• Published 9th Jan 2015
  • 695 Views, 25 Comments

One Mask Among Many. - Golden Paw



Technological advances have lifted Equestria to a better quality of life than ever before, but moral implications become apparent when an 'envoy' from an old foe comes asking for help.

  • ...
6
 25
 695

Chapter Seven

Zip looked to each of his fellow Sprites in turn. His determined eyes bored into their ‘souls’, “There’s trouble brewing here and we need to do something about it.”

One sprite raised a shaking hoof, “But what can we do? We’re only assistants and messengers?” An uncertain mumble of agreement swept the tiny storage room as the other sprites voiced their concerns.

Zip put on a brave face. The problem had been bouncing around his head since Discord had left him in the vent two days ago. Twilight was treading on thin ice right now, risking Celestia’s anger in the course she had chosen. Nothing had occurred yet, but Zip was certain that a volcano was rumbling. What can we do, we’re so small and.....

The grin on Zip’s muzzle caused several of the other sprites to lean back in their cubby-holes, “We ‘are’ messengers you’re right. That’s how we will help.” The plan seemed so simple now that Zip mulled it over. Sprites were a relatively new aspect of Equestrian life, they were useful for little errands and no pony gave them a second thought.

“For now all we need do is watch, keep an eye on things. When something does happen we can make sure all the right ponies are told what they need to know,” Maybe it was Discord’s influence, or maybe just an surfacing attribute of Zip’s own but he found himself eager for this new challenge.

“No pony knows the air ducts and crawl spaces of Equestria like we do. We can be the eyes and ears that are needed. We can be the.....” Zip’s voice trailed off as an image of sprites watching from every little peep hole: keeping tabs on events and making sure the right ponies knew what was happening. “We could be spies.”

The other sprites looked at Zip as if he’d suggested overthrowing the princesses and he coughed with embarrassment, “The good sort I mean.” His fellows didn’t look convinced. “We could drop a little note here, a message there. Let Twilight or the others know if trouble was brewing.”

“But we could get in so much trouble!” Zip smiled. It was almost a certainty that Quiz would be the one to object and he smiled indulgently as she voiced her concerns. “We’re not made to be that kind of machine Zip, if the ponies found out what you’re planning to do then...then.” A collective shudder ran through the assembled listeners.

“Then we won’t get caught,” The fire of vision had been kindled in Zip’s tiny robot heart. There was nothing that would dissuade him from his course now. “If we don’t do something then I fear that the princesses will fall out and who knows where that could lead?” There wasn’t a sprite alive who didn’t know the history of Nightmare Moon and every one of them shook with fear before Zip pressed on, “Is it worth the chance of something like that happening again?”

After a tense moment the other sprites all shook their heads in agreement and Zip felt a surge of relief, he had them on board now, “So for now we just watch how things go and bring news of anything suspicious back here okay?” The room nodded before a frantic tapping could be heard.

A yellow sprite poked her head through the vent above, “Somepony is coming!”

The secret meeting quickly broke apart as its members urgently settled down into their respective alcoves. A few seconds later the door seals gave a heavy ‘thunk’. The sounds of talking grew louder as the chamber’s hatch opened slowly and a green coated mare stuck her head in, “Good morning. I would like to send a package to thirty seven Walnut Street, any of you little darlings up for the task?”

As several of his fellows waved their hooves eagerly the mare smiled happily. Zip couldn’t help but grin, The ponies of Equestria didn’t suspect a thing, this might actually work!


Scrund shuffled into the lee of a boulder jabbering to himself the whole time and Buzz felt her pity for the creature only increase. She’d walked with the changeling for a little over half an hour, listening to his non-stop muttering.

“This place nice, no monsters come here,” Scrund beckoned for ‘Grizz’ to follow him down a root-lined tunnel and Buzz could almost have cried at the irony of that statement. Only us. Not letting her worries show Buzz followed the shambling mound down the passage.

The rust coloured earth had been mined into a twisting tunnel some time ago it seemed, roots hung freely from the ceiling and crept down the walls. Buzz could see cobwebs and little insects everywhere and fought the urge to shiver. He’d stopped just outside a thin membranous blockage.

“Scrund home my little friends and Scrund has brought a new friend too!” Her guide announced happily as he pushed aside the covering. It opened up into a small chamber which was lit by strange fungal-like growths dipping down from the ceiling. These gave off a pale greenish blue hue and Buzz had to fight the urge to cover her nose; the rounded room smelt foisty. The damp mildew and green slime of changelings mixed together to form a ‘unique’ aroma.

Scrund was oblivious to Buzz’s discomfort and hobbled enthusiastically around a central pool of stagnant water in the chamber’s centre. “This Grizz. He came to find Scrund. Isn’t that wonderful?”

Buzz shifted unhappily, even though technically without gender ‘she’ always considered herself a she. Pretending to be ‘male’ still sat poorly with her even after all these years, but all drones were male as far as Twilight could discover so needs must. The only females in Changeling society were their queens.

“Come say hello Grizz, Scrund is sure they will like you!” Scrund announced eagerly as he pointed out a number of slimy bulges attached to the walls. They appeared to be clumps of woven roots mingled with the ever present slime the changelings made.

Buzz felt her heart skip being keenly reminded of the nurseries back at the abandoned hive. Scrund lifted a flap of thin membrane and Buzz realised that they were wasp nests. She instinctively shied back as the sounds of hundreds of tiny insects filled the air.

Fighting down panic Buzz closed her eyes as the tiny humming bodies engulfed her. Crawling all over her, their many legs gently rubbing her carapace in an almost kindly fashion.... After a few terrifying moments Buzz could make out a collective ‘feeling’ from the swarm. They were pleased to see her.

It wasn’t spoken as such, but more of an imparted message of kindness that spoke straight to the soul and Buzz was taken aback by such an open welcome. Wasps had long been a pest in Equestria and ponies were rightly afraid of the tiny stinging creatures. To see them as something friendly was simply astonishing.

Slowly.... very slowly buzz opened her eyes to see Scrund beaming happily through the cloud of humming wasps, “Friends like Grizz!”

Buzz didn’t dare move as the swarm crawled over her, but amazingly took care not to get into her eyes or mouth. They were almost being respectful. “Thanks I like them too,” She said timidly.

Scrund’s smile only widened as he raised a hoof to rummage in the bracken covering his back, “Scrund has nice things for friends.” He dropped a few sickly smelling chunks of something before each hive and the wasps eagerly dived down and began to feed. Buzz watched in fascinated revulsion as Scrund lit the broken stump of his horn and a weak green glow covered the busy insects.

She blinked, opened her arcane vision and felt her ‘stomach’ lurch. Scrund was draining the tiniest sliver of emotion from every wasp. Their little bodies shook as essence was drawn from hundreds of small sources. Buzz cringed as the focus of Scrund’s magic swept from one group of bugs to the next, siphoning off a portion of their simple affection in turn.

It seemed horrible, yet Scrund took enormous care to not to take too much from any one insect. Buzz suddenly understood how Scrund had survived alone all this time alone: ‘Milking’ his friends like a farmer would tend livestock. It was almost moving yet disgusting at the same time.

“Grizz hungry?” Scrund asked and Buzz was snapped out of her reverie.

“What me? No I already ate earlier today,” Buzz lied. Mercifully Scrund nodded before letting the magical glow fade. “So this is your home then?” She asked quickly.

He nodded, “Scrund lives here now with Scrund’s friends.”

Buzz took the chance to look over the dank little room and felt her heart go out to Scrund. He must have been alone here for years with just his little ‘friends’ for company. No wonder he’s totally gone in the head.

The nagging importance of her mission pressed on Buzzbot’s mind. She needed to know what had happened here and where Queen Chrysalis was, but she didn’t want to unbalance this poor creature any further. Who knows what he might do if I push him?

“I like what you have done with the place, very homely,” Buzz managed, a brittle quality in her tone.

Scrund nodded happily, “Here been good to Scrund. Will be sad to leave it.”

“Leave? Why are you going?” Buzz asked in confusion.

Scrund gave her a lopsided look of disbelief, “Now Grizz has found Scrund we are going to new home. Going to see Mum right? See others?” Buzz’s heart cracked. Oh sweet Celestia, he thinks I’ve come to take him back to the rest of the hive.

Scrund pressed on as Buzz felt a terrible stab of ice pounded into her core, “Will be sad to leave friends behind. Maybe Mum let Scrund keep them?”

Buzz felt the tears begin to well unbidden and cursed herself for a fool, “I could um talk to the others when I see them...” She began and Scrund smiled appreciatively. Nothing in her programming had prepared Buzz for this.

Scrund nodded slowly before shuffling up to Buzz and rubbed himself against her like a sorrowful puppy, “Grizz came to find Scrund. We see Mum soon.”

The tears burst out and without thinking about it Buzz gently tapped Scrund on the head, he was kind of sweet in a gross way, “Yes Scrund, we will be home soon.”

The changeling blinked sleepily as he snuggled close. To her continued misery Scrund gazed at Buzz with his one good eye, “Tell Scrund about Mum, been so long since Scrund has seen Mum.

Buzz did her best to recall all she knew about Chrysalis, but all the data she had on the Queen was from a pony’s perspective and didn’t paint her in a terribly good light. She smiled sadly at Scrund whose eyes even now looked heavy, “Mum is big and strong, so strong she nearly overpowered the pony Princess Celestia. She cares a great deal about her children and would do almost anything for them.” Buzz felt utterly wretched lying to this poor lonely changeling, but what choice did she have?

“Mum has green eyes and crisp wings. It’s her responsibility to find food for her children,” Buzz continued on, trying to put a positive spin on the mad monster that had nearly destroyed Canterlot.

Scrund mumbled sleepily and pressed his head against Buzz’s shoulder, “Scrund found food, Mum be proud of Scrund....”

Buzzbot cried, it was too much for her to see this happening. If she needed anything to vindicate that Twilight’s course of action was a good one then this poor drone was it. He didn’t choose to be what he was. It wasn’t his fault that he was born a monster in the eyes of Equestria. All he wanted was his mother.

Scrund hissed softly and Buzz gratefully saw he’d fallen asleep. She sat there for a long time, thinking over the things she’d seen the past few days. It all seemed so...... an internal chime sounded in Buzz’s head.

Shaking herself free from the melancholy thoughts that threatened to drown her Buzz noted that Spike was attempting to contact her. With great care she removed herself from Scrund’s embrace and let his head rest gently on the floor.

Still wiping away tears from her eyes Buzz headed back up the tunnel. The cold air of falling night seeped into Buzz and she shivered. The sun’s last rays were dimming on the horizon as Buzz stepped out into the open air and finally responded to the incessant chiming in her skull.

“Yes Spike?” It was a sharper greeting than Buzz had planned. It was far more difficult to hide her grief with an internal communication.

Spike’s deep voice spoke inside Buzz’s head, “How goes the hunt?”

“Badly. I have found one drone, but he seems to have no idea about where the rest of the hive has gone,” Buzz replied in a trembling voice.

Spike didn’t respond at once, “Are you alright? You sound hurt.”

Buzz sniffled, “Yeah I’m alright it’s just a bit heavy going. The hive was deserted with only dead changelings and ponies there.”

“We knew it was going to be bad Buzz, I’m sorry you had to see that,” Spike said flatly.

Buzz nodded, “I was just expecting them to be monsters but they’re more than that. It’s far easier to dismiss them like some evil story book villain, but oh Spike, the drone just wants his mum.” Buzz’s attempt at calm broke and she cried openly, her tears running down her black shiny cheeks before splashing on the dust below.

“Him? You mean the changeling drone?” Spike asked, a troubled note in his tone.

“Yes Spike ‘Scrund’! He’s just a poor lonely drone who’s lost his family and thinks I’ve come to take him back to them!” Even though Buzz made no outward sound she was screaming inside and stomped her hoof on the ground.

Spike paused again, “Buzz you know what they do. They kill ponies and would have enslaved Equestria if we didn’t stop them. Don’t let your feelings get in the way of the mission. We’re here to help them if we can, but don’t doubt for a moment that they are dangerous.”

Buzz felt the anger growing in her; it just seemed so unfair, “You haven’t seen him, he’s living in a hole in the ground with only wasps for friends Spike! That’s not a monster it’s just tragic!”


The silence drew out and Buzz panted angrily. After a tense minute Spike finally replied, “Buzz, I feel for him I really do. That’s why we’re here to find out what’s really going on and if the changelings are genuinely willing to make peace.”

Buzzbot pawed at the ground, she’d snapped at Spike who was only trying to help, “I....Sorry Spike, it’s just all a bit much right now. It’s just so sad.”

“I know, I know. The first time I set foot outside Equestria it was a real eye opener for me too, but you have to focus on what’s needed,” Spike’s consolatory response lifted the dark cloud bearing down on her. “Did Scrund have any idea where the other changelings have gone?”

Buzz gazed out across the barren landscape, at the cracked and broken spires of the empty hive, “Not as such, but I don’t think his mind is all there anymore Spike. It might make Scrund worse if I try to get him to recall any details.”

She paused as the sadness welled up in her again until Buzz felt like she’d drown in her own heartache, “He wants me to take him home to the others Spike but I don’t even have the first clue where to start looking.”

Spike’s voice took on a predatory edge, “Well I could do a fly about and see what I can find. I can sniff out a changeling lair in my sleep.”

Buzz could almost ‘hear’ the grin on Spike’s face, “Well that seems like a better plan than just wandering the wastes and hoping we get lucky.”

A distant roar echoed in the darkness and Buzz was keenly reminded of just how unsafe this place was, “I’ll spend the night here with Scrund, you scout out and see what you can find okay?”

Spike grunted down the communicator in agreement, “Fine Buzz but no matter how harmless he seems now changelings are dangerous, remember that.”

“I will,” Buzz muttered and cut the line before taking a deep breath and trotting back down into Scrund’s lair.


Quiz trembled, she didn’t want to, she shouldn’t need to but yet she was. Zip had told her to keep an eye on Twilight and it had seemed the safest idea at the time. That was until had Twilight marched up to Celestia’s study in Canterlot with the incriminating book in tow.

It had been a simple matter for Quiz to be included in Twilight’s small entourage, travelling to the capital in a personal coach. Twilight took sprites with her almost everywhere now. Canterlot had been a real shock to Quiz, unlike Ponyville the capital of Equestria remained largely unchanged by the inventions of the future.

The guards still wore the classic golden armour and carried the symbolic spears of their role. But if a pony was to look closer the effects of the new age were there. Tiny crystals fed magical power to spear tips and a nest of sensor points were cunningly concealed within the helmets.

There was nothing low-tech about the security stations and checkpoints that needed to be passed to gain entry to Canterlot either; The tickling sensation of scan beams and arcane detection probes was the order of the day.

Even within the city itself the evidence of advancement was there to see for those who knew where to look. Masterfully enmeshed with the traditional styles were arcane lights, magical displays and communication terminals. As with Ponyville they the designers had done their best to keep the ‘feel’ of Canterlot intact.

What struck Quiz as they travelled the roads and streets of Canterlot was the lack of variety. She’d long become accustomed to Ponyville’s cosmopolitan nature, with Twilight’s research centre drawing in members from almost every sentient race of the world. Here in Canterlot the population was vastly dominated by ponies.

“Where are all the buffalo and others?” Quiz asked to no pony in particular.

Twilight lifted her head from Myths and Legends and smiled at Quiz indulgently, “They are here and welcome Quiz, it’s just Canterlot is the Equestrian capital and deals mostly with ponies.”

Quiz trembled, realising she’d spoken out loud, “Oh okay.” She didn’t really understand but trusted Twilight’s judgement.

The other members of the party didn’t give the conversation a moment’s thought as the coach rolled past the outer walls of Canterlot Castle, the sentries on duty waving them through with a smile.

Once inside the nature of the crowds changed. Quiz saw dignitaries and envoys of every shape, colour and race thronging the courtyard. Twilight stowed away her book as the coach drew up to the main entrance and a number of footponies trotted forward to open the doors for her.

“Thank you gentlecolts,” Twilight responded as she stepped down and smiled at the assembled crowds.

The level of chatter increased as those present saw that it was Twilight in person. Quiz felt the urge to hide and quickly dived into Twilight’s mane. Obviously feeling the gentle tug Twilight laughed softly, “It’s okay Quiz you’re among friends here.”

“But they’re all looking at me,” Quiz squeaked and Twilight laughed loudly.

“Oh Quiz I forget you’re not used to the attention,” She gently disentangled Quiz from her mane, “They’re all looking at me anyway so don’t worry. I seldom come in person to see Celestia these days so they will all be gossiping about the reason for my visit.” Twilight winked, “I’ll keep their attention and you just drift along behind okay?”

Quiz looked up into Twilight’s eyes and saw the undercurrent of pain there, despite her gentle words Quiz saw that something was eating at Twilight. Quiz’s gaze drifted to where the book was now stored in Twilight’s saddle bags.

“Yep, nothing to worry about,” Twilight said and it seemed to be almost to herself.

Twilight had been silent on the walk through the castle, acknowledging any hails with a slight nod. Now they were before Celestia’s study doors Quiz could feel the tension in the air. “I want you to stay here Quiz,” Twilight announced solemnly.

“But your highness I.....” Quiz tried, but one look from her stern eyes and Quiz’s courage melted. “Oh okay...”

Twilight nodded and signalling to the guards at the door waited for Celestia’s permission to enter.

“Why hello Twilight, it’s a pleasure to see you again. I must admit I was surprised to hear you were comin....” Celestia’s welcome was muted as the doors closed behind Twilight and left Quiz floating with little flits of her delicate wings.

She smiled weakly at the two ponies on guard, but they simply stared straight ahead. Wanting the tension to ease Quiz tried to engage the nearest pony, a grey unicorn stallion, in conversation, “So is it fun being a guard? You must get to see Celestia a lot?”

Stony silence greeted her enquiry and Quiz felt the shaking begin again. “Oh okay, well I’ll just stay here if that’s alright?” Still the soldiers made no effort to reply, simply looking dead ahead with an intense focus. What do I do now? I mean Zip told me to keep an eye on Twilight but...

There was a low rumble and the ground shook. This time the two guards looked at each other, finally breaking their detached manner to glance nervously at the doors to Celestia’s personal rooms. There were little wisps of smoke beginning to curl from the gaps around each decorated door.

Quiz felt her limbs lock up, there was a massive amount of magic being used in the next room and the doors were beginning to glow with an intense heat. The delicate carvings of ponies and symbols started to run as the portal turned from a dull orange to an angry red.

The soldiers backed away as the door achieved a brilliant golden radiance and heavy thumps and crashes could be heard from within. Panicking Quiz felt the heat building beyond the now trembling doors and tipped upside down as the fear made her whole frame go ridged.

The two soldiers fled as another tremble shook the floor and little gouts of flame seeped around the glowing doors. Quiz couldn’t flee, her mind locked with the terror now filling it and just as she sank to the floor and prepared to surrender to oblivion a soft hoof caught her.

Surprise shocked Quiz out of her transfixed state and she looked up into the humour-filled eyes of none other than Princess Luna, “Well there little one, you’re a long way from home.” The Night Princess spoke in a assured calm, totally at odds with the situation unfolding in Celestia’s study.

“Pri..Princess Luna you have to stop them they’re...” Quiz stammered only for Luna to smile widely.

“Oh that. That’s just my sister letting off some steam, she will get over it soon, not to worry,” Luna sounded playful, utterly at ease and Quiz simply stared at her with wide eyes.

“You’re not worried that somepony will get hurt?” Quiz asked, disbelief sounding from every word.

Luna glanced at the glowing doors before shaking her head, “Twilight and Celestia have had their differences in the past; it’s always blown over.”

Quiz simply couldn’t believe that Luna could be so calm about this, “But Twilight read in a book that everything is broken in the world, that half the creatures about now are wrong and...and and....”

For the first time since Luna had arrived her face became stony, “What book is this pray tell?”

The change in Luna’s manner was subtle but easily felt, a slight stiffening of the limbs and glint in her gentle eyes that wasn’t there before. Quiz put her tiny hooves to her mouth realising that she’d said too much, but the damage was done now.

Luna’s eyes bored into Quiz and the sprite faltered under that piercing gaze, “Tell me.” The kindness in Luna’s manner was gone pushed aside as something dark and terrible seemed to be clawing its way to the surface.

“Discord gave Twilight a book called Myths and legends of Equestria. It told a story about the First Council of Harmony and some big bug called ‘Slift’ or something,” Quiz’s terrified stammering came out in a flood as she hid her face from Luna.

Shadows seemed to swell about Luna for a moment, before her eyes closed slowly and the gentle alicorn from before returned, “I see and how perchance did you come by this knowledge?”

Quiz peered out from behind her hooves to see Luna was herself once again, “I...I...”

“I see we have much to discuss, come with me little one. Let Twilight and my sister resolve their differences in ‘peace’,” Without waiting for Quiz’s reply Luna swept down the corridor with the terrified guards watching from a safe distance.