• Published 9th Jan 2015
  • 697 Views, 25 Comments

One Mask Among Many. - Golden Paw



Technological advances have lifted Equestria to a better quality of life than ever before, but moral implications become apparent when an 'envoy' from an old foe comes asking for help.

  • ...
6
 25
 697

Chapter Eighteen

The guard tumbled away as Twilight’s spell lifted him off his hooves and deposited him neatly in a nearby cabinet. Buzz saw a mischievous grin plastered across her mother’s face, “I know I shouldn’t be enjoying this, but it’s refreshing to put some combat training into practice again.”

Another volley of stun rounds bounced off Twilight’s shield and she shook her head sadly, “Never use a weapon against those who made it and expect perfect results.”

Buzz was frankly in awe of her mother at this point, they had both been making steady progress along the winding passageways of the old castle and Twilight had already subdued four patrols of crystal pony soldiers as easily as cleaning up a spilled potion in her lab. This latest group was no exception.

“Why are they fighting us mum? I mean they must know by now you’re not a changeling,” Buzz felt a knot in her core, this whole situation seemed so surreal.

Twilight’s happy smile faded, “Well they are simply following orders and there is only one pony who could have given them authority to oppose a princess.”

Buzz felt a shiver pass through her, “Yeah, another princess.”

Twilight nodded solemnly, “I’m sure this is just some big misunderstanding.”

It may have been all her time around Chrysalis and changelings but Buzz was certain Twilight didn’t believe what she’d just said. It was then that a shudder passed through Buzz: The echoing call of the swarm suddenly swelled up within her and she staggered.

Twilight gave Buzz a stare, “Buzz?”

She shook her head, but the clamouring emotions of all the drones present were forcing their way into Buzz’s mind. She felt terror grip her, “I’m not a queen; I’m not even disguised as one right now so how can I be hearing them?”

Twilight’s eyes went wide with worry, “You can hear them Buzz, even now?”

“I...I” Buzz managed to mumble before she felt the change overcoming her again, with a flash of green fire Buzz became Grizz once more. She shook her head as the frantic calling of the drones only increased in volume until they were filling her head with their pleas.

Grizz looked down at Twilight and saw the emotions running through her; fear, confusion and surprise were whirling within Twilight in a storm, “A queen is in danger; the drones can feel her pain Twilight.”

Twilight simply stared at her, “Buzz I...how?”

“I don’t know how mum, but what I do know is that Chrysalis is in grave danger. It’s driving my minions into a frenzy,” Grizz hissed as, just at that moment, more guards galloped into view behind them.

As if to prove the point a harsh thrumming filled the air and the soldiers were suddenly covered in a cloud of thrashing drones. Twilight looked in horror as the swarming cloud bore the guards to the floor and proceeded to ensnare them in slimy resin.

“Buzz stop this, they’re going to kill them!” Twilight yelled and Grizz nodded before releasing a burst of command chemicals. For a moment nothing happened and Grizz feared the worse, then gradually the angry roar of wings died back.

The drones all looked to Grizz with apologetic bows and stood aside. Grizz and Twilight quickly galloped up to the stricken soldiers and saw to their relief that under the green slime they seemed to only have some minor cuts and bruises.

“I can’t keep them all in order Twilight; we need to stop the source of this problem. We need to find Chrysalis,” Grizz glared at the assembled drones and they all bowed in fear.

Twilight nodded, “I know where she’s billeted, come on this way.”

Twilight galloped down the corridor and sparing one look of disappointment at her drones Grizz tore off after her. She easily drew level with Twilight who was even now ‘persuading’ more soldiers to make way for her.

Grizz tried to block out the rising pressure in her mind as the soldiers all toppled with faint smiles on their muzzles, “I thought Cadance had all the security measures accounted for? How could someone have gotten to Chrysalis?”

She didn’t answer right away and Grizz saw the nasty cloud of suspicion blossom in Twilight’s aura, “I don’t know Buzz, but we’ll find out soon.”

The pair cannoned round the next bend in the corridor and saw more guards wrestling with the loose drones. Twilight snorted in irritation before an expanding wall of force pushed outwards and pinned all those fighting to the ground.

Wasting no time Grizz also sent the chemical command for the drones to stand down, the cloud of pheromones being left in her wake as they pressed on quickly. Sounds of frantic shots and shouts of alarm were beginning to echo around the ruins and Grizz didn’t dare to think what would happen if this situation wasn’t swiftly brought under control.

“Should be just around here,” Twilight gasped before she ran headfirst into an invisible barrier stretched across the hallway and stumbled backwards in a daze.

Grizz barely had time to avoid a similar fate and saw beyond the magical wall Platinum Shield, his horn glowing and his eyes full of fear. By his side was Heart Strong who looked at Grizz with anger, “You monster why did you attack us? We were offering you shelter and food!”

Stunned by such an accusation Grizz blinked, “Us attack you? You attacked us!”

“Don’t play games with us changeling, your drones are tearing into my soldiers everywhere!” Platinum shouted his face streaked with sweat.

“Platinum, you will not speak to your cousin like that!” Twilight yelled.

Heart Strong’s eyes went wide, “Cousin? You mean that’s Buzz?”

Grizz reeled and Twilight was stunned a second time, “Cadance didn’t tell you that Buzz was the other changeling queen?”

Heart Strong shook her head, “No, mum said that there was only Chrysalis and this other queen....”

“Don’t listen to them Strong, it’s obviously a trap!” Platinum shouted, “They’re trying to get us to lower our defences and then cocoon us like they did the others!”

Grizz felt ice trickle down her spine, “Twilight if Cadance didn’t tell them then.....”

“I know Buzz, but we will deal with that later,” Twilight pressed her horn against the shield blocking the corridor, “Platinum it’s really me and Buzz, lower this barrier now. I don’t want to have to break it.”

Platinum Shield simply braced his legs and glared at them, “You just try it imposter, I was taught by my dad Shining Armour he’s....” Platinum never got the chance to finish the sentence as Twilight, with a slight grin emitted a simple spark from her horn and the magic wall blocking the passage splintered before crashing down in a rain of evaporating fragments.

“Shining also taught me a handy back door to his barrier spells as any right thinking B.B.B.F.F should,” Twilight announced triumphantly. Platinum stared in horror as his trademark spell was brushed aside like cobwebs in a high wind.

Grizz made to step forward only for Strong to spread her wings defiantly, “Of course you’d know how to do that, Chrysalis bewitched our father and learnt the trick from him.”

Twilight rolled her eyes, “Yes, but he’d altered the spell since....”

The windows either side of the passage exploded inwards and Grizz quickly recognised the hoard of Chrysalis’ progeny being led by Scrund, “Your highness we are betrayed! Mother is in danger and we...” His eyes narrowed as he saw Grizz standing protectively beside Twilight, “Grizz what are you doing with this enemy princess?”

There was a tense moment when everyone paused, all three groups eyeing each other with surprise and suspicion before Twilight spoke out levely, “Okay, everyone just calm down alright?” Twilight glanced to Strong and Platinum, “Niece, nephew I’m going to lower my protective wards alright? Then Buzz here is going to get the drones to stand down as well. Then we can all just talk about this and figure out what in Celestia’s name is really going on here.”

“Buzz?” Scrund asked and looked to Grizz in confusion, “What does she mean your highness?”

Buzz...Grizz felt her cheeks begin to redden, “Well I er meant to tell you all of course, I just needed to find the right time and....” Suddenly Grizz felt the pseudo pain felt by Scrund, a double flash of betrayal and fear for his mother. It stabbed right to Buzz’s heart and she staggered at the strength of it. Grizz gritted her fangs before snarling in pain, “We don’t have time for this right now, we need to get to your mother.”

Her temper fraying Grizz rounded on her two cousins, “Let us through or by the heavens I’ll smash my way past!” Platinum and Strong visibly paled as green fire danced about Grizz’s body and her horn gave off warning sparks.

“Enough Buzz,” Twilight snapped and the tension in the room began to raise again, “Look this is getting us nowhere. Strong please be so good as to check in on Chrysalis alright? If she’s fine then we can all go back to our rooms before someone gets hurt.”

“Mum’s with her Twilight so I’m sure everything is fine,” Strong countered and Twilight’s ears flattened.

“Please Strong, just do it okay? Platinum can raise the shield again if that makes you feel better?” Twilight’s voice became pleading.

“Strong don’t: This imposter can just break my barrier like before,” Platinum had regained some of his colour and was glaring at Grizz and the others with determination.

“Well if she can then we can’t stop her and that many changelings anyway can we? What’s the harm in checking?” Heart Strong replied and Platinum simply snorted in responce.

Grizz tried to block out the rising pressure in her mind as Scrund and his fellows edged forward, the urge to fight and feed pouring off them, “Whatever you decide you’d better do it fast, the boys are getting restless.”

Without pausing to reply Heart Strong backed away, her eyes never leaving the assembled crowds who watched with growing frustration. The very air seemed to hold its breath as the pegasus reached the door and knocked smartly, “Mum, is everything alright in there?”

The moment drew out and Grizz felt her heart thumping in her chest, dreading what they might find. When no reply came Strong tried the handle before she banged on the door, “Mother let me in! We have a major situation here and I need your help.”

Strong began to panic, “The door is locked from the inside! It doesn’t make any sense, none of the locking spells should block members of the Crystal Fiefdom Army!”

Twilight’s face darkened, “Oh Cadance, what have you done?” A shiver ran through all present and Twilight took a hesitant step forward, her horn glowing.

Grizz felt the power build, Twilight was drawing far more deeply than before and the effects were quickly felt by everyone. It was as if a vast whirlpool had opened up and was sucking all the ambient magic down into Twilight before she released the power in a crackling web of glowing lines.

Watching in mounting amazement Grizz saw the tendrils of magic reach out and caress the door which began to glow with an inner light. Twilight’s face was a mask of concentration as the strands weaved and worked their way across the wooden planks which now shimmered with arcane symbols of intricate design.

“It’s a fourth level lockdown enchantment. I can break it, but it will take me time. You’d best try Cadance on the communicator and try to persuade her to open the door,” Twilight muttered through gritted teeth.


Chrysalis forced an aching eye open when the blows subsided. Cadance was panting with exertion, her expression was a mixture of triumph and satisfaction. Chrysalis tried to move and felt the stabbing pain of broken chitin grinding together, Cadance had been very thorough in her idea of ‘justice’.

Who would have thought a mare could be so worked up about a cringing husband? Chrysalis had gone through many partners in her life so far and couldn’t see what the big deal was. If they weakened then you moved on, why hold onto a mate who just kept you back?

Chrysalis thought about Scrund and Grizz, that wasn’t natural either. She was far too concerned about how he felt about her. Ponies were far too sentimental. The pause in her ‘administrations’ concluded as Cadance slammed a hoof into Chrysalis’ already aching abdomen.

Coughing, Chrysalis forced a grin onto her face, “So....how did...you....plan....to get me...away from here?”

Cadance frowned, “As if I’d tell you.”

Chrysalis chuckled between spitting mucus, “After we’ve gotten to know each so well I thought you’d be in a sharing mood.”

Cadance’s eyes bulged, “You know nothing about me! You may have copied my form, and even some of my memories but you don’t know me!”

Chrysalis heaved in a sucking breath, “I know you’re hurting, that your dear husband is becoming old and feeble and you just simply have no idea how to cope with it. So you’re taking it out on me. I totally understand what you’re doing even if it’s completely stupid.”

Cadance seemed to freeze, the rage causing her to visibly tremble. Her eyes bored into Chrysalis as if the changeling was a chunk of rotten fruit on her wedding cake, “It’s got nothing to do with that, that’s the way of the world and I’m at peace with such.”

“Keep telling yourself that dear,” Chrysalis hissed as she felt something inside her chest throbbing in a worrying manner.

“I have three wonderful foals and a whole kingdom that loves and adores me, I won’t be alone when he’s gone,” Cadance’s muttered darkly, “I wish I’d had more time with him: I should of have had more time with him but you stole that from me!”

Chrysalis was ready for the blow yet still winced when it struck. She wheezed before coughing up a wad of clotted slime, “Well I’d say it’s a good lesson in not becoming too attached Princess.”

“I....” Cadance snapped before a knocking on the door drew her attention.

“Mum, is everything alright in there?” The muffled voice of a mare called through the door and Chrysalis caught the sudden look of fear on Cadance’s face.

“Oh what’s this? You didn’t tell your dear foals what mummy was up to in here?” Chrysalis was rewarded by a guilty glare from her tormentor.

“They wouldn’t understand...” Cadance whispered before the voice called again and there was further banging on the door.

“Mother let me in! We have a major situation here and I need your help,” The mare shouted, a note of pleading her voice.

Despite the pain Chrysalis felt a wide smile forming on her muzzle, “That will be my boys, they know when mother is hurting and soon come running.”

Chrysalis caught Cadance’s fleeting expression of shock before she smiled grimly. I’ll give it to the mare, she’s got steel in her Chrysalis thought.

“My soldiers are all over the ruins, there’s nothing your drones can do to help you,” Cadance said with certainty in her tone, “You’ll not be allowed to slink off into the wilderness and lick your wounds Chrysalis. I’ve seen to that I....”

“Mum please talk to me, what’s going on in there?” The mare’s voice sounded from Cadance’s discarded earpiece (tossed into a corner whilst the justice was dispensed) and Chrysalis almost felt sorry for her.

“Well ‘Princess of Love’, aren’t you going to answer your daughter?” Chrysalis sneered as Cadance froze again.

“They were under strict orders not to disturb us, I didn’t want them to see what I had to do,” Cadance said almost in a daze.

The door began to glow a pale rose colour and Chrysalis felt tremendous power flowing into the enchantment Cadance had placed upon the wood. Someone was using a lot of magic to try and force their way in.

“Well children can be like that sometimes dear, always let you down when you need them most,” Chrysalis couldn’t help but think of Scrund as she said those words and winced inside.

“Mum Twilight is working on the door if you’re in trouble then let us in and we can help you,” The voice called out of the tiny speaker, it’s sound carrying far more force than just mere words.

“I have to keep them safe, all of them from all the horrors of this world: Horrors like you,” Cadance’s voice sounded hollow and utterly defeated, as if something vital had left her. She sat on the cold stone floor, wings drooping and head bowed.

Chrysalis almost laughed, “Like me? I’m simply a mother finding food for her children, if that makes me a horror then just think what you are princess.”

Fire returned to Cadance’s eyes and she glared at Chrysalis, “As if you can lecture me on morals, you parasite.”

“It takes a monster to know another my dear and you’ve certainly not been acting like the innocent princess I took the place of all those years ago. You’ve lied to your own children, manipulated your fellow rulers and...” Chrysalis winced, “beaten seven shades of slime out of a queen who came here under a flag of truce. Hardly the acts of a benevolent Princess of Equestria.”

Cadance was staring at Chrysalis now, her expression unreadable. Taking another shaking breath the former queen sneered at her, “Overall not a bad show from a pony. Your methods were sound, but your timing was off. A rookie mistake, but one that’s going to cost you I’m afraid.”

The silence was complete for a moment before with a crunch the earpiece was crushed into scrap, Cadance’s now mucus covered hoof twisting as she ground the device down. Chrysalis saw her slowly straighten up and focus on her with eyes burning with cold fury.

“Well if that’s what I need to be to get justice for Shining Armour then so be it,” Cadance’s eyes were two burning red coals now and she wept tears of fire.

“Welcome to the darker side of life my dear,” Chrysalis said just before the door exploded into a thousand spinning slivers.


The first sign that things were about to get worse was when Twilight gave a sudden gasp and tumbled backwards. Grizz had only a tiny moment to wonder what this foreboded before the glowing wooden door disintegrated into an explosion of rose-coloured light.

The glowing shrapnel swept into the room beyond in a lethal horizontal hail and Grizz felt her stomach lurch, anypony in there would be..... There was another flash of reddish light as an equine body was thrown like a ragdoll out into the hall.

Grizz caught a brief impression of Chrysalis, all battered and cracked sailing through the air before it impacted heavily into the far wall. Chrysalis struck it so hard she left a cracked outline in the plaster.

Twilight was getting to her hooves as Chrysalis sailed past and only just managed to duck the living missile before turning back to see another pony step into the ruined doorway. It was Cadance, but instead of normal pink there was a crimson glow about her.

Grizz stared in horror as Cadance turned two burning pits of anguish across the assembled watchers, who shrank back from her glare. Twilight raised herself up and trembled at the sight of her sister in law, “Cadance stop this, it’s madness!”

“I’m sorry Twilight, but I need to do what must be done,” Cadance replied, a disturbing harmonic underlying her normally gentle voice. With a crimson flash of her horn Cadance lifted Chrysalis off the ground and before anyone could stop her Cadance hurled Chrysalis down the passageway.

Several drones scattered to avoid the body as it bounced with a sickening crunch and skidded the last few meters before connecting with the distant wall with a horrible thud. Grizz stared utterly aghast as Cadance bowed her head as if in prayer, “I couldn’t give you all you deserved Chrysalis, the price for your deeds hasn’t been paid.”

Grizz felt her insides turn to ice as Scrund screamed, “Mother! No!” The drone almost seemed to shrink, curling himself up into a trembling ball of pain along with his fellows. The collective shriek of loss curdled Grizz’s blood.

Cadance turned her terrifying gaze upon the cowering changelings before her, “So it falls to your family to settle such a debt.” Cadance’s horn glowed again, but this time Twilight was ready for her and a gleaming barrier flashed into existence.

“Cadance, this isn’t you! Stop!” Twilight's tears ran freely down her face as Cadance paused.

Grizz had a brief moment of hope when she thought Twilight had gotten through to Cadance, but that was soon dashed as Cadance tilted her head to one side, “You’re right Twilight, Cadance would never do such things would she? So therefore I’m not she.”

Cadance’s eye twitched before she glanced down at herself and Grizz saw that her coat had become a deep red now, like a ruby and mane the colour of dried blood. The blazing tears still continued to fall, leaving scorch marks on the stonework beneath her hooves and Grizz’s mind refused to believe what it was seeing: Cadance’s cutie mark had morphed into a pair of crystal judicial scales with half a broken heart in either bowl.

“You're right Twilight: I can’t be Cadance, I need to be somepony else to fulfil my role. She paused for a moment before her mouth twitched, ”A bringer of justice, one who makes sure the guilty pay their dues.....” Cadance’s eyes flashed brightly for a second and Grizz felt her body shudder as the world she knew twisted. Cadance smiled crazily, “Broken Justice.

Grizz felt her own heart tremble as the sorrow of Scrund and the other drones crowded around the still body of Chrysalis and she wept in empathy with them. They were hurting and she was too, Cadance.....

“Cadance, don’t do this please,” Twilight pleaded but ‘Broken Justice’ wasn’t listening it seemed.

“Don’t get in the way Twilight, I need to do my duty and I don’t want to hurt you, but I need to see that justice is done,” Broken said in a level tone even as her body shook with ticks and spasms.

“Mum no!” Heart Strong called out, her face full of sorrow, still lying where she’d dived to avoid the flying Chrysalis. Platinum Shield simply stared in muted horror at his mother, his mouth moving but no sound coming out.

Broken turned to her foals and smiled sadly, “Don’t worry my precious ones, when the debt they owe to Shining Armour is paid I won’t need to be me anymore. Just let mother deal with this then everything will be alright.”

“She’s dead that monster killed her!” Scrund howled in anguish and hugged Chrysalis while the other drones wailed in unison, their cries piteous.

Grizz felt the anger burning in her core, mixing with her sorrow at what her aunt was doing and it caused her insides to boil. Without even realising it she took a dangerous step forward. “Cadance I don’t know what drove you to this, but killing Chrysalis and her children isn’t going to solve anything.”

Broken Justice shuddered before glancing at Grizz, “Grizz, I wouldn’t expect a changeling queen to understand what justice is. How could a creature who steals love and happiness from the innocent even begin to understand right and wrong?”

It was then that Grizz knew Cadance was gone, or so buried deep under her new persona that she may as well be. Grizz looked to Twilight who was standing firm, her horn glowing as it sustained a protective shield around the others.

Twilight’s eyes never left Broken and Grizz heard Twilight’s voice inside her head, “Buzz, when I give the word you are to take Strong, Platinum, the drones and Chrysalis out of here. I don’t want any arguments, I want you to head straight for the Tree of Harmony and find Celestia and Luna. Do you understand?”

“But mum I....” Grizz began only for Twilight to snort in anger.

For once Buzz please just do what I ask, Broken Justice is an alicorn whatever else she may be and so I’m the only one with a chance to stand up to her”, Twilight strained as Broken conjured a barrier of her own and began to step forward slowly. The two opposing forces met and began straining against each other with a crackle of lightning.

Get the drones to safety and Chrysalis too, she may not be dead. Once they’re safe get Celestia and Luna to come back here, Spike too if he’s there.” Twilight’s voice was strained as she struggled to hold her ground.

“I warn you Twilight, don’t get in my way,” Broken called out in an unpleasant sing song manner, the frightening harmonics clashing sharply with her voice in a way that set Grizz’s teeth on edge.

Okay mum, but you’d better not get hurt or I’ll never forgive you”, replied using her internal communicator. Twilight nodded and with another flash of her horn filled the hall with a blinding light.