• Published 9th Jan 2015
  • 697 Views, 25 Comments

One Mask Among Many. - Golden Paw



Technological advances have lifted Equestria to a better quality of life than ever before, but moral implications become apparent when an 'envoy' from an old foe comes asking for help.

  • ...
6
 25
 697

Chapter Twenty One

“What do you mean we can’t come in?” Quiz’s frantic shouts fell on deaf ears as she glared at the soldier through the shimmering barrier before her.

“Orders from on top, sprite. Ponyville is locked down for the duration of the emergency; no one comes in or out without proper authorisation,” The grim faced crystal stallion replied, his helmet hiding the top of his face behind a tinted visor.

“So how do we get permission? “ Zip yelled only for the soldier to snort dismissively before waving a hoof at the crowds all around.

Quiz followed the guard's gaze. “You and all the others here need to get authorisation, from one of the princesses, counter signed by the captain and verified with genetic markers,” His lip curled in a smug manner, “What makes you think you're any different?”

“I'm Twilight's personal sprite. Can’t you just let us in, it’s really important!” Zip tried again before the guard shook his head with finality.

“Sorry, my orders are very clear: No pass, no entry, even for Twilight's personal errand boy while the changeling threat is being dealt with.” The guard's tone sounded anything but sorry.

“Come on Quiz, there’s no getting through that thick skull,” Zip glared at the pony who gave them a vindictive salute.

The two sprites fluttered away and Zip felt his heart sink. There was no sign of anypony rushing to the rescue as far as he could see. Things had looked pretty dire back at the forest and they simply didn’t have time for this nonsense.

“Zip what are we going to do? They’re not letting anyone cross the defence lines,” Quiz said as Zip screwed up his face in thought.

“We could try another entrance, maybe find a more friendly guard?” Zip replied doubtfully.

“They're all the same Zip, it’s hopeless!” Quiz cried and sank down onto the ground.

The outskirts of Ponyville were thronged with angry Equestrians; market vendors, business ponies and haulage units were all queued along the roads leading into the city. No one was being let in or out it seemed.

“This is terrible, no one seems to have the faintest idea that there's trouble in the Ever Free forest!” Quiz moaned as she kicked a pebble across the ground.

“I was with Cadance when she shut down the S.D.F, crystal pony soldiers are all over the vital parts of the city. She has guards in the communications hub, they must not be relaying any messages,” Zip mused as he stared sullenly at the agitated crowds, “All this security and it's keeping all the right ponies from doing their jobs.”

Quiz fidgeted as the crowds thronged all around them, “Maybe we should just leave it Zip, I mean Twilight and the other Princesses are there. They know what to do.”

“Yeah Quiz they are and we're stuck here waiting, tell me something I don't know,” Zip continued to study the floor while his head spun, “There must be another way in.”

“How Zip? Twilight designed that shield, the armies of Tartarus couldn't breach it!” Quiz was shaking and Zip didn't blame her.

Zip glanced up at the glowing barrier and felt inclined to agree. The shimmering enchantment shrouded Ponyville from the outside world like a giant fish bowl placed over the city. Zip had seen Twilight's designs, there wasn't any force short of the apocalypse that would force their way through that magic.

A distant rumble reminded him of the desperate stuff happening back at the forest. He wanted to do something, anything to help but Zip was fresh out of ideas. All his plans had come to nought, it just seemed that every time they tried to do something of use....

“Hey Zip Hey!” The voice cut through the background chatter and caused Zip to look up in surprise.

To his joy he saw 'Wink' waving through the city's enclosing wall, “Wink is that you? What are you doing here?”

His fellow sprite, a green stallion with red highlights beckoned them closer as he pressed his hooves against the shield, “All traffic has been stopped but I've got a delivery to make. I was circling the border looking for a way through and to my surprise I find you're outside. I was hoping you could do me a favour!”


Zip looked gratefully to the heavens before smiling widely at Wink, “Oh thank you, thank…..thank you!”


He swooped over to Wink who was staring in utter bemusement at him through the glowing shield, “Thank me for what, I ain't done anything yet?”

Quiz quickly followed as Zip pressed his hooves against the defence field, matching Wink’s hooves. “Wink, you are about to save Equestria my friend. Forget the delivery we need you to gather the others and get messages to the Council of Harmony.”

Wink looked uncertain, “But Mrs Tangle will be ever so mad if I don't.....”

“It's more important than that!” Zip practically shouted and Wink leaned back.

“Whoa keep your wings on Zip. I'll do it alright, but you promise you'll take responsibility for the delivery?” Wink hefted a small parcel, “I need you to explain to the recipient that the order will have to be....”

“Yes, yes, yes Wink we will, but after you've told our message!” Quiz shouted, all trace of her nervous shiver gone.

“Fine, so what's the message?” Wink produced a tiny data pad and Zip paused for a moment, not sure how to word it.

“To all Council of Harmony members: Cadance has gone insane. Crystal Fiefdom soldiers are acting under compromised orders, don't trust them. Twilight and other Princesses are doing their best to keep Cadance contained, but we need your help to snap her out of it. Be ready to use your rainbow powers,” Zip explained and Wink simply stared in shock.

“You're pulling my leg right Zip?” Princess Cadance really?” Wink stared at Quiz who nodded her head seriously.

“Hey you there! What do you think you're doing?” Zip looked about and saw a soldier closing on them.

“Go Wink and quickly!” Zip yelled as the crystal guard galloped towards them.

“Don't need to tell me twice!” Wink yelled before he dropped his bag and dove away into the anxious crowds.

The guard finally reached them a frown on her muzzle, “What were you doing?”

“Just talking to a friend officer,” Quiz said in a brittle voice.

The pony turned her helmeted face to Quiz who shrank back fearfully, “Well...I guess you've broken no laws, but I must ask you to back away from the shield.”

Zip gently tugged at Quiz's wing, relief filling his heart, “Thanks officer we will.”

They drifted away all the while Zip fearing that some angry shout would spell the doom of their plan. It wasn't until they'd become lost in the crowds again did he dare to look back and see the soldier had moved off.

“Phew that was close,” Quiz muttered and Zip nodded. “Do you think he will pass the message on?” Zip glanced into Quiz's honest face and nodded again.

“Of course Quiz, we're the best delivery service in modern Equestria,” Zip assured her before settling down to wait again. I sure hope he does or I'll strangle him.


It was actually fascinating to watch, Grizz would gently reassure the drones that everything would be alright and then the magic happened. The light would return to the changeling's eyes and he would look at Grizz with something approaching longing and love.

None of her drones had ever looked at Chrysalis that way and she was hard pressed not to cry at the sight. They really love her, really love her. A single tear welled up in her eye and Chrysalis quickly brushed it away before anyone noticed.

What touched her the most was the way Grizz insisted on the drones giving Chrysalis a hug before they set off to find even more of their number. Chrysalis had never felt so warm and fuzzy in her whole life. Every drone would step forward and embrace her, not out of obligation but because they wanted to.

True it was heavily influenced by Grizz's smiling face that they would, they wanted to please her more than anything else. But every so often one would spontaneously dive over to Chrysalis and hug her warmly with no prompting.

Chrysalis realised she was watching something happening that had never occurred before, she was witnessing history and Chrysalis was almost happy to be a part of it. Then they found Scrund and her own drones and the moment became awkward.

Chrysalis' remaining children drifted down in a huddled group, peering around with fearful glances between her and Grizz. She could see how torn they were, between their true mother and a queen that offered such wonders. Of course they won't choose me, when there's such a love to freely feed upon. I know that Grizz is who they need I....

It was Scrund who acted first, his single eye was wide with wonder and without any direction from Grizz he dove forward and hugged Chrysalis so tightly that she feared he was trying to strangle her.

“Mum, you're alright we thought that mad pony had killed you!” Scrund wailed as he hugged Chrysalis tightly.

Before she could respond the others were piling in upon her and she found herself quickly buried beneath a tangled mess of hooves and wings, while Grizz laughed softly with a smile on her muzzle.

“Enough, Enough! Get off me you lot!” Chrysalis shouted and struggled to free herself from the suffocating mass.

Slowly her drones moved to obey, a slightly embarrassed look in their collective faces. Chrysalis dusted herself down and stood tall and imposing. “I am queen and you will treat me with respect and dignity.”

She watched her children and felt the conflicting emotions seething within her. They loved her, but they trusted Grizz. Chrysalis saw it clearly in their hearts that they would follow Grizz to the ends of the world and back, not because they loved her but because she was the stronger queen and that was how things had always been done.

Yet they would always love Chrysalis as their mother even if they would choose to follow another. Chrysalis felt her own heart crumple in pain. How she longed to be the one to lead them, the one to have them adore her like she'd seen the other drones adored Grizz. But Chrysalis knew she'd have to do the one thing she'd always done, what was best for them.

“Go on you lot, go. I know you're all eager to be on the winning side and I'm proud of you for it,” Chrysalis felt the tears returning and forced them back with a hiss, “We all know who will feed you, go.” Still her children didn't move. “What? Go on!” Chrysalis screeched and her children all whimpered.

“They don't have to choose between you and me Chrysalis,” Grizz said softly as she hugged her again. “You're going to be with me, by my side. I need all your experience and help if this is going to work.”

Chrysalis shook her head, “Queens don't share loyalty, it simply doesn't work. I'll be your support but they must follow one ruler.”

“Says who?” Grizz replied with a giggle.

“It's always been such since the very first queens....” Chrysalis began only for Grizz to shake her head.

“This is a new time for us Chrysalis. We make our own rules and decide what we do, not some long dead matriarch,” Grizz assured her.

Chrysalis look at her children who waited eagerly and shook her head, “This is only going to cause trouble Grizz.”

“Then we will work through it,” Grizz assured, “I never had a perfect relationship with my parents, so why should this be any different? The point is we don't have to fear any more, we can be happy and look for more than just surviving.”

Chrysalis gave Grizz a look before responding, “We're gonna have fights and disagreements you know. I'm going to make your life a real pain.”

Grizz laughed, “Yeah well that's part of being a family, no doubt I'll ruffle your mane a few times too. But we will have even better times as well.”

Chrysalis mulled it over, “A co-rulership?”

“It's worked before,” Grizz said with a twinkle in her eye.

“I don't think I can manage that Grizz, I need to know someone is in charge,” Chrysalis said as doubt crept back into her soul. Just at that moment an explosion lit up the night sky and all the drones cringed in fear. Chrysalis cocked an eyebrow at Grizz, “Yeah I can see the results of co-ruling clearly from here and I think I'll pass.” What are you saying you daft maggot! She's giving you a chance to rule with her.

Chrysalis looked deep into herself, did she really want to rule anymore? She'd been at it for so many years now and look where it had gotten them. She recalled the conditions The World had set for her return and knew this was one of those chances to prove her intentions once and for all.

“I just want to take a back seat for this Grizz. I know I'm crazy for saying so but think being an advisor and supporter is going to be good for me. I could do with a break from the responsibility.” Chrysalis boggled at what she'd just said, before thrusting such worries aside, “But if you don't live up to your role Grizz I'll depose you before you can say nutrient slime, you got that?”

To her surprise Grizz smiled all the wider, “I wouldn't ask for anything else Chrysalis.”

Chrysalis studied Grizz's face for any sign of duplicity and to her astonishment saw none, “As long as we've got that sorted then.” She smiled at her children, “Well you heard mother get over there and get with our new queen.” They bowed and all trotted over to Grizz apart from Scrund who still stood resolute.

“You too my special boy, what are you waiting for?” Chrysalis hissed with annoyance.

He finally bowed before smiling up at her, “Thanks mum you're the best. It means the world to me to have you with us and Grizz!” Chrysalis saw the feelings and pheromones pouring off her chosen son and smiled. You'll make a fine prince Scrund, Chrysalis thought and realised she meant it.

She'd long given up hope of finding a proper queen for him. Certainly not her mad sister Ichor, but now.....

Scrund almost skipped away and Chrysalis couldn't help but laugh at her child’s antics. She felt that happiness she'd longed for slowly building inside and a hope for their race that had long since burnt out slowly returning. Caw, I'm going to get all soppy I just know it.

Another rumbling tremor shook the ground and Chrysalis looked up to see that there were now four combatants circling in the sky. Cadance was being 'herded' by her fellow rulers away from the ruins but was putting up a fierce fight nevertheless.

“Why is it that the most powerful ponies always seem to go insane and try to conquer the world?” Chrysalis mused, “Being a 'queen' must go to their heads, how very changeling of them.”

For a single moment Chrysalis thought she understood ponies, but that quickly faded another cry was heard from the darkness, “There they are! Stallions get them, for Princess Cadance!”

Chrysalis saw the crystal ponies begin their charge and rolled her eyes, “Well some things never change.....”


Grizz saw the oncoming soldiers and sighed, “Ponies please stop and listen we're not your enemy!”

The charging guards didn't slow and Grizz shook her head sadly, “Don't say I didn't warn you.”

On reflex, Grizz released her combat pheromones and was soon surrounded by an angry swarm of drones. The approaching ponies didn't slow and Grizz was impressed by their tenacity but her priorities were clear. “Be sure not to hurt them more than needed.”

The soldiers were closing the final few meters before another voice shouted out, “Stand down sergeant, I know them and I need them alive!” The ordered charge became a stumbling rabble of ponies as the crystal soldiers lost their momentum.

Grizz released a sigh of relief as she saw Heart Strong flutter down before the two groups and quickly brought her drones to order as well, “Thanks Strong, what's it looking like up there?”

Strong watched Grizz wearily, “Buzz that is you right?”

“Yes and no Strong, I'll explain later. What is the condition of your soldiers?” Grizz asked again and Strong visibly wilted.

“It's utter chaos Buzz: Command has collapsed, we're getting confused orders and shouts for help on every channel and I can't reach Ponyville at all,” Grizz saw the hurt in Strong's aura. Strong was lost, with her mother going off the deep end and feral changelings fighting the bedraggled groups of remaining guards her will was faltering.

“Well we're doing what we can to stop the drones, I reckon we will have all of them under control within an hour at most,” Grizz assured Strong who snorted in anger.

“Yeah we have to make sure the precious changelings are all okay of course, “ Strong muttered and Grizz's gut twisted.

“It's not like that at all Strong, they're just confused and frightened. Once they understand what's really going on they will stop fighting I promise you, we don't want anypony getting hurt either,” Grizz tried to explain but Strong didn't look convinced.

“Whatever, as long as they stop trying to eat my boys then I guess we can work together,” Strong muttered before giving Grizz a salute, “So your highness what's the plan hmm?”

“To gather all the drones and your soldiers before getting them a safe distance from the fight up there,” Grizz said as shock waves buffeted the trees all around. Lights and explosions filled the sky now.

“Details Buzz, details!” Strong screamed over the gale.

“Chrysalis and I can force the drones to stand down we just need to be close enough to them,” Grizz yelled back and Strong's face went pale.

“Chrysalis, but she's dead isn't she I saw mother hurl her body....” Strong's words trailed off as Chrysalis emerged from the enveloping swarm and smiled brightly at her.

“Rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated,” Chrysalis winked at Strong whose mouth hung open.

“No, you're dead I saw....” Grizz cut Strong off.

“Look there's a lot to tell you, but first we need to stop our two forces from killing each other agreed?” Grizz hissed in impatience.

“Your communications are down, ours however are fine, why don't we attach a couple of drones to each group of your soldiers, we can be you links?” Chrysalis suggested.

“They'll never go for that,” Strong said, her ears drooping.

“Only if they know they're changelings,” Chrysalis replied with a glint in her eye.

Strong paused, “Still won't work, every team has a portable S.D.F and will disrupt your drones the second they come close.”

Chrysalis screeched with anger, “Ponies and your machines.”

Grizz watched the unfolding battle between Broken and the other alicorns in the sky above before speaking slowly, “They have drawn Cadance away from the old castle now, so barring the fires and damage already sustained it should be reasonably safe there.” Grizz smiled at the other two, “We need to do is stop fighting and all this will calm them down.”

Grizz raised her head and sent the impulse to the drones crowding around and marveled at just how easy it was becoming. She felt their confusion, but after a brief moment the drones saluted as one and the scattered. “If we remove one side of the fight then there will be no war,” Grizz explained to the seething Chrysalis.

Chrysalis glared at Grizz, “Run away? Now, when the prey is disordered?”

“Chrissy, they're not prey, they are my friends and family,” Grizz said and Chrysalis blushed.

“I thought you said you'd never call me that in company?” Chrysalis muttered darkly and Grizz smiled.

“I said I'd never call you that in front of the drones, not my cousin, anyway the point still stands, if we can remove the changelings from the equation then all we need to deal with are the fires,” Grizz studied Strong who rubbed her chin in thought.

“I don't like it but, that does seem to be the simplest solution. Most of my forces are so hyped up and paranoid about changelings that they simply won't trust any outside interference,” Strong shook herself and saluted, “Okay I will do my best to get the ponies to hunker down while you focus on calling off the swarm.”

Strong made to leave but Grizz stopped her with a companionable hoof, “I'm sorry Strong she's my aunt remember. Don't worry we’ll snap her out of this.”

“Yeah but the ponies of Equestria will never see her in the same way again Buzz, not after this fiasco,” Grizz saw tears in Strong's eyes before her cousin brushed off her hoof and trotted back to her soldiers.

“That went well I guess,” Chrysalis added and Grizz gave her a long sad look.

“She's right though. Poor Cadance, I never knew she was hurting so deeply,” Grizz said only for Chrysalis to sneer at her.

“I was the one she nearly killed remember, have a little sympathy for your own kind huh?” Chrysalis rolled her eyes and muttered something about ponies and their crazy ideas about husbands as she stomped off after the drones.

“My own kind,” Grizz said softly. It was thrilling and scary at the same time, she wasn't alone or one of kind anymore. She was part of a race to call her own, “One that needs guidance more than ever.”


“They got through right?” Quiz asked and Zip shook his head.

“I don't know Quiz,” Zip replied for the seventh time and looked across the thronging crowds to the still inviolable Ponyville which lay behind its glowing barrier.

“May be Wink got stopped by some soldiers? Quiz mused.

“I doubt it, they seem more intent on keeping ponies out rather than in right now,” Zip said sullenly.

“But then why would it take him so long to get help?” Quiz asked.

“I don't know Quiz, please stop asking me,” Zip begged, but Quiz didn't seem to get the hint.

“Or maybe the Council members don't believe him,” Quiz asked again and Zip simply held his head in his hooves.

The crowds outside Ponyville were beginning to turn ugly, several fights had broken out among the stranded Equestrians as the bright flashes and explosions coming from the Ever Free forest made themselves felt even here.

“It must be a scary fight Zip. I can feel the air moving from here,” Quiz said and Zip noticed her trembling had returned with a vengeance.

“Yeah, good thing we’re here,” Zip muttered glumly and Quiz gave him a questioning look.

“It was your idea to come and get help right?” Quiz asked her shaking momentarily forgotten.

“Yeah Quiz come and get help and now we're stuck here waiting!” Zip rounded on his friend, waving his hooves in frustration. “Wink has probably forgotten already and gone off to see something shiny....” Zip moaned as Quiz leant back from his outburst.

As if in response to his darkening mood the crowds all around began shouting angrily, Zip didn't care though. He'd failed again, failed to be a good sprite, failed to establish a useful spy network and now when Twilight really needed him, failed to convey a simple message, “I'm an utter failure Quiz.”

She looked at him in surprise, “No you're not, how can you even say that?”

“Everything I try to do just fails,” Zip replied sullenly.

“That's not what Twilight told me,” Quiz said and laid a hoof on his shoulder.

“No? Look around Quiz, we've failed,” Zip finally admitted to himself what he'd always feared, he was a failure. He and the other sprites hadn't managed to achieve anything of note and he'd let down Twilight.

Quiz hugged him tenderly, “We haven't Zip, this will blow over and the things will get better. They always do.”

Zip wasn't in the mood to hear hopeful optimism and shrugged off Quiz's hoof, “Yeah that's right, the ponies will sort everything out. We can just go back to being simple messenger carriers.”

“We're more than that Zip, you know that right?” Quiz assured him but the looming hole of despair rose up to swallow Zip.

“No quiz we're not, we may think we are, but we were made to be what we are: useless little toys! A fun distraction or cute pets. We had a chance to be useful I had a chance to prove to Twilight that we're more, but I messed it up okay!” Zip shook with the pain of having his dreams crushed. “Leave me alone Quiz,” Zip muttered and turned his back on her.

“We-are-not Zip, I was trying to tell you earlier but you were too out of it to listen,” Zip felt his chin forced around by a none too gentle Quiz so that he was looking her right in the face. “Twilight told me why she made sprites Zip and she's very proud of us, all of us.”

Zip began an angry retort before seeing the definite look in Quiz's eyes. Just at that moment she looked the very picture of serenity and Zip could almost believe Quiz really did know something of vital importance.

“Twilight made us to discover if machines could develop emotions by themselves. She wanted to figure out how Buzzbot worked and theorised that any machine with enough intelligence would eventually develop a soul and emotions as the magic of our world settled on them. Guess what Zip she was right,” Quiz's intense stare bored into Zip like a diamond drill.

“You mean we're all made simply to be and to become something more?” Zip asked quietly and a tiny spark of hope flashed in his chest.

“Yes Zip, not mere toys or pretty pets. We are the first steps into something wonderful,” Quiz assured him.

“But Buzz was the first living robot right?” Zip found he couldn't look away from Quiz's eyes which seemed to hold in their vice like grip.

“Buzz was made by accident Zip, we were meant to be and look at us now,” Quiz explained and Zip felt her conviction flow into him.

“Then we're a success? All we have to be is ourselves?” Zip could hardly believe it, Twilight had never said anything about this she......

It was in that moment of revelation that the energy barrier surrounding Ponyville cracked before collapsing in on itself with a massive shattering clamor. Zip, Quiz and all those milling around outside looked up to see its fall with open mouthed wonder.

The already dissolving fragments of magic tumbled all around, and out of it a huge shape could be seen flying. Zip felt his heart leap as he realised that Wink must have succeeded in getting the message across.

Spike, huge and powerful rose up out of the ruins of the defence barrier, smoke and fire pouring from the wrecked emitter at the summit of Ponyville's tallest building. The still sparking remains clutched in his claws.

Around him Zip could make out a blue blur moving so fast that it left a glittering trail behind it. This was joined by a slower yellow figure and they orbited Spike like a pair of moons. “He did it, he really did it!” Zip shouted and hugged Quiz tightly.

“We did it Zip,” Quiz corrected as with a bellowing roar Spike soared out towards the Ever Free forest and it was just possible to see three more tiny ponies clinging to his back. One seemed to be waving a Stetson with enthusiasm while another was surrounded by a cloud of confetti. The final figure was wearing a dazzling dress that caught the reflected lights of Ponyville almost magically.


Grizz sidestepped another flaming beam that tumbled down from the blazing roof overhead and found she was learning some valuable lessons about being alive. For one thing smoke, not normally a problem for her, was making Grizz's eyes water while her throat felt like somepony had run a cheese grater along it.

Coughing she had let Chrysalis lead her away from the blazing ruin, “What were you thinking Grizz? You'd be burned alive in there.”

“I...guess...I wasn't....” Grizz spluttered and looked gratefully to Chrysalis who watched her with disbelieving eyes.

“I don't know what you were Grizz, but a changeling can't gallop into a burning building like that!” Chrysalis almost sounded concerned for her.

“I'll remember that honest,” Grizz said, her eyes still streaming. The roof collapsed and to her anguish Grizz heard the cries from inside cut off abruptly.

“We can't save them all , so work on those that we can!” Chrysalis yelled into Grizz's over taxed ears.

“But...” Grizz tried only for Chrysalis to shake her head.

“There are going to be casualties, accept it and move on,” Chrysalis said with a pained voice.

Grizz felt sick at her harshness, surely there must be something they could do? She reached out with magic to call drones to help, but Chrysalis blocked her with sad eyes.

“They're no more fire proof than you are Grizz. You need to move on alright?” Grizz looked up into Chrysalis' weary eyes before nodding in understanding.

“If Twilight was here she'd…” Grizz began before Chrysalis shook her violently.

“Look your highness, Twilight’s got her hooves full. She's not here and we are. As a queen you can't expect others to do everything for you: You have to be the strong one, you have to make the hard calls and live with them,” Grizz reeled under the tirade of Chrysalis' passionate words, she really meant every one of them.

Grizz fought off Chrysalis' grip and stared at her as if with new eyes, “Is this what you meant by having to make sacrifices?”

Chrysalis visibly wilted, “This is just being a ruler, it's got nothing to do with being a changeling queen. Even your pony rulers understand that at least.”

“I...” Grizz began, but didn't know what to say in reply.

“Just do your job Grizz,” Chrysalis hissed before leading her along another path.

The old castle was alive with drones now, they crawled over the walls and could be seen hovering in the skies above. Both Grizz and Chrysalis agreed that speed was more important than subtlety and so had spread the swarm out to alert any stragglers of their need to vacate the area.

There were only a few places left to search, the majority of the halls and byways were swept clean of any drones, the small pockets of pony resistance noted and avoided. As Grizz and Chrysalis stepped carefully over the fallen debris they came across the bodies.

Both changeling and Equestrian were scattered throughout the ruins, all had evidence covering them which suggested the other parties were responsible for their deaths. Grizz was painfully reminded of the echoing halls of Chrysalis' former home.

Only this time it seemed far more pointless, there was no need at all for this fight. Only the shameful madness of Cadance driving it, “She really hates you doesn't she?”

Chrysalis paused, “Who? It's a fairly long list I'm afraid.”

“Cadance; she's always been so kind and well lovely,” Grizz explained before Chrysalis clicked dismissively.

“Oh her, no I don't think she hates me, she's just agonising over the impending loss of Shining Armour,” Chrysalis announced as if the sun was simply setting.

“Shining? He's dying?” Grizz stopped and looked at Chrysalis with horror.

“In a way we all are my dear, but Cadance certainly seemed to believe he isn't long for this world,” Chrysalis prodded a fallen guard, the poor pony seemed to have bled out from a hundred small cuts.

“That's terrible,” Grizz replied.

“That's life Grizz, we grow old and we die,” Chrysalis announced.

“No I mean the poor soldier, did the drones do that?” Grizz saw the poor stallion just lying there and felt the bile rising in her throat.

“Most likely,” Chrysalis said quietly, “Desperation does nasty things to ponies and changelings alike it seems.

“But why kill him? Changelings...we're normally not so quick in killing prey,” Grizz felt her stomach lurch and Chrysalis chuckled morosely.

“Having second thoughts? We are what we are Grizz. Yes you're doing fine work in lifting us to be better, but some instincts are too deeply rooted to change overnight,” Chrysalis watched Grizz carefully.

“No I, of course not, I just....” Grizz stared at the dead pony and felt oddly detached, she was sad it was true, but he wasn't one of her kind.

“I would imagine that a pony driven to desperation would do something similar to a drone had they been in the same situation,” Chrysalis prompted and Grizz looked around to see drones horribly killed as well.

“I guess you're right Chrissy, when the chips are down we're not much different huh?” Grizz looked up to Chrysalis and expected to see some shared kinship there, but instead was almost a look of admiration.

“No, you care about all of them. You're very different from me Grizz,” Chrysalis said levelly before pressing forward.

Grizz stood stunned for a moment before galloping to catch up, “And you don't?”

“Me? Chrysalis laughed, “Oh it's going to take more than some kind words and ideals from you to make me care about these furry creatures.”

Grizz simply stared in bemusement, “Every time I think I understand you Chrysalis you go and say something like that.”

“Same here Grizz, but I've made my choice for good or bad. As I told you before I'm here to make sure we changelings survive. I don't have to like it or even like you, but that's the way of things,” Chrysalis kept looking ahead as she spoke.

Grizz was getting used to reading Chrysalis now and saw the faintest glimmer of a lie there, “You like me. You won't admit it but you do like me don't you?”

Chrysalis clicked angrily, “Of course I don't, you saved me from death and stole my swarm away from me, how could I possibly like you and your crazy ideas?”

Grizz giggled, “I don't know how but you do, admit it!”

“I think that smoke has addled your brain Grizz,” Chrysalis replied as she kicked a fallen stone.

Grizz smiled playfully, the dreary surroundings momentarily forgotten, “Well I think under all that tough mare stuff you're a nice person trying to get out.”

“The only nice in me is what I've eaten from ponies, changeling queens are not nice,” Chrysalis paused for a moment, “Well except for you it seems, but you're a freak.”

“A freak who's your friend, admit it!” Grizz was certain she had the measure of Chrysalis now and almost bounced after her.

“Enough we still have a lot of things to do and....” The wall behind Chrysalis exploded inwards an enraged Broken Justice rolled across the floor between Grizz and Chrysalis. Her red mane and coat covered in scorch marks.

Grizz was thrown back as heat swept along the tunnel and she was forced to shade her eyes from the glowing princess before her. Cad...Broken’s mane and tail were ragged, but her eyes still burned with dark fire and even before the wall had finished collapsing she'd staggered to her hooves and fixed Grizz with a demented stare.

“Chrysalis I'm not done with you yet fiend, don't think you can run from me!” Grizz shrank back as spittle flew from Broken's mouth and the fire continued to weep from her once gentle eyes.

“Cadance...” Grizz whispered as she took a faltering step backwards, “Cadance it's me Buzz!”

Her aunt seemed to freeze for a moment and her eyes narrowed, “You can't fool me, there's only one changeling queen left and...”

“Then you're as blind as you are wrong Princess!” Chrysalis shouted from behind.

Broken Justice snapped her head around to glare at Chrysalis and Grizz felt a shock run through her as the room seemed to fill with fire, “More trickery bug queen? I don't care where you hide I will make you pay...”

It burned, not the heat but the sorrow for Cadance, she was clearly insane and to see her aunt so reduced tore at Grizz's heart.

“That's right monster, here I am. You think beating me again will bring back your precious husband then you're as crazy as you look!” Chrysalis looked almost happy to see Broken again.

Broken shuddered at the mention of Shining Armour, the heat filling the corridor winked out to be replaced by a freezing chill. Grizz felt it grip her tightly. She shivered uncontrollably even as crystals began to form all around Broken and rapidly spread outwards.

“You dare mention him to me? You...” Broken's rant was cut off as another comet flew into the already ravaged passageway.

Twilight Sparkle struck Broken in the side and both cannoned away through the far wall causing further stone and wood to tumble downwards in a torrent. Grizz was forced to dive back as the over abused ceiling finally gave way.

“Chrissy! Are you alright?” Grizz shouted in between coughs as dust filled the air. As the cloud of debris cleared she saw that Chrysalis was down, half buried in the rubble. Grizz shook herself down and dived across the space, she began to hurl bricks and planks away.


Chrysalis didn't look badly hurt, just a few scrapes and she even managed to groan angrily as Grizz lifted her head, “Remind me not to anger a pony demigod again okay? Every time I do it ends badly for me.”

Grizz laughed in relief before hearing a sound above them. Glancing upwards Grizz saw Luna and Celestia both hovering, their horns crackling with power. Grizz stood up, letting Chrysalis' head sink back slowly.

“Fine job you did of keeping Cadance away!” Grizz shouted up at them.

Celestia and Luna looked suitably chastened and serious expressions formed on their faces, “Sorry Grizz, she's quicker and more driven than we expected.”

“Well don't take it easy on our account, we're just humble mortals....” Chrysalis hissed and Grizz could only smile in an embarrassed manner.

Celestia nodded to Luna before the pair angled their flight to where Twilight and Broken were now glaring at each other over a flattened courtyard. Even as Grizz watched the two royal sisters circled Cadance while she ranted something at Twilight.

Grizz reached down and helped Chrysalis regain her hooves, “You sure you're alright?”

“Nothing I haven't been through before,” Chrysalis muttered and Grizz felt her heart twist.

“Being attacked by a crazy alicorn is all in a day's work for you?” Grizz replied.

Chrysalis hissed, “Something like that. When your chief food supply is ponies then you have regular run ins with those kind of beings.”

Grizz smiled, happy that Chrysalis was her old sardonic self and turned to watch the battle unfolding. Broken was thrashing against an enclosing dome which was being maintained by the efforts of her fellow princesses. She battered herself against the magic barrier, snarling and cursing them all for their interference.

“Now that brings a tear to my eye,” Chrysalis announced and Grizz looked at her to see if she was serious.

“Really? Me too, it's so sad to see her like this,” Grizz replied and knew by Chrysalis' chuckle that she'd miss read her again.

“No: That they won't just squish her and save us all future trouble,” Grizz shook her head as Chrysalis who 'tutted' in disappointment.

Grizz caught a change in the wind and looked up to see the immense bulk of Spike flying in over the horizon. With him she saw the other council members, the famous Element Bearers, and her friends. The cavalry had arrived.

“Oh great more of them,” Chrysalis muttered and Grizz couldn't help but grin.

“You've never seen this before have you?” Grizz asked and Chrysalis cocked an eyebrow at her.

“What when the ponies use their 'lovey-dovey' magic to save the day? Been there done that, it's not as pleasant as you may think,” Chrysalis commented as glowing bubbles of power surrounded Twilight and the others and they drifted slowly into the air.

“Well when you're on the receiving end it's a bit more unfriendly when you’re hit in the face,” Chrysalis said as a swirling rainbow formed out of thin air and crashed down onto the still struggling Cadance.

“But I will admit it's effective, if a bit showy,” Chrysalis added as the rainbow evaporated to reveal a gently sleeping Cadance surrounded by devastation. “It's almost as if the World saw the need for common mortals to be able to reign in crazy demigods every once in a while.”

Grizz nodded as the power faded and the princesses and Council of Harmony gathered around Cadance who was slowly stirring upon the ground. “Convenient isn't it,” Grizz agreed as the first few hints of dawn began to show themselves, Celestia smiling even as she moved the sun.