and life to the new world and fulfilling Creation’s plans. From the Pony Sisters who cared for the sky, tending to the sun and moon respectively, to the great dragoness of the earth and stone. All filled the measure of their creation,” Twilight continued on with wonder in her voice before she began listing all the different ‘Stewards of Aspect.’

“I didn’t hear your name there Discord,” Zip commented as Twilight moved on to further subjects and Discord grinned knowingly.

“Well I didn’t come on the scene till much later you see. I missed most of the fun sadly,” He explained before pointing to Twilight who had just made a sharp intake of breath. Zip stared down, frightened of what she’d discovered:

“But harmony didn’t last, disagreements and pride began to pull each Steward after their own way. Such instances of 'discord' began slowly, little matters of opinion which took root and eventually drove the council apart,” Twilight’s narrative became mixed with sniffles and Zip could see the artwork of the book had changed; filled with images of strife and argument.

“Matters finally came to a head when the ‘Great Beetle’,” Twilight paused, “I’ve never heard of a Great Beetle before?” She shook her head and read on, “The great beetle, steward of all creeping things became jealous of the support and praises heaped upon more loved council members. In a rage she left the council and turned to her own path,” Twilight’s narrative trailed off as she turned the page and looked revolted.

“Here we go,” Discord rubbed his ‘hooves’ together with glee, “This is my favourite bit.”

“The Beetle was especially angry with the steward of the sun, who had remained aloof and adored by the other council members. The example of the two sisters and their love angered her beyond reason. So in the Beetle’s darkest chambers she created the changers: A mockery of the sun’s form and with a burning hunger to steal the love held by the mortals made their image,” Twilight’s voice had become quiet and Zip felt a sudden stillness in the air.

“Is there any truth in this Discord?” Zip asked carefully, “Why show this to Twilight?”

“Of course it’s true my little sprite, I think Twilight deserves to know and understand the huge mess she’s sent my niece into,” Discord said levelly before grinning madly, “Plus Celestia doesn’t want her to know. I simply couldn’t pass up an opportunity like that.”

Twilight began to cry as she read on, “The mortal ponies were easy prey for these new hunters and it wasn’t long until the other Stewards took notice.”

Zip felt his gaze drawn to the awful scenes of pain and war. The artist whoever they had been had been very good at capturing the feelings of the time and Zip felt his own eyes moisten along with Twilight’s.

“The first council of Harmony collapsed as the cracks and tensions, long in the making, finally fractured. Each Steward doing their best to pursue what they thought was right, yet without a guiding unified ideal to work towards. Many new creatures, not originally intended as part of Creation’s plan came into being, causing further strife and suffering,” Twilight’s words were heavy now and Zip felt each one like a weight in his chest.

“Cue Discord!” Discord announced happily, startling Zip from the silent moment he was having. “Oh those were the days, I was fresh and ready to try out all sorts of mayhem. Nor was I alone. All the fascinating critters, the odd things crawling or slithering around popping up everywhere,” Discord’s assumed antenna bounced with excitement. “I can remember it as if it only happened tomorrow.” Zip felt the sudden urge to be as far away from Discord as he possibly could.

As the pages turned the scenes of conflict receded and glimmers of hope shone through, “The world itself was the one to stop the conflict. The powers of harmony blossomed in a single magical tree, spreading its soothing effects across the world and calming the raging Stewards. All but one. the Great Beetle, so warped and twisted in her own mind, destroyed herself rather than accept the council’s offers of peace: Veiling her creations in a final act of spite so that they could continue her work.”

Twilight stood very still for a long moment, she was breathing slowly and Zip could only guess what thoughts were running through her mind. The very air was pregnant with expectation, and that feeling continued to grow until Zip couldn’t take it anymore.

“What does this all mean? Is the world broken? Is it true that half the creatures that lived were never meant to be?” Twilight’s voice was barely above a whisper. She sounded dazed, lost and uncertain. Zip could practically feel the confusion pouring off Twilight even from where he was standing.

“Never met ‘Sift’, heard she was a right terror at the end. Very ugly business and all that,” Discord said sadly. “I’m all for a bit of chaos, but she took it all far too personally. Sift actually hated Celestia so much she made a whole race just to prey on ponies.”

Twilight slowly lifted the book and held it in her magic, the actions almost mechanical. Zip watched as she stared at the cover for a long time. What she did next surprised him, calmly Twilight took a deep breath and moved the book aside with great care.

This done, she scribbled a small note and tucked it between its pages and shut it delicately. Moving as if in a dream Twilight switched off the lamp and headed slowly for the door. Without another word she left the room and moved off down the corridor.

Zip felt numb, “So what happens now?”

Discord winked at him from the darkness that now surrounded the pair, “We let things take their course of course. If I know Twilight she will have some very pointed questions to ask tomorrow and things will get a lot more interesting around here.