• Published 9th Jan 2015
  • 697 Views, 25 Comments

One Mask Among Many. - Golden Paw



Technological advances have lifted Equestria to a better quality of life than ever before, but moral implications become apparent when an 'envoy' from an old foe comes asking for help.

  • ...
6
 25
 697

Chapter Thirteen.

Chrysalis stared open mouthed at the huge dragon before her and was embarrassed to admit that she squeaked like a newly hatched grub. Half buried in the still falling rock she strained against her bonds, terror lending her strength. But it was all for nought, the chains were too well made and Chrysalis eventually resigned herself to her fate.

The dragon, huge and threatening, continued to watch her with its massive green eyes, a slight smile on its reptilian lips. Chrysalis coughed as further dust rained down before hissing at the beast, “Well, you ugly brute, what are you waiting for?”

The dragon simply smiled wider, showing off lines of teeth each easily the size of Chrysalis herself. It was obviously enjoying the moment, but Chrysalis was in no mood to be toyed with, “Look either burn me to a crisp or be off with you!”

Looking at Chrysalis with amused eyes, the dragon snorted once before retreating. She allowed herself a moment of pride, but it quickly became evident that this beast still wasn’t intimidated, but simply looking for something else.

Well that suits me, now just to get these wretched chains off. The rumbling continued as her ‘rescuer’ continued to demolish the hive and Chrysalis wasted no time in capitalising on such fortune. With her sister dead the hive was now leaderless and that gave her an almost poetic opportunity.

Now free of the spells addling her mind, Chrysalis focused. Come on you rabble obey your betters. The magic was slow to heed her call and with a grunt she threw even more effort into the spell. Come on, this should be grub’s play.

Sweat began to pour down her muzzle, mixing with the coated dust and dripping onto the floor as Chrysalis poured all her will into what should have been an easy task. She only stopped when the shackles binding her began to glow angrily and with horror Chrysalis felt them become unbearably hot. Gah well played Ichor, you know your chains.

Panting and trying to ignore the slight burning smell Chrysalis stopped and thought. There’s a dragon rampaging through this hive. It’s not after you so that’s a plus, but no doubt it will be more than willing to incinerate any poor fool who gets in its way. When it comes to drones they have a great number of fools among their ranks.

She had the dreadful vision of her being trapped here in an empty hive and left to rot. That would simply not do. With her magic denied her there was only one thing left, “Drones get your miserable bodies over here and get me out!”


Buzz felt the tunnel trembling even as her systems began to restore. “I really need to find out what keeps doing that,” She mumbled and cursed as the strength returned to her limbs. Blinking the dust out of her eyes Buzz saw the sorry state of the tunnel and shuddered.

Large cracks were spreading across the ceiling and down the walls, while little shafts of sunlight filtered through abused ceiling. She had been a good distance from the surface here and knew that daylight simply couldn’t be a good sign.

Even as she caught her bearings a number of panicking drones tore past, their frantic shrieks mingling with the ongoing rumbles that shook the floor. Well you wanted to sow a little chaos Buzz, guess what, you got your wish.

She stumbled along the shaking passageway and frantically tried to recall what she’d been doing before her crash. Something about making Scrund happy? Oh sweet Celestia the whole place was coming apart, Scrund! Ice gripped Buzz’s heart and she put everything else out of her mind.

Pushing through another pack of fleeing changelings Buzz desperately tried to barge her way back to the nutrient halls. She didn’t care that she knocked drones senseless in her wake, nor gave any heed to the chips and rocks bouncing off her carapace and simply.... Then the siren whisper in her mind. It was only brief and so quiet that Buzz was amazed she heard it at all, but it was there: The Queen needed help.

She double checked her disguise, she had reverted back to her first changeling form and for all intents and purposes was a member of Chrysalis’ hive in theory. That could only mean that Chrysalis really was here!

Buzz felt her insides writhe with indecision. Her heart was screaming to find Scrund, to make sure he was safe, but all her borrowed impulses drew her to save her Queen. The Queen needed help. The message echoed in Buzz’s mind and she froze in the conflict of indecision.

Gritting her teeth Buzz forced down the impulse, she wasn’t a true changeling, she was only pretending to be one. She could never forgive her true self if Scrund got hurt, but he may never forgive her if the Queen was lost. Buzz hissed in anger and bucked the nearest wall which simply cracked further.

Mercifully the instinctual call subsided and Buzz shook her head in relief, Chrysalis would need to take care of herself. Her choice made Buzz hammered forward again, sidestepping fallen rock and pushed past thrashing drones.

Her progress was slow, almost painfully so and yet more cracks appeared in the rust-coloured stone. Buzz also fancied she heard the sounds of roaring and her still addled brain began to piece together what must be happening, “Spike, Spike are you there?”

Buzz snarled at a blocking drone, one of Ichor’s brood who against all reason seemed to be determined to stand guard. Upon seeing Buzz the changeling hissed a challenge of its own and lunged at her. Spike please respond, whatever you’re doing you need to stop! The whole hive is collapsing!”

She blocked a powerful kick from the drone, before returning the favour with one of her own. Buzz felt the chitin crack as her hoof connected and felt a grim smile appear on her face, despite everything going on it still felt good to fight Ichor’s..... Buzz shook her head she needed to stay focused.

Angrily the opposing drone clutched at his weeping limb and hissed again as Buzz sought to barge past him. This time she was successful and knocked the foe onto the ground with a heavy shoulder slam. The trembling of the walls around her only increased and Buzz cursed inwardly, “Spike you great moron, stop attacking the hive! You’ll crush us all!” Nothing....

Buzz screamed her frustrations at the shaking ceiling as fresh changelings rounded the corner. Turning her desperate eyes on the approaching horde she vented her anger, “I-don’t-have-time-for-this!” She punctuated every word with an emerald flash from her horn, sending burning bolts of magic screaming down the tunnel.

They caused tiny explosions where they impacted, scattering rock shrapnel and causing the approaching drones to pull back. “Spike if he gets hurt I’ll...”

“Grizz it’s us!”, Buzz paused for a moment and the world seemed to crawl to a standstill. Buzz was panting heavily, the sudden flash of anger evaporating as she heard that voice. With terrible regret Buzz peered down the passageway and saw one of the drones was waving his hooves in frenzy. It was Scrund!

Every thought fled her mind at the sight of him and Buzz galloped full pelt towards the drone. Scrund leaned back, a look of terror on his face as Buzz leaped the last few meters and cannoned into him, “Grizz stop we’re on your side we....”

His protests failed as Buzz wrapped her hooves around him and hugged Scrund tightly. She stared at him with tear stained eyes before leaning in and kissing him on the muzzle. Little fireworks danced in Buzz’s heart as she finally began to understand the strange feelings she’d been having.

She smiled happily at Scrund so relieved to know he was alright, but as she pulled back a stare of utter disbelief met Buzz’s eyes. Oh broken servos and burnt lubricants, you’ve done it now.

With a forced motion Scrund broke Buzzbot’s grip and backed away, studying her the whole time with a wide eye. The other drones watched the scene with perplexed hisses, their teeth bared. Buzz felt a cold fear creeping over her as Scrund’s face morphed from disbelief to hurt and finally settled on anger.

“I don’t know what you are Grizz but you’re no changeling. No drone would expose their heart like that,” Scrund spoke in a tight voice as if struggling to force each word out. “I trusted you Grizz and now it turns out that trust was misplaced,” He nodded to the other drones which began to advance with hunger in their eyes.

The pain was almost overwhelming, the complete reversal of her situation was like a grinding blade against her soul. The way Scrund looked at her now made Buzz feel sick to her core. Gone was the slightly amused grin, the resolute determination and the smile that had once brightened Buzz’s soul just to see.

It was anger, pure and simple. A wounded trust that when broken left only hurt and rage in its wake and Buzz had caused it. “No Scrund it’s not like that honest I was just so happy to see you I...” Buzz looked pleadingly at the other drones but saw only hunters closing on an intruder.

In desperation she released a puff of pheromone, a cloying scent that said she was a friend, a family member and the closing drones paused for a moment. Scrund’s eye glazed for a second before he shook his head angrily and glared at Buzz, “No point in trying that imposter, it may work on the simple drones but not me. I know you’re no changeling.”

“Please let me explain Scrund,” Buzz felt the tears returning and that only seemed to make him angrier.

“Enough! I don’t know what your game is but I will not allow you to get in my way. Not when I’m this close to our...my Queen,” Scrund’s tone was dangerous and the other drones seemed to draw strength from his example.

Buzz was forced backwards. She probably could fight her way free, but that would only make things worse. Her heart was throbbing now, a massive wound torn across her soul. You don’t have a heart remember, you’re a machine. The thought was more painful than ever and she ground her teeth in anger.

Buzz was angry that she was alone in the world, a machine that had a soul: Angry that her emotions warred with her programming at every turn and caused her to crash whenever she got stressed. But most of all she was angry that the first time she’d felt real romantic love for somepony they ended up being a changeling who now wanted to kill her. It was so unfair!

That he’d resisted the simple pheromone trick she’d used on others made him all the more impressive in Buzz’s eyes. She wanted nothing more for that the two of them to spend hours alone, talking about the world, finding a way to bridge the gap between changelings and ponies and..... Buzz felt of all things a blush forming! Now is really not the time.

The closing drones were only moments away from striking Buzz now and she braced her legs in a fighting stance, “Please Scrund, it’s not what you think. I can explain everything and even help you rescue Chrysalis. Just hear me out I beg you.”

Scrund’s eye twitched and the drone’s steady advance halted again, “Why should I trust anything you say imposter? For all I know you could have been using me to get to Chrysalis, to finally wipe us from the world.”

There had to be something she could do to convince him, she didn’t want to lose his..... Buzz blinked as the answer came to her, “Scrund I know you can see my emotions, well look now.”

Buzz let her heart open wide, she let all her worries, her cares and fears flow freely. She didn’t hold anything back: Her love for ‘parents’ Twilight and Tinker, the way she longed for another like her to be possible and the awful despair that it would probably never happen.

She let him taste of her feelings for him, how Scrund had shown Buzz there was so much more to changelings and the brave example he’d been since she’d met him. All of it was bared, nothing held back and Scrund staggered under the weight of it.

Buzz felt his hunger, the deep down gnawing need to consume such feelings. She saw the starving glances the other drones gave her, their mouths open and drooling but didn’t care. At that moment she would have given Scrund it all if he’d only smile at her again.

You are totally insane you know that right? Buzz’s programming gave a metaphorical shrug and put its hooves over its ears, awaiting the inevitable feeding frenzy that would follow.

She waited for what felt an eternity while Scrund trembled, his limbs shaking and face a wash of conflicting emotions of his own. Buzz could ‘see’ the natural inclinations of his body driving him to draw in that substance, the life blood of her soul and devour it like a ravenous beast. But he didn’t.

The other drones had no such compunctions and with the eagerness of starving lions with a fresh kill they piled forward. Buzz closed her eyes and almost welcomed them, maybe if they drained me of all feelings then I won’t hurt anymore? I could stop this half life I struggle with and be just a machine again.

That had been the buried pain deep in Buzz’s spirit, she was one of a kind and it burned. Maybe that was why she always seemed to be getting into trouble. To fill that ache of loneliness? Was all she did simply to try and run from who she was, a machine with a living soul?

Buzz had never spoken such fears out loud, not even to Twilight and certainly not to Tinker. There didn’t seem to be anypony to talk to about such things because she was the first and there was no pony who knew how she felt. The sprites had given Buzz hope for a time, their funny innocent ways making her smile. But they were unlike her in so many other ways.

Emotions were such hard work, life had been so much simpler before they had begun intruding on Buzzbot’s life. Maybe it was better this way?

Buzz felt the tendrils of the first draining spell reach out to snare her exposed soul and readied herself for the pain to follow, hopefully it would be brief. But then the attack evaporated and the other drone’s magical assaults vanished just as quickly.

She trembled for a moment not daring to hope that her gambit had worked. Slowly Buzz opened an eye and saw that the drones had pulled back. They looked to Scrund who was shaking as if gripped by palsy, “I should have realised the first time you acted strange Grizz, but.....”

The tunnel trembled more violently than ever and to Buzzbot’s shock a set of massive claws pierced its ceiling and embedded themselves in the floor. Rocks and dust billowed outwards before Buzz was forced to stumble backwards as a massive hand wrenched the roof away.

The other drones scattered as spike’s enormous snout appeared in the freshly revealed sky and he peered down at them, “Buzz are you there? Please be alright.” He pressed one huge eye into the hole he’d made and Buzz could almost have cried.

Just when she’d been making some headway Spike had caused everything to tumble down again, “Spike! What have you done!” Buzz stamped a hoof and fresh anger flared in her.

“Your last message was cut off, I thought you were in danger,” Spike sounded hurt and his aggrieved innocence only made Buzz’s fury rise.

“I, well...” Buzz glanced down the ruined passageway and to her astonishment saw that Scrund was still there, his mouth hanging open.

Spike shifted his bulk and looked around to follow Buzz’s gaze, “Ah so this must be Scrund correct?” The changeling simply sat on his hunches, utterly transfixed at the sight before him. “Funny I thought he’d be bigger from how you described him.”

Buzz realised she still had tears streaking her face and quickly rubbed them away, “That’s not important right now, we need to find Chrysalis.”

Spike raised an eyebrow, “Are you sure you’re alright, you’ve been crying?”

Buzz felt foolish. She had nearly gone to pieces for a moment there, but Scrund was safe and wasn’t trying to kill her (for the moment). She was in no mood to share her soul again and so covered it with anger, “No I wasn’t, it’s just mucus. You know changeling body and everything.”

Spike continued to watch her carefully until Buzz snapped, “Look we really need to find Chrysalis if we’re going to get any answers okay? We can talk about bodily functions another time.”

Spike grinned slowly, “Whatever you say Grizz.”

Buzz checked on Scrund who was still staring at Spike, his mouth flapping while his eye twitched. She sidled her way past collapsed rock and gently patted the drone on the head, “Don’t worry Scrund we’re going to make things better, let’s go find your mum okay?”


Chrysalis had screamed herself hoarse and still no help had come. She pulled at the chains as several drones scuttled along the passageway, but they paid her no heed and Chrysalis was starting to fear no help would come.

Looking around desperately she saw nothing of use. Stamping her hoof Chrysalis glared at the spreading pool of Ichor, “Finished having a good laugh at my predicament sister, wherever you’ve gone.” She glanced at the still twitching hoof and frowned, “Well if things don’t pick up I’ll be joining you soon. Won’t that be wonderful?”

The congealing pool of slime failed to respond, not that Chrysalis was expecting any reply. She’d simply run out objects to curse and the slowly spreading remains of Ichor would have to do. At least the trembling seemed to have stopped, so hopefully that dragon had wandered off. Why hadn’t it killed her?

Chrysalis gave another yank at her bonds, more for the look of thing than with any hope of escape and sighed in resignation, “What I wouldn’t give for just one vaguely competent underling.” As if in response Chrysalis caught a familiar scent in the air.

Looking up with undisguised excitement Chrysalis saw two equine shapes approaching. These weren’t running in a blind panic but advanced cautiously along as if fearing attack at any moment.

Chrysalis took a deep breath and her frown slowly morphed into a sly grin, “’Praetorian’ is that you?” She waited as the two figures slunk into the light cast from the shattered ceiling above and Chrysalis felt her heart leap, “Scrund it really is you. I thought you’d died when the hive fell.”

Scrund stepped forward reverently and quickly bowed to Chrysalis, “No my Queen, but it was a close call. I have been living off....” Chrysalis was in no mood for Scrund’s problems and cut him off sharply.

“Yes, yes very good Praetorian I’m sure it was horrible, but enough of that. You and your drone are to get me out of these chains,” Chrysalis waved a dismissive hoof as she tapped her hind leg impatiently.

“Yes my Queen, but it’s not that simple this is no dro....” Chrysalis cut him off once more. Underlings talking back to her, had she really fallen that far?

“Quite frankly Scrund, I don’t care. Now get-me-out,” She released a commanding pheromone just for good measure. Her Praetorian’s single eye glazed over and without another word he advanced to do her bidding. Right now we have some order here I can...

It was Chrysalis’ turn to be cut off as she realised the mere drone was glaring at her, “Don’t just stand there you fool, remove these chains from me!” Still the drone didn’t move and Chrysalis felt her anger rising along with a mixture of confusion. This little mite was from her brood so her orders should be instantly obeyed.

Chrysalis’ eyes narrowed, he was from her brood? She studied the impudent grub and slowly saw that her first impression wasn’t completely accurate, “Who are you?” Chrysalis peered closer. Yes there it was, a slight flicker in the aura of this...

“Asss I said my Queen thissss isssh no simple drone, but says he’s here to help,” Scrund’s words were slightly slurred. Maybe I over did it on the command pheromones?

The newcomer finally spoke, “Well you’re more observant than most of the other changelings here.”

Chrysalis sniffed again, the scent was superficially right, but he...no. What was odd about the drone before her suddenly came into focus, “You smell like a female, that’s what’s wrong with you little grub.”

There was a choking sound from Scrund and he stared wide eyed at the drone, “You’re not serious my Queen, I mean he must be a he! I mean look at him.”

Chrysalis rolled her eyes, “Scrund, I can tell you most assuredly that whatever this ‘drone’ is it’s a girl.” She glared at the mystery before her, “A Queen can tell these things.”

If the drone was phased by her assessment it gave no sign but simply continued to glare at Chrysalis with...What? Not anger, but jealousy? Well that would make sense: She was the mighty Chrysalis and the maggot should be.

She caught Scrund watching the drone with wide eyed confusion, the chains completely forgotten, “Hey you stupid child, I told you to undo these chains.”

The flash of anger was like a fire and Chrysalis was amazed to realise it came from the drone. Looking around she saw its eyes full of passionate, protective love for Scrund. Its very next words confirmed that assessment.

“Look you ungrateful bug, Scrund’s done everything in his power to rescue you. You could at least be grateful,” The drone’s manner was almost ‘regal’ in its directness. Chrysalis could recall her mother sounding like that, oh far too many years ago. Well if I had any doubt it wasn’t a real drone then that clinches the deal. No drone would have that much independence.

Chrysalis felt a sneer forming, “You (whatever you are) do not tell me how to speak to my children.” She felt her hackles rise and lifted her nose at ‘it’.

“Grizz-is-a-girl?” Scrund’s voice couldn’t have sounded more lost.

Chrysalis sighed, “Yes Scrund, he smells like a she alright? Get over it and focus on the chains.”

“But that would make him - her - a queen, but you’re mother so how can she be of our brood and be queen. You’re our Queen?” Scrund’s whining continued and Chrysalis hissed angrily. She was about to berate him again when she saw that ‘Grizz’ looked almost as shocked as her praetorian.

She cocked an eyebrow, “Well we certainly have a lot to talk about,” Chrysalis glared at Scrund, “Once I’m free.”

Scrund shook his head and began working on the manacles again. Chrysalis regarded Grizz with interest. It seemed her child had a great attraction to this oddity and Chrysalis found her curiosity aroused, “So you’re here to help us?”

Grizz refocused on her and frowned, “That depends.”

Chrysalis sneered, “On what pray tell?”

“If you asked for it,” Chrysalis felt her brow furrow at Grizz’s reply.

She studied Grizz, “Surely you mean if I ask for it?”

There was a long pause as Chrysalis stared deeply into the un-drone’s eyes and was silently impressed that it could hold her gaze. Both she and Grizz snapped their heads about as a metallic clang sounded out.

Scrund had kicked the ring embedded in the ground which held her bonds, but sadly achieved nothing. Chrysalis felt her heart sink, Oh well, needs must. She pouted at Grizz, “Fine, please help me.”

Grizz didn’t move for a moment and Chrysalis shook her head with irritation, “Look If you’re waiting for me to beg then forget it. Not going to happen.” She watched Grizz with disdain and was about to snarl with anger when a shadow eclipsed the sunlight from above. Terror gripped Chrysalis as she saw the dragon, huge and terrible had returned.

“Oh shell rot, please-please-please let me out. We’re all going to die!” Chrysalis would have clapped her fore hooves together and pleaded with Grizz for help. To her horror Grizz simply grinned wickedly.

The dragon with lazy slowness, reached down with one massive claw and Chrysalis could only screw her eyes shut and scream with fear. She felt the claw brush against her back before with a screeching sound the chains binding Chrysalis snapped and she felt herself being lifted into the air.

Grizz’s simpering voice called out and Chrysalis opened her eyes to see the dragon was slowly lowering her to the ground once again, “See, all you had to do was ask nicely.”